Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

njsykora posted:

UK all format chart had Dirt 4 at #3 the week it came out, which is usually considered fairly disappointing for games with a lot of marketing push behind it like Dirt 4 had.

See I find this interesting because I literally had no idea dirt 4 was coming out even though I love ralley and the series. I'm also in the USA so it's possible they don't waste time marketing here since I don't think the series does very well here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The marketing I saw in the UK (being Codemasters' home territory) was some TV ads, Youtube ads, I didn't see them because adblock but I know there were banner ads on game sites and a lot of preview coverage. Then they also had big displays in supermarkets and game stores around here as well. They threw a lot of weight behind the game.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Wierdly it feels like a street fighter v situation. Like there should be more to come. More cars, more pre built tracks, more....more?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does Dirt 4 even have VR support? They should just dump the Dirt series because it is bad and stick with Dirt Rally.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It doesn't have VR

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
So I used to be able to play this game. I remember giving it a whirl and doing terribly at it because I was trying it out on a keyboard. Recently I wanted to give it another shot with maybe a gamepad or something (don't have a wheel and am too poor to afford one for the one or two racing games I occasionally play in a year), but the game just crashes on start. I don't even get to the main menu, or even the intro screens. I read the Steam forums about verifying the file integrity, did that, nothing changed. Anybody run into this? I don't even get an error code or anything that would point to what would be the likely culprit.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The racenet servers has been down all day, but that shouldn't stop you from launching the game, unless its trying to do some sort of verification and failing.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Been playing quite a bit - it's fun, but there have been more than a few stages when I feel like I'm having deja vu because "Hey, haven't I seen this descending right 1 turn before..." Super disconcerting that the reuse of sections is so obvious. I haven't bothered with multiplayer yet, is that very compelling? Because at this point I don't know how long racing for video game $ will carry me.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
It's a fun distraction to see how you rank against other players (Tier 3 scrub). The community events are fun, the courses are usually the most difficult thing the track generator can spit out. It's not...bad, just limited in scope by a small company with a limited budget. Rally alone can get people to buy copies, but rallycross and the stadium trucks and buggy's are fun in their own way,. Maybe a dirt x title with motocross and call it good?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does anyone consider the WRC games to be good? Every time I try a demo it seems like trash controlwise.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Laserface posted:

Does anyone consider the WRC games to be good? Every time I try a demo it seems like trash controlwise.

That's because they are. WRC games are arcade-y enough to put sim drivers off and sim-y enough to put arcade drivers off. Co-driver notes are about the same quality as dirt 4 (note this is not a ringing endorsement because dirt 4's notes are one of it's weakest points IMO) and graphics are a lot more hit and miss than either DR or D4 (which is to say some bits of the WRC games are beautiful, then other bits are just a bit average). Also, no historic series cars.

On a side note I went back to driving a R5 car after completing the historic series using a Delta S4. R5 cars feel like a casual jaunt down to the supermarket by comparison.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
WRC 6 is a fine game to get on a sale. The developers improved the game a lot from 5. 7 looks to be even better. They're doing a lot on a small budget and more than Milestone ever did with the series.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Should this game sometimes make me yell? I've never played dark souls but is this a simmaler emotion

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah that's part of it. Then you realize you should just smoke more weed and grind till you get better

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Cool rally video with the majority of the historic cars in the game, plus a load of other cool cars. I would love the Alpine A310 V6 as a H3 RWD model in the game. There is a pretty ridiculous Merc S class and almost all the generations of Audi Quattro up to the Pikes Peak hillclimb version. The end shot of a 205 T16 is really cool too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb6xglWpV6Y

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Looks like the new monthly is the same as the old one. H3 RWD in Spain. I guess the events are all auto generated, but some manual control wouldn't go amiss.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.
Kind of glad though cause I really like the R5 Turbo. I've already finished the monthly, and I think I put in a fairly good time.

It's still early and there is plenty of time for people to knock me down, but i'm happy with it for now.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Humbug posted:

Cool rally video with the majority of the historic cars in the game, plus a load of other cool cars. I would love the Alpine A310 V6 as a H3 RWD model in the game. There is a pretty ridiculous Merc S class and almost all the generations of Audi Quattro up to the Pikes Peak hillclimb version. The end shot of a 205 T16 is really cool too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb6xglWpV6Y

Awesome! I showed it to my family, my son was dying laughing when the cars slammed into stuff and just kept going.

Sadistic posted:

Kind of glad though cause I really like the R5 Turbo. I've already finished the monthly, and I think I put in a fairly good time.

It's still early and there is plenty of time for people to knock me down, but i'm happy with it for now.

You make me want to puke. I barely finished the weekly with the R5, the last stage I spent actively trying to destroy the car. Co-driver was all, "Great job, well done!"

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I think he means the Renault 5 Turbo. Agreed on the R5 cars being awful though, especially on tarmac.

Nicely done Sadistic. The Stratos in Spain is probably my favorite combination in the game, so i'm not too unhappy with a rerun either. Just finished the monthly myself, and cant be unhappy with the result. A few stage wins and no major fuckups was good enough for second for now. Consistency is so goddamn important in Spain, especially since you puncture quite easily there. Now its just waiting for the big guys to come in and decimate my times.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
Yea I mean the Renault, though I don't mind R5 cars. My biggest complaint would be that they're pretty bland, and the cars are all the same.

also thanks Humbug, I'll wait to see what yours looks like since you usually beat me.

Sadistic fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 3, 2017

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
Sorry I was half asleep still before and didn't parse it properly that you took second. Yea you beat me by a good 6 mins, but at least I beat you in yesterdays stupid truck daily :v:

I think the biggest thing holding me back at this point is my wheel which I still can't afford to replace.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Have most people moved to Dirt 4?

I'm only just getting into Dirt Rally but oh man this is the poo poo.

I'm bad but I'm getting better. Just finished my first couple stages without any car damage at all, getting some decent times.

Unfortunately I'm a bit salty because my session today ended with some kind of weird wheel error where the feedback would push the wheel all the way to the right no matter what I did, and then trying to turn the wheel off and on just made the game say "controller not detected" and fail to detect it so I had to quit out. To be fair, I think the bug happened because I went off-course and reset while the wheel was all the way to the side or something like that, so I just gotta git gud and stop crashing.

Its really incredible how different every car feels to drive, more so than any racing game I've played before. Doesn't hurt that I'm using a Fanatec wheel and a VR headset though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zaphod42 posted:

Have most people moved to Dirt 4?

I'm only just getting into Dirt Rally but oh man this is the poo poo.

I'm bad but I'm getting better. Just finished my first couple stages without any car damage at all, getting some decent times.

Unfortunately I'm a bit salty because my session today ended with some kind of weird wheel error where the feedback would push the wheel all the way to the right no matter what I did, and then trying to turn the wheel off and on just made the game say "controller not detected" and fail to detect it so I had to quit out. To be fair, I think the bug happened because I went off-course and reset while the wheel was all the way to the side or something like that, so I just gotta git gud and stop crashing.

Its really incredible how different every car feels to drive, more so than any racing game I've played before. Doesn't hurt that I'm using a Fanatec wheel and a VR headset though.

I think you were actually experiencing some steering damage from going off the course. When steering or suspension gets hosed up it can pull the wheel in a certain direction.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GutBomb posted:

I think you were actually experiencing some steering damage from going off the course. When steering or suspension gets hosed up it can pull the wheel in a certain direction.

I wasn't just pulling though, it was straight up locked completely to the left. I mean, maybe, but if the steering is THAT jacked up it should just call it and force retire because it was literally impossible to drive. I was worried I might break my wheel just trying to force it to turn any at all.

But either way, goin' off course is bad so just gotta get better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poo poo, my wheel is STILL doing it, so its not even the game at this point. Going to have to re-calibrate it or something, ugh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What wheel do you have.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2

Had to fully re-flash the firmware to get the calibration to fix, but its good now, back to normal. Should dial down the force feedback a bit, I pushed it up to 100% but I used to run it at 50-70 and I've heard that's a good idea to avoid issues.

Bought a Lancia Stratos in career mode and I'm loving how this thing handles. I have way more experience with RWD than FWD. Next I'll probably save up for the BMW, and then a Subie.

Did a bunch of stages today and I'm definitely getting much better. Managed to place at least 3rd every time, although I'm racing against CPU open noobs. Should rank up and get into the next class after this championship.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I used to run a ton of feedback but then I actually drove my real car on a track and found the 50% setting on my wheel felt more realistic.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Finally murdered a car last night. I was flying full-bore along the daily challenge (Mini in Michigan), entered a turn shallow... clank. I thought for sure I could kill the R5 in the weekly challenge last week but no joy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Did some fantastic stages in the Lancia Stratos, love that RWD. Earned enough to buy the BMW but I'm gonna stick to the Lancia until the end of this championship.

Tried moving up rallycross from the mini to the Peugeot and drat rallycross gets hard fast. I was doing okay in the mini when everybody was slow as could be, but now that we have real engines its hard to keep up. I think I like normal rally driving better anyways though.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Just picked up Dirt 4 and it's awesome with a wheel. Having a weird AI issue though in the career. After 5 stages, myself and like 5 drivers will be within 20 seconds of each other and then Steve Alverez is like 2 minutes ahead.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

marsisol posted:

Just picked up Dirt 4 and it's awesome with a wheel. Having a weird AI issue though in the career. After 5 stages, myself and like 5 drivers will be within 20 seconds of each other and then Steve Alverez is like 2 minutes ahead.

I think it's a known issue since launch that Alverez posts impossible times.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Zaphod42 posted:

Did some fantastic stages in the Lancia Stratos, love that RWD. Earned enough to buy the BMW but I'm gonna stick to the Lancia until the end of this championship.

Tried moving up rallycross from the mini to the Peugeot and drat rallycross gets hard fast. I was doing okay in the mini when everybody was slow as could be, but now that we have real engines its hard to keep up. I think I like normal rally driving better anyways though.

The AI when using the BMW is broken and posts unbeatable times. I would avoid it in career mode.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I finally bounced off That loving Rock In Spain™ https://clips.twitch.tv/ArtisticSillyClipsdadKreygasm

Just noticed I had this tagged up as DiRT Rally, was definitely on autopilot yesterday lmao

Some of the callouts in this game are hilariously bad/wrong and I Do Not Like That I Have To Memorize Them All. There's a particular Right 3 in Spain that they like to throw at the end of fast sections w/o any slowing/caution that shoots you off like a 20ft drop into some trees, it's the best :allears:

Edit: It bothers me to no loving end that it always shows the spare tire even if you have 0 spare tires set in tune. Literally Unplayable

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Heard the co-driver screw up a pace note, he was all "left 5 over bump, I... Uhhhh...." Then picked up after the missed note. Also had radio issues a week ago. Kind of cool.

That being said, I'm having way too much fun with the historic Mini. I try to drive a modern car now and I feel like I'm going 10000 mph.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wish Dirt 4 had VR support

The callouts in Rally are giving me some serious issues. Sometimes I swear he says square left when its square right which is a HUGE fuckup. Probably not but the problem is some of the callouts are given too early and others too late so its really hard to guess if he's talking about this corner or the next one. You can set "earlier" or "later" callout settings but then they're all early or all late, its not fine-tune-able. You basically just have to learn the course yourself and rely on your eyes. Not always, but for hairpins or square corners, yeah. Its really bad. He doesn't seem to adjust for your speed very well.

And the thing that kills me is the callouts create little icons on your HUD, which is perfect, but as soon as he calls out a new corner the last one disappears, even if you haven't reached it yet. That's hosed.

The need to queue the icons and only clear them out when you actually pass them.

He's also way too quiet and monotone. I had to turn voice volume to 100% and everything else to 50% to make sure I can reliably hear him over engine noise. And you'd think certain things like "caution slowing right 1 crest" would get a little more excited "CAUTION SLOWING RIGHT ONE" like, dude, let me know! When its "right 6 left 6 right 5" then okay fine, monotone is great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Turn the wheel zaphod! TIGHTENS TIGHTENS! You're not listening to my calls!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Haha, if I go rallying IRL I'd seriously be like, dude, don't be afraid to yell at me when its a hard corner! "left 5, right 6, left 6.... RIGHT ONE RIGHT ONE RIGHT ONE!" hahaha. I know, I'm bad.

The snow banks in Sweden are pretty annoying, the physics model sometimes has you just kinda push into the snow if you go too far to the side, but other times you car just completely flips into the air. Problem with having a pretty weak damage model I guess, ideally your car would just take a ding and crumple instead, maybe lose a fender.

Then again a couple of the stages in Sweden were pretty great, mostly straight so I could get up huge speed and then the few corners I could just oversteer and push hard on the gas and drift my way around.

Cars goin' sideways :cool:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really hate Sweden, but I love Finland. I love how you can dig the front wheel into the ditch on the inside of a corner and swing the car around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I really hate Sweden, but I love Finland. I love how you can dig the front wheel into the ditch on the inside of a corner and swing the car around.

Only clip I could find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2E3qZWOrNc&t=132s

Its just like my Japanese Animes! :swoon:

(Now I'm gonna have Running in the 90s stuck in my head all day)

• Locked thread