Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

What the hell have they done to the handling / physics in this? I quit playing back around the Germany update because it felt like all the cars had zero traction and had buttery hockey pucks for wheels. I just reinstalled it today and decided to give it another shot and it feels miles better than it used to. I actually had a blast chucking the E30 around one of the long Finland stages and was in a constant state of panic from wrestling with the wheel and trying to not launch into the trees. Seriously, I don't know what all they changed since early access in regards to the driving model but goddamn, it's way more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

An accurate representation of every time I try driving the Opel Manta :allears:

That car is a goddamn handful. I spent probably an hour or two trying to do a clean, no crash no HUD no assists run of one of the longer Finland stages from cockpit view only and I either rolled, slammed into a tree, or did both every. Single. Time. And i'm probably gonna spend a few hours trying again tomorrow because goddamnit, if Ari Vatanen can tame this car then so can I.

Also, this game will probably result in me wearing out my G27 way too fast from the constant clutching, shifting, and maniacally sawing the wheel while I try to keep the Manta pointed down the road but I don't care, it's so worth it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

bUm posted:

:laugh:

Wait till you try the Lancia 037 if you think the Opel is the tough one from Group B RWD. :v:

I'm not crazy enough to mess with that one. Not yet, anyways :v:

Plus, i'm just really partial to the Manta. I love how it looks, sounds, and handles. It's a total blast.

Also, I really hope they keep adding awesome new locales and stages. I'd love to see them recreate Rally Azores, Canberra, or the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0oImU9YJm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxiyERUauwQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gl8xb2FOM4

Admittedly, i'm a bit biased about the 100 Acre Wood because that one is fairly close to me :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The endurance aspect is what's currently killing me. I've had amazing runs ruined by one tiny little slip up, all because I lost focus and clipped a ditch, or didn't slow down enough, or just plain forgot how sharp a corner was. It's so drat brutal, especially when you've been doing flawless the entire stage :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

L_Harrison posted:

Xbone: the console for scrubs.

Good to see the tradition of you being ungodly quick and dominating everyone hasn't changed since I played Forza 4 with you :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm still voting for Rally Azores because racing on the rim of a loving volcano :black101:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Jehde posted:

Safari Rally.

Oh sweet jesus yes. Especially if they add a Porsche 911 or 959 to go along with it :flashfap:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Since you guys love the Alpine A110, have a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-EUZ2cLN90

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

No HUD crew represent. Gotta go for maximum realism and maximum terror :whatup:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Honestly, my biggest gripe so far is that I absolutely despise the R2 cars. I just completed the Dirtfish Graduation rally event and I was cursing that little Opel the entire time because I cannot stand how it and the Fiesta handle with their horrible, horrible tendency to understeer and snap straight at any given moment :argh:

Other than that, I'm really digging DiRT 4 so far. Love the presentation, love the way it feels and sounds, and the little touches like the quadcopters hovering over the track are absolutely great. As soon as I can afford a Group A car I don't think i'll have another bad thing to say about this game :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYbUv2Lopm8

Foggy conditions in this game are so crazy to race in. Also, forgive the music, I forgot that by default it's enabled in replays :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Jesus christ, the 2001 Impreza is a bit of a monster. I won one from one of the early rally championships and it's just absolutely annihilating the Up to 2000cc class races. It almost feels like I don't even have to try when i'm driving this thing, it just rips :h:

Coming from my Group A Evo VI and my NR4 Impreza, it's like a whole different league of fast.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

L_Harrison posted:

I have noticed that if you race in a Pro Tour event with your own car, each race counts as a championship and subtracts from your contracts.

It does this in Free Play as well. It's super lovely.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

500MB patch today that adds support for processors with 8+ cores. And... that's it :v:

I wish they'd do something about their patching system. Having to have 40GB free for a 500MB patch is a bit ridiculous.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Humbug posted:

I wonder if the game is doing as well as they hoped. I never saw it in the top seller list on Steam, and it has less than 50 000 owners on steamspy, which doesn't seem like a lot for a main title. I expect it has done better than Dirt Rally on consoles, but i guess Dirt 4 had a much higher budget. Has all the simspergs scared people off?

I wouldn't say scared people off, but there's a reason I haven't mentioned I use the Gamer handling mode :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I honestly enjoy it solely because it makes the game feel more like DiRT 3 for me, in that I can careen through forests at top speed and not die. I fully admit it's arcadey as hell in terms of how grippy the cars are, but man it's fun :v:

Also, gonna crosspost this from the Awesome AI thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-4j6mPkAYM

There's a really ridiculous cut towards the end, you guys will love it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Theris posted:

I know lots of simspergs will insist otherwise, but cars actually having grip isn't necessarily unrealistic. I think my favorite example is the iracing Skip Barber car: Every revision of the tire model has made it grippier in general, and more stable/less prone to off-throttle oversteer specifically. Every time you get people freaking out about how it's been ruined and it's just too easy to drive now and it's so unrealistic... completely ignoring people who have driven the real car posting about how it still isn't as stable as the real car. (Though I think the most recent update is pretty close)

vvvv: The cars used in top level motorsport are made to be as fast as possible within the rules of the series they're used in. Manufacturers don't intentionally make them difficult to drive, but they don't put much effort into making them easy to drive, either. (With the notable exception of GT3 cars, which are made for non-professional "gentlemen drivers" and even then are only easy to drive compared to other top level cars.) My point was just that the idea lots of hardcore sim drivers seem to have where a sim is only realistic if the cars feel like a greased pig on a skating rink is wrong.

Fair point. I remember when DR first came out I was complaining about the grip levels being too low and arguing that if my 2 ton, rear wheel drive DD could handle dirt and gravel roads just fine at speed using nothing but a set of Falken all seasons in real life, there's literally zero reason why purpose built rally cars should be sliding off at the same speeds or lower with actual gravel tires in what is supposed to be a racing sim :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I don't think they ever released any actual DLC for Dirt Rally either, did they? The last Dirt game they actually really added lots of content to post release was Dirt 3, if i remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm probably in the minority but I liked Dirt 4 over DR :shrug:

• Locked thread