Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ManicJason posted:

Ugh. I fired the game up for the first time in awhile last night and only got the first stage done. Oh well.

There's still 3 and a half hours!! Personally I think the first stage was the hardest. That may just be me getting used to driving without pace notes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Oh, poo poo!

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

pik_d posted:

Somewhat low turnout for the Pikes Peak event (~4 hours left), not to surprising because it's much tougher than the other events. I have to admit I had no clue that there wouldn't be pace notes when I set it up.

Anyone else want to setup the next season?

I can do the setup for the next season if you tell me what criteria you were using for picking stages, if any. I've been enjoying the setup so far.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

bsamu posted:

I can do the setup for the next season if you tell me what criteria you were using for picking stages, if any. I've been enjoying the setup so far.

Two or three events with four days for each of them, midnight to midnight, either 2 short-2 long, or 6 short stages from the same environment. Not too demonic about the rain/night stages (I went for one of each weather, rain/night only on short stages), and service areas at all the odd stages (1st, 3rd, etc).

Say something when you're done and I can give it a look to see if it looks good.

Edit: I've only made one Season, do whatever you want really, so long as it makes sense and isn't too long.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 21, 2015

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

The league is updated with a new season; the first event goes live tonight at midnight!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How do I go about participating in some rally events with other goons ?

Do I join a steam group or is there an in game thing ?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

jonathan posted:

How do I go about participating in some rally events with other goons ?

Do I join a steam group or is there an in game thing ?

Click the second link in the OP, OP

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pik_d posted:

Click the second link in the OP, OP

Oops, thanks.

Choco Happy Ending
Mar 16, 2009

Mmmmfffppphggghhg
I found out today that you don't have to actually own the car to drive it in a league event.
Nice to know that there are still people worse than me :unsmith:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I really hate this game sometimes.

I was doing the daily event, 205 T16 Evo 2 at River Severn Valley in the rain, I smack some logs, right rear goes flat and I'm sideways.

I think "OK, just one tire, and I'm 80% done, I can do this", so I try to slowly point in the right direction "right front's gone" :suicide:

pik_d fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 25, 2015

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

One thing they mentioned in the update yesterday:
"We’ve also added the ability to replace a punctured wheel. Now when you get a puncture you can bring the car to a stop and hold the repair puncture button. This will add a time penalty to your stage time but will mean that you can continue driving the stage without the hindrance."
Which will be a big help. Otherwise, if I'm at the 1st checkpoint of one of the double stages and get a flat, sometimes it's not worth finishing the stage as the car will just get more and more obnoxious to drive.

In other news, tonight's the last night for the first event of the new season, so cruise through it tonight and try not to fly off any cliffs like I did.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
also mentioned

quote:

First of all we’ve been looking to fix the stuttering that some of you have been experiencing. I get it a bit on my machine at home so I know firsthand how annoying it can be but we have come up with a solution. Replays are now going to be stored in RAM so they will no longer be claiming 1.9GB of your disc space. This eliminates any stalling that was due to disc activity. After the FIA World Rallycross pack goes live you may want to check C:\ProgramData\Codemasters\DiRT Rally\DataCache\<YOUR USER NAME>\replay folder and delete any files if they are still present.
might want to check that if you don't have a lot of disk space; empty for me but I never look at replays
also why are replays 1.9GB

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

bsamu posted:

One thing they mentioned in the update yesterday:
"We’ve also added the ability to replace a punctured wheel. Now when you get a puncture you can bring the car to a stop and hold the repair puncture button. This will add a time penalty to your stage time but will mean that you can continue driving the stage without the hindrance."
Which will be a big help. Otherwise, if I'm at the 1st checkpoint of one of the double stages and get a flat, sometimes it's not worth finishing the stage as the car will just get more and more obnoxious to drive.

In other news, tonight's the last night for the first event of the new season, so cruise through it tonight and try not to fly off any cliffs like I did.

This is good

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

also mentioned
might want to check that if you don't have a lot of disk space; empty for me but I never look at replays
also why are replays 1.9GB

They're 3D recordings, not video. I wish they'd add an option to manually save replays to disk, so you can render them later.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Did you forget again???

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

Did you forget again???
No!!! Yes :(

Whatever updates they did must have changed around the way car settings worked. I hopped into the Impreza for this event thinking, "this is my favorite car, piece of cake." Nope, not at all. hosed up pretty hard right out of the gate on the first stage, and it was all downhill from there. Managed to finally sort out the setup before the last stage, though, and gained back 14 seconds despite rolling twice. I got super lucky with each of those, though, and landed upright on the road both times. I guess the lesson from this is to double check your setup before rolling out. :downs:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

No!!! Yes :(

Whatever updates they did must have changed around the way car settings worked. I hopped into the Impreza for this event thinking, "this is my favorite car, piece of cake." Nope, not at all. hosed up pretty hard right out of the gate on the first stage, and it was all downhill from there. Managed to finally sort out the setup before the last stage, though, and gained back 14 seconds despite rolling twice. I got super lucky with each of those, though, and landed upright on the road both times. I guess the lesson from this is to double check your setup before rolling out. :downs:

This is a top top racing driver excuse right here folks. Glad to see you set a time though

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

This is a top top racing driver excuse right here folks. Glad to see you set a time though
Pro tier excuses from pro tier drivers, yes, sir.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

In other news, those kits cars are pretty zippy. When I say "zippy," I mean "fast as poo poo." :stwoon:

e:

I, uh, oops.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 26, 2015

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Look at the bright side, now you've probably shaved some 30-40 lbs off the weight!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jesus Christ I am bad at this game. I swear the car goes flying off into space at the slightest provocation and is allergic to staying on the road. Playing with a g27 and manual clutch + h shifter and you'd swear I've never been in a car in my life based on how bad I am. I simply cannot go more than 10 feet without the car wrapping around itself or launching off of something. What the gently caress am I doing so wrong? I've been playing rally games forever and my wife's first cousin is This Guy so I should get some sort of inhereted skill via marriage, right? Apparently not because while I've always done well in every other rally game ever I can't do gently caress all in this game.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

shortspecialbus posted:

Jesus Christ I am bad at this game. I swear the car goes flying off into space at the slightest provocation and is allergic to staying on the road. Playing with a g27 and manual clutch + h shifter and you'd swear I've never been in a car in my life based on how bad I am. I simply cannot go more than 10 feet without the car wrapping around itself or launching off of something. What the gently caress am I doing so wrong? I've been playing rally games forever and my wife's first cousin is This Guy so I should get some sort of inhereted skill via marriage, right? Apparently not because while I've always done well in every other rally game ever I can't do gently caress all in this game.

Brake earlier, lift if the car unsettles, stay in a higher gear, worry more about clean lines than outright speed. Brake earlier.

Edit: Brake earlier.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

pik_d posted:

Brake earlier, lift if the car unsettles, stay in a higher gear, worry more about clean lines than outright speed. Brake earlier.

The alternative FFB profile (the one in the OP is dead but links to the new one, which is at http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/impact-force-feedback.6603/ ) helps a good amount as does using a Group B 4WD car to get used to things. I actually made it through a stage. I think some of my issue is getting used to in-car camera, since for whatever reason I can't deal with external cameras with a wheel, and not being able to read distances as well as I used to when using external views and a gamepad. Braking earlier is a thing I need to get better about. These tracks are still loving brutal and I really wouldn't complain if they added an easier track for people to kinda get their feet wet if they're bad at driving games.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

shortspecialbus posted:

The alternative FFB profile (the one in the OP is dead but links to the new one, which is at http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/impact-force-feedback.6603/ ) helps a good amount as does using a Group B 4WD car to get used to things. I actually made it through a stage. I think some of my issue is getting used to in-car camera, since for whatever reason I can't deal with external cameras with a wheel, and not being able to read distances as well as I used to when using external views and a gamepad. Braking earlier is a thing I need to get better about. These tracks are still loving brutal and I really wouldn't complain if they added an easier track for people to kinda get their feet wet if they're bad at driving games.

They did, it's called Germany.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

pik_d posted:

They did, it's called Germany.

I'll try that one. I'm still getting incredibly frustrated at the lack of gravity on whatever planet this is happening. Slightly bump a cutout on the right? You're tumbling into space. Cripes.

Edit: Germany is almost too much grip, heh. I need to figure out a better place for the handbrake because I can't hit it when I'm cranking the wheel around hard which is when I need it. Hmm.

ssb fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 26, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

shortspecialbus posted:

I'll try that one. I'm still getting incredibly frustrated at the lack of gravity on whatever planet this is happening. Slightly bump a cutout on the right? You're tumbling into space. Cripes.

In a game called Dirt Rally, Germany is easy because there's no actual dirt to rally on. I find Monaco easier than the rest as well, due to being roads instead of dirt.

This may sound crazy, but Pikes Peak (the one with dirt on it) is actually somewhat "easy" once you learn the turns. There's not many ditches or random rocks to throw you.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

pik_d posted:

In a game called Dirt Rally, Germany is easy because there's no actual dirt to rally on. I find Monaco easier than the rest as well, due to being roads instead of dirt.

This may sound crazy, but Pikes Peak (the one with dirt on it) is actually somewhat "easy" once you learn the turns. There's not many ditches or random rocks to throw you.

I mean this isn't my first rally game, I'm not sure why I'm doing so loving terrible and getting so frustrated. I'll keep at it I suppose, so long as I can keep myself from throwing the wheel through the monitor the next time my car goes into a 800 spins per second barrel roll because I slightly clipped a rock.

Edit: Ok, practicing on Germany is helping me somewhat. Just took second on Germany -1 second which for me is loving solid. Thanks for the Germany recommendation to at least get the hang of braking timing. I realize it'll be different on gravel/snow but it's getting me in the right direction. No idea why I kicked rear end at Dirt2/3 and the old Colin McRae games but don't at this :shrug:

ssb fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 26, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

shortspecialbus posted:

I mean this isn't my first rally game, I'm not sure why I'm doing so loving terrible and getting so frustrated. I'll keep at it I suppose, so long as I can keep myself from throwing the wheel through the monitor the next time my car goes into a 800 spins per second barrel roll because I slightly clipped a rock.

Which car are you using? I found the 60s Mini was especially terrible at this, maybe because it's so light, maybe because it's just a really old car and just plain sucks.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

pik_d posted:

Which car are you using? I found the 60s Mini was especially terrible at this, maybe because it's so light, maybe because it's just a really old car and just plain sucks.

Right now I'm loving around with the Group B Audi 4WD in single event mode just to get the hang of things. I also edited some crap into my above post.

Edit: Ugh, I am doing better on the dirt tracks but I still am incredibly irritated with the physics and the car's aspirations of being an airplane. Still, much better overall, just tiny mistakes where I slightly go up on a berm are just launching the car something crazy.

VVVV right

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 26, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The physics do need some work; keep in mind that this game is still in development and is by no means a finished product.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

How are your Logitech Profiler and in-game wheel settings? I was going all over the place until I tuned mine (to some I read from Steam forums).

And yeah the car makes a huge difference. Try with the 2010 Fiesta, if you're still flying everywhere your settings are probably borked.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 26, 2015

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

OK a thing that helped me immensely was turning off the HUD. For whatever reason getting those stupid turn instructions off of the screen made it WORLDS easier for me to focus on the drat road and now I'm doing much better aside from the occasional flying car.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

pik_d posted:

Driving slower to maintain a good line is unironically one of the best ways to improve your times (on offroad anyway, especially Wales) and, more importantly, reliability of finishing without wrecking. However, you can also go too slow and it gets harder again (no longer hopping over small bumps that can unsettle the car) so don't get too throttle-shy.

This is especially true with Group B. You can set immaculate runs in Group B if you can bounce just right through the stage and restart for hours until you finish a run at a ridiculous pace or you can slow down, still set solid times, and do most stages first try.

shortspecialbus posted:

No idea why I kicked rear end at Dirt2/3 and the old Colin McRae games but don't at this :shrug:
Well, Dirt 1/3 (didn't play 2 personally) were a frighteningly easy arcade games to the point I couldn't even find enjoyment in them.

The old Colin McRae games had much less detailed mapping of the ground and super wide stages that made them far easier because there was a lot less trying to knock you off the stage and there was much greater margin of error when you did mess up before your radiator was learning what bark tastes like.

Also, agreeing with advice to, if you're really struggling, use the 2010's Fiesta (or a Group A car). It's probably the easiest driving car in the game (the 2010's Mini might actually be a bit easier, but it's bulkier and less agile which I don't like). Learning with a Group B is extra dangerous since most of them have way more power than necessary which means you're going faster than necessary which often means you're wrecking.

In terms of the wreck potency: I get mad occasionally when I catch a wheel on something minor and going rolling or otherwise crash. At the same time though, it's probably not that unrealistic physics-wise when I was going 80 MPH when catching said wheel.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The advice has been very helpful. All of it combined with disabling that goddamn hud and turning the instructions to early have made me finish at least top 5 if not better which is far far better than what I was doing. I no longer want to hurl the wheel out the window. That said, I do hope they make the cars stop flying around so drat much if you so much as make a tiny mistake.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Also, if it feels like your front wheels aren't responding to steering inputs, give the brakes a dab to transfer some of the car's weight to the front. You don't have to lift to do this, either. This extra grip comes in especially helpful on really squirrely high-speed segments. The speed (and thus, time) you lose from that brief braking is negligible, too.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

So I just set my paddles to be the handbrake on my G27 since I use H-Shifter and holy crap I can actually bail myself out of ridiculous turns now because I can hit the handbrake without having to try to find it on a cranked-around wheel. Is that probably the best solution? Anyone have anything better?

Edit: gently caress yeah took second in Monaco. All my earlier frustration seems so unfounded now. I'm still not any good but at least I'm not spending 1/3 of my time airborne!

ssb fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 27, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

When you're finally getting the hang of the 4WD cars, do yourself a favour and get in the Lancia Stratos to ease into RWD. :getin:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Great Joe posted:

When you're finally getting the hang of the 4WD cars, do yourself a favour and get in the Lancia Stratos to ease into RWD. :getin:

I've actually been doing career so mostly fwd and I'm just getting into the rwd ones now. Not the loving Stratos though, I don't want to throw the wheel out the window

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

shortspecialbus posted:

I've actually been doing career so mostly fwd and I'm just getting into the rwd ones now. Not the loving Stratos though, I don't want to throw the wheel out the window

The Opel Kadett is really manageable and quick for that group of cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Stratos is fine, just imagine you're riding a giant, very pissed off snake.

• Locked thread