Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's always gonna be incomprehensible gimmick matches over angles to me - WCW's Doomsday Cage or the Junkyard Invitational or the Graveyard matches with Vampiro - but personally my favourite is probably this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r77868CA-DE

TNA has it's share of dumb gimmick matches too, but WCW had the ofte-unlimited budget to take these dumb ideas and make them into high-concept disasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Katie Vick. The answer will always be Katie Vick. Even with all the worse poo poo TNA's done, they never did Katie Vick.

Katie Vick.

TNA's done worse stuff involving real people rather than mannequins, and what's worse is that they did it for lower ratings than Katie Vick got. I guess you could argue that less people seeing TNA's shenanigans makes them worse than Katie Vick but Katie Vick literally made money for WWE in its roundabout way.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jeff Hardy's interior monologue in TNA
Jeff Hardy being too high to wrestle Sting, but being sent out to main event that PPV anyhow
Jeff Hardy's ridiculous face belt
Jeff Hardy's 'eyes painted on his eyelids'
Jeff Hardy being the biggest draw in TNA but being unable to travel to the UK, the one place on the planet where people care(d) about TNA.
Every single thing about Jeff Hardy as Willow the sentient tree, but especially his debut

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

"Be there or be triangular"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_azh_7CBEY

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shakenbaker posted:

Once saw a battle royal at a drag strip where the ring was set up between the stands and the near lane, with actual drag cars running in the far lane during the match. The winner of the match was some guy from Axe Men and he :airquote:won $5,000:airquote: that he was going to use to get his sunken boat off the bottom of a river.

That owns and there's nothing dumb about anything you described.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

He also donated the entirety of whatever unwarranted gigantic sum WCW paid him to do that to charity, so a bunch of kids got blankets or whatever because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

It's even better than that, I believe he donated his pay to the families of deceased wrestlers. I believe he gave a bunch of it to Pillman's family.

Luigi Thirty posted:

He was a lifelong wrestling fan and told them it was a really stupid and horrible idea and only did it so he could donate the money ($50,000 I think?) to Pillman's widow, Owen's widow, and Droz.

Ah yeah, that was it. I loving love the fact that the angle most associated with the worst of WCW benefited the families of three WWF wrestlers.

• Locked thread