Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'd prefer it if the CROWDS all looked the same whether they were helping out or being controlled by VAPE. Red CROWDS look cool and all, but it'd be a more effective scare tactic on VAPE's part if you had blue CROWDS swoop in and mess up an area and then blue CROWDS swoop in and clean it up. Then you could get tension later on whether the CROWD nearby is a good one or a bad one. Then again, this could just be a smokescreen so when VAPE pulls off something really evil with blue CROWDS they can blame other people instead of themselves, which could be the last straw to get people to turn against CROWDS entirely. As usual, I'm probably overthinking things though.

I think it's pretty obvious well get a big throw down with Red vs. Blue CROWDS at some point though, and the color difference will make that fight a lot prettier and easier to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

so we actually have a bunch of guys doing sandy hooks and running false flags to take away Crowds rights.

Yeah, I think it's an interesting hook because the real world comparison would be someone trying to organize shooting incidents to get rid of guns, or organizing hacking attacks to get rid of Facebook. It seems like it shouldn't work at all, but Vape seems to be doing a good job showing how giving everyone access to a giant blobby avatar to pilot as they wish isn't a good idea, and like most good villains they have a point.

The best implementation of a "Do good things for society and be rewarded" social media program would track it as you do those things yourself, but that's never been nailed down because it too easily comes across as bragging and it relies on people getting off their butts. Tracking fitness and health is becoming a big thing now though, so that's really just one step removed. I think someone will figure out a way to really nail a "Good deeds" social media experience at some point though, it's definitely a moneymaker if you can figure it out. I can't imagine a social platform that would have an easier time getting sponsor participation. "Participate in a Flash mob to clean up the local park for a $5 coupon at X business" for example. It'd basically come down to gameifying good actions by creating various real life quests and a constant experience bar that unlocks occasional set rewards at certain levels and special events for various holidays or big events (Olympics, World Cup, etc.) I could see the CROWDS program converting to doing good things in person at the end, maybe involving a tech variation of the new alien's power?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Weren't they basically doing that in the season 1 finale, even assigning point values for taking down the abusive CROWDS?

Yeah, and that's the system they have now at the start of S2 (as seen with the father/daughter team cleaning up graffiti), but it's done through taking over a CROWDS, which VAPE is also using to stage terrorist attacks. I'm thinking the big change through this season will be people doing stuff like cleaning up graffiti on their own without using a CROWDS, since CROWDS will end up being voted into heavy regulation or outright forbidden. It's a bit more utopian that way with social media leading to a better community while also increasing face-to-face interaction, but it's also a loss since CROWDS can do things humans can't and with less risk to human life, like swift rescue operations in dangerous conditions.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It's probably not gonna happen, but it'd be interesting if during Sugane's first time at Gatcha headquarters (the circular area with lots of numbers where J.J. hangs out) she pops out of a portal at a higher number than we expect, like 110 instead of 103 (Hajime was 101, presumably Rui is 102). There's lots of reasons that could be, ranging from the Gatcha numbers representing all the Gatchamen made in the universe and not just on Earth to a Gatchaman being recruited between seasons and dying, away on a secret mission or having turned evil. I recall Berg-Katze having a Gatcha-style transformation he could bust out, so I guess they wouldn't go to that well twice, but you never know.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah yeah, I jumble up names all the time in the worst way. I guess there's no rhyme or reason to the numbers then, if that's how it breaks down. That's a shame.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Conot posted:

I wonder what the big deal is with Tsubasa not being able to transform unless shes angry. No one seems to have really gone "oh, yeah, that happens to everyone", and our only other frame of reference is Hajime from season 1, who figured it out as soon as she knew the activation phrase.

I'm sure that'll be explaiend sooner or later. My guess right now is it's related to her running away from J.J. and not being all "cool, Gatcha me up!" like Hajime was. Probably something to do with not embracing either being a Gatchaman or an aspect of her personality, and when she resolves that conflict she'll do a normal Gatcha transformation, be way more powerful and save everyone.

It's pretty bread and butter, but bread and butter is delicious and I wouldn't mind if they went with something along these lines.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

i wish to suffer the same fate as katze

:sparkles:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

That doesn't quite top the Death Parade .gif, but it's a strong #2.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Fangz posted:

Jesus, Rui. Being you is truly suffering.

Yeah, good grief. Maybe somewhere between the second and third time the guy stabbed the physical embodiment of your soul you should realize that he is in fact a bad guy and you should accept help from your team of superfriends. The only way it could be worse is if he was trashing Rui for his gender identity while he did it.

Since thinking about how anime could be super dark is kind of my thing, my dark prediction is that the bad guy gets away with Rui's note, then uses Rui's transformed bird to cause even more havoc. Rui either dies (unlikely with Utsusu around) or has to watch mostly helplessly as all of her ideals are crushed by a someone using his own image. Even if it doesn't go down like that, the bad guy's got a note of his own, so we really ought to see a properly dark Gatchaman getting into fights with the team, the closest thing we got to it last season was a few small bits in the last episode when O.D. and Katze threw down.

I also don't really get what O.D. and the rest of the gang's deal was. Apparently a Gatchaman can just be dying before their eyes, but if they say they don't want help it's cool? They don't know about the villain's threat to step things up to outright murder, which would make their hesitation believable to me. As it is it just makes them look dumb while the newbie is like, what the gently caress guys, let's go. O.D. is basically a bundle of psychological trauma in a top hat so I can almost see where he's coming from, but everyone else, including Hajime of all people, was really acting oddly.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ha, I knew that opening the voting up so literally anyone of any age can both vote and be a candidate was going to be a huge mistake, and then 3 minutes later it was proven true. Kids and women are going to vote for Gel like crazy, and honestly the idea of a super-powered alien who wants to bring peace, end conflict and grant wishes is very tempting across the board. I was expecting Gel to say that he was really 100+ years old, but having him just transform into a young adult on a whim was pretty solid too.

So I guess we're heading toward Gel banning CROWDS after being elected, trying to start instrumentality, and the only way to stop him is to bring back CROWDS and have everyone unite against him?

Also, how could you bring up Hajime's 101 ranking and not use this smilie Fangs: :eng101:?

MonsterEnvy posted:

This appears to be another reference to the original show. Gel Sadra was a young girl that got aged up, to better take the role of Galactor leader, She also happened to be voiced by a man despite being female in her adult state.

The whole reason Gel changes his form here is to be older and more electable, and given his voice and mannerisms until that point I think it's entirely possible that Gel went from a more feminine appearance/gender to masculine to be a more appealing candidate, and doesn't really have a set gender as Earth understands it. I mean, I was certainly thinking Gel was female all along, and now he's clearly a male bishie. It might just be done as a reference to the original though, and you can also certainly make a case that he was just a young boy with a high pitched voice earlier. If it was a female to male transformation, it'd be interesting to see Rui's reaction to that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Nope. That doesn't work since Paiman is G-3, OD is G-12, Joe is G-89 and Utsusu is G-99

Nah, that holds up. O.D. blew up his home planet, so that's pretty drat incompetent. What has Paiman done that's worse than that :ohdear:?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm fairly sure we'll see Gel + Tsubasa vs. the rest of the Gatchamen at some point. Tsubasa has been shown palling around with Gel too much to not be on his side for at least the start of a fight between the two sides. I don't know who else is going to be the last antagonist if Gel isn't either, unless our favorite red haired prisoner has a Gatcha transformation he's been hiding.

I think Hajime's gray emotional indicator will be important eventually as well.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Our new alien leader has disbanded most of the government and assumed sole control of the country :yayclod:. This is going to spiral marvelously down the drain, it's going to be great.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Kylra posted:

If the monsters end up being super-evil, I think that almost amounts to the same thing as kicking a puppy, so I hope they're actually cuddly teddy bears that try to fix everything.

I'm sure that monster lunging at a woman on the ground was just trying to help her back onto her feet.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I'm sure that monster lunging at a woman on the ground was just trying to help her back onto her feet.

You all thought I was being sarcastic, but I was being serious. drat you, limitations of internet communication :argh:!

Also, I can't believe no one made the connection that Kuus look like barber poles, or if someone did I missed it. They're trimming the population until everyone is one just like barbers trim hairs.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 2, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Conot posted:

I wonder if they have a concept of discretion, or they're gonna start eating people in plain view. They don't seem bothered by Jou seeing that.

It probably won't matter much either way, I doubt Jou's going to get eaten and once he spreads the word it'll be big-time Gatchaman action scene crackdown time. I'm also pretty sure Jou's anti-social friend, and any other people eaten, will get spit back out with no ill effects by the end of the season.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Fangz posted:

Man, how many children have the Kuu eaten up to this point?

Well that depends, just how likely do you think it is that 3 or more children wanted to do something and any smaller number of them wanted to do something else? So yeah, literally thousands of children should be missing at this point.

This episode did a good job of revealing exactly what's up with the Kuus, and how they're creating a society that is somehow more terrifying and dystopian than the one in Psycho-Pass, an anime that featured someone being beaten to death in a crowd while dozens of bystanders looked on not knowing what the hell to do.

Solid Mana Dad was rad too.

I hadn't considered that Rizumu could be the Scarlet Conductor, but now that you mention it that totally makes the most sense. I think we're heading for a Crowds vs. Kuus mass face-off, kind of like the crowds on crowds combat at the end of season 1.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I was starting to wonder if we weren't seeing the groundwork for season 3 right there.

Yeah, I got a bit of that vibe there, which I'd be okay with.

I definitely did not see Tsubasa transforming into a rad hoverbike coming. It's weird because the shape definitely suggests someone should be riding the bike, but... that seems like it would be awkward as hell.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Hajime is going to ride her

I don't think I'm prepared for the level of innuendo that Hajime scissoring her enemies while riding Tsubasa would entail.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hajime died for our sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

In Training posted:

I'm sure you want to know how long you've been asleep, Hajime-chan. I'm afraid it's been...nine years.

Ha, lopped off left arm and everything, it really fits! I'm just getting into Metal Gear V now, so far it's blowing my goddamn mind. I'm looking forward to going back and doing the missions properly stealthy when I have more resources and abilities, right now I'm slowly getting the hang of it but inevitably I get spotted and it's time for a murderspree.

I hope we get more, I need my Gatcha infusion every few years. Gatcha!

• Locked thread