Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Go balls to the wall on the ice sections. Well, maybe not quite that fast, but the AI's time for ice is always terrible, so if you drive those sections a little more aggressively you can make up a lot of time.
I finished out the rally last night and I'm pretty sure it's just poorly done AI timings. Finished the stage I was getting wrecked on and lost by 10 seconds. Another short stage a couple after the one I got wrecked, I picked up 14 seconds. Then another one with a still solid run I lost 10 seconds again. Also: one of the longer stages included the first bad stage in full and at the halfway point (same start point) I was three seconds ahead at about the same point I'd been 10 seconds behind. I've determined there's simply no way with me having similarly good runs for there to be nearly 30 seconds of timing variation on short stages (sub-4 minute) making any sense at all.

The AI timings do seem generally worse on ascent ice sections, but I generally lost time to AI on descent ice sections (which seem annoyingly difficult because the car [BMW E30] either understeers for days or almost spins out entirely with no in between on downhill icy areas... one would think getting the back end out on a RWD car on ice would be easy, but apparently not).

Managed to net first by three seconds (with third place a solid 3 minutes back) thanks to holding a steady few second gain on all the stages that weren't landslides one way or the other.

Frankston posted:

How do the modern 2010 cars handle? I'm using the Subaru at the moment and I like it a lot. 4WD is awesome.
Finally bought the Fiesta after finishing the Monte Carlo above and all I can say is wow; I've only driven a single stage so far, but it is by far the most composed vehicle I've yet driven in Dirt Rally. If there was an easy mode in this game, it seems like it's hiding behind a 650,000 credit price tag. It even feels solid in the power category despite, unupgraded, sitting at 253 HP; it easily outshines my upgraded Group A Lancia and will only get better.

In other news, a little disappointed to see they decided to implement the new rally as just another event that features every single stage (back to Master again after intentionally dropping back to Pro for shorter events/to upgrade fresh vehicles). I wish they'd used the fact that they have more stages and just intermingled them to make championships more like the monthly events since now a Master Championship (vehicle locked) is about four hours (not including potential restarts), a sizable step up from the already lengthy three hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

bUm posted:

So: anyone who does well on Monaco got any useful tips (or better yet an informative video) for car configuration or techniques for it?

I tried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOBQ_DWz-Y

I'll go back and try to explain ice sections again when talking doesn't cause me to lose focus and drive all retarded.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

I tried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOBQ_DWz-Y

I'll go back and try to explain ice sections again when talking doesn't cause me to lose focus and drive all retarded.
Thanks.

Yeah, for quite awhile after getting into Dirt Rally I opted to listen to music without lyrics because words were throwing my ability to concentrate; talking/listening to friends while playing is definitely still distracting, but considerably less so than it was when I was worse.

Besides my taking hairpins more aggressively that is easily remedied, I think I'm fairly close to parity with what you were doing for the road sections (albeit a little less composed, but looks like you're using a wheel which helps in that category).

The ice definitely blew me away; are you handbraking at all to get it to turn in so well for the tighter icy turns or is that just brakes and maintaining constant gas or brake to keep weight shifting to get it to come around so quick? I feel like I always end up flat in icy sections (glancing at the steam guides, I think I might be setting my suspension too stiff so weight isn't transferring enough for ice driving) where the car ends up really unresponsive to steering (usually going straight, not sideways though like you mention briefly) until I slow down a lot or get handbrake happy which is usually pretty risky.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

bUm posted:

Thanks.

Yeah, for quite awhile after getting into Dirt Rally I opted to listen to music without lyrics because words were throwing my ability to concentrate; talking/listening to friends while playing is definitely still distracting, but considerably less so than it was when I was worse.

I can listen to stuff with lyrics, but it can't be something too involved or it distracts me. I've found chillstep, folk music, and classical work really well for me.

quote:

Besides my taking hairpins more aggressively that is easily remedied, I think I'm fairly close to parity with what you were doing for the road sections (albeit a little less composed, but looks like you're using a wheel which helps in that category).

The ice definitely blew me away; are you handbraking at all to get it to turn in so well for the tighter icy turns or is that just brakes and maintaining constant gas or brake to keep weight shifting to get it to come around so quick? I feel like I always end up flat in icy sections (glancing at the steam guides, I think I might be setting my suspension too stiff so weight isn't transferring enough for ice driving) where the car ends up really unresponsive to steering (usually going straight, not sideways though like you mention briefly) until I slow down a lot or get handbrake happy which is usually pretty risky.

I'm actually using a 360 controller with a thumbstick extension. I've been doing it since Forza 4.

I use handbrake pretty liberally when I'm just trying to get the rear out in a corner. Just a quick dab to kick it out on corner entry, then more if I'm missing the apex I want. A lot of what I'm doing is just staying on the gas at those high revs and pointing the front wheels where I want the car to go at various spots in the turn. In a 4WD, depending on how the torque splitter is set up, the front wheels are gonna be doing a lot of pulling, so you can just stand on the gas and rely on the wheels to steer. Exiting the turn probably gives me the hardest time, since if you're going too fast, you'll have to overcompensate by keeping your nose pointed inside to avoid running into the wall on the outside of the turn -- doing that, though, means that you have to snap back forward pretty violently and risk spinning the car. This is a lot more likely on something like the 205, which has a pretty significant rearward bias on the splitter w/ the default setup, as opposed to the Delta, which is more balanced.

Never use your regular brakes in the middle of a turn on ice if you need to lose the understeer -- you'll actually induce more understeer this way. Alternate some stabs on the throttle and use of the handbrake to get that rear end out. Otherwise, if you're looking for perfect entry, come in slow, give the steering a good flick from the outside to the inside, dab the handbrake, and feather that throttle as needed. You'll get a feel for it eventually.

If you feel like the car is too flat or unresponsive in the middle of a turn, it's because it's settled. Shift down and spin those tires if you have to. And like I said in the video, it's easier to approach the turn slowly and get more aggressive as you feel out the behavior of the car.

Also, if you haven't already: turn off the assists.

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
Just got a g27.

This is the hardest game I've ever played now. Trying to down shift while taking a hairpin turn at high speeds while depressing the clutch is loving brutal

And I thought the game was hard with my 360 controller.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I just setup a new season since there wasn't one. It's set to go live tonight at midnight (not sure what time zone tbh). Can Spicy Guacamole or someone who knows what they're doing check over the season to make sure I didn't do anything silly? Just to note, for the 3rd event I intentionally put the service area on the last stage because of the length.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Looks good, man. Only thing I'd recommend is putting a service area on the first stage of each event so that people can make adjustments and do shakedowns. It doesn't do that automatically. :confused:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Looks good, man. Only thing I'd recommend is putting a service area on the first stage of each event so that people can make adjustments and do shakedowns. It doesn't do that automatically. :confused:

Oh, I didn't realize that needed to be checked.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

This is a lot more likely on something like the 205, which has a pretty significant rearward bias on the splitter w/ the default setup, as opposed to the Delta, which is more balanced.

Never use your regular brakes in the middle of a turn on ice if you need to lose the understeer -- you'll actually induce more understeer this way. Alternate some stabs on the throttle and use of the handbrake to get that rear end out. Otherwise, if you're looking for perfect entry, come in slow, give the steering a good flick from the outside to the inside, dab the handbrake, and feather that throttle as needed. You'll get a feel for it eventually.

If you feel like the car is too flat or unresponsive in the middle of a turn, it's because it's settled. Shift down and spin those tires if you have to. And like I said in the video, it's easier to approach the turn slowly and get more aggressive as you feel out the behavior of the car.

Also, if you haven't already: turn off the assists.
Yeah, I noticed that about the 205. It was like: what's the point of driving a 4WD if it's putting all the power to the rear anyway? I found I performed better after making it 50/50 power distribution.

Looks like Monaco is the last of the four for my current Championship so I'll have to try improving my ice technique when I get there. Finally got to Germany and it seems pretty fantastic so far: cutting a fine line between maintaining huge speed and rocky death from losing control due to high speeds.

Only assists (that affect driving characteristics) I have on are ABS and Semi-Auto gearing. Someday I'll work on trying to transition to manually gearing, but it seems like it'll be a pain trying to juggle for awhile learning whilst maintaining steering/throttle/brake precision on a controller (probably should transition to manual in PCars before this... PCars is much tamer and repetitive, even if the controller control isn't as good).

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Maybe it isn't automatic so you can make it so everyone is using the default car setup and it's a level playing field?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

This game is fun. Tuning makes a big difference for some vehicles.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I only found out about this game a couple of days ago and I have to say I am loving it... so intense. Exactly what I wanted out of the Dirt games. Controller with all the assists off + manual is better than I thought it would be as well.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Game is amazing. The Dark Souls of racing games.

Just got this game as well, I like this reference quite a bit. I wouldn't mind vehicle damage to be even a little more significant though, since you can really seem to abuse the car before it becomes a problem. I did notice more damage to the slightly faster 1970s cars though, so maybe it increases as you go up in speeds.

I like a really zoomed in cockpit view, and Ireally wanna use the wheel-cockpit view but zoom it in way more to where you could barely see the dashboard tachometer, but the view options are so limited. It seems like everybody is kinda pushed to use the dash-cam with the HUD tachometer for your in-car view, based on the YouTube videos I've seen.

anyways game owns, gonna go do some more races and get in the fuckin' zone :hellyeah:

edit: also had to manually set my wheel to 270 degrees of rotation, which kinda sucks but isn't a big deal since this is the only racing game I play lately

texasmed fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 9, 2015

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

bUm posted:

Someday I'll work on trying to transition to manually gearing, but it seems like it'll be a pain trying to juggle for awhile learning whilst maintaining steering/throttle/brake precision on a controller (probably should transition to manual in PCars before this... PCars is much tamer and repetitive, even if the controller control isn't as good).
Try this config. All you need to is tap A+X or A+B to shift with the clutch, and you've got quick access to the handbrake if needed:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Well, managed to finish out my Master Championship finishing Germany and doing Monaco. Managed to squeeze out first on Germany (so intense! this is what a good tarmac rally races like, Monaco :v:) after starting it out in 3rd and slowly working my way to first, despite still only have half the upgrades for the Fiesta. The second to last stage the second place AI, a mere second back, wrecked though so the last stage was basically a formality with the new second place being 30 seconds back. Unfortunately, even with a full-up 85 rated crew, I ended the rally with some damage. Despite it only being some damage (nothing could've been too low; I was still getting everything to 96% or higher on last repair), apparently left over repairs are extremely expensive on 2010's because they set me back 127,000 credits (AKA: over half my earnings). :wtc:

Then I went on to Monaco pumped to try out the ice driving tips (and almost fully upgraded, a mere 12 HP shy finally) and things went exceptionally poorly. :smith: I got murdered so hard I was sitting in 5th after a handful of stages (the lowest I'd been, even including Wales when the car was bone stock). That was even after tuning a bit the first stage which I then decided to swap back to the Default and found myself getting wrecked substantially harder (losing about double the time per sector... which is lot given I was consistently running 10 seconds off first per stage). After that I did the ultimate move to getting better times (in addition to sticking to my way better than Default setup): turned off the timings so I wasn't distracted by worrying about how well I was doing. This helped considerably and I even started getting green sectors here and there (still leave the stage progress up so I make sure to be careful near the end) in addition to managing first on one stage, by four seconds no less.

Still only managed third by the end though which put me in 2nd for the whole Championship with 2nd/2nd/1st/3rd. I'm sure I could get first overall now with a fully upgraded vehicle since I'm pretty sure I'd be able to nab first on Wales and Greece with upgrades, but clearly Monaco is still the bane of my existence in Dirt Rally. I felt a lot better on the full ice sections thanks to the tips though (and indeed, many of my green sectors were on the bare tarmac or full/wide ice parts); apparently I need to work on the mixed tarmac/ice sections.

Bentai posted:

Try this config. All you need to is tap A+X or A+B to shift with the clutch, and you've got quick access to the handbrake if needed:

I feel like I'll pass on manual clutching when making the jump (assuming it's optional). I've definitely seen possible gains in Dirt Rally with manual transmission (various points when the auto shifts when it shouldn't [that long, straight climbing hill on Greece where it keeps hopping up-gear/down-gear/up-gear/etc. :argh:]), but manual clutch just seems tedious and hand-straining (for little discernible benefit since even if transitioning to a wheel like I might at some point since it'd be a pedal).

I was torn between using A/X and LB/RB though so maybe this leverages A/X.

bUm fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 9, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bUm posted:

I feel like I'll pass on manual clutching when making the jump (assuming it's optional). I've definitely seen possible gains in Dirt Rally with manual transmission (various points when the auto shifts when it shouldn't [that long, straight climbing hill on Greece where it keeps hopping up-gear/down-gear/up-gear/etc. :argh:]), but manual clutch just seems tedious and hand-straining (for little discernible benefit since even if transitioning to a wheel like I might at some point since it'd be a pedal).

I was torn between using A/X and LB/RB though so maybe this leverages A/X.

I always use auto-clutch in every racing game but you should really learn to manual shift, when I first started doing it I was cutting about 2-3 seconds off my normal lap times in some games. It also makes for faster starts in this game because the auto shift stays in first a ridiculously long time at the start.

E: Well this is interesting, they just announced on the Dirt blog that they have the FIA World Rallycross licence, so the rallycross tracks and cars coming in this month's content update are going to be the tracks used in that series. There's a little preview video here of the series drivers playing.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 9, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty sure we knew about the WRX licence from the start. Though I wish they could get the WRC licence too instead of that other mediocre series of games. Pro rally just doesn't feel right without a frenchie named Sebastien in the lead by a full minute.

Cool that we got Holjes confirmed along with Lydden Hill now.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 9, 2015

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
So, how does this game play with an automatic transmission? :v:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Trochanter posted:

So, how does this game play with an automatic transmission? :v:
Plenty playable with auto. It makes poor shifts occasionally and I'm not sure how much potential it has to improve times, but I've been able to compete for first place in Master (the most difficult) events when using fully upgraded cars with auto. Additionally, I've been able to snag top 100 times (out of a few thousand people) on the daily/weekly events.

Manual transmission might give a higher ceiling for putting up top times, but an auto transmission is not bad enough to blame for substantial performance shortcomings.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Monte Carlo is still tough, even with a fast as poo poo car. Still did mostly OK on Pra d'Alart, though. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7cdIuIPLDs

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I think I found the most masochistic thing yet in this game last night.

Reverting to my old way of choosing what car to buy next, what I need for weekly/monthly online events, I picked up a Group B RWD and, naturally, went for the lighter and more HP Lancia (*A distant Jeremy Clackson yelling "Power!" rings out* No such thing as too hard to drive in the quest for power, right?). The first event in the championship to get some upgrades on it was Germany. At first I figured this would be ideal, but, after spending an hour and a half just trying to complete a single run on the first stage (granted a long stage, at night time to boot), I realized I was very wrong. Since I don't have the advanced setup unlocked yet, I can't go in and tone down the super aggressive camber/toe the Default setups run on Germany which, paired with the Group B RWD Lancia, is basically the perfect storm of control problems:
  • It spins if you get on the gas too hard too early after a turn (actually expected this to be more problematic than it was based on the 1970's Lancia).
  • It spins or veers un-recoverably off course if you turn the wheel too far in fast corners.
  • It cascades to leaning over further and further on long turns that often send you off one side or the other if you let it go/try to correct (and has lift-off oversteer so even letting up doesn't help you).
  • It spins 180 degrees instantly if you press the brakes while it is leaning hard into a turn (there's a few turns with long leaning curves into acutes/hairpins/right-angles that ruined me many times).
  • It insta-spins if you get a single wheel in the grass unless you're under ~50 MPH.
  • It has terribly ineffective brakes that suck at straight-line stopping like nothing I've yet experienced in this game (although I did seem to be stopping better after swapping to pumping the brakes 0%-100%-0%-100% rather than steadily increasing them).
The worst part of all: a lot of these steering problems are fairly speed agnostic, the thing is just genuinely unstable constantly (hell, it's probably more stable at higher speeds, but then, of course, you're in a much worse spot for unexpected mishaps). Oh, and, this instability was actually worse before I did pretty significant tweaks to the setup (as much as I could without advanced tuning unlocked) throughout the course. :ohdear:

10/10; would not recommend taking an unupgraded Group B RWD on Germany. I was getting better at managing it later in the runs though, maybe it'll click for me today when I'm fresh (although I'm very confident that I could tune away the instability if I had advanced tuning unlocked).

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Monte Carlo is still tough, even with a fast as poo poo car. Still did mostly OK on Pra d'Alart, though. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7cdIuIPLDs
Was a second slower than you in the same car (I think, I use hood cam but that looks like it's the Fiesta) for the weekly event (granted it was snowing and night... but night isn't a big deal on Monaco).

Kind of disappointed: was maintaining solid runs for the 2010's Weekly, but popped a tire halfway through the last stage (that ended up bare rim the last sector) and it cost me about 30 seconds. Would've been around 30th/320 if not for that instead of 70th.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Yeah some of the default car setups are just unavoidably trash. The Impreza setup for Greece had me flying off cliffs regularly because I constantly expected more oversteer than it wanted to give me.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bUm posted:

10/10; would not recommend taking an unupgraded Group B RWD on Germany. I was getting better at managing it later in the runs though, maybe it'll click for me today when I'm fresh (although I'm very confident that I could tune away the instability if I had advanced tuning unlocked).
It's not that hard, you just give yourself more time to ease the car's weight off the rear. It's amazing what the 037 will give you if you just give it a bit of brake while keeping the throttle at around 50% or so in a corner.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Great Joe posted:

It's not that hard, you just give yourself more time to ease the car's weight off the rear. It's amazing what the 037 will give you if you just give it a bit of brake while keeping the throttle at around 50% or so in a corner.
By far and away the hardest thing I've run into in this game thus far (outside, perhaps, the initial learning curve). :shrug:

Just finally finished it. Took probably four and half hours all told to get through all 12 stages with non-car-murdering runs and it was probably the most miserable time I've had playing this game to date. Guess, on the plus side, my pace was good enough that, even going for just finishing runs, I managed second. Pretty sure this is the last time I want to bring a car without advanced setup options to Germany though. If the Fiesta (which I also found far worse to drive on Germany with Default than the other three) was anything to go by: you can greatly reduce the oversteer, have it be drastically easier to drive, and still lay down equal or better times than even a solid run with the finicky Default.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

OMG! I GET IT!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This is going to sound really gushy and cut/paste worthy but gently caress it cause I'm stoked...

I am not sure what changed across the last couple hours of playing but everything finally clicked and now its like the controller is a clawing and nose tilting device. It doesn't matter what car i'm in or what the surface is like, its just adjustments. The awful feeling where corner to corner you aren't sure what you did differently that made you turn or not slowly fades and you you don't even need to think about what you are doing, its just focusing 100% on seeing and hearing what is next. I swear it makes late calls, I've smashed quite a few times off a 6/5 which tightens to < 4 with the change called mid corner and too late.

For anyone getting into this from the start, turning off the aids is crucial, as has been mentioned. (except maybe abs and auto which ill ween off now) Took me until professional class to get there, so a fair bit of playing.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 11, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Good, now record yourself getting through Monte Carlo in a Lancia 037 or Ford Sierra.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Also set the pacenotes to be called later earlier. There's still some weird calls but it's a lot better imo.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 12, 2015

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Jehde posted:

Also set the pacenotes to be called later. There's still some weird calls but it's a lot better imo.
Either you mean earlier or you are a crazy person. The default timing is already way too late with anything faster than the 60s cars.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sorry yeah I meant earlier, I am also crazy person though so. :shrug:

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
So does anyone think there's any chance Codemasters is going to try making some longer (25+ km) stages or are we basically boned as far as crazy realistic stage lengths. I really would like to see stages long enough that I can't just memorize them.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They're still using the Dirt 3 engine so they're kinda limited. They did manage to fit Pikes Peak though, which is 20 km.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So the way to solve pace note issues and catapult this to greatest rally game of all time: move it further to the simulation side and make a pace note creation system.

This is the least effort for what the game could really use type solution:

Add co-drivers to team management with some kind of perk tie in. Add a recce option to event menu or even streamline it onto the end of shakedowns with an option like the restart/replay/etc. Skip recce/shakedown and use the basic codemaster notes or give a customizable timeline allowing you to move triggers for individual calls sooner or later visualized with your own shakedown. Save different sets of pacenotes like tuning profiles.

OR you could get really complicated and create your own notes with a speed limited recce drive using something like described at 1m24s in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7EYVJL9XU to automatically work out corner severity and maybe you hold a button during corners to work out length and press another to mark a crest/dip/jumps, pressed while holding corner button would include it in the corner note. Then you review after to tune the trigger for the notes or add in modifiers. Simple video editing software interface, video timeline is the replay with some mild augmented reality style markers, audio timeline would be all the notes synced to track position rather than time.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 12, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Some way to alter the pace notes would definitely be nice. Not sure they need to go full :spergin: to the point of including all that video offers (cool to know how actual teams do them though), but being able to alter any given call and shift timings to be earlier/later would be great. There's definitely some calls currently in game I would adjust if I could; usually ones where the current pace notes underestimate things that are the primary cause of incidents, but also a couple where they overestimate and I lose time needlessly slowing more than necessary.

SealHammer posted:

So does anyone think there's any chance Codemasters is going to try making some longer (25+ km) stages or are we basically boned as far as crazy realistic stage lengths. I really would like to see stages long enough that I can't just memorize them.
I would've guessed engine limitation also if not for the comment on Pike's Peak; even then, the fact that it's weaving up one side of a mountain makes it a lot less spread out than linking the two pieces of Col de Turini would be or having a much longer/more spread out countryside journey through Wales/Germany.

Unless they add user-generated rally courses I wouldn't count on it though since Codemasters, even if they did make a long singular run like that, would cut it into a bunch of pieces and run you through the ringer on them like the current selection so you'd memorize (at least the more memorable parts) them anyway. :gonk:

Long runs or not, I hope they get user-stage creation going at some point to make rallies far less repetitive as it is my biggest beef with Dirt Rally (which speaks to how good it is).

Great Joe posted:

Good, now record yourself getting through Monte Carlo in a Lancia 037 or Ford Sierra.
Turns out Monte Carlo was next after Germany for my Lancia 037 journey. It's really sketchy on ice (especially the more technical icy areas going downhill), but it's brilliant on tarmac; so brilliant, in fact, I might be able to get first (4 second lead 8/12 of the way) with only half the upgrades (still missing -200 kg and ~30 HP) on my worst rally. :dance: Naturally, due to the ice sketchiness, the first two stages were both the long versions that start in the village which made me have a pretty garbage setup till the third stage.

Edit: Finished it out. Lost my advantage thanks to solid AI runs in stages 9 and 10 to being down about one second. Stage 11 I busted out a pretty good Pra d'Alart (presumably, nothing to compare it to for Group B RWD; got a 6:50) to jump to a six second lead. The last stage the second place guy wrecked (this seems to happen fairly often when you have a slight lead on them... potentially a nice touch to emulate them trying hard to win) and I ended up winning by 32 seconds. :shrug:

Now the tough question: since the Lancia is fully upgraded, should I grab the Opel so I can fully (hopefully) upgrade both Group B RWD's in a single Championship? Probably lose the championship if I do, but I'm pretty sure there's no benefit to actually winning the overall championship (maybe an achievement? I already got one for winning the Group B Master's, not sure if there's per-class ones).
/Edit

SealHammer posted:

Yeah some of the default car setups are just unavoidably trash. The Impreza setup for Greece had me flying off cliffs regularly because I constantly expected more oversteer than it wanted to give me.
I don't remember altering my Fiesta's setup for the Greece rally too much, but, yeah, during the daily today it felt like it was understeering like mad. I wish you could load custom setups for the car owner's daily (and from the first stage for weeklies, instead of having to wait to the first repair session).

bUm fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 12, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

On the topic of rally, this just blew my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKA9RaHW1c0

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ERC is fun to watch, makes you feel not so bad at Dirt. WRC is kinda boring because it's always just Sebastien in the lead and everyone driving perfectly. However WRC does get the more spectacular crashes when they do happen. That guy uploads every ERC rally to his channel, albeit sometimes pretty late. Definitely worth subscribing to.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Ive heard of the azores but I had no idea there was an island that looked like that. Its like a computer game... there is even a dirt road carved in that ridge line all the way around the island.

I want this place in the game so bad.

edit: another stage from this crazy place - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLE7Ab1BSME

Qmass fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 12, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Stuff like that makes me sad I can't get Eurosport right now, though it does confirm my belief that lower level/feeder series' are always better than the top level in any motorsport.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 12, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh, we're wishing now?

I want Tomcats and Formula Offroad.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

Stuff like that makes me sad I can't get Eurosport right now, though it does confirm my belief that lower level/feeder series' are always better than the top level in any motorsport.

Same goes for any sport really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh, and I also want Finnish folk racing.

• Locked thread