Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I just saw Crowds for the first time like a week or two ago and boy what a fantastic show. Turns out my idiot friend is still a moron cause he told me to skip it because it wasn't an Action MOTW Show like old Gatchaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

the new alien is going to destroy society

If everyone is dead then they're always uniform.

Also it's kinda weird that the middle aged dad was the only one to name Utsusu in the crowd.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Oh yea like the MESS was.

Except the MESS were shown to be bad guys first. Clearly Gel is going to be the reverse. Seriously, the Red Emotion bubbles and laughing monster things seem pretty ominous.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

He probably fights her and her unification desire separately from the Gatchaman's efforts/

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Paiman is still the best character on the show

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

It seems like all of the Gatcha have a sort of idealism. Even Jou, the most pragmatic has a certain ideal that he desires and want to see in others, but he knows others don't have it which is why he's so bitter about it.

Jou's also the only one who budge on his ideals so far, admitting that he knows that the way things are going and the things he's doing to help aren't what the should be happening, but he'll do it anyway since maybe it'll lead to his dream. But it's not going to, because he balked when others stood firm. Hilariously, it seems it was Rui's willingness to die for his beliefs that made Jou compromise. It feels like Jou's arc is going to be more about questioning his actions in how he pursues his ideals instead of the ideals which makes a neat set with Rui, whose ideals are being tested and attacked left and right, and Tsubasa, who has really simple ideals but doesn't think about them nor how they actually stand in the harsh light of reality.

Gatchaman is a good show.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Man Jou's rage is palpable. He's going to start smoking again at some point in this season, I can feel it. Also I was expecting Tsubasa's confrontation with her granpa at some point but not this early, I was expecting her to butt heads with Hajime a few times again before moving on to grandpa but maybe she'll clash one more time with him just in time for the brothers backstory to tie in with the events.

Also there are slight hints with for the coming conflict looks like Gel is having an interest to Hajime having Katze inside of her. Really there isn't much of a difference between believing Crowds is bad and letting someone with a weapon of mass destruction inside of her walking about. Both are based on mistrusting people. So I'm guessing some manner of conflict is going to erupt from this

The way he eye balls her when she doesn't do the breathing technique with every one kind of hammers in that he thinks somethings up because she's such a non-conformist.

I'm willing to bet that 'exhaling properly' is doing it at your own pace. Every time he chastised someone for not exhaling properly was when they were mimicking his pace and pattern.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 8, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Misguided and simple-minded can do a shitload of damage.

That said, I wonder if the show could have benefited from Tsubasa's stance being given a bit more nuance and sympathy. Having the everygirl character be a dimwit with awful opinions about everything does seem to fly in the face of the show's positive, humanist message, especially since the show does usually try to make even those making bad decisions likeable and human. I mean, Rui was kinda-sorta-technically an antagonist for much of Season One, and he's always been one of the most sympathetic characters in the show.

I dunno, for the most part the average person, who Tsubasa is our stand in for, seem to be genuinely happy and content with things as they are right now. Her stance is shown enough sympathy from that. It's just that she, and most people, are thinking in the short term, which we know is going to some bad poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Actually going through some form of struggle, outwarldy matters to her and impacts her life and not being an actual moon person helps a lot there, tho.

Jou, Sugane, and Rui have all of those too. Sugane less this season than last but still. To think she's the only relatable person for these reasons is kinda dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Do they? Slipped my mind. I remember having their one problem each that Hajime solves instantly in most cases because Hajime. I certainly never found any of them relatable characters so much as hollow viewpoint mouthpieces. Hell, Jou and Rui still are.

Rui comes to his own solution and realization in the big finale while all by himself and sees his faith in humanity restored. Jou gets over his shame and fear of failure thanks to Sugane showing him how much good Jou's actions as a person did for him.

Sugane's problem was being too rigid and closed in on himself, struggling to do anything that isn't just following orders and falling into the rut that is normal selfish thinking. Admittedly a lot of his personal growth does come from his relationships with Hajime and Rui, but they ultimately are fulfilled by his actions to inspire Jou and aiding the good crowds to stop the Neo100.

And I don't understand how you can think they're hollow mouthpieces without lumping in Tsubasa since she, at least as far as this season has gone, has spent every moment of discussion or debate going "But I'm simple and don't like to think about things. How's an average person like me supposed to understand what you're saying!" She's the most static argument in the show. At least Jou and Rui show progress and change through Season 1 and The election/Talks with VAPE BOY. Jou is angry at himself for betraying his ideals by using bad means to possibly achieve a good end and Rui is questioning if what he did with CROWDS was really the right thing to do. Tsubasa is just doubling down on her blissful ignorance, which the show is obviously setting up for some twist or turn, but it does make her feel more static, more character and less like a person.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 18, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It wasn't the breathing in the park that made Jou question his actions, it was literally all of Gelsadra's actions to dismantle central government, etc. I understand not liking a character but you could at least pay attention to the character arcs as they go on since they'll probably play off one another.

And I'm not annoyed with Tsubasa's turn to her current nature. Sure I find her annoying as she is now, but I realize that's the point of the character and the double down she's doing on her ideals makes 100% sense in character, especially given her not understanding anything her Grandfather's tried to teach her (It's actually a really good set up and turn, he's teaching her simple things in a difficult manner and she doesn't understand in rebellion she wants to handle difficult things in a simple manner).

But even with that she's kind of the least compelling character that isn't Paiman. She represents a very naive world very that is very caring and well-natured but is very dangerous. Everything about Tsubasa is fireworks. Her transformation, her anger, her aspirations and thoughts for the future. They're all fancy and pretty and seem like good things but they fade/will fade very quickly. At least for now. I feel like she will become a much better and whole person/character as the show goes on, but I don't need to see much from her in any episode until that ball really gets rolling. Besides the conflict between her And Joe/Rui her whole contribution in the past few episodes have equated to basically just be holding Gel's hand and hammering in the change in zeitgeist we see with the general populous.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 19, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

I don't think the show needs to explicitly tell us why Jou might be having second thoughts.

It's the same with how it doesn't need to show exactly what Tsubasa or Hajime are thinking at this moment. We'll probably get to it soon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

"Sorry for taking so long!" Hajime says, but it is too late. I am already Gloomy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Those lyrics for "Because the cat/Katze jumped red." Real poo poo happening maybe soon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So Gramps is dead meat right now, right? I'm guessing his being taken will shake Tsubasa up and possibly out of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Terper posted:

"When the scarlet conductor changes his melody, the people will lose their own colors, and bear their fangs in err at the colorless wind."

I guess it means Gel will be persuaded by Tsubasa to not unite everyone in the way he's doing it, but it's too late because everyone's coked up on the Kuus and will attempt to attack Gel because he goes against the atmosphere?

Unless the scarlet conductor refers to Rizumi?

The scarlet conductor is definitely Rizumi. Gel is the colorless wind, he doesn't really have an opinion or will and just does what it takes to unite people. he doesn't create the atmosphere like people did/do.

It's why everyone has to go protect Gel, because the situation is about to turn.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

So yeah, we could actually chat about the historical and political context of a highly political show, or you could ignore every other word I said and go off on a big weird rant at me again. Look, I tried to politely ignore this the past couple of times it happened, but jesus christ, dude, the gently caress is your problem, and why does me writing words on the Internet about something I'm interested in cause you to go off like this?

Nothing you said has anything to do with how the show said anything and the writers presented it. It's all literally the opposite of you're huge spiel about history where you are hilariously trying to force characters and moments into slots to fit your short sighted understand of another country's history and how they talk about it. It's extra hilarious because you're trying to force a show that's so much about the here and now and how people interact in and with modern society into an overextended metaphor about history over half a century old and saying "I find this is kind of bad and gross in this context that I made up for these events."

That's dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 21, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sugane's drunk screaming was the same reaction I had.

This is the best show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I definitely feel like JJ is sometimes underappreciated.

Rather than rejecting his guidance and authority, usually brought up as a proxy for rejecting a "God" figure, I feel like the Gatchaman have simply learned better than to wait for his instructions. They know what they're supposed to do, what they've been empowered by him to do; their mistake was waiting on some kind of divine sign to propel them forward when, really, they already had all the tools they needed.

JJ's selection of Hajime in season one was most likely intended to transform the Gatchamen from a reactive force to a proactive one.

From Caged birds to the wings the protect the planet. JJ is a super cool and chill guy. He's the best character just like everyone else.

• Locked thread