Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Laser priest now fires his pink death ray straight up into the air half the time. A welcome improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Valatar posted:

The thing that really makes me sad about this is the fact that you can't mix job abilities ala Final Fantasy. If you could pick and choose powers to make your own hybrid, I'd probably be throwing insane money at this. Instead the only thing you get out of training multiple classes are the passive stat boosts, which is not thrilling.

There are also passive abilities you can grab that are independent of class, I thought. Not exactly what you want, but it is a form of it. I had one that gave a shield for a couple seconds after a dodge.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

M2tt posted:

Pretty much this, and take the multiplier missions when they show up. The only thing I really learned from the stress test was that you probably shouldn't waste too many enhancement stones on early weapon drops, as even the blues that I upgraded early on were replaced repeatedly before I hit 1k prestige. Not sure when properly good weapons start dropping, though.

Wait. Those upgrades don't apply to the item, do they? I thought they applied to the slot. Have I misunderstood how those upgrades work?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
In as Manifest Dynasty.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Archonex posted:

Alchemist stuff

The E button move is your finishing move. All classes have them. They seem to become available after the targeted enemy's health falls below a certain value. (I don't THINK it is percentage based, I think it is a raw number. Weak enemies are vulnerable to a kill move after only a bit of damage, tank type enemies are only vulnerable when a sliver of health is left on their bar.) Each class's move does something in addition to killing the enemy. Some of them grant you resources, like the Cryo. The Lightbinder gets a buff that makes his next cast of some skills do extra damage.

In earlier builds, the ability menu listed these abilities and what they did. Unfortunately, this recent build does not have that info anywhere I can find. From when I played with the Alch in the betas, this is what I was finding with the Finishing move:

It SEEMS to grant you a buff. SOMETIMES it would trigger the Q button to become active, giving you the jump-back move. I found you could ALSO trigger this move by dodging backwards (but only backwards). I didn't see if the Q move did any damage or other effects.

The left button on the Transformation move grants you a buff that speeds up your attack. It stacks up to some limit, so you hold the left mouse button down and your attacks ramp up in speed.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Kaddish posted:

I'm not very far into the game yet but it seems to me Lightbringer is really a DPS class with some support stuff thrown in.

Just download a 143MB patch.

All classes seem like this to me, and that is Good Game Design.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Random drops

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
In quick and dirty experiments, I think that the "below 50%" bonus damage DOES apply based on the overall health, and not just the last health bar.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
On the topic of Order missions and followers and poo poo:

What should I be doing to maximize my progress there? Should I be recruiting these extra losers who want to join and immediately turn them to missionaries? Should I level up dudes and leave the new applicants to my cult alone (unless they have good stats/quality?)

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Click the "Reset" button at the bottom right.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Actual Serious Words About Lightbinder from someone bad at video games:

It is indeed a very straight forward class. If you want to be pedantic, the Lightbinder CAN heal, in that it has a couple different ways to rez a player in combat. Aside from that, it is all about damage reduction for survivability. You have some shield abilities, you have an ability that can reduce incoming damage by a significant amount (70% with the right item quality) over a wide area, and you have several cc abilities that can knock dudes down and/or stun them to stop big damage. (The tank mobs in the first 5 man do a huge aoe pull followed by an explosion that fucks people up. A knockback can save dummies here.)

It is the only support class (of the 2) that I found can actually be played really "effectively" in ally targeting mode. (This is activated by hitting T if you missed it.) Your left click just adds damage to the outgoing damage of your target, and your right click just tosses your aoe nuke right on top of your friendly target. Most of their other abilities add their benefit/do their damage through an ally, or by mouse targeting.

It SEEMS like their big damage (lol "big") will come from getting a lot of Impulse damage? (Impulse damage is the extra damage you get that has a lightning bolt next to the number. It activates when you have a full bar of that gauge that has a lightning bolt on it. Impulse damage is pretty big.) They have several ways of increasing their Impulse generation. The Bright Flares talent gives your LMB attack a 10% chance to instantly recover your Impulse bar, and there is an item quality that gives your RMB aoe attack a high chance to recover your Impulse. Most of my solo play is just getting the damage buff from a kill and tossing an Impulse-and-buff increased nuke at somebody (or group) to take a big chunk of hp. Some little things that might not be evident on first impression:

You have a passive aura that grants a not-insignificant HP buff over a large area. (I think it was taking allies from 1700-ish to 2000-ish at one point. No idea how it scales or anything.)

The Lightbinder finish move grants one stack of a buff (chance for 2 stacks with the right item) that doubles the damage of your next cast on some of your damage abilities. Your 1 button single-target and your RMB aoe.

Your laser tennis racquet flashes white whenever your LMB spam attack refreshes your 3 key damage ability.

As mentioned before, T changes you to friendly targeting mode. It's a good idea to learn how to use it. (I'm thinking about rebinding it to be more accessible, but the key bind options on this game are poo poo.)

Abilities (My opinions on these are probably wrong, so just pay attention to what it actually does...)

LMB (quick tap): Pulsating Flare - You basic spam attack. Does damage to an enemy, or increases damage of an ally when cast on them. (Up to 3 stacks. I believe this is a % increase? But it seems fairly small.)

LMB (Hold): Burning Stream/Flood of Light - Choice of damage or support. Burning Stream is your Sweet rear end Laser. It does pretty ok damage, so it CAN be good if mobs are grouped up tight or in a straight line you can burn down. But it's harder to catch mobs if they are spaced out at all, so your RMB aoe skill is better for most groups of enemies. Flood of Light is a channel that increases your targeted ally's stats by 20% of YOUR stats, stacking up to 100%. I never use it. I suppose it could be good if you were in a real coordinated group, but running random groups I usually just focus on keeping folks alive.

RMB (tap): Particle of Light - AOE blast on your target. (Also works on allies, so the aoe is centered on them.) Uses Impulse, so it can wax a pack of the swarm mobs pretty quick.

RMB (Hold): Golden Sphere - Kinda pulls targets along with it and does damage? I don't use it. It eats like ALL of your energy, so it never seems worth it.

1 Key: Spark of Anger - Your main single target damage spell. Can do pretty significant damage with talents and Impulse charge and the double damage execution buff. A talent can make it do double damage against enemies below 50%, which is cool, but I can't fit that into my support build.

2 Key: Unstable Shield - Temporary shield. Once it breaks or time runs out, it explodes for a little damage. The shield amount is 12.5% your max health when used on yourself, or 25% of your max health if used on someone else. You will be casting this all the drat time. Get used to it. The Rain of Fire talent changes it's cooldown, so you instead have 2 charges to cast the shield, and they regenerate 1 every 12 seconds. This is good, get it. Talent: Shinging Fragments double the damage. I don't use that in my current support build. Talent: Distorting Field reduces CC times and gives immunity to movement-restrictions. I don't use this one, either, but I would probably stick it in if I PvP more (or if CC becomes a problem at higher levels).

3 Key: Blessing of the Sun/Starstorm - Blessing of the Sun increases everyone's damage by 50% in a big radius. Real good. Try to use it at good times to make things die faster. Starstorm is basically free damage, since it doesn't require any energy. But it'll never be enough to match the damage increase you can get out of your group with BotS.

4 Key: Halo - 50% damage reduction. Higher with an item quality. Good for times when the damage is starting to spread around the group, or if all your other damage reductions are on cooldowns.

Z Key: Radiance/Wanderer's Relic - Radiance gives 60% Armor Penetration to everyone in a 180 degree arc in front of you. I think Armor Penetration is only for PvP? I don't know stats. But I haven't noticed any effect outside pvp. BUT the other option, Wanderer's Relic, isn't very useful in the random pick up groups I run, so I keep it on there. Wanderer's Relic places a relic at a location. An ally can use it to teleport to you, or you can hit Z again to teleport to it. Both these abilities have talents that make them give a movement speed buff. I use Radiance, but Wanderer's Relic has it's uses in some boss mechanics.

X Key: Blessing of Tenacity/Rise And Shine/Starfury - I use BoT. Removes status effects and gives immunity to them for 4 seconds. Talent: Strength of Spirit reduces the cost and cooldown. Talent: Captivating Light gives it a damage reduction component that starts at 70% and gets smaller every second, with the last second being 25% reduction. So it's tricky to time it for big damage, but it is another usefull gap filler when your other shields and such are on cooldowns, so I use both those talents. Negative effects haven't proven to be a huge issue yet, but there are a few areas where they've started to show up... Starfury gives a buff that has three charges. Each time an enemy hits the buffed player, the are damaged and stunned. Starfury has some really good talents. Starpower makes the stun 2 seconds longer, lowers the cooldown, and makes the stunned enemy take 20% more damage during the stun. Serenity give Starfury a shield worth 15% of the LB's max health. Seems like you can definitely make an argument to take this instead of BoT. Seems like it could be pretty fun to use in PvP? Your other option is Rise and Shine. It is an in-combat rez with some pretty major drawbacks. Casting it gives a 2 minute debuf that reduced your energy regeneration by 60%. The Myster of Rebirth talent cuts this debuff time in half and making it cast faster and giving the rezed player more health. I've never bothered to use it.

C Key: Sacred Barrier/Wrath of the Sun - Gives a buff in a 180 degree arc in front of you. Removes negative effects and makes players invulnerable for 4 seconds. Long 5 minute cooldown, but the Guardian's Gift talent reduces the cooldown by 2 minutes and extends the buff by 2 seconds. (It seems like the buff lasts longer on the LB than other allies? But that could just be a display bug or something. My teammates' bars turn back to the normal color before mine do.) I used this one. It's good. Really good. Wrath of the Sun is your other option in this slot. WotS is a knockback aoe centered on your character. Before you get Sacred Barrier, I used it to help do damage mitigation by cc (knocking mobs back, then immediately pulling them back in with Quasar), but Sacred Barrier is simply better in every way that I have seen.I guess if you were going for some sort of All DPS build?

V Key: Quasar/Pulsar/Supernova - Quasar places a ball of energy that explodes when an enemy comes near and pulls everything to it's center, then stuns them briefly (1 sec) and cuts their speed to 50% for 5 seconds. Pulsar is a targeted aoe that cuts the enemies movement by 95%(!) for 5 seconds, then explodes for damage (More than Quasar) and stuns for 3 seconds. Supernova is the pure damage version, exploding for damage (highest of the 3 choices here) and adding a DOT for good measure. The Quasar stabilization effects all these choices in the same way, reducing the cost and cooldown. I use Quasar, mostly because it has about half the cooldown time of Pulsar, and the pull effect is good for getting stubborn mobs exactly where you want them. But I've been meaning to give Pulsar a spin. Supernova is good for damage, obviously, but if I'm playing LB, I'm playing support, so I like to be able to gather mobs for aoes or help kite when poo poo goes sideways.

R Key: Incarnation of Light - You turn into a glowing man. You have an aura that increases allies damage dealt and reduces damage taken. (I honestly haven't done research into how much this is.) If an ally dies in this aura, they immediately revived and the form ends. While in this form, you have 3 abilities. LMB shoots a laser out of your feet at your target. RMB does a pbaoe. Neither of these are anything special. 1 Key turns you into a big ball of light. You explode, giving a shield to all allies in the area for 25% of your health. You also do damage to enemies depending on how much time you had left on your transformation. More damage for popping it earlier. (Popping it right away seems to do pretty fair damage. Nothing like the real high DPS classes can do, but a solid hit over a wide aoe.) This ends the transformation. This can be a pretty good move to swing the momentum of a fight back your direction. The talent Spirit of Light is really fun. When you run out of HP, you don't die. You instead turn into the Incarnation of Light with 40% of your health. This can only happen every 8 minutes, just like your regular Incarnation of Light, but the cooldown is completely separate. So once per 8 minutes, instead of dying, you get a free cast of your ultimate ability. Fun. The talent says that you have to survive 15 seconds to be resurrected, but that's wrong. Pop that 1 key right away to do your aoe and keep right on trucking. Can really save you when poo poo goes wrong (like when you are dumb like me and accidentally get caught in a big damage move). This also happens in pvp, which can be fun as well.

Also of note but not ability specific: Solar Breeze talent is a flat increase on energy regen, so it's very useful.

Master these abilities, and soon you, too, can be dragging pubbie groups through Hepsilon Temple with a berserker as your tank because dummies enter as tank classes and swap immediately.

Manifest Dynasty fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 4, 2015

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Speaking of classes that can heal, the Alchemist ultimate ability involves them hovering over the battlefield, spewing yellow fluids everywhere. This heals everyone.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I'm playing a mission as Alchemist now (and played a bit of it last beta) so I can whip up a quick blurb about it. Definitely more focused on increasing the groups damage output. Can transform the whole group into monsters. Can do some pretty crazy burst damage on some mobs with their damage reflect shield.

Alchemists use a resource that is generated by their basic attacks. The LMB attack is a single target attack that adds stacks (up to 8) that are then detonated by the RMB for extra single target damage. The RMB is an aoe attack that adds stacks (up to 5) that are then detonated by the LMB for extra aoe damage. Their kill move allows them to use one (with a chance for 2) moves for free. (This is from a talent. I don't know what the native benefit of the kill move is.)

Alch play style is very mobile. They have an ability set to Q that fires them a good distance straight backwards. This ability is completely separate from the normal dodge moves, and has it's own cooldown. They also have a move that slows enemies and increases their own dodge distance. Alchemists do need to be stationary to unload their main single target move on the 1 key, a bunch of slimes. So it is a very "stick and move" type of play. Usually I run around avoiding mobs, building up catalyst, then pop my shield and unload my slimes. They have 2 options of slimes. One is more efficient on resources, but the other is faster to unload, taking twice the resources but doing less than twice the damage. This other slime has bonuses for pvp, doing 20% more damage and stunning players. Sounds hilarious. Interestingly, these slimes had different behaviors when I played last closed beta. The normal slimes are essentially fire-and-forget projectiles. If you use too many and the target dies while they are on their way, they are wasted. The PVP slimes seem to be more like actual pets. They will hang around and find new targets if the original dies.

Alchemists have lots ways to increase the group's damage. Their passive aura increases everyone's damage by 20% and increases health by 15%. They have multiple moves that boost group damage or increase the damage taken by a mob. They can mutate the whole group into monsters that do extra damage.

They have several moves that require them to get in close for big damage. A damage reflect shield, a big pbaoe, and the monster transformation. These work well with their Q ability, so you get in close, do your big move, then jet the gently caress out again.

As a bonus, it looks like they changed some of the animations since the last cbt. They used to do this goofy almost-falling-over thing when they dodged around. Now they have a much more normal animation.

Manifest Dynasty fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 14, 2015

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Thronde posted:

I'm a bit confused by this Symbols poo poo, is that the class node in the middle of their initial progression atlas that unlocks the main Atlas? Or is this something else I get when I get every node in a class tree?

The latter.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I can only get hard if someone is yelling at me about being last in dps meters, so this is very good news.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Please post your dps meter numbers for a code...

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Game is really bad at all the different ways it introduces new players to classes. The training room is overly simple and doesn't really explain some of the abilities well, and the X2 missions are simultaneously less-than-optimal but still throw a bunch of new abilities at you that you have to figure out how to use, with mystery talents and such...

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Since they are changing how the ether cores work, should I be selling all these cores that drop or what?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Thern posted:

So am I doing something wrong or does the game not let you play as a different class for X2 bonus in groups? It works fine when I do it solo, but when I hit the class button in groups it loads me in as my current class.

Correct, you cannot do it in groups.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
People queue as tanks and then immediately switch to dps. These people are Hitlers.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Is that Rock Wizard Hulk Hands or Goo Wizard Hulk Hands?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Promo missions only work alone. Group finder keeps your same class.

Edit: Too slow.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
F locks your current target. T changes your targeting between friendly and enemy. Tab cycle through enemies, but if you hit T then Tab will cycle through allies.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
It used to, and they were added back into the ability screen in the Russian version. They are not explained in the current build, as far as I know.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Lightbinder gives a buff that adds damage to your next nuke spell.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
At first they came for the scrubs, and I said nothing, because I was not a scrub...

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
3v3 pvp is fun as support, if your group is at all paying attention to keeping dudes off you. I think I've only lost like 1 match (out of a pretty small number, but still...)

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
The web missions actually work much smoother than I expected on my phone. So log in and do your guild build missions, I guess?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Target reticle changes shape to tell you if you are on ally targeting or enemy targeting mode. Miracle patch. (For chronically stupid lightbinders like myself.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
It looks like they are changing the combat so that most damage is avoidable. I could get behind that.

• Locked thread