Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, don't be afraid to just fill every mechanic slot you have with the 32k+ credit guys, you'll realise just how cheap they are when you're past Clubman.

Also, as soon as you can, skip the '70s and '80s cars, go straight for the Type B 4WD cars. They're so much easier and let you focus on learning lines rather than having to fight the back end constantly nudging ahead. The '60s Austin Mini is a great car for learning the ropes, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bUm posted:

10/10; would not recommend taking an unupgraded Group B RWD on Germany. I was getting better at managing it later in the runs though, maybe it'll click for me today when I'm fresh (although I'm very confident that I could tune away the instability if I had advanced tuning unlocked).
It's not that hard, you just give yourself more time to ease the car's weight off the rear. It's amazing what the 037 will give you if you just give it a bit of brake while keeping the throttle at around 50% or so in a corner.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Good, now record yourself getting through Monte Carlo in a Lancia 037 or Ford Sierra.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh, we're wishing now?

I want Tomcats and Formula Offroad.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh, and I also want Finnish folk racing.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

osker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IZ_TEzg7M

Edit: I always recommend people listen to Royal John's opinions on realism starting at 27:00 ish. It shits all over AC/PCars/GT etc.
I've been subbed to this channel for about a year now. I love his accent, though I do wonder how much of it is put on.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I had a crash on this run so I bet I could shave at least 5 seconds off this time. How come are you guys getting such bad times on this stage? :smug:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bUm posted:

AI wrecking in Group B RWD seems pretty common.
Well, it was the most fatal type of rally car.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

When you're finally getting the hang of the 4WD cars, do yourself a favour and get in the Lancia Stratos to ease into RWD. :getin:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

So I decided to stop being a baby and try the Stratos instead of the opel and Uh it's way more fun and I'm better with it. Stop scaring people away from it, it is the best car.
The Stratos owns and more people should use it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Maybe stop wrecking your car, dude.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Just picked this up today and holy poo poo is it fun.

That console inspired UI, though :mediocre:
I like the UI.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

One thing I like about the upgrades is that they help you relax when you're just easing into a new car. :cool::coffee:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hey uh, I wanna know if the overlay on this recording looks alright and you seem like the people to ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rear end-u91TNhM

Thoughts? I'm thinking of making the triggers bigger, face buttons smaller and putting the whole thing on the left where it won't get in the way of the accelerometer.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:smug:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, you're going to have to try to get me out of last

But at least I finished

rallyequattro.wav

yeah, I get that it was the first of its kind, won the WRC the year of its introduction, yady yada, it's not fun to drive :(

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Hey at least I'm not in last place anymore. Thanks guys.

And if anyone else is all about those time comparisons like I am, feel free to add me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/marchidian/
I added you

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This is the first time I've fiddled with settings. I immediately improved my previous best by 13 seconds on my first attempt, and then by a further 17 seconds for that attempt.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Skwee posted:

i really dislike the amount of jumps at some locations where the calls are just wrong for them. "Crest jump maybe" and suddenly I am in the air for 30 feet. Or even just "crest" and suddenly in the air for whatever distance.
left four, bump, into
*bump*
right three
*understeer off the edge*
tightens

I've been stuck in Greece trying to navigate the Audi Rallye through it for a month now and it's downright sadistic.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81asIARaZrQ

I hate this Audi so much and I hate "M. Blanco" even more for posting a top-100 worldwide time in a long stage.

It took me way too long to beat that bot.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

FancyMike posted:

The Audi is poo poo garbage

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I bought the Quattro and I've regretted it for months since. When I finish that championship I'm never touching it again.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bUm posted:

FYI: you can switch cars between events so you only need to finish the in-progress event. Press the button to "Save and Exit" when you finish the event and, when you go to resume it, it lets you pick a different car in the same class.
Thank you. Thank you so much.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

Upgraded to a GTX 970 and this game looks great when cranked to Ultra.
I really wish this wasn't necessary. Performance jumps so far between the different environments.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

It's not necessary for this game at all. But this game does look good.
Let me tell you, my game goes from 220 FPS in Wales to 30 FPS in Greece all because of putting Trees on Medium.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Geuffron Forest. Right 6, left 6, into bumps

right 4.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pro tip: Do play Grid 2 because it owns bones.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

:stonk:

Uh, no thanks. I like Dirt Rally because it has nothing to do with regular Dirt aside from the name, and I hope they're kept as far from each other as possible. Sure, they can try to cater to both the sim audience and the more casual arcade-style racing crowd, but that is usually a really bad idea and ends up pleasing nobody. Just keep Dirt 4 as the more accessible general off-road/X-Games/Ken Block/YEAH BRO SICK JUMPS game and keep Dirt Rally as a separate product
I went into Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 looking for an arcade racing game and I came out wanting to play Sega Rally Revo instead. They're bad at being arcade games.

edit: Toybox Turbos and Grid 2, on the other hand are pretty good at being arcade games.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 13, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Colour me hyped for the Alpine A110, btw. A 1960s-tier rear engined car just sounds hilarious to drive.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

njsykora posted:

Handbrake the living poo poo out of it. You have to swing that back end like a baseball bat.
This is good advice

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

My favourite part of how this game penalises you is that a flat tire is worth at least 6 human lives.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hi. I made a thread in LP for people who are super new to this game. Like, really really new to it, because I felt that Dirt Rally doesn't do a good enough job explaining itself to new players. So, this is me trying to bridge that gap. I've already got the next episode lined up, but if you have any suggestions on topics or cars to cover, shoot.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Skwee posted:

You should explain that the lancia delta S4 has both a supercharger and a turbercharger. It's pretty important information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeRTQJOzwj4
I am planning on doing an update on proper use of the clutch, and a car with lots of lag would be perfect for that...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Them working on that poo poo only makes sense when they're still doing improvements for the console version.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Not sure if they mentioned this in the patch notes, but they doubled the tyre durability.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

They handle that in two different stats. One for tyres getting punctured and another for tyres getting blown. Thing is, harsh landings could do either depending on a whole number of random factors, so it wasn't all that realistic.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hi. I missed camera chat and I just wanna say I use the chase cam and a controller.

I regularly place 400th or so in the dailies, sometimes I get placed in the double digits.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, I've no idea why that happens.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, it's in one of the Germany stages. Pacenotes are all recorded on a per-stage basis so they can do one-off poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Triple A posted:

How expensive is it to license Porsche these days? I think having Mazda and Nissan in the mix would be easier to work with than those krauts.

Oh, it's dirt cheap. See, first you talk to Porsche and they laugh in your face before giving you a flat "no" and then you go next door to the RUF offices and they'll kit you out.

• Locked thread