Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am pumped as hell for this. Hajime is rad, all the old characters are cool, and the new ones look fun, too.

Gonna have to run this on loop for a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0I9LQ2EOA

: >

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So when is Hajime going to kiss the new girl?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

They aren't the only ones who need to kiss :3:

I think he's doing pretty alright for himself without her.

Also Jou and OD still have the best Gatchaman form designs. Hell, I wish I were as stylish as they are in their normal looks.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The note is from Joe

Agree on the designs; O.D.'s suit is my favorite, kinda sucks he can't use it without destroying planets and whatnot.

I still think it's cool how that was something shown from the very beginning in the literal OP of the show but its presence in the OP only gained that significance after the reveal.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's cool how much this season's first episode is basically a flipped reflection of the first season's. The story beats are similar but the response of the gatchamen is the opposite of what it was the first time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hajime is obviously still a growing girl.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Yeah it's kinda like how she handled the MESS alien at the beginning of the show, it was just so incredibly different. Everyone else assumed they were hostile and kept futilely trying to fight them while hajime's first instinct was to try and understand the MESS. I like the dynamic her viewpoint forces on the more conventionally thinking cast.

Regarding the MESS, I didn't notice it the first time, but when rewatching the first episode a couple days ago, I caught that JJ says something like chaos not necessarily being a threat, which is absolutely Hajime's point of view.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The short hair is a good look for him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wait, so the ostensible villain this time has the motivation of "People aren't ready for the Crowds and we'll prove it to you by being dicks with them, something we presumably have full control over"?

Though I suspect the real big problem will be Katze taking over Hajime and Tsubasa will fix it by kissing her.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gel's jokes are terrible and it owns. AOTY.

I hope Katze never escapes and Hajime talking to her very rude boobs just becomes a running gag.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 19, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yep this is pretty much how I felt when it ended too.

No loving kidding. I just finished the episode and god drat. How is this show so good?

Edit: Man, it must piss OD off so much to hear someone going off about how people can't call themselves heroes if they can't protect anyone.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 19, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I look forward to all the pretty sparkles when Hajime and Tsubasa clash.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I may be remembering wrong, but I don't think Rui identifies as female.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

It's really telling that it's been an entire season with this character and I still have no idea what she's thinking.

And yet somehow that fact doesn't feel like bullshit at all, and I can't put my finger on why. Somehow they're pulling off a character who has incredible intuition and terrible communication without it feeling cheap.

Also I wonder how exactly Gelsadra's mind-taking works. Is each person heard equally or do louder people drown out others? I'm sure this will probably be addressed at some point.

The show also makes a strong case for dudes wearing heels.

Edit: Oh poo poo Sugayama just classic gaffed hard.

poo poo, this entire episode is a criticism of highly publicized election cycles, and Japan's is probably nowhere near as bad as the US's.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 2, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not even 2 minutes in and Hajime has already figured out Tsubasa's problem. Also, I kind of suspect that if uniting people in aggression against a common enemy ends up being what Gel resorts to, it seems more likely that Gel will try to unite people against himself rather than against Crowds or the gatchas.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 9, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know what, gently caress it. I'm not even going to try to predict where this story is going to go, because I will certainly be wrong. The garden of Eden tent with the tree of knowledge and snakes is a bit on the nose.

PS The OP and ED are still really really good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 9, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Sugayama is a fascinating character. As a foil to Gel, he has to be weak and petty, yet at the same time, this is a career politician who has never lost his core idealism.

I like Sugayama a lot for basically the same reason, and I think overall he's shown somewhat sympathetically and probably as a decent enough option. He's not thrown up as some total ideal, given that he is still in some (as far as we know mild) ways corrupt and has a case of foot-in-mouth disease, but it's clear that he tries to do what he thinks is best for the people and does understand them. The fact that he actually did put his neck on the line for the general election and tries to help Gel speaks well for him. Hell, even the general populace really didn't have a problem with him, and his gaffes would have blown over under normal circumstances.

Of course, I'm also approaching this, as I assume a lot of others here are, through the lens of terrible American politics. Thinking about it, Sugayama actually reminds me of something Obama said after the ACA was upheld most recently. Sugayama is a reminder of why good people go into politics.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 10, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

As mentioned it's to try and prevent corruption. Yeah they don't need that much. But it's better they be well payed then taking bribes and corrupt.

You say that like the former prevents the latter from happening. If anything it makes it more likely.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Not necessarily a spoiler - that sounds like the track that might have played when Rui was letting Rizumu stab his NOTE.

I will choose to believe that is the case, because I do not want any of the best characters to die.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't hate Tsubasa but she's frustrating because her opinions are basically the idiot opinions of a child because she is a dumb child.

You have been spoiled by Hajime.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Did Gel always have high heels? The camera lingering on them reminded me a lot of Berg-Katze at the least.

Adult Gel always had them, I think. Remember, Gatchaman is a series about pushing fashion boundaries.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Having just now watched the episode, god drat what a cliffhanger to end on. And I really doubt that Gelsadra is going to end up doing any puppy kicking. That would be too easy and out of character for the show. He doesn't know what's going on that's causing the weird bear things, which are probably the manifestations of the dissent and anti-social impulses that people suppress to get along. The scary thing about him will probably be what he tries to do to respond to it. I think what happened is that he didn't understand that his "Leave it up to Gelsadra" option doesn't solve anything or unite people on anything other than not wanting to have to deal with something. All the dissent is still there, and probably worse since people will feel powerless even if they knowingly disenfranchised themselves. Also he's not pregnant, it's just really bad gas.

And I definitely think Tsubasa is still seeing kid Gelsadra and being in such close proximity to him all the time must have unknowingly messed with her.

Also DD is no OD. Get him off the show.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think it could really only be improved by hat and cat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lessail posted:

Berg Katze is the most relatable character

Berg Katze is a boob.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think the show needs to explicitly tell us why Jou might be having second thoughts.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

a kitten posted:

My internet is out, this is terrible!

I share your suffering.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

God drat, these cliffhangers.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I liked the part of the episode where it was an episode of Gatchaman Crowds Insight.

Which Gatchaman design is the coolest (after OD's of course)? I have to go with Sugane's, personally.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just hope there is a season 3.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This show was very good and I am glad Hajime is okay.

.jpg posted:

Gatcha!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Considering the season started with Rizumu's anti-CROWDS campaign, I think it is fairly sensible to expect that there would be organizations showing up with a clear interest in Gelsadra being put under watch or somehow being kept from doing this kind of thing again.

Also with the Gathamen's show of power, I expect there could be some blowback about that. There's plenty of potential material for the third season I really hope we get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I KNEW I FORGOT TO WATCH SOMETHING.

Gatcha!

• Locked thread