Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

achillesforever6 posted:

Having John Cena beat Brock Lesnar in his first match back

Not just that, but the entire "worst year in John Cena's professional career" concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Delsaber posted:

Actually, DX in general.

The DX thing that makes me roll my eyes the most is the whole Mizark Henry bit where X-Pac wore blackface to make fun of Mark. And like, hey, whatever, it was a different time. I can accept that.

But then WWE chose to double-down on it with the DX episode of the Monday Night Wars, where they singled that moment out as being so drat funny and made sure to have Mark Henry talk about how hilarous it was in order to say, "No, it's totally cool! See?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's an alternate universe where WCW looks back at Goldberg calling out Austin on the Tonight Show as the moment that won them the Monday Night War.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

In the final days of the Bikertaker, he won a match that got him the right to any kind of match he wanted. Rather than go with the title match as McMahon figured, Undertaker instead chose a Buried Alive match against Vince. All in all it made sense and gave us a nice Vince beating before Kane showed up, attacked Undertaker and ultimately killed off the biker gimmick. On its own, not the worst angle.

EXCEPT in the lead-up, Vince cut one of the most ridiculous, over-the-line promos. To show how freaked out he was over this match, he had Paul Heyman brought in an went on this huge rant about all these things he wanted done to the Undertaker. Things I recall include:

- Have his children kidnapped.
- Have terrorists blow up his home.
- Having a gang of bikers rape his wife while Undertaker's forced to watch.

Thankfully, Heyman was able to actually save the segment just a bit by cutting a promo that was essentially, "The gently caress is wrong with you?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, this deserves mention. Not just for... well, look at it... but because of the timing.

This is right after WWE invested months in making Big Show their top face at the cost of Bryan's push. When they tried to co-opt the "YES!" chants into being Big Show's thing. When various PPV main events focused on him even if he wasn't in the match. When he main-evented Survivor Series to zero interest and afterwards sold a concussion on Raw for a week before simply vanishing all together.

Then he's dancing in a diaper.

Then the next time we see him, he's supposed to be the next big threat to Brock Lesnar.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of video replay, anyone remember the weird intermission from Wrestlemania 7? They spent like 10 minutes on Vince hosting a debate between George Steinbrenner and Paul McGuire over the pros and cons of instant replay ending with the Bushwackers in referee shirts watching trying to watch an instant replay of the whole segment. It was so dry and unfunny that they never played it again. Not on VHS or DVD and I'm guessing it's not on the Network either.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skinty McEdger posted:

The stupid tone deaf war crime altered reality angle with the bad photoshopped real politicans that Chikara did during Quacks mid life crisis.

I would just be like "Chikara" in general but I'll acknowledge some people like the product, but that whole thing was so weird and out there even the true believers were scratching their heads.

The altered reality stuff was more fan speculation because they figured something big was about to happen at that big iPPV and weren't sure what. Otherwise, yeah, Ashes was pretty dumb.

There are parts about it I liked, I respected the ambition to try it and it actually ended really well, but it was a self-serious mess that dragged on for-loving-ever. By the time it started to get interesting towards the end, people were just tired of it and wanted them to do wrestling matches and stuff. At the same time, they DID have wrestling matches for the replacement promotions (Wrestling is Cool, Wrestling is Intense, etc.), but they were heatless affairs that nobody came to see. You had a year of story with no wrestling alongside a year of wrestling with no story and it just wasn't worth the effort.

Then they released Ashes of Chikara, a feature-length version of the storyline using the YouTube videos they made and other footage. On paper it looked like it could work by streamlining the angle and filling in any blanks.They seemed serious about it enough that they even took out an ad in some Dark Horse comics that month. What they released was an incomprehensible clusterfuck of some of the worst acting, with important plot points completely missing, making it even more confusing than it originally was. Even the people in the Chikara forum felt cheated out of their money.

It didn't help that they tried building towards this right after their worst iPPV, which was their creative low-point by far and killed all of the company's momentum dead. This includes having the Young Bucks as tag champs and wasting them on a match with an out-of-shape 1-2-3 Kid and a broken-down Marty Jannetty. For best two out of three, too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I just remembered one of the all-time dumbest things I've seen in wrestling: The WCW/MTV Ultimate Video Bash.

Airing in the middle of the day on a weekend in 1998, the live event was a tournament where wrestlers represented music videos. They would come out and one of two things would happen. Either they would have a match to decide which video advanced or they would have the fans at home vote via 900 number. Unfortunately, it was outside and raining heavily. We would only get one wrestling match in the very beginning.

High Voltage (representing "Gettin' Jiggy with It" by Will Smith) vs. Public Enemy (representing "Mama Said Knock You Out" by LL Cool J)

Listen to that High Voltage promo. Listen to it.

Sadly, the rest of the show isn't uploaded. With it deemed too dangerous to have wrestling matches in the rain, the three-hour special got chopped down to two and it was nothing but wrestlers coming out and talking up their pet music videos. You had Barry Darsow coming out to explain why the fans at home should call up and vote for Run DMC. That happened.

The show ended with DDP vs. Raven, only Raven sent Kidman out to represent him. DDP proceeded to win and got in a brawl with Raven to send the fans home happy. DDP represented Van Halen's "Without You." So WCW and MTV's big tournament ended with motherfucking Gary Cherone Van Halen winning and that in itself is the dumbest thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Vince McMahon is pretty amazing. Horrible human being, but amazing nonetheless.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

I've had the Tuesday Nitro curator looking for it so I bet we find it soon.

Please let me know if you have any luck on that. That's my holy grail.

Or at least it is after someone finally uploaded that weird "Roddy Piper steals a talkshow from Herve Villechaize and shows clips of upcoming Saturday morning cartoons" TV special.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Where is this because that sounds amazing

All-Star Rock 'n' Wrestling Saturday Spectacular. Pro-click.

Back in the day, networks would occasionally do an hour-long special based on hyping up the upcoming fall Saturday morning cartoon lineup. In 1985, back when Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling was about to hit the scene, they did a special where Herve Villechaize was supposed to host a talk show, but Roddy Piper stole it away from him and locked him out of the studio or something. The announcer is Gary Owens (the original Space Ghost) and the guests include Patti LaBelle, Pee-Wee Herman, New Edition and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, while Captain Lou and Cyndi Lauper also show up.

So if you're interested in seeing heel Piper play off Pee-Wee, this is for you. The whole thing is a trip.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Edit: Double posting is the dumbest thing

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Then there was Paul Burchill and his "sister". Goddammit, one day Vince will see his dream of an incest angle play through!

So there's been, what, four attempts?

- Beaver Cleavage and his "mother"
- Ken Shamrock and Ryan Shamrock
- Vince and Stephanie
- Paul Burchill and Katie Lea

Any I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Someone reminded me of the existence of this one in another thread.

So back in the day, before he became a suicidal shell of a man, Zack Ryder had his Z Long Island Story YouTube series. Despite being cut off at the knees by that terrible Cena/Kane/Eve story far later, the series was really great. He was a jobber heel with nothing left to lose who got over by being charming, self-deprecating, having a decent cast of supporting characters (fellow wrestlers, his father and his bodybuilder friend) and breaking kayfabe just enough. Plus he got the fans involved on a week-to-week basis. It really got people behind him and made him a legit underdog you could cheer for.

Tyler Reks saw this and didn't seem to understand WHY it worked. And thus, we got the Midcard Mafia.

The Midcard Mafia was about the animated adventures of Reks, Curt Hawkins, Drew McIntyre and Tyson Kidd. With the exception of maybe McIntyre, calling them "midcard" was extremely generous since they were just guys who lost dark matches all the time and got a paycheck. Also, it probably wasn't the best idea to name themselves after a TNA stable.

The sub-sub-South Park animation was extremely bad and the audio wasn't much better. The series lasted for three episodes and despite the fact that it was supposed to be comedic, there's not a single laugh to be had throughout. It was painful in every way.

Despite all of the aforementioned problems, the biggest thing working against it was the tone. When Ryder joked about how he was trying to get over and WWE was dropping the ball on him, he did it with a smile. He was being silly and poked fun at himself. Reks and the rest were straight up bitter and mean-spirited. The first episode was about them constantly making GBS threads on Titus O'Neil and not in a way that seemed especially playful or even brought his wrestling into question. Just that they simply didn't like him. The second episode was about five minutes of whining about how Michael Cole had stolen their spot. How for some reason Cole doing heel commentary was a role that could have been used for them to get over. I don't know either.

The third episode had to do with a heatwave and they went to go visit Arn Anderson to ask how to get rid of their heat. That is... actually not the worst joke. Too bad they decided to put a photo of Chris Benoit in the background of the Arn scene.

By that point, WWE finally told them to cut it out and Reks tried to start up a hashtag of #BringBacktheMCM. It didn't take. The first three episodes have since been taken down and there's a trailer and preview for a second season that never got made.

• Locked thread