Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I think we should talk about Gatchaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Then wait for it to drop.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

In Training is going to have a lot of posts to catch up on.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Tsubasa's problem is she's a very earnest, straight-forward person who only thinks in the short term. As a team member she'd be a valuable asset, but in a leadership position she's just a liability.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know how much of an asset she's actually been to the team though. She's openly disregarded orders and pleas from other team members and does her own thing without regard to the consequences. She tends to fully ignore what people are trying to tell her with their best intentions, she just goes "Nope this is right because look here its working"
This is because she's assumed a leadership position in her own mind. If you don't think she's been much of an asset, that's because so far...she hasn't. She's young, she's been chosen, and she wants to be a hero. She's also inexperienced, brash, and awkward. She can't even transform on command. She's not very useful, but she wants to be useful. She wants to be useful right now, in ways that make sense for her to be useful. When the opportunity arises, she "Takes charge" and takes it. Her reluctance to listen to her teammates probably stems less from an inability to understand and more from a refusal to discount her own meager accomplishments.

"I didn't do the right thing? How could helping people ever not be the right thing? I don't get it."

My point was she has the potential to be useful, but not in the position to which she has promoted herself.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's righteous anger, I think. Both times she's transformed it's been in response to some manner of perceived injustice (not that they weren't legitimate injustices).

As for why JJ picked her, I think we're going to need to finish the show to discern that. He certainly had his reasons for picking Hajime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

A good avatar, but you should've waited.

.jpeg knows how to make the backgrounds invisible.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fair enough.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He'd better not skip Paiman.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

a kitten posted:

Yeah for reals

This makes me wonder whether we'll get long-haired Katze or short-haired Katze.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If he ends up doing JJ that box better end up oblong.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If Paiman doesn't get a sprite I'm gonna rename this thread the Paiman Appreciation Station.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Looking forward to Hajime and crew talking to somebody off-screen the audience is never permitted to see.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Imagine a picture of me applauding here, but with sincerity.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yuru-jii getting real about Japan and WWII was both cool and surprising. Usually they just kinda sweep that under the rug in my experience, so for him to just straight up say "we just went along with it and did some regrettable poo poo" was pretty impressive.
Shouldn't be that surprising, they've been setting up for a scene/speech like that from the beginning, what with the memorial shrine in his room.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Crimes against fashion and humanity.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Valhawk posted:

This is really interesting. It sort of makes me wonder if there has ever really been an attempt in an even slightly mainstream anime to address the Japanese occupation of China or other Japanese war crimes either literally or metaphorically/figuratively?
Fullmetal Alchemist, the manga and Brotherhood.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought Arakawa said that was more about the genocide of the Ainu? So similar, but not quite the same.
The manga deals directly with human experimentation, one of the nastier aspects of Japanese imperialism (which itself is not a thing lacking in nasty aspects), as well as discussing the fault and guilt of the individual soldier in the grand scheme of war. There are other themes of military excess and war profiteering, racial discrimination and subjugation, and the suppression of indigenous cultures as a means of control. Much of Arakawa's writing is informed by the Ainu people's experience, yes, but her points carry implications and ramifications for Japanese imperialism as a whole. Many of the themes I just mentioned are equally valid when applied to the Japanese occupation of Korea.

Even if they didn't, however, Valhawk asked for a mainstream anime commenting on "Any" Japanese war crimes, and I would certainly consider genocide committed against a particular group of people to fall under that umbrella.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Finally got caught up on this and Yuru-jii's speech was good. His description of the Japanese getting wrapped up in the "Flow" of war actually mirrors the sentiment found in a lot of letters and diary entries from that time period. Lots of writing about feeling adrift in a war that had simply become the state of things. One diary entry in particular I'll always remember belonged to a low-ranking officer who went on and on for paragraphs complaining about his superiors and the commanders and his country and the war, only to close with "But we're at war and I'm a soldier, so I can only execute my duties while keeping my thoughts in my head." Or something to that effect. Lots of people wishing for the war to end with no conception of how that might be possible. Even a couple expressing hope for Japan's defeat. One guy was so lost in the haze of war he didn't even think "Peace" existed.

Which is to say, someone who in their youth was romanced by Japanese militarism and nationalism and "Woke up" from the dream would probably talk about their experiences the way Yuru-jii does.

I didn't want to say anything earlier cause I hadn't seen the episode, but yeah, sorry Walrus, your post was kinda overblown. While I don't think Gatchaman was intended to function as a historical allegory, even if it was it's clear that Tsubasa's grandfather is talking from a personal perspective, not a grand, overarching, "But you see the people in charge-" perspective.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 20, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Insight is good, unlike Darth Walrus' fixation on WWII allegories.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Updating the world, BRB.

0% complete, 24 hours remaining.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

100% complete, world updated.

Post The Thread.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Allarion posted:

Good ending, good show.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I definitely feel like JJ is sometimes underappreciated.

Rather than rejecting his guidance and authority, usually brought up as a proxy for rejecting a "God" figure, I feel like the Gatchaman have simply learned better than to wait for his instructions. They know what they're supposed to do, what they've been empowered by him to do; their mistake was waiting on some kind of divine sign to propel them forward when, really, they already had all the tools they needed.

JJ's selection of Hajime in season one was most likely intended to transform the Gatchamen from a reactive force to a proactive one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Apparently X was the "Villain" of the third season of the original Gatchaman, so I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to address those concerns with the next installment of Crowds (assuming there is one).

• Locked thread