Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Shout out to the XFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Watching some old PPV's and I completely forgot that Brian Kendrick was called "Spanky" when he debuted.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Gavok posted:

I just remembered one of the all-time dumbest things I've seen in wrestling: The WCW/MTV Ultimate Video Bash.

Airing in the middle of the day on a weekend in 1998, the live event was a tournament where wrestlers represented music videos. They would come out and one of two things would happen. Either they would have a match to decide which video advanced or they would have the fans at home vote via 900 number. Unfortunately, it was outside and raining heavily. We would only get one wrestling match in the very beginning.

High Voltage (representing "Gettin' Jiggy with It" by Will Smith) vs. Public Enemy (representing "Mama Said Knock You Out" by LL Cool J)

Listen to that High Voltage promo. Listen to it.

Sadly, the rest of the show isn't uploaded. With it deemed too dangerous to have wrestling matches in the rain, the three-hour special got chopped down to two and it was nothing but wrestlers coming out and talking up their pet music videos. You had Barry Darsow coming out to explain why the fans at home should call up and vote for Run DMC. That happened.

The show ended with DDP vs. Raven, only Raven sent Kidman out to represent him. DDP proceeded to win and got in a brawl with Raven to send the fans home happy. DDP represented Van Halen's "Without You." So WCW and MTV's big tournament ended with motherfucking Gary Cherone Van Halen winning and that in itself is the dumbest thing.

Holy poo poo I remember this. I recall young me being very disgruntled that Metallica was being represented by one of the jobber Armstrongs. I think it was Scott?

Edit: No it was probably Brad.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Retail Slave posted:

"Rosie O'Donnell" vs. "Donald Trump" from several years ago on Raw.

To this day I don't know what the gently caress that was all about.

Vince's usual attempts at being topical.

• Locked thread