Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Still wishin for a Safari Rally + Nissan Classics pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Great Joe posted:

Oh, and I also want Finnish folk racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IZ_TEzg7M

Edit: I always recommend people listen to Royal John's opinions on realism starting at 27:00 ish. It shits all over AC/PCars/GT etc.

osker fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 12, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

osker posted:

Edit: I always recommend people listen to Royal John's opinions on realism starting at 27:00 ish. It shits all over AC/PCars/GT etc.

"This is open world game and you go in and out of vehicles as you would in real life" *jump crouches into van*

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Not mine but holy poo poo. Dyffryn Afon done fast.

Peugeot 205 T16 Evo 2 - 2:48.059 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAlQc0K3Oz8

Ford Fiesta RS - 2.55.126 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxXflS6kRVE

Qmass fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 12, 2015

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Just got into the E30. Monte Carlo is a riot to drive now. Are there any good baseline setup changes that can improve the E30 across all the different rally areas?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
God I'm terrible at this game (Sorry for the cursor)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Almost forgot to finish the league event, but squeaked in the last two stages at nearly the last minute! Maybe that's why I drove so fast. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3oCG3U3ccc

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Almost forgot to finish the league event, but squeaked in the last two stages at nearly the last minute! Maybe that's why I drove so fast. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3oCG3U3ccc

Yeah, I saw you ahead in the 2nd stage, but nothing else. Too bad sealhammer didn't do anything this time.

Also too bad the Mini sucked. I wanted to drive that but it just felt sluggish.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I was pretty happy with being edged out of 1st by 2 seconds... but uh, welp.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

osker posted:

I've been subbed to this channel for about a year now. I love his accent, though I do wonder how much of it is put on.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Great Joe posted:

I love his accent, though I do wonder how much of it is put on.
All of it. He's doing an extremely over the top Finnish rally driver impression and it's clearly fake as gently caress. Still pretty funny, though.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

Yeah, I saw you ahead in the 2nd stage, but nothing else. Too bad sealhammer didn't do anything this time.

Also too bad the Mini sucked. I wanted to drive that but it just felt sluggish.
Legend has it that if you sacrifice four tires and say his name three times fast under a full moon, he'll appear in the night sky driving a flaming Peugeot.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I had a crash on this run so I bet I could shave at least 5 seconds off this time. How come are you guys getting such bad times on this stage? :smug:

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Great Joe posted:

I had a crash on this run so I bet I could shave at least 5 seconds off this time. How come are you guys getting such bad times on this stage? :smug:

I just suck, is all. No excuses here.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Ok Done the new stages after the new event went up,
Stage 3
Stage 4

a bit better as I went on, some horrible spins and I had never driven any of the germany stages before.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I have to say, on dirt, I really don't like the 60's Cooper S. It feels like any little bump well set me off bouncing over whatever cliff is closest. It was a nightmare in Greece in the career mode, but once I got through that it was more fun. I really liked it at Germany, which has exactly zero dirt.

I don't completely understand the settings that the game has by default. When I start an event, there are some settings, but then I can hit F2 to show the default settings, which are sometimes different from what is already there. What exactly are the settings that are already there, if not the default settings?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

pik_d posted:

I don't completely understand the settings that the game has by default. When I start an event, there are some settings, but then I can hit F2 to show the default settings, which are sometimes different from what is already there. What exactly are the settings that are already there, if not the default settings?
Yeah, I don't know what the deal with this is either other than assuming it's a bug. :shrug:

Had it happen when I did the Group B RWD Weekly on Germany last night. Whatever random setup it gave me turned out to be pretty good (and better when I could finally tweak it for the third stage to improve acceleration/braking) and I found myself at 18/1018 on the Weekly when I completed it last night (with 5 and a half hours remaining). :dance:

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Since i got into Group B I've somehow forgotten how to drive RWD.

First corner always ends in a blown tire.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
Codemasters should really get on point and figure out how to make low-quality rain particles that don't drop you by 40 fps. I'm real tired of crashing out because I can't figure out how to drive a slideshow.

Also manual wipers. The number of times I've had wipers randomly turn on during dry stages right as I'm approaching a corner, blocking my vision, is maddening.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Are you playing in 3rd person view? For the rain stages I mean. I think there's something weird going on with the rain and the motion blur from moving the camera that makes the FPS plummet. Otherwise I haven't noticed any drops in FPS. Don't get any problems playing in the cockpit view when it's raining.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 15, 2015

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I've found that the lowest quality weather effects actually slow my system down much more than the medium quality ones. After increasing the detail for weather effects I find it's much faster than with low quality. No idea why though.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I've had slight performance problems since some patch during my gap in play (never saw any FPS drops prior except occasional background processes mucking things up), but it doesn't seem weather related for me; pretty sure my issues are tree-related since I've only had stutters (still fairly rare) in the forest portion of Germany and periodically on Wales.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Are you playing in 3rd person view?
I doubt it since nobody should play in third person (also the video he posted was using hood). I started in third person for some reason and took awhile to realize the error of my ways; I cut a huge chunk of time off all my runs once I swapped to hood cam since good nose placement completely negates caring at all about what happens with the rear end end of the car and placing the nose deep into the turn is often much faster (and easier in hood than chase cam).

Maybe I'll eventually move to interior/UI off to get more bonus ducats for offline.

Gerblederp posted:

Since i got into Group B I've somehow forgotten how to drive RWD.

First corner always ends in a blown tire.
4WD's in general are so much easier.

On RWD :argh:: the Lancia 037 has proved to be a massive pain in the rear end to get around Wales. Fortunately, the Master AI is trash in Group B RWD around Wales. On River Severn (long), first stage, I went off and got a 15 second penalty and still only lost 1.5 seconds to the top AI. On the second stage (another long), I had a multi-barrel-roll crash costing ~10 seconds and still picked up five seconds over the top AI. The third stage (another long*), the top two AI (ones that are consistently 1st and 2nd if I'm not disturbing them) both wrecked. I'm sitting a full minute up at with 8/12 in the books and that's pretty much without restarts (aka: plenty of mistakes) after the first stage (dialing in a not completely awful setup was tough since the Default just bounced and slid off all over the place). Who knew once I got the setup in check, it'd be one of the easiest events I've ever run.

* Didn't notice until this freak championship with the first three stages being long that the long/short composition of every rally in the championship is identical after RNG decides their placement when you start it. I never want the opening three to all be long runs again; I prefer easing into things with some shorts and having the longs in the middle.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Legend has it that if you sacrifice four tires and say his name three times fast under a full moon, he'll appear in the night sky driving a flaming Peugeot.

You gonna post a time this round?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Would this game be fun if I just want to drive around on dirt roads without messing with tuning or car damage?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Yes, I've played this for a hundred hours and have yet to touch any of the tuning options.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Cool, I'll probably buy this soon then, thanks.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Oh god I just went quickest overall on stage 1 of the league event and ended up almost a minute down overall. It's maddening.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

You gonna post a time this round?
Yeah, I'll try to knock 'em out when I get home.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

My first 2 stages were so awful that my second two didn't even put a dent in them :(

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, I'll try to knock 'em out when I get home.
Well, I made a lot of new friends out there, today. Unfortunately, most of them were rocks. :)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Well, I made a lot of new friends out there, today. Unfortunately, most of them were rocks. :)

Yeah, the "rocks outside" can really punish you on the German tracks. Not as bad as the gates in Wales just past blind jumps though.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
AI wrecking in Group B RWD seems pretty common.

Finishing out Wales, second place (the usually third best AI, since first and second had already wrecked) crashed and I ended up winning a Master Event by over three minutes over second place. :laugh:

With first place overall secured regardless of outcome on the fourth event, I decided to pick up the Opel Manta to get some unlocks rolling on it. It's a pig compared to the Lancia 037 (granted, no upgrades... but it still feels a lot more sluggish than I remember the unupgraded Lancia) both in maneuverability and power. So I'm rolling along in 5th place after a few stages, as expected. Then the third best AI wrecks out, cool: 4th place. Keep chugging along and, a couple stages later, fourth best AI wrecks out, cool: 3rd place. Getting into the latter stages, 3 to go and second best AI wrecks out; neat: 2nd place. :dance: Cue fifth best AI turning on cheat mode: he obliterates both me and the best AI by a solid 10+ seconds over the next two stages, putting me in third by about five seconds (first place well ahead) and successfully making me pretty mad as I'd gotten my hopes up about getting second (after expecting 4th or 5th going in).

I head into the last stage and in the first sector am six seconds in the green. That doesn't seem right; I've barely been in the green all rally for any sector, let alone by even half that much. Second sector and I'm ten seconds in the green. I start grinning because if I hold pace I'll definitely get 2nd back and it seems likely first place wrecked. Sure enough, I finish out the stage gaining 12 seconds: easily passing the AI that'd surpassed me and the first place guy was nowhere to be found. Unupgraded car getting first place out of the blue because the best four AI all wrecked. :woop:

After that I picked up the Peugeot Kit Car to see if I can't get it upgraded in time to do the Kit Car Weekly. Only done a single stage, but drat if I don't feel like I'm driving the FWD version of the Lancia 037: it's ridiculously powerful and seems pretty frightening at first glance to do well with.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

:raise:

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'm surprised the pike's peak cars are so different. The 205 feels absurdly fast with a twitchy suspension (until you get to the dirt). It has longer gearing but really bad turbo lag. It feels like a challenge to keep it going quickly on the tarmac sections. However, the long gearing lets you get going REALLY fast when you have a straight-ish road ahead of you.

The quattro and 405 feel a lot more modern comparatively. They still have huge amounts of power and you have to manage the weight of the car because of the huge weight transfers you get with aero assisted braking and 600hp, but I can hustle them around the tarmac a lot easier. They seem to have gearing issues though; I'll hit the top of 6th even with a maxed out final drive and 6th gear even when some of the straights give you a few more seconds of going flat out.

Is there anything tuning wise that can be done to make the 205 more behaved on tarmac? The other two just seem boring to drive in comparison, even if I can drive them faster. (disclaimer: I am bad at driving)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bUm posted:

AI wrecking in Group B RWD seems pretty common.
Well, it was the most fatal type of rally car.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Doc Morbid posted:

All of it. He's doing an extremely over the top Finnish rally driver impression and it's clearly fake as gently caress. Still pretty funny, though.

I don't think he's faking it. Have a music video he made few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABgSzsPGDc

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Triple A posted:

I don't think he's faking it. Have a music video he made few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABgSzsPGDc
Art.

He's done some other videos where he speaks English, and while he has a noticeable Finnish accent it's nowhere near as... rallienglanti as in the My Summer Car videos and he doesn't gently caress up the pronunciation of every other word.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Doc Morbid posted:

Art.

He's done some other videos where he speaks English, and while he has a noticeable Finnish accent it's nowhere near as... rallienglanti as in the My Summer Car videos and he doesn't gently caress up the pronunciation of every other word.

I suspect he's just drunk when he's making MSC videos. Either way, he's a magical man and he will truly represent Finland in the most perfect way. :allears:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I recant my earlier words on calling the Peugeot Kit Car the FWD version of the Lancia 037. It just took a bit of practice with a high power FWD car to make it a rather easy and very fun drive (a bit of tuning also helped). Definitely became one of my favorites over the course of my first event with it (Greece); even managed to edge my way into a second place finish, up from 5th in the early goings (without any competition wrecking, unlike the Group B RWD). The default gearing kind of drives me crazy though: 1st gear till ~50 MPH, ~20 MPH per gear thereafter. Without advanced tuning you can't even really fix it without making later gears way too small (spend a lot of time shifting when they only cover ~15 MPH).

Couldn't get it fully upgraded in time for the Kit Car weekly and the default setup for it seems pretty rear end on Monaco (mad lift off oversteer/back swinging wildly around too much on bumpy stuff), but still did alright (~50th).

Pretty proud of my 1980's weekly though: snagged 25th. Drove like a dream loading up my old setups on it.

Still not particularly pleased with the way they seem to like doing weeklies though: both last week and one this week were six stages all of which are actually the same set of road (forward, reverse, the two forward sprints, the two reverse sprints). Way to highlight the weakest aspect of the game, how repetitive stages are. :thumbsup: Then the other one was six long stages which was kind of annoyingly long (~42 minutes, sprint stages are a nice respite).

Great Joe posted:

Well, it was the most fatal type of rally car.
I believe it.

After much tuning, I'm basically convinced there isn't a setup to make the Lancia 037 tame throughout the entirety of Wales; tamed it (off the ice, I don't think you can tame a high-power RWD on ice) on Monaco though and it felt real good. :dukedog:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Somewhat low turnout for the Pikes Peak event (~4 hours left), not to surprising because it's much tougher than the other events. I have to admit I had no clue that there wouldn't be pace notes when I set it up.

Anyone else want to setup the next season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Ugh. I fired the game up for the first time in awhile last night and only got the first stage done. Oh well.

• Locked thread