Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Guild Name: Bargain Bin Communists

Alternative: Bottom Shelf Communists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fendahleen posted:

Please make it this. Just imagine the unsolicited responses you'll get.

Agreed. What is the point of a guild name if not to get as many spergy PMs as possible?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Eonwe posted:

if you ever wanted to be a completely ineffective special snowflake then boy are you ever in for a treat

What is funny is that some people are going to put lots of points in nodes that are not very effective for their class but at least they will be more effective for a different class which they can always switch to without rerolling. Not that they are going to actually do that. I suppose the real question is whether or not this matters in PvE. Can you make an absolute poo poo build and still win with enough skill? I have not played the harder stuff yet to really know.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah it sounds pretty flexible. This is a very good thing.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Schubalts posted:

Might be a good idea to at least create a character and finish the tutorial during the first week or so, since the progression cap increase is only counted for each week that you have an existing character on your account.

How many hours of playing this game per week does it take to hit the initial cap?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Obscurity posted:

I need name ideas to register when I get home from work.

System Administrator
Scientology R Us
Hiterally Litler
Jehovah Witness
Drunk Odin

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

God speed friend. I hope you successfully troll lots of pubbies with it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Bombogenesis posted:

This game is...not awful? Like I want to say I'm getting some serious Phantasy Star Online/Universe vibes from the combat but everything just feels a bit off. It's probably the poor sound design. Also is it me or does knight just feel hella clunky?

This is the general feeling that I get. I wish combat was less Neverwinter and more TERA.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Obscurity posted:

It seems fun, but there seem to be a lot of missing features that I'm used to in most MMOs. No AH/Trading, no crafting? unless I just didn't get to it yet, no open world at least in early levels.

While this is just a matter of labels, using the term "MMO" to describe Skyforge will be a slightly deceiving for some people. It is an MMO by industry standards but I remember back when Phantasy Star Online came out and how that game was referred to as an Action RPG with multiplayer support. Skyforge is something between that style of game and a traditional MMO. Knowing that ahead of time might help some players who are used to traditional MMOs ease into the game more.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Harrow posted:

Ouch. That comparison kinda dampens my excitement a bit. Neverwinter just never felt very good to play for me. TERA was great, combat-wise, though.

I was being sincere when I said that but don't let my comment persuade you to avoid giving it a try and forming your own opinion. Skyforge's combat feels better than Neverwinter and is more fun in general but it reminds me more of Neverwinter than TERA. At the same time, I quit Neverwinter fairly quickly due to disliking the combat and the fact that I am still very interested in playing Skyforge next week says something.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

HardKase posted:

Am I broken? I really enjoyed neverwinters combat and really thought Terra was way too clunky.

Not at all. Different people like different styles of action combat. I personally enjoy systems where I can swing freely, there is no tabbed targeting, the enemies have precise hitboxes, dodging is expected to be done frequently and involves iframes, many of the attack animations are locked for both the feeling of weight and a sense of accountability if I do the wrong thing at the wrong time, little to no expectation of soaking damage provided I am skilled enough, good sound effects for the feeling of weight, knockback animations to also add to that feeling of weight and to play a role on when to strategically strike, etc.

This describes TERA very well. It does not describe Neverwinter all that well but some of it is there.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pretty princess dress up accessibility and swapping skins in this game is good.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Drinkfist posted:

- We have players that are offline, players that are not P2050+, players that don't have the supplies needed to run the mission, players that don't know about the mission because they are deaf and blind for when we keep explaining it and finally my favorite players that do the mission and fail it.

So there you have it folks. We are slowly increasing the player cap of the guild and I literally have no way to make this go faster other than cussing out motherfuckers on mumble and trying to inform everyone.

loving do you Construction Missions and don't loving fail them if you are in the guild. If you are not, sit tight and Ill get to you eventually or bribe me and Ill kick HyC and Grithok out again to let you fill their slot as they are worthless.

So is the pressure to put in a lot of hours into this game going to decrease once you guys get established more because quite frankly I am interested in playing and I would like to join the guild but my life just does not provide a lot of disposable time to poopsock an MMO anymore. You will see me offline a lot and I definitely will not hit P#### very quickly for that reason. I am perfectly fine with waiting a few weeks or whatever before applying if that helps make sure that the guild's capacity can expand faster.

This system is stupid. Also, I'm gay.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 11, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Drinkfist posted:

I tried inviting gay but it says you need a last name too.

Heh I'm too lame to buy into early access. I will see you guys next week.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Doctor Schnabel posted:

did you try to redeem one of the free keys posted last night?

No. I didn't think codes worked anymore? Are any left?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I'm weird and don't have a Facebook account. It's cool. I will wait till the 16th unless other codes appear. I appreciate you mentioning it though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Honestly yeah. I get that the guild capacity stuff is dumb, but the only thing worse is being dumb and spergy enough to kick people for not logging in for one day. I'm gonna play this game because I enjoy it enough but gently caress that. I am not interested in an invite if this is what I can expect.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That's fine, as long as you understand that you're being the kid who doesn't understand why they can't have ice cream after they dump the entire carton on the floor.

This is the best way to deal with the situation, i.e. understanding that drinkfist isn't doing it solely to be a dick and to just chill out and not angrypost about it.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I was never in the guild to begin with and never formally requested an invite. I was getting an idea of what to expect from this guild first. Using your ice cream analogy, I tried a sample before buying, didn't like what I was tasting, and decided not to buy any while explaining why. Nothing childish about that.

With that said, I understand why this sucks due to a system that we have no control over, and I do sympathize with Drinkfist and any guild leader in this game because there is nothing fun about this feature.

What really rubs me in the wrong way isn't that people are getting kicked for lack of activity. It is that they are getting poo poo and kicked for a single day of being offline or failing a mission which they may have never done before. I could understand doing this after 5 days of inactivity during the first month due to the lovely system and asking those who are waiting to be a bit more patient. Anymore than that is suggestive to me that the guild is too demanding for those without much disposable time and that is okay I suppose, but it means that it isn't a good fit for me.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 12, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

You just don't seem to understand working for the greater good or anything about this except for ice cream.

Not true. What this is about is a difference in opinion about what the greater good actually is.

Some people here feel that expanding the guild's capacity as fast as possible no matter what is for the greatest good. I agree with this to an extent but not to the extreme measure that appears to be taken which is what rubbed me the wrong way. My opinion of the greatest good is prioritizing the treatment of current guild members while respecting that most people's lives simply do not allow them to play every day. I mean come on man..someone here was threatened to be kicked because he decided to spend the day with his stepdaughter instead of playing an MMO. Does that not strike you as taking this situation a bit too far?

On the other hand, this system is awful and in consideration of those who are waiting to join the guild I think that it is reasonable to temporarily kick people due to inactivity. Especially if there is a mutual understanding. I would just draw that line in the sand somewhere else which is why I mentioned 5 days. I would also probably call for volunteers instead of issuing threats at least initially.

Anyways, it's cool. Something else that is very important to consider is what most people here would prefer and if that is to stay the course then that is exactly what Drinkfist should do. It just means that the guild may not be for me is all. Not a big deal.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

This isn't opinion. You're not listening to us.

I just disagree with the approach. It is a difference in opinion. Not a lack of understanding. It is also not a big deal.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 12, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If Berzerker has reasonably high mobility then I am definitely going to focus on it first. It sounds like a lot of fun if you enjoy melee and dodging.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I don't have a problem with the spark cap especially since I do not have nearly enough time to play to the point that I reach the cap. I also agree that this complaining will probably stop after about a month or two when all the spergs quit. I also expect the developers to give in just a little bit on top of that.

In general though, I'm not really a fan of time gating content but I certainly understand why so many developers do it at least to some degree. What I very much prefer instead is for the game to attract and maintain players by having a large amount of rare and expensive vanity items that are fun and time consuming to obtain. It's also really good if the activities to obtain these items come in a variety of choices so it doesn't feel like you have to do the exact same thing over and over and over again. There is no avoiding repetition entirely in an MMO of course, but if I identify an item that I want to go for it is really cool if I have three or four choices in front of me that all lead to that same goal and all provide about the same amount of reward per hour spent playing.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Valatar posted:

Real progression in Skyforge comes from those three things.

Real progression is acquiring snazzy looking weapons, gear, and outfits.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

You've found weapons with unique models?

I was speaking in general. I don't know the extent of what Skyforge has to offer in terms of weapon skins exclusively and especially any of those that come from end game content. I have seen a fair number of other skins though.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 15, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RottenK posted:

No idea how fast or slow the changes that'll eventually happen there will get here.

I'm a fan of the QoL changes they mentioned, but this part is actually what interests me the most. It is one of those things which you never really know what to expect until it happens.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Anoia posted:

Somewhere in Russia a guy is staring at a monitor, tweaking variables to make sure the boobs bounce just right. Then, only then, can he move on to butts.

As funny as it sounds, I would take that job in a heart beat if it paid enough. Sounds really easy. The best part would be the meetings where I would have to provide status updates on the current accuracy of the jiggling physics.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

FoolishLobster posted:

Edit: Found the forum post. Might is up to 86, and the skill bonuses are ~3 times more (at least for Lightbinder), but not the green bonus.

Is there a bunch of pubbie P2W drama on the forums about it? I am always up for reading those tears.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So I saw a post on reddit stating that the Russian Skyforge has a dps meter that we do not have yet and that the information from the meter is seen by other players. If true, I can't say that makes me happy.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Liberatore posted:

I don't mind it at all. It's not like this game isn't like 90% solo or playing with friends anyway.

Well, one could technically say that about most MMOs. 90% of the time you are either playing solo or with a guild of friends. I am a big fan of including tools that help a player measure their personal skill and progression but allowing that information to be seen by other players usually results in it being primarily used to filter/exclude others from being in a group. It just isn't as fun that way imo.

HandsomeBen posted:

Source your oforum quotes please.

Sure thing.

Source

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 16, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

this is dumb and wrong since it states that the elitism and toxicity in the community/playerbase did not happen before the meter.

Meters make the problem more pronounced, but that isn't the problem with them. It is the community that is the problem.

Technically yes, but the more important point to focus on is that most games with these meters tend to make the problem a lot worse. There are already enough features in this game which attract and influence this kind of dramatic community behavior. The meter would be one more to add on top of that pile if it exists as described and is brought over to the NA version. The combination of them all does not fill me with confidence about the future of this game unless I plan to just treat it like a single player experience which I am willing to do but it means that I will probably quit sooner.

Remb posted:

If you do half the damage of a healer, you suck rear end and shouldn't play games.

sword_man.gif posted:

if a meter makes you upset, have you considered actually not being completely godawful and/or not expect people to carry you?

Thank you for proving my point.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 16, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

They are also a good measure for people who actively do not play, barely play, try to get away with being carried, or don't know their class very well.

You can use those to help people as much as harm people. But it isn't the meter that is the problem. It is the people.

It is a matter of pros and cons. The pro is that the meters can be used by friendly people to help each other, but you and I both know that this barely happens compared to all of the crappy ways that people end up treating each other because of them.

Bottom line: It's just not worth it regardless of whether one chooses to blame the meter or the people.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rylek posted:

It's like I'm in the FFXIV thread!

Meters are a good thing that sometimes people use for bad things.

That being said I don't enjoy having my gaming time wasted in a 'group' based game by other players who have no interest in learning how to play the game because they are "Just having fun" or "Not a TryHard". Meters allow me to identify these people so I can avoid them in the future.

This is the exact sort of toxicity that I am talking about. It divides the player base and the shared information from the meter is just used to filter/exclude people.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LordSaturn posted:

The drawback is that on harder content you can't really tell somebody you have objective proof that they suck, you can only suggest things you have observed them not doing.

I have found that this scenario is not a drawback in practice as much as it is in theory. The reason is because if you have someone who is not open to receiving and reacting to constructive criticism if presented with care and respect then showing them proof rarely causes them to do anything differently. They are being stubborn mules and the most you succeed in doing is embarrassing them but that embarrassment will not lead to your experience being more fun unless you happen to be a real dick and get off on that (not suggesting you are personally..I'm speaking about players in general). For those that are open to criticism and want to learn, having a private dps meter is all that you need. You can safely offer people help and once they trust that you are a nice guy and not a threat then they are usually willing to share their dps meter info with you.

Again, this is all about pros and cons. Your scenario, in the worst of ways, does happen sometimes but imo the community suffers more than it is improved when these meters exist other than privately.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

blastron posted:

Are outfits all one item, or can you mix and match pieces? Also, are there robust options for color choice?

There are some color choices and they are fun to mess with but I would not call it robust. The color choices you make impact your entire body's outfit using a preset for that color. It isn't like GW2 where you can mix and match colors on a single piece of gear/outfit.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LordSaturn posted:

The practical problem is that there's 2-4 DPS on a Dungeon Finder team, and it can be hard to tell who's failing without a DPS meter to say so. Especially a team-viewable DPS meter.

Yeah this is something positive that the meters can provide for sure. I still think that they do more harm than good though.

You know what might be a reasonable compromise? Have the meter but instead of showing the results to everyone only show it to members of your guild. Most of the toxicity comes from groups with pubbies anyways so maybe that would mitigate the problem enough to the point where the pros start to outweigh the cons.

futile posted:

There are still people who get mad about DPS meters in MMORPGs?

Not as much these days. I think it might be because most MMOs either don't include them anymore or only show the information to the individual player.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 16, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The argument actually boils down to "the community is poo poo" and how lovely you think it is. If you don't like having dps meters built into the game you think the community of every mmo is loving awful, and if you like having them built in it's because you live in your own aspie's bubble and never interact with other people.

It has nothing to do with whether you want to be good or poo poo at the game.

I can't speak for the other thread that you're talking about but the argument in this thread has already discussed more than that.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

They've brought up a bunch of tangential and unimportant poo poo. The core of the argument is about lovely communities.

Yeah, makes sense. The core problem is how communities behave when given this information to work with.

In regards to Skyforge's community specifically, I don't think they will use it very positively outside of guilds.

RottenK posted:

i have no opinion on dps meters but i'd like to say that xavier434 should stop posting

Who do you feel that I have been rude towards in this discussion?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I kind of wish they had gone with an approach that was more "all the classes are in the middle, and then there's neat traits and symbols and poo poo on the outside for you to work toward" so you can grab a class you like within a few hours and then go, but that's mainly because I don't see a reason why classes are locked behind the cap like alch, knight, monk, gunner, and berserker. It's not gonna ruin my day or anything, though.

I agree. This would be my preferred approach. Either that or once you open the Ascension Atlas have it trigger a quest where you go train like they have now except finishing training for a particular class unlocks it as well.

I am pretty convinced that gating classes like they do now will cause a lot of players to drop the game. There just isn't anything fun about this feature. It is only a question of whether or not you are willing to tolerate it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Obscurity posted:

I am still very lost in the atlas at 7.3k prestige. I am just unlocking the classes I want, and getting greatness/symbol nodes along the way that sound useful.

I think this is the most enjoyable approach to be honest. Just focus on getting the classes and anything which really changes how you place your classes of choice first. It will make the rest of the progression in the game more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fenrisulfr posted:

I must really be doing something wrong. I've been playing at least an hour a day since the early access and I'm pretty sure I haven't even hit the spark cap for the first week yet (~8000 until cap). I've been doing story missions and hitting the x2/x3 squad missions when they give sparks but my spark income is dismal. Is there some stupid simple thing I'm missing?

I haven't unlocked any classes yet, though that's more because I was stupid and indecisive and ended up finishing the first half of the atlas for all 3 of the starter classes. At the rate I'm going it'll probably be another week yet before I hit Slayer.

I have not put in as much time as you have so far but comparing what you just said with my current rate of progress I'd say that you probably are not doing anything that is slowing you down a lot more than it should. Instead, I think it just further shows that the caps, despite the amount of attention and rage they get, really only impacts the poopsockers while most other people can safely pretend that they do not exist.

The only thing that really seems to impact casual players is how long it takes to unlock classes. Progression sometimes feels more like a game of what not to spend your sparks on than it does choosing what to invest them in.

• Locked thread