Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Rewatching WCW New Blood Rising to see if it's as bad as I remember (it is).

In the Steiner vs Goldberg vs Nash match, Nash goes to give Goldberg a power bomb, but Goldberg sinply walks out of it. Nash has this look on his face which says "Bill, what you doing bro, you're supposed to go up for my powerbomb here". He looks sad.

Goldberg walks up the ramp. Russo comes out and gets in big Bill's face (which looks stupid as Bill is a monster). Russo tells Goldberg to get back in the ring and Goldberg screams in his face "gently caress you" and walks off.

Mark Madden on commentary: "Maybe Goldberg was supposed to do something that wouldn't make him look good".

"I'm thinking Goldberg was supposed to go up for the jacknife"

"Nash is a pro, he could have punched Goldberg out right there."

It's mental stuff.

Can you think of a special breed of dumb moment in wrestling to rival this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Samoa Joe diving through the air to land on his back on concrete steps for a TNA show always springs to mind, I still can't fathom what the hell he was thinking doing that.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Kane

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Natalya's whole farting thing comes to mind.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Dustin Rhodes as the new year baby. Good that was terrible.

Or Hawk falling off the titantron.

Sting trusting anyone after about 1994

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Legitimately the dumbest thing I have ever seen is Stacy Kiebler having a worked miscarriage in a kiddy pool during a wrestling match.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's always gonna be incomprehensible gimmick matches over angles to me - WCW's Doomsday Cage or the Junkyard Invitational or the Graveyard matches with Vampiro - but personally my favourite is probably this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r77868CA-DE

TNA has it's share of dumb gimmick matches too, but WCW had the ofte-unlimited budget to take these dumb ideas and make them into high-concept disasters.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Eugene was a gimmick for multiple years on the TV of the biggest wrestling company in the world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I went to the first 2 and a half years of weekly NWA:TNA PPVs, I need to take some time to think. There were a few ICP performances, the first Ultimate X match when the belt fell off, I saw Dustin Diamond box a mentally disabled security guard, one time Johnny Fairplay from Survivor got tossed like a javelin, a midget beating off in a trash can, Vince Russo debut a stable called S.E.X. , and now I'm starting to have flashbacks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dixie Carter vs. Email

Dixie Carter forcing the entire roster to sit and listen to a 'my way or the highway' speech.

Dixie Carter re-hiring Vince Russo after SpikeTV explicitly forbade it.

Dixie Carter allowing man-on-woman violence after SpikeTV explicitly forbade it.

Dixie Carter goes through a table.

Dixie Carter.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Katie Vick. The answer will always be Katie Vick. Even with all the worse poo poo TNA's done, they never did Katie Vick.

Katie Vick.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?
Artist Formerly Known As Goldust.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Katie Vick. The answer will always be Katie Vick. Even with all the worse poo poo TNA's done, they never did Katie Vick.

Katie Vick.

TNA's done worse stuff involving real people rather than mannequins, and what's worse is that they did it for lower ratings than Katie Vick got. I guess you could argue that less people seeing TNA's shenanigans makes them worse than Katie Vick but Katie Vick literally made money for WWE in its roundabout way.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:stonk:

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Hornswoggle as McMahon's illegitimate son has to rank up there - or Hornswoggle as the Anonymous Raw GM.
Both after months and months of buildup.

I'd also include the disaster that was the HHH/Nash involvement with the mysterious text messages right as CM Punk got white hot. Punk just should've been kept off TV with the belt.

.............:stonk:.......... where is that gif from?? Christ.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I started seriously watching wrestling last year so probably the dumbest thing I've gotten to personally witness was Bray Wyatt's ghost going over Dean Ambrose. Also seconding TNA not knowing how e-mail works.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3s-4e4AJsg

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xIYVw3ZPJk

e: oh dumb not illegal. disregard this

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Not just the Gobbledy Gooker, but Roddy Piper on commentary trying to convince us that the crowd was loving it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

flashy_mcflash posted:

TNA's done worse stuff involving real people rather than mannequins, and what's worse is that they did it for lower ratings than Katie Vick got. I guess you could argue that less people seeing TNA's shenanigans makes them worse than Katie Vick but Katie Vick literally made money for WWE in its roundabout way.

I don't know, it's hard for me to think of anything that made me more embarrassed to be watching wrestling than the Katie Vick coffin scene. Not even in a "someone might know I watch this" way, just in a generalized burning sense of awkward horror at the whole thing.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 3, 2015

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Abyss. He's got Kane-level storytelling, except he's also torn his body to shreds and lost his teeth, and he's not even the slightest bit more over or made a single extra dollar for it.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Johnny Stamboli tearing his dick off by giving Terry Funk a springboard leg drop to the floor on top of a steel chair.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Zandig, a chain, and some meat hooks.

that wasnt wrestling it was...dont know what it was but it made feel queasy as hell.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

HHH/Steiner at RR 2003 going for as long as it did.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

What the hell is this? Surely he had a bad injury after that?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I heard something about back in WCW there was a backstage segment where it showed two wrestlers discussing their match. The conversation was something like "Ok so I pin you 1-2-3" and the other wrestler responds with "that's the finish I got."

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

I heard something about back in WCW there was a backstage segment where it showed two wrestlers discussing their match. The conversation was something like "Ok so I pin you 1-2-3" and the other wrestler responds with "that's the finish I got."

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Yes, I think it was Scotty Riggs and Buff Bagwell.

Then after the match Buff looked into the camera and went "Hey, did I do a good job?"

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Savage using his finishing move to revive Hulk Hogan has got to be up there.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I just remembered Beaver Cleavage, a short lived WWE gimmick in an obvious "Leave It To Beaver" style gag. The whole gimmick was built around the implication that he was having sex with his mother, who was also his manager. They had to kill it real quick since they were reportedly losing advertisers, because no one other than Vince thought a gimmick based totally on incest was cool. They killed it by doing a worked shoot where Beaver said "I can't do this anymore" and walked out in the middle of a promo. He then became Chaz and revealed that his "mother" was actually just his girlfriend.

Not quite Katie Vick level, but the concept was really dumb and poorly thought out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dixie Carter.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Z5KuPVydg

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Everything with the Dungeon of Doom.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CoolCat posted:

Goldberg shenanigans

This was dumb as hell, but even dumber was how they promoted it for Nitro. "Last night, Goldberg went OFF THE SCRIPT!"

Also, that time when an aging Sable and Ernest 'The Cat' Miller made Vince McMahon dance in the ring but instead he did this weird dinosaur strut. The whole segment was literally to waste time because it had no setup and led to nothing after.

Also, Eric Bischoff presents Hot Lesbian Action.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Great White Hope posted:

Yes, I think it was Scotty Riggs and Buff Bagwell.

Then after the match Buff looked into the camera and went "Hey, did I do a good job?"

I thought the finish to that was that Buff got the pin instead as a "shoot" and gloated about how he pulled one over.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jeff Hardy's interior monologue in TNA
Jeff Hardy being too high to wrestle Sting, but being sent out to main event that PPV anyhow
Jeff Hardy's ridiculous face belt
Jeff Hardy's 'eyes painted on his eyelids'
Jeff Hardy being the biggest draw in TNA but being unable to travel to the UK, the one place on the planet where people care(d) about TNA.
Every single thing about Jeff Hardy as Willow the sentient tree, but especially his debut

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

"Did I do a good enough job for ya Russo" was after a loss to La Parka where Buff made him look like rear end and refused to sell and was followed by this:

Mercury Crusader posted:

I thought the finish to that was that Buff got the pin instead as a "shoot" and gloated about how he pulled one over.

I believe after this he was laid out by Creative Control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Ian Rotten (Dixie was already said)

• Locked thread