Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Checked back in on this, and they are changing basically everything except the graphics and basic gameplay, in the next big update.

https://na.portal.sf.my.com/comments/57c559753798ce920f729c02

https://na.portal.sf.my.com/comments/57c978193798bfaaf6486afb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
This looks like almost FFXIV levels of "We hosed up, please let us try again."

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Did they get rid of those areas where you have to group up to kill mobs around a ghost tree?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Didn't everyone quit because it was boring not because the leveling system was an incoherent mess. I did like the graphics though

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I quit because everything quickly became a grind. And even though the practical limit of sparks was pretty high I was never hot on there being a limit in the first place. That and I really wanted to play a gunner but grinding to get there seemed like an impassable wall.

Shame too, because I even bought the collector's addition for that sweet alchemist action. Shame on me, really.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Goofballs posted:

Didn't everyone quit because it was boring not because the leveling system was an incoherent mess. I did like the graphics though

People quit because the leveling system hit a wall where there were only one or two avenues of advancement and both of those avenues required you to stand around shouting at the top of your lungs trying to form a group manually. And that their "Catch Up" system was just them increasing the caps, you still needed to invest just as much time as the previous guys unless you spent real money on spark doublers.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
It looks like they are changing the combat so that most damage is avoidable. I could get behind that.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I'd give it a second shot if they make good on a lot of those changes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

randombattle posted:

I'd give it a second shot if they make good on a lot of those changes.

:same:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

They really are just tearing everything out. :psyduck: A problem is they haven't been telling anybody what the "compensation" credits and medals will be used for post-update, with so many system removals and overhauls.

Order system changes: https://na.portal.sf.my.com/comments/57d039d13798e0b3a9b9d014

I liked being able to go into an actual place and see a progressively better statue of myself, but that's going away as well because????

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Are the events still going to be a giant money sink to gamble for progress along a bar?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It's been a mix of actual events and events based entirely on spending money, looks like.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Schubalts posted:

They really are just tearing everything out. :psyduck: A problem is they haven't been telling anybody what the "compensation" credits and medals will be used for post-update, with so many system removals and overhauls.

Order system changes: https://na.portal.sf.my.com/comments/57d039d13798e0b3a9b9d014

I liked being able to go into an actual place and see a progressively better statue of myself, but that's going away as well because????

That's a bit odd considering becoming a god and amassing followers was pretty much the game's entire narrative hook. Good that they're willing to try big changes though. The game really needs them.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
They did add controller support and it works well. The thing is they never put in invert y-axis, so it became really annoying trying to play.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

And here's the overview of the "regional map" that is replacing all of the old avenues of character advancement.

https://na.portal.sf.my.com/comments/57d2cead37989b69fb3a09fe

They say that classes will be easier to unlock under this system, but we'll have to wait and see if that turns out to be true.

quote:

Additionally, Distortions are no longer bound to Pantheons. Now they are open to everybody who has completed relevant quests in the Laboratory.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Nah, they still haven't added any good new costumes and that they're three times more expensive because the west makes more money thing is still in so gently caress 'em.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

This update/revamp looks to be coming in October. If it ends up unfucking the game Lewtt said he will open up a new thread and poo poo. I will be closing this one as all the loving info is out the goddam window given the skim reading I have been doing.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

For what it's worth I liked the 3-man dungeon formula. I did a couple, they were short and fun and I wished other games would adopt shorter formats. All the wow stuff is too long for me, except maybe pet battles.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is the updated making it more like Guild War and removes the need for healer/tank/dps? Cause I really liked the look,classes, and action (especially if controller support has been added) of the game but gently caress that grind.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm not high-level or anything, but I'll probably jump back in on this when it updates.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If they make damage avoidable by player skill and not some lovely timed dodge or whatever, I'd be interested in picking this up again.
Playing a Kinetic was rad as butts until you got to the higher tiers and would get one shotted by a skill without an FX wind-up.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
If the main hub really is no longer just a mass of wailing lost souls begging for a group, I might give it a shot. I quit mostly out of a combination of frustration with the grid and the ugly/overpriced costume offerings, but somehow I doubt the latter will change much.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Equipment overhaul details are up.

https://sf.my.com/us/news/announcements/ascension-equipment

quote:

The situation where, when a new class is obtained, you have to play with a character that does not have an additional weapon nor suitable amulets (and is therefore significantly less effective) will no longer occur.

No details on the combat changes, or on if they're going to mess with group finding, yet.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Sooooo, caps are going away?!

https://sf.my.com/us/news/announcements/ascension-new-values

quote:

Many players have voiced their concerns about the existing system of weekly caps. We have received a number of comments and have been monitoring its performance for a long time. This resulted in our decision to get rid of the caps as a way of limiting character’s development. This is a substantial change for the game’s economics system, and it will also affect a number of other mechanics.

Heroes will no longer have limits to the main currencies they can receive. The value system has been simplified and the already-familiar Credits and a new resource—Knowledge of Enemies—will become the prevalent type of reward and the main resource for upgrades.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Oh god the pre-patch is here and it's all horrible WHY

Feedback thread

I didn't think the changes to classes would be this insane. They removed all choice of abilities, removed some abilities ENTIRELY, and some classes have ZERO TALENTS now. Jesus Christ.

e: Oh god, mounts got changed to argents only? The gently caress?

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 9, 2016

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Also, it seems like it's next to impossible to advance solo anymore. And the group finder continues to be useless.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 9, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
So they pulled a WildStar? Cool.

...which means, also like WildStar, you may soon have the option to pay cash money to unlock nodes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

You already can directly pay money to get stronger.

This is Skyforge's NGE.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Also, it seems like it's next to impossible to advance solo anymore. And the group finder continues to be useless.

So they're reviving their dead MMO by removing solo content? Interesting strategy.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

And the first event after the pre-patch is another RNG-based, throw money at it or get nothing, event. :suicide:

e:

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 13, 2016

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Those events were what made me give up on the game entirely. Not sure what their strategy is, here.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Schubalts posted:

And the first event after the pre-patch is another RNG-based, throw money at it or get nothing, event. :suicide:

e:

nice of them to graphically represent pay to win for everyone in case there was someone who didn't get the idea

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So is this reboot or "re-imagining" of Skyforge a case of "squeeze the remaining players for all they're worth" or "get new players in the door no matter what happens to the existing ones"?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It's both. Old players who spent any money at all got shafted, but changes like the confusing new UI for instances and making everything much more difficult while discouraging helping lower-level players will not make new players stick around.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
It's a shame. They had some solid core mechanics, if only they'd coalesced into a compelling game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Their reasoning for every change but the dropped weapons thing, was "Make it simpler!" I'm not sure how making enemies exponentially stronger, unannounced changing of every mount to no longer be buyable with credits, unannounced changes of outfits to only be buyable with credits or argents and no longer having a choice of which currency to pay with, or making a confusing "world" map made the game simpler.

Also flatout taking people's money over things like previous event rewards. Events now also have a "tower" that has upgrade ranks. If someone had maxed out a previous RNG event, when the pre-patch hit they did not get compensated with enough upgrade tokens to max out that event's "tower." Then there's the complete removal of chapels, which you could buy improvements to with real money (normally you can only have one buff per chapel, but you could buy an item that let you have two buffs), so "permanent" things you paid real money for are just gone forever.

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

No relation. Your mouth foams. We dance.
This sucks a big ol butt. I really enjoyed the mechanics of the game and hoped this would bring me back. Maybe I'll give it a shot, maybe it will make me stay away forever.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

I came back to this for a bit after hearing about these changes, just to see if anything really changed, and honestly, I don't get that feeling. You upgrade different things based on quests instead of grinding a million different currencies, which is nicer, but I could still see that being boring and samey after a while. The thing I had a problem with before, and that still exists now, is that the queue for anything takes forever, even the 5 mans and invasion stuff. Combined with the fact that some quests require you to either do those missions to progress or spend Argents, I just feel that there isn't anyone playing the game. And considering the cash shop changes that were mentioned too, I feel like this game is going to die out soon, which is a shame because for all its faults I still liked the base combat system.

On that note, are there any other MMOs with good action combat that anyone would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

On that front, I think it's just Tera, Blade and Soul, Black Desert, Tree of Savior, and the upcoming Revelation Online (this has click-to-move, tab-target, and full-action as switchable control schemes). Revelation Online will be published by my.com, the same people as Skyforge, though it's actual devs are Chinese, so that one requires a bit of caution.

Everything else is mostly lobby-based games like Vindictus.

• Locked thread