Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dixie Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

The altered reality stuff was more fan speculation because they figured something big was about to happen at that big iPPV and weren't sure what. Otherwise, yeah, Ashes was pretty dumb.

There are parts about it I liked, I respected the ambition to try it and it actually ended really well, but it was a self-serious mess that dragged on for-loving-ever. By the time it started to get interesting towards the end, people were just tired of it and wanted them to do wrestling matches and stuff. At the same time, they DID have wrestling matches for the replacement promotions (Wrestling is Cool, Wrestling is Intense, etc.), but they were heatless affairs that nobody came to see. You had a year of story with no wrestling alongside a year of wrestling with no story and it just wasn't worth the effort.

Then they released Ashes of Chikara, a feature-length version of the storyline using the YouTube videos they made and other footage. On paper it looked like it could work by streamlining the angle and filling in any blanks.They seemed serious about it enough that they even took out an ad in some Dark Horse comics that month. What they released was an incomprehensible clusterfuck of some of the worst acting, with important plot points completely missing, making it even more confusing than it originally was. Even the people in the Chikara forum felt cheated out of their money.

It didn't help that they tried building towards this right after their worst iPPV, which was their creative low-point by far and killed all of the company's momentum dead. This includes having the Young Bucks as tag champs and wasting them on a match with an out-of-shape 1-2-3 Kid and a broken-down Marty Jannetty. For best two out of three, too.

The real dumbest thing in wrestling is how proud Quack is of that awful suit he's started wearing since the Ashes premiere.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

I just remembered one of the all-time dumbest things I've seen in wrestling: The WCW/MTV Ultimate Video Bash.

Airing in the middle of the day on a weekend in 1998, the live event was a tournament where wrestlers represented music videos. They would come out and one of two things would happen. Either they would have a match to decide which video advanced or they would have the fans at home vote via 900 number. Unfortunately, it was outside and raining heavily. We would only get one wrestling match in the very beginning.

High Voltage (representing "Gettin' Jiggy with It" by Will Smith) vs. Public Enemy (representing "Mama Said Knock You Out" by LL Cool J)

Listen to that High Voltage promo. Listen to it.

Sadly, the rest of the show isn't uploaded. With it deemed too dangerous to have wrestling matches in the rain, the three-hour special got chopped down to two and it was nothing but wrestlers coming out and talking up their pet music videos. You had Barry Darsow coming out to explain why the fans at home should call up and vote for Run DMC. That happened.

The show ended with DDP vs. Raven, only Raven sent Kidman out to represent him. DDP proceeded to win and got in a brawl with Raven to send the fans home happy. DDP represented Van Halen's "Without You." So WCW and MTV's big tournament ended with motherfucking Gary Cherone Van Halen winning and that in itself is the dumbest thing.

I've had the Tuesday Nitro curator looking for it so I bet we find it soon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

What's the alternative, though? Cheer the anti-Canada babyface? "YAY, HE'S RIGHT, WE DO SUCK!".

They're not going to cheer Awesome, and not going to boo Storm. The best result you can hope for is the heel gets pops.

Maybe not book the match.

• Locked thread