Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Finland isn't in the game, is it? I thought it was just Sweden, which is still pretty fun, but not the same :(

The snow physics seemed... better in Dirt Rally, maybe? Or am I just imagining things? I felt like in Rally I could use the snow to slow down a little if I wanted, whereas here it seems more likely I'll either spin it or flip the car entirely. Still, Sweden is fun, particularly when you get that rhythm down and feel the car using the terrain instead of getting beaten up by it.

The bad part of me kind of wishes they would introduce a spectator casualty count :unsmigghh:

What was the mode in Dirt 2 (?) where it was basically a super high-speed run through the desert/canyons and stuff? I miss that. It horrifying and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was talking about Dirt Rally, so IDK.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
sweden at night was the hardest thing in DR imo

it just isnt as fun to snake through low walls forever compared to clutch kicking around hairpins and taking huge jumps

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

Turn the wheel zaphod! TIGHTENS TIGHTENS! You're not listening to my calls!

Surely someone has modded this in by now

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I SAID DON'T CUT DIDN'T I

Seriously an angry co-driver mod would be amazing.

Thief posted:

sweden at night was the hardest thing in DR imo

it just isnt as fun to snake through low walls forever compared to clutch kicking around hairpins and taking huge jumps

Yeah exactly.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For anyone who doesn't know what we are referring too: https://youtu.be/Nh8pSPmKupc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

julian assflange posted:

For anyone who doesn't know what we are referring too: https://youtu.be/Nh8pSPmKupc

This is so beautiful.

TRIPLE CAUTION! Listen to me! Medium left, medium left into short---LISTEN TO MY CALLS! I'm telling you.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

julian assflange posted:

SAMI SAMI YOU MUST STAY ON ROAD!!!!

Yea I need this as a mod.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
They need to let you make your own voice packs.

And possibly walk the track to place your own notes.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

a mysterious cloak posted:

What was the mode in Dirt 2 (?) where it was basically a super high-speed run through the desert/canyons and stuff? I miss that. It horrifying and awesome.

Trailblazer, and yeah it was awesome. Definitely my favourite mode in that game. Tricked out rally cars with absolutely huge gently caress-off spoilers.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It kinda blows it looks like Dirt 4 is done. I'd really like some DLC to mix up the track bits a little.

gently caress just let me play Dirt Rally tracks in dirt 4

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Codemasters hasn't updated the game since early July.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

cowboy elvis posted:

Codemasters hasn't updated the game since early July.

And the last Road Book they posted was basically "yo clubs are coming soon even though clubs aren't leagues so who the gently caress cares also look at this F1 2017 trailer". It does feel like they've just given up on it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It sure does seem like it. Maybe they're working on a substantial update that's going to drop in the near future.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keket posted:

They need to let you make your own voice packs.

And possibly walk the track to place your own notes.

A co-op mode where the other player only has a microphone and a sheet of paper would be pretty great too.

GTA5 lets you do that and its pretty fun even though the driving in that game sucks.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Norns posted:

It kinda blows it looks like Dirt 4 is done. I'd really like some DLC to mix up the track bits a little.

gently caress just let me play Dirt Rally tracks in dirt 4

Sigh. I hope not, but yea it does feel that way

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I think adding a few new bits to existing environments would be nice. I personally would like to see some tarmac transitions in Michigan and Fitzroy while adding short gravel sections to Tarragona.

As for new locations, Central Finland is a no-brainer since it gives fast but technical gravel and Corsica for tight and challenging stages full of poorly maintained tarmac.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
The random tracks and poor pace notes killed this game for me. There's a lot to like, but hitting the same corners again and again got boring fast. In Rally I could shave seconds off my time when a part of the track "clicked". In 4 it's just twitch reactions through vaguely familiar puzzle pieces without being able to trust my copilot.

I'm still hoping for a Rally 2. But if 4 failed as hard as it seems I'm guessing that won't happen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I looked up the Steam Spy numbers (as usual, not that reliable and not including console versions) and they say Dirt 4 has just shy of 70k owners compared to Dirt Rally's 700k.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

njsykora posted:

I looked up the Steam Spy numbers (as usual, not that reliable and not including console versions) and they say Dirt 4 has just shy of 70k owners compared to Dirt Rally's 700k.

Dirt Rally has been free in bundles and i think has had free weekends, so those numbers will not be representative.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's also been out for ages

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Trailblazer, and yeah it was awesome. Definitely my favourite mode in that game. Tricked out rally cars with absolutely huge gently caress-off spoilers.

Yeaahhhhhh, that's the one! I loved Trailblazer.

I'm still having fun with D4, but like you guys have mentioned the pace notes are killing me. There's no scale-to-speed, so god forbid I go from historical FWD cars to anything modern. Just last night there were 2 distinct crashes that wouldn't have happened if I'd gotten the call a couple of seconds earlier, and would've bumped me up on the podium. Having to go into the menus to tweak the timing of the calls sucks. But still enjoying it.

Looking at getting Rally for the Xbone since my PC is rapidly dying, looks like Amazon has it for $26 on disc...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Wow, I forgot how tough Rally was. D4 is a cakewalk. But the pace notes are pretty tight and the environments seem... better? More vivid? Maybe it's just because I'm playing it on a big TV instead of a PC monitor.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If you really hall rear end through a section, especially with the actually fast classes (as opposed to just when you're going down wild hills) it's very easy to get to a point where they're calling turns out after you've already navigated past them and does not skip ahead so you are essentially blind until you gently caress up and your co-driver can catch back up.

Hopefully they patch sometime soon, this is getting a bit out of hand.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I've caught up to the calls a handful of times, too - if it's an easy turn, no biggie, but forget it if it's over a crest or otherwise hidden. That's how I kill most of my spectators - slow calls from the co-driver followed by me hurtling through the cosmos at full speed. Most recently with the Audi Quattro, which I think is actually powered by consumption of human souls.

The co-driver thing that cracks me up is you can essentially bumper-car your way around a course and get "Hey, perfect run, nice job!", but I've also had solid, clean runs, moved up from say, 5th place to 1st, and you get, "We need to push harder on the next stage and gain some positions." Ummmm... what?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a mysterious cloak posted:

which I think is actually powered by consumption of human souls.

That's Group-B Baybee

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

After driving the 205 through a 15-kilometre Spanish stage with rain so heavy it was effectively fog (as well as absolutely destroying the surface grip), I can confirm that Group B cars are powered by the consumption of human souls.

Thel fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 25, 2017

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I bought Rally a few months ago but only played on a gamepad until I picked up a T150 wheel and pedals last week.

I also talked a buddy into being my codriver, so we spent an afternoon making our own pacenotes and racing the poo poo out of it and HOLY poo poo ITS FUN. Its also surprisingly fun to be the codriver too, pretty satisfying when you can talk the driver into going flatout over a blind jumping turn and he nails it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I bought Rally a few months ago but only played on a gamepad until I picked up a T150 wheel and pedals last week.

I also talked a buddy into being my codriver, so we spent an afternoon making our own pacenotes and racing the poo poo out of it and HOLY poo poo ITS FUN. Its also surprisingly fun to be the codriver too, pretty satisfying when you can talk the driver into going flatout over a blind jumping turn and he nails it.

That's super cool, I was kinda wanting a mode where somebody else could be your co-driver. Do you just turn down the in game voice volume or talk over it or what? And How do you get the pace notes, the old fashioned way? Very cool.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

That's super cool, I was kinda wanting a mode where somebody else could be your co-driver. Do you just turn down the in game voice volume or talk over it or what? And How do you get the pace notes, the old fashioned way? Very cool.

There's an option to set voice volume to zero to get rid of the built in co-driver.

And yeah, we would do super slow runs of each course and take paper notes as we went. Neither of us knew much about how to write the notes so there was a bunch of trial and error.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Man some real life or fake but actually CREATED tracks would be awesome. Monte Carlo, Mt. Washington, something.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

AcidRonin posted:

Man some real life or fake but actually CREATED tracks would be awesome. Monte Carlo, Mt. Washington, something.

This is what I'm missing most in this game, and is why I generally play DR instead. I hope there's some DLC coming to address this, but due to the poor sales compared to DR, I think D4 might be dead :S

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

That loving blows, is there any indication that they have killed it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The last Road Book blog was basically just a trailer for F1 2017 and that was over a month ago.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I don't think they ever released any actual DLC for Dirt Rally either, did they? The last Dirt game they actually really added lots of content to post release was Dirt 3, if i remember correctly.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

They added the hill climb and then the rallycross in patches after the initial early access release. Not really DLC since it was still early access when they added it but sort of I guess.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dirt Rally wasn't a main series Dirt game, it was an expirement. I don't think they ever planned for DLC for it post-launch. Dirt 4 however is the next main installment, so I'd figure that they would plan to develop DLC for it. They may change that plan now that Dirt 4 doesn't seem to be doing as well but who knows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should learn from the sales that people preferred the experiment to their normal game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

They should learn from the sales that people preferred the experiment to their normal game.

Yeah was about to say the same. Clearly somebody at Codemasters marketing has no idea what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm probably in the minority but I liked Dirt 4 over DR :shrug:

• Locked thread