Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Germany - Tarmac roads with more grip than you could possibly use except for when you really need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

bUm posted:

So: anyone who does well on Monaco got any useful tips (or better yet an informative video) for car configuration or techniques for it?
Go balls to the wall on the ice sections. Well, maybe not quite that fast, but the AI's time for ice is always terrible, so if you drive those sections a little more aggressively you can make up a lot of time.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Looks good, man. Only thing I'd recommend is putting a service area on the first stage of each event so that people can make adjustments and do shakedowns. It doesn't do that automatically. :confused:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Monte Carlo is still tough, even with a fast as poo poo car. Still did mostly OK on Pra d'Alart, though. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7cdIuIPLDs

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Almost forgot to finish the league event, but squeaked in the last two stages at nearly the last minute! Maybe that's why I drove so fast. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3oCG3U3ccc

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

Yeah, I saw you ahead in the 2nd stage, but nothing else. Too bad sealhammer didn't do anything this time.

Also too bad the Mini sucked. I wanted to drive that but it just felt sluggish.
Legend has it that if you sacrifice four tires and say his name three times fast under a full moon, he'll appear in the night sky driving a flaming Peugeot.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

You gonna post a time this round?
Yeah, I'll try to knock 'em out when I get home.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, I'll try to knock 'em out when I get home.
Well, I made a lot of new friends out there, today. Unfortunately, most of them were rocks. :)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, poo poo!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

Did you forget again???
No!!! Yes :(

Whatever updates they did must have changed around the way car settings worked. I hopped into the Impreza for this event thinking, "this is my favorite car, piece of cake." Nope, not at all. hosed up pretty hard right out of the gate on the first stage, and it was all downhill from there. Managed to finally sort out the setup before the last stage, though, and gained back 14 seconds despite rolling twice. I got super lucky with each of those, though, and landed upright on the road both times. I guess the lesson from this is to double check your setup before rolling out. :downs:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

This is a top top racing driver excuse right here folks. Glad to see you set a time though
Pro tier excuses from pro tier drivers, yes, sir.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

In other news, those kits cars are pretty zippy. When I say "zippy," I mean "fast as poo poo." :stwoon:

e:

I, uh, oops.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 26, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The physics do need some work; keep in mind that this game is still in development and is by no means a finished product.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Also, if it feels like your front wheels aren't responding to steering inputs, give the brakes a dab to transfer some of the car's weight to the front. You don't have to lift to do this, either. This extra grip comes in especially helpful on really squirrely high-speed segments. The speed (and thus, time) you lose from that brief braking is negligible, too.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I took the Peugeot out for the league event this time. After some really awful shakedowns, I just kept telling myself that if I'd just go slow and easy I'd do fine. Five freaky fast stages later, I think I'm getting used to it, but it's still pretty scary. I usually go for the Lancia, but I'm glad I went with the Peugeot this time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4elzGZCrANM

e: Apparently my computer hiccups while recording. :(

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 3, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Schorsch posted:

Things I didn't know: The car you choose for the league event uses the upgrades earned in your championship. :doh:

Also, is anyone doing a new goon league season? I'd step in, if neccessary.

e: WRX update is live: https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4905
They have the upgrades applied, regardless of whether or not you've unlocked them!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Weird. I thought the devs stated a while back that had been changed.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

New league season is up (in about 5 minutes) with a rallycross event for each of the new locations!

Not entirely sure how that'll work (maybe just final time?), but there's only one way to find out!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, rallycross is a panic. :stonk:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I really didn't think that was going to happen. I looked at the scores beforehand and figured I could maybe beat sealhammer, because I had managed something like 4:02 or 4:03 in career. Somehow squeaked it out, though. This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

I really thought my Top Gear strategy of "Choose the car they WONT EXPECT me to choose" was going to pay off yet again.

For real I think the Opel Kadett is my favorite car in the game
The Opel Kadett is rad as hell, I was surprised. It handles just right, too.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

bUm posted:

drat. Didn't quite get a time in before the first event ended and it invalidated my time of 3:57 (doesn't show the final times anywhere I see, but, based on this comment, I assume I'd be vying for first).

Ahhh well, think I set a pretty good second event time at a tick over four minutes, but it didn't feel as strong as my Holjes runs were.

If we do another Rallycross in the future (might be irrelevant after PvP is added and we can just Rallycross with each other), can we get a harder AI setting? Dealing with lapped traffic near the end of the Final is really sketchy and that's the one it takes the time from!

That right turn before the left into the joker/not joker has put me on two wheels many times.
Yeah, it'd be easier if the AI sped up a little bit.

Speaking of speeding up, if you haven't done the second event, there's still a couple hours left! You can still make it! pik_d??

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, it's way better than the last few. Even though a little part of me thinks that the hillclimb and rallycross elements are a bit of a... distraction from good ol' stage rally, they've managed to keep them all very tight and not arcadey. They're doing a good job.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

A new league season starts at midnight! Be there or be square!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

"This is that windy woods section. I think I'm getting close to the finish. Wait, I don't recognize thi- oh, poo poo!"

*screeee!*

"Phew, that was close. I almost got killed, right there! At least the car didn't-"

*throws car off the road*

:downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxwayjV5jaQ

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

- The Subaru Impreza 2001 and Ford Focus RS Rally 2001, both forming the new 2000s vehicle class.
Unnnffff

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Yesss. More Subarus!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Push the pedal on the right and hang on tight.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

quote:

Stage distance and elevation change are now shown in the menus and loading screens
FINALLY

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It seemed to me like the rallycross cars' handling went to poo poo whenever they pushed out that big update for rallycross. They were nice and grippy like the other cars before then, but since then it's like driving on ice all of the time.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

If he's not a goon, get rid of him.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Jehde posted:

You forgot the most important part: the engine no longer automatically revs at the start. :toot:
Finally!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Haven't played in a while, but now that Sweden's out... :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRcF5FJYKyQ

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, man, the Opel Kadett owns owns owns, even without upgrades!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPOZx-58x-8

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It's official: the WRC2001 Impreza is now my favorite car. Not because I own a bugeye WRX, but because I now have the settings for it dialed in just right and it's the only car I've been able to consistently spank the Masters AI with. It just drives so well!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The penalty is 1:30, I believe.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Can't keep a Subie down!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I love driving my IRL Subaru this time of year, I just hate shoveling snow and scraping ice.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Skwee posted:

that.. might be pretty awesome
Death Race 1984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

If it ain't a Scoob, you a scrub.

• Locked thread