Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Positives to each. Dirt 4 is a better video game, but DR is more fun to Rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Been playing some Dirt 4 lately and it's still a fun Dirt game. I think I like Dirt 4's Sweden better than Dirt Rally's. This may or may not be mostly based on me being bad at Dirt Rally's and relatively good at Dirt 4's. I'm not finding the rest of the locales in Dirt 4 to be all that great though.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I fire up Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 whenever i can be arsed to set up my wheel, which isn't very often these days. Both are still fun, but i think DR benefits more from staying away for a while with its set stages. My experiences with Sweden is opposite yours (better in DR, worse in Dirt 4), but both are still fun.

I also played a bit of WRC7 and was pleasantly surprised. The cars have a real weight to them, and the stages are often very tight and technical. Not too bad looking either. Sound, car selection, general polish and stagenotes still leaves something to be desired though.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
I thought I knew what it meant to be alive - then I drove in Group B.

I thought it was just my terrible driving that made me crash all the time in my Peugeot, but watching Too Fast To Race divorced me from any such notion. Hell hath no fury like a poorly timed brake in a 205 T16.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
037 is bae

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Quattro 4 lyfe

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MG4 Metro get on my loving level.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

tbh it took me a while to appreciate the opel but it is also clutch:krad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Stratos maybe not the fastest but the most fun

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Zaphod42 posted:

Stratos maybe not the fastest but the most fun

Also the sexiest

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Dirt 4 now has clubs, like it should have from the start.

Anyway, anyone up for a goonclub?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Did they add any new track bits to the generator yet?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Norns posted:

Did they add any new track bits to the generator yet?

None that I've heard mentioned or seen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Adding clubs 6 months after launch is way too little too late.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Idk what is it about D4 that it just didn’t live up to the pre-release hype? Just seemed to be missing a certain charm

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Idk what is it about D4 that it just didn’t live up to the pre-release hype? Just seemed to be missing a certain charm

The procedural stage generation failed to live up to the hype by not being varied enough so the expert players quickly learnt all the pieces anyway while the more casual player (like me) misses the charm of a premade stage that can have all the extra touches a stage made of cookie cutter bits can't have. I can't speak for the handling debate as I'm not good enough at the game for it to matter to me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That about sums it up for my mind. The handling debate was the usual dumb "grr it's easier so it must be less realistic" argument that a lot of sim racers love, even though the devs were able to fully explain what they changed and how it should affect stuff. Then there was the problem of Dirt 4 not having Finland, and there not being enough Rallycross or Landrush tracks for that to be anything other than a distraction.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ah yeah previously there’s been some really rad heavily detailed stages; also long. Wasn’t there a 10 min Pike’s Peak run?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
loving dirt 3 had the Monte Carlo stages. Super awesome tracks. The myStage thing is cool but it needs to be paired with a large selection of premade tracks. The game is good but I feel a but gipped.

I missed out in dirt rally because at the time my PC was too poo poo to run it, if I love this game but I'm a bit disappointed and want more rally would it be worth picking up on sale?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I would have played more if they had just ported over the dirt rally tracks tbh

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dirt has never had enough tracks, it's always been a problem.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Dirt has never had enough tracks, it's always been a problem.

That 4 was supposed to fix with the random generation. But it felt like it had even less variety than rally once I knew all that track elements.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Norns posted:

That 4 was supposed to fix with the random generation. But it felt like it had even less variety than rally once I knew all that track elements.

It's not just the rally, I love the trophy truck/rally raid stuff as well and there were never enough tracks.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The real problem is the lack of Dakar trucks. :colbert:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jehde posted:

The real problem is the lack of Dakar trucks. :colbert:

There was a dakar rally game on pc years ago that let you do the bikes/cars/quads/trucks. it was pretty fun.

Also, big run 13e rallye on the SNES was a great game as well. you had to hire a navigator and mechanic, purchase parts to take with you on stages as replacements and could end up waiting for a recovery truck if you broke something with no parts. never managed to beat it :(

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Jesus gently caress the game went on sale for :tenbux: in a bundle with dirt rally. Guess that's the end of that

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

they aren't really updating it anymore so that's cool imo

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

AcidRonin posted:

Jesus gently caress the game went on sale for :tenbux: in a bundle with dirt rally. Guess that's the end of that

Link? :v:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Goddammit

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Steam sorry

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

I'm back to playing this after an extended period of Dirt 4'ing and goddamn it really does have a way better feel to it. I can powerslide on gravel again. I'm so happy

Also after about 20 years of unsuccessful attempts somehow I finally managed to learn to drive in cockpit cam and goddamn if it doesn't make everything feel way easier

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

is the community active at all?

last i checked it was so dead you could casually memorize the names of the people still playing

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Thief posted:

is the community active at all?

last i checked it was so dead you could casually memorize the names of the people still playing

Just looked up some stats and apparently twice as many people are playing Rally compared to 4 :v:

Which is still about 700, 800 people overall, which ain't a lot, but enough for the online event charts to feel decently full I feel. From the reception Rally got I think it might keep on being one of these games where the community's small, but somehow they just keep on playing forever - especially if someone eventually figures out how to add more stages or something.

e: o yeah also I found this rad oldschool video and I feel it's appropriate here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di_OyskxewQ

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 12, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Dirt Rally is still one of the best VR games there is, so that alone is gonna keep people playing it

Although I guess you need a wheel to really get everything out of it and not everybody who buys a VR headset is gonna buy a wheel

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm also back with Dirt Rally. Dirt 4 simply can't match throwing an Alpine A110 around (and occasionally off) Greek hairpins.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

still love the exposed fuses on the 037 :swoon:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KzM8VSH1XU

Dakar trucks. :neckbeard:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

its a bit unusual for them to make an Uncharted game with a PEGI 7 rating but i guess that is the trend with these open world mmos

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Do you do paris-dakar or Dakar south America?
They should bring back the parts system from big run 13e rallye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Codemasters are putting on a world championship in Dirt 4. Open qualifiers are ongoing. There is a offline final in GB.

https://www.dirt4game.com/esports

It has brought some players back for the qualifiers if nothing else. Looks like Xbox is significantly easier to qualify on (two from each platform qualify each week) The top time is a full minute slower on Xbox than on PC

Humbug fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 20, 2018

• Locked thread