Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
My least favorite spot of all time is the "Scott Hall has a guy in the abdominal stretch and grabs Kevin Nash's hand because he needs help standing up" spot

I know that theoretically he's increasing the leverage on the hold, but it has never not looked like "Jeez chico I'm gonna need some help staying on my feet mang"

Shout out to the "Nash then grabs the hand of a third guy just off the apron" version, which is even dumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Delsaber posted:

DX comeback runs, one of which probably led to the above.

I loved fat HHH as a middle-aged teenager trying to sell himself as the sexiest rebel of all time

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Gavok posted:

The DX thing that makes me roll my eyes the most is the whole Mizark Henry bit where X-Pac wore blackface to make fun of Mark. And like, hey, whatever, it was a different time. I can accept that.

But then WWE chose to double-down on it with the DX episode of the Monday Night Wars, where they singled that moment out as being so drat funny and made sure to have Mark Henry talk about how hilarous it was in order to say, "No, it's totally cool! See?"

Personally I'm all about the time DX rode an armed jeep around Atlanta and farcically declared war on WCW, and every time this was ever mentioned since the story became "Triple H drove an armored fighting vehicle, a tank with a rotating turret, into Eric Bischoff's offices and was so sexy he won the Monday Night Wars then and there"

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
The IC title has been the jobberweight championship for a while, guys, BNB basically never won a match during his reigns either.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I remember a "worst wrestler ever" thread (not here I don't think) and someone said "the fake Donald Trump from that one match" because they thought it was some loser who never worked before.

I'm just saying Ace Steel probably deserved a lot better

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

sticklefifer posted:

I just remembered two terrible angles involving Torrie Wilson.

1) Her feud with Dawn Marie, who literally sexed Torrie's father to death after dating him for an agonizing several weeks/months and then marrying him so she was Torrie's stepmom.

2) The double-feud of Nidia/Torrie and Billy Gunn/Jamie Noble, which somehow ended in a foursome orgy. It literally ended with all four in a bed together.

And yet I believe it was left to our imagination just how deeply Billy's love of asses runs

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

fart blood posted:

Nothing...NOTHING...beats WCW as far as "dumbest things in wresting" is concerned.

TNA is pretty drat close but WCW management was on a level I still haven't seen topped yet.

inb4 thread degenerates into "I KID YOU NOT, [WCW or TNA] REALLY DID THIS" circlejerking, featuring stories you've heard 800 times before

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

JGKing posted:

The WrestleMania 9 shambles where, instead of Bret retaining his title and leading the company into a new era, he loses it to Yokozuna...who immediately challenges Hulk Hogan to a title match for no reason and THE HULKSTER WINS IN ABOUT 5 SECONDS YAAAAY.

I'm a big anti-fan of Hogan's tag match on that card, the one where he does all the Hogan heel spots like back rakes and biting in the corner, attacks DiBiase and IRS with an illegal foreign object, assaults the ref, attempts to then win the match illegitimately by having his own manager (wearing ref stripes) count a pin, and steals like $300k from Money, Inc

Like, jesus, is it me or is this some of the most blatant heeling you could possibly imagine

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
HE used that name forever on the indies (and after his initial WWE run when he was in Japan), he wasn't Brian Kendrick until he came back

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Well excuse me, princess, didn't mean to offend you

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Gaz-L posted:

Except the show was in Canada, and the 'special secret rules' gimmick is a heel move. Basically, WCW booked a match specifically to not get over.

In point of fact the Canadian crowd loved it whenever Rougeau restarted the match even though Storm lost clean in the middle of the ring 4 times. And then Bret Hart came out and hugged them both, approving of Lance's dishonesty and lack of wrestling skill. The nationalism was frankly disgusting; if Dr. Charlie Manson von Haterape was Canadian and ate a baby in the ring, he'd get a giant face pop in Canada.

I'd say Russo intentionally booked the match so the crowd would make fools of themselves cheering the heel for perpetrating a massive screwjob, but I think that was utterly incidental and Vince had no clue this would happen.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Maybe poo poo on the match for booking Lance Storm to look as bad as possible?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
You're right, though, it was silly of me to say "Why not go dead for the stupid match that makes Lance Storm look like poo poo?" Of course he gets giant babyface hero pops for losing and heeling, he's from the same country as the other people in the crowd (and not even the same province, just the same country in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I remember in Kinnikuman there's a double-team move that Robin Mask and Ramenman did where Robin Mask pointlessly puts Ramenman in the Tower Bridge (torture rack) before throwing him at a guy.

I mean I love the Prime Time Players spots where Titus uses Darren as a weapon, but those make sense because those are all basically aided splashes -- Titus gives Darren an inverted suplex slam onto a guy, Titus irish-whips Darren into a stinger splash on a dude in the corner. Those spots make sense.

EDIT: On the subkect of Beaver Cleavage, to be fair that was a pet gimmick of Russo's that the other Vince gave the Okay on, and when it didn't get over Russo pulled out Russo Plan B: Work a Shoot.

• Locked thread