Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
G-G-G-GATCHAMAAAAAAN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Episode 0 is a really good way to get even more excited for this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I wasn't aware of the OVA until just recently, so I'm giving it a watch, and my God they subbed the OP. I'd forgotten how ridiculous it is. It's also a really good OP.

Oh it's just the director's cut 12th episode. Lame.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 3, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

chumbler posted:

I am pumped as hell for this. Hajime is rad, all the old characters are cool, and the new ones look fun, too.

Gonna have to run this on loop for a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0I9LQ2EOA

: >

I wish we could make this loop automatically while folks are in this thread.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I encourage someone to challenge Namtab.

e: challenged!

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 5, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I encourage someone to challenge Namtab.

e: Sakurazuka says he's taking this, so hands off!

that wasn't an edit at all!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This is off to a great start. There really is a lot going on here, and I feel like the purpose of a lot of it really isn't going to be clear for a few episodes. I definitely interpret Hajime's gray bubble as detachment, whether that's reflecting her being unaffected by others' moods or just her own mood. Tsubasa's fun so far.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

I hope there isn't a definitive answer to that question.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Endorph posted:

that would make a killer av

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

.jpg posted:

gatcha!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Normie Slayer posted:

It just occurred to me that Hajime defeated Katze using his own means.

and her giant breasts.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

On that note, I have a suspicion that Hajime is going to get a rude awakening at some point. S1 spent alot of time focusing on Hajime, and she always took care to explain and articulate her madcap logic. This season, they're not explaining it in as much detail. Instead, we have that odd gray unchanging bubble over Hajime's head, and Tsubasa making frequent glances at Hajime's face, trying to read her expression. But she's not getting an answer. Tsubasa trusts in Hajime's decisions, she wants to trust in Hajime's decisions, but Hajime might just be over her head.

I could buy that as a direction the show might go, but has she made any controversial decisions this season? She's just been playing the role of celebrity/senpai. Everything she's done so far has been pretty common sense: fighting folks that are actively being a menace, being nice to strangers, calming folks down.

Actually, the more I think on it, the more I think it wouldn't make sense for the show to take that tack. Hajime embodies a spirit of kindness and communication, and it would be very odd of the show to call those ideals into question.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
insight
CROWDS
GATCHAMAN

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
You have changed your av and your name and it is confusing. I didn't realize it was you until I saw the youtube user.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Momomo posted:

I'm really hoping they aren't just saving Hajime's views as some kind of trump card to make everything alright.

Yeah, I feel like that's the real trap they have to avoid this season. It'd turn Hajime into what naysayers claimed she was in the first season.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

NowonSA posted:

I'm fairly sure we'll see Gel + Tsubasa vs. the rest of the Gatchamen at some point. Tsubasa has been shown palling around with Gel too much to not be on his side for at least the start of a fight between the two sides. I don't know who else is going to be the last antagonist if Gel isn't either, unless our favorite red haired prisoner has a Gatcha transformation he's been hiding.

I think Hajime's gray emotional indicator will be important eventually as well.

more like red herring prisoner

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Condiv posted:

i like the part where the former prime minister is drinking his problems away after people he thought were friends unseated him, and they come to him for advice

lol

It seemed more like he was relaxing for the first time in years rather than drinking his sorrows away. Dude don't give a drat. Friends need advice? Given. Cup has booze? Drunk.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Take it to D&D.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gatcha!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
So many good things this episode. Hajime pouting at her peace/victory sign being rejected, Gel being barf-preggers with all the dissenting opinions he'd been storing, Tsubasa being infuriatingly, willfully dense, Katze admitting that Gel makes him poo poo his pants. This episode really showed off how good this show can be.

I'm still not really clear what purpose red-crowds-guy has in this story, but I imagine that'll be made plain soon. That, or he's only there to introduce ideas and distract from the real bad guy like the MESS in the first season. This is what I'd subscribe to, except that he continues to get scenes.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also, I have decided, that I will marry Hajime.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I liked Hajime's dive to catch Tsubasa's Note. Kind of strange for Tsubasa to drop it, considering how much she seemed to value being a hero.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

whoa. temptation....

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I will be friends with Rui.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

Yeah for reals

WickedHate needs this, but it's too cool for her.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

This is a dangerously powerful situation that has developed here...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Paipai Happy Hour

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Droyer posted:

*emotion bubble becomes purple and jagged*

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I always do.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

Hell, I wouldn't be adverse to spending some time in Hajime's boobs either

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

And I don't think Kuu's can be autonomously detached from the caster like a CROWDS, they are anchored to the person manifesting it.

No, they can definitely roam about. How else would Rui have eight of them?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I loved Hajime's VA's acting during the getting-the-poo poo-beat-out-of-her scene. She really sold it. In general, though it was a bit annoying that so much of the episode was a retreading of that same scene, they added enough new, and changed the perspective enough of the old, to make it really effective.

What a good show.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I do wonder if not having another elemental being to seriously bounce off this season was to Hajime's disadvantage as a character, though (yeah, Katze was around, but only as her shouty boobs). Throughout Insight, there's been this whole thing with the death of gods, flawed humans learning to cast off the structures of society one by one (a vertical government, mob rule, and so on) and stand as fully-functional individuals who can think and act for themselves. Hajime, our resident Twitter-Buddha, seems to be the only god left unchallenged, the only safety-blanket the team has left. In the first season, she had Katze's perfect evil to balance out her perfect good, but she stood out a lot harder in this season, where everyone else had doubts, made mistakes, and changed their minds (even Rizumu). I feel the biggest triumph of the show would be the Gatchamen finally surpassing their last god by disagreeing with her and being right, just like how she rejected JJ in Season One - maybe that's for S3? As it is, the situation feels slightly unbalanced - it's harder to justify thinking for yourself when one character's always right.

And yeah, her cutesy tone and mannerisms getting burned away during the fight was really striking. Good work, that VA.

They kind of tried to play it like she didn't know what to do earlier in the season, but I never really bought it. I suppose she took her time to think about it, which fits in well with the message of the final episode, but it always kind of seemed like the writers going, "See? See? She doesn't always know the right thing to do!" I'd like them to touch on this in a season 3 as well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

kater posted:

I really liked that it was Tsubasa objecting in the final moment, but then ultimately relenting to letting the plan go through. Letting Hajime's beliefs stand for themselves despite the obvious danger.

Yeah, it was a nice parallel to her rash action earlier when Rui faced Rizumu.

Redmark posted:

Great season. Only thing I disliked was Rizumu being utterly useless :argh:

But yeah, I'm not entirely certain why he needed to be here, other than to be a red herring villain.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Level Slide posted:

He did deflect the Kuu-mob back on Gel and indirectly got Rui back into his groove.

I guess. I just want to discover a purpose for him beyond plot-pusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Myriad Truths posted:

This was a great season, but I'm unsure why the CROWDS issue was glossed over. They just showed up again in the credits, even though they were still abolished for perfectly good reasons. Are they reinstated now, or what?

Yes.

• Locked thread