Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
Germany having grip is a dangerous myth to perpetuate since you're constantly in an off-camber or downhill turn. It's too tempting to just stand on the throttle and fly into a bush when the track disappears out from under you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
I finished in the top 50 or something in the Owner's Club for the 205 T16 yesterday and I have no idea how. And the top dude was separated from the tenth dude by something ridiculous like 12 seconds. I really want to see how these guys play.

Unfortunately, my times disappeared from the last league event. Oh well, time to start from the bottom :getin:

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 5, 2015

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

bUm posted:

So: anyone who does well on Monaco got any useful tips (or better yet an informative video) for car configuration or techniques for it?

I tried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOBQ_DWz-Y

I'll go back and try to explain ice sections again when talking doesn't cause me to lose focus and drive all retarded.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

bUm posted:

Thanks.

Yeah, for quite awhile after getting into Dirt Rally I opted to listen to music without lyrics because words were throwing my ability to concentrate; talking/listening to friends while playing is definitely still distracting, but considerably less so than it was when I was worse.

I can listen to stuff with lyrics, but it can't be something too involved or it distracts me. I've found chillstep, folk music, and classical work really well for me.

quote:

Besides my taking hairpins more aggressively that is easily remedied, I think I'm fairly close to parity with what you were doing for the road sections (albeit a little less composed, but looks like you're using a wheel which helps in that category).

The ice definitely blew me away; are you handbraking at all to get it to turn in so well for the tighter icy turns or is that just brakes and maintaining constant gas or brake to keep weight shifting to get it to come around so quick? I feel like I always end up flat in icy sections (glancing at the steam guides, I think I might be setting my suspension too stiff so weight isn't transferring enough for ice driving) where the car ends up really unresponsive to steering (usually going straight, not sideways though like you mention briefly) until I slow down a lot or get handbrake happy which is usually pretty risky.

I'm actually using a 360 controller with a thumbstick extension. I've been doing it since Forza 4.

I use handbrake pretty liberally when I'm just trying to get the rear out in a corner. Just a quick dab to kick it out on corner entry, then more if I'm missing the apex I want. A lot of what I'm doing is just staying on the gas at those high revs and pointing the front wheels where I want the car to go at various spots in the turn. In a 4WD, depending on how the torque splitter is set up, the front wheels are gonna be doing a lot of pulling, so you can just stand on the gas and rely on the wheels to steer. Exiting the turn probably gives me the hardest time, since if you're going too fast, you'll have to overcompensate by keeping your nose pointed inside to avoid running into the wall on the outside of the turn -- doing that, though, means that you have to snap back forward pretty violently and risk spinning the car. This is a lot more likely on something like the 205, which has a pretty significant rearward bias on the splitter w/ the default setup, as opposed to the Delta, which is more balanced.

Never use your regular brakes in the middle of a turn on ice if you need to lose the understeer -- you'll actually induce more understeer this way. Alternate some stabs on the throttle and use of the handbrake to get that rear end out. Otherwise, if you're looking for perfect entry, come in slow, give the steering a good flick from the outside to the inside, dab the handbrake, and feather that throttle as needed. You'll get a feel for it eventually.

If you feel like the car is too flat or unresponsive in the middle of a turn, it's because it's settled. Shift down and spin those tires if you have to. And like I said in the video, it's easier to approach the turn slowly and get more aggressive as you feel out the behavior of the car.

Also, if you haven't already: turn off the assists.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Yeah some of the default car setups are just unavoidably trash. The Impreza setup for Greece had me flying off cliffs regularly because I constantly expected more oversteer than it wanted to give me.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
So does anyone think there's any chance Codemasters is going to try making some longer (25+ km) stages or are we basically boned as far as crazy realistic stage lengths. I really would like to see stages long enough that I can't just memorize them.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Codemasters should really get on point and figure out how to make low-quality rain particles that don't drop you by 40 fps. I'm real tired of crashing out because I can't figure out how to drive a slideshow.

Also manual wipers. The number of times I've had wipers randomly turn on during dry stages right as I'm approaching a corner, blocking my vision, is maddening.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
The Stratos is objectively the best car in the game, alongside the 037.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
The kit cars are hot garbage, holy gently caress. I wonder if Codies can figure out how to implement front-wheel drive without it being so incredibly awful.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

bsamu posted:

What's so bad about the implementation? The feedback or how they actually drive?

The way they drive. After getting so used to driving RWD, that exaggerated power-lift oversteer is maddening.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, I really didn't think that was going to happen. I looked at the scores beforehand and figured I could maybe beat sealhammer, because I had managed something like 4:02 or 4:03 in career. Somehow squeaked it out, though. This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

I was hoping someone would beat my time considering two of the 6 laps (including the first) I rolled the Polo on its side in the second corner next to the joker. The physics on that car are really strange.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

safari rally with realistic WRC-era length stages, please

Really just this. If nothing else, realistic WRC stage length.

And the loving cooperative play.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Tatrakrad posted:

I was hoping that Codemasters, at least for the purposes of multiplayer, would let you drive the other car classes in rallycross. Do people not want to have Kadett v Stratos thunderdomes?

The FIA is dumb.

It's almost like licensing deals don't exist to make good games

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
OK, who wants to be my Julien Ingrassia when the co-op patch drops?

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Qmass posted:

Somehow just did 3:11 on bidno moorland in the fiesta, taking 103rd place... which shocked the poo poo out of me. Playing with game pad, I RARELY do a stage without crashing and was just taking it easy (I thought) trying to make cash to buy the new wrx. This game continues to baffle me :P

I always get giddy when people post their times like this, gives me something to race against instead of just some random duder's time. Went and did this on a whim, same stage & car and pulled a 3:06.xx. Couldn't figure out how to pull up the global leaderboard though and didn't know there's no leaderboard on the game's website (THERE SHOULD BE) so I don't know where it falls in the ranks. If you see a "Col. Roy Campbell" from USA in there, it's probably me. I use a gamepad, too, so know that you can go much, much faster with it.

Also w/r/t assists chat: turn off everything, manual shift, learn to drive the car like a big boy. Don't cheat yourself and your mind's expectations by getting used to driving with TCS/ECS and then turning them off. Get used to what it should feel like at the end, from the beginning, and you'll waste less time and get fast, faster. I personally can't play most racing games with assists because they are so insanely intrusive and obstructive to the inputs I make and that fucks with my expectations.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2fPR70ors

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Qmass posted:

Im sure you are better at the game than me but I was thinking while watching, I wonder if the throttle when you landed made you oversteer more + rebound harder from more weight going back and therefor more likely to roll. I feel like I would have tried handbrake there and maybe just skidded towards trees on the outside. I've found that handbraking weirdly catches a lot of oversteers, which seems counter-intuitive? I certainly wouldn't have gone for my handbrake on the road IRL...

I have spun out so many times on finland because of the unsettling on the crest before a turning crest thing. Sometimes it makes me wish the bloody fins would shell out for a couple of bulldozers to go around flattening their rural roads out.

What actually happened is that I was nosed over + trying to turn while landing, thus causing the front tires to dig in. The new tire model lets that happen a lot, it's pretty fun.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Skwee posted:

Cool, thanks. I got 8th place so far. Holy poo poo, having never driven the 80s cars, wow i was all over the drat place. Maybe i should have turned on some assists..

nooOOOOOO

I've said it before and I'll say it again: don't use any loving assists. Just slow the poo poo down and drive at a pace that lets you control the car. Then speed it up as you get comfortable and understand what the car is doing to try and kill you, and how to use it to your advantage.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

I was using a 360 controller and I could not control the Cosworth worth a drat

sounds like your settings are fine to me :thumbsup:

e: because the cosworth's default setup is literal trash, you see

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 26, 2015

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

bsamu posted:

No, plenty of people use it. All it does is do more finetuned adjustment of the FFB settings.

Also, in this week's league thing: jesus sealhammer, that was a close finish.

I was eighteen seconds down after the first stage because I flew off the track in the first corner and planted my hood in a tree (I haven't done the Stratos since the update) and six seconds up before the last stage, then burned that lead by breaking late on every hairpin and having to do a sick e-turn and stripping all the rubber off my tires in first gear while traveling backwards.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

njsykora posted:

Option to manually control headlights and wipers.

there is a god

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Skwee posted:

I have a joystick, but it wouldn't be as solidly planted. I also don't mind paddle shifters

e: are the calls on Finland way too loving early compared to other locations when using the same call timing, or is it just me?

Also anyone want to add me so I can see how bad I am with friend's comparison? http://steamcommunity.com/id/SkweeVariety

You're probably just not going fast enough, hth

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
me in every corner driving group b

https://youtu.be/V0kH3LAp-Gw

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Do the wipers actually do anything outside of rainy stages and the pits in Wales? I've noticed my windscreen getting muddy occasionally, but I'm usually too busy looking at the road to notice any difference after the wipers give a quick swipe.

Sometimes you'll be going like 110 in twisties and your wipers will sllllllooooowly pan across the windscreen and you'll wipe the gently caress out cuz you can't see where you're going

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
I'm starting to think I have an affinity for the least competitive (least-driven) vehicles, because there is no way that the lap I put down for this was fast.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

bUm posted:

Didn't all the times for Group A and B just get reset due to the patch making them have v2 physics models? Seems extra plausible given Great Joe on there showing 64th with a time of 10 minutes.

If anything, I'd assume the Lancia is the most popular Group A based on Weeklies.

well this makes a lot more sense then:

I will find this Man Who is Faster Than Me, and kill him.

also here's a thing http://gfycat.com/DistortedPointedFantail

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 4, 2015

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Skwee posted:

I am doing the current rally and I don't understand how people are getting over a minute on me. Like I am not going into trees or stopping my car, I am driving normally and fairly consistently and I have +1 minute on stage one and stage two.

Sure I am not at all comfortable with the car since I have never driven it before, but I don't think I am going THAT slow..

driving normally is not driving fast hth

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
I have literally never seen an animal in this game. Do I need to up my crowd quality settings or something like that?

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

njsykora posted:

Road Bookapalooza, here's the important bits.

- Hillclimb championships are being restructured for 1.0 to be longer at Elite and Masters levels. The days of grinding short runs for massive profit are coming to an end.
- Custom championships are being fixed so they payout the proper amount.
- Engineer perks are being reworked too, the more cars a perk covers the more expensive it'll be. So a perk that covers 1 car will be cheaper than a perk that covers an entire class. Expect the global 4WD perk to be ungodly expensive.
- 1.0 is very not far off, within the next 2 weeks.

Also the new league season is running, you have until Tuesday night to get your runs in.

Why would they change the perks in that way instead of making them, you know, useful? I've never put a single perk on any of my engineers because it's just a waste of money.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

That's a very ordinary cover. I do wish they would have tried to evoke the same feeling in the cover art as they did with some of the achievement names. The quiet and anticipation. The pressure comes from the intangible, but weightily passage of time. The dance of the car through the hairpins. The curls of dust swirling in the breeze.

There's just something about people waxing poetic about cars.

The way they wrote the achievements kind of reminds me of the narrative writing from the Halo games. Laconic, using only the most appropriate words.

The ideal rally game cover is the gratuitous face close-up of a driver as he sits, waiting, in his car. His brow sweats furiously, eyes focused infinitely far ahead like a man reliving his Vietnam days. He anticipates the ride. He knows he will dig in on a landing and barrel roll at 115 miles per hour, his wheeled steed careening sidelong into the spectators lining the stage as its structure and his championship aspirations alike crumple and implode.

I think I'm burnt out on this game right now. The small stage selection has lost its novelty and right now I'm just kind of chilling out waiting for Sweden and the WRC Polo before I keep playing. Also feeling bummed out knowing that sought-after functions that would really blow open up replay value like custom/rng tracks aren't going to happen.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

• Drive the Stratos.

No, drive the 037

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8J7Bt32Ak

skip to 3:02 for more Lancia aerobatics

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

Goddamn do I hate Finland. Nothing but jumps and 100% light gravel with deep ruts on the sides of the road. 8 right rear punctures. EIGHT. THERE WERE SIX STAGES. EIGHT RIGHT REAR PUNCTURES. RIGHT REAR IS GONE. RIGHT. REAR. IS. GONE.

Did you do the weekly? This marked the first time I almost destroyed a car in this game. Twice punctured tires landing from jumps, again from sidewalling a kevlar bush, and did the entire last 1.5 stages with 0 radiator and my engine making a progressively sinister hissing noise I could only assume means "preparing to commit suicide." I still drove it to the wall on that last stage though because #YORO.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
maybe don't leave the league public?

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

I drove the modern Citroen last night on the daily and man that thing is great to drive. Sticks to the road like glue.

I think I'm too used to Group B.

Felt the exact opposite to me. Slinky suspension made getting the power down in the corners loving impossible. The default setup is trash

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
The Polo is full :jeb: and it is amazing. Slower than the Fiesta, but amazing.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

njsykora posted:

I liked it driving it for the daily, but I still prefer the Hyundai. Also as everyone knows, F2 cars wreck poo poo on tarmac. Without the minor mistake at the end there I could've hit top 3 against the masters AI.

The Manta with no upgrades can beat those top times by 13 seconds. F2 kit cars are trash.

e: Checking again, actually 12.5 seconds.

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 9, 2015

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Renounced posted:

The sensitivity is how fast it responds to your input, but not how far it turns the wheel. Linearity is how far the wheel turns (lower is better, up to a point). It seems to try to average out the last few moments of input, so small adjustments can get ignored. Which is really a problem on quick stages adjusting over small bumps, because it you have the linearity really high, your input will be ignored completely.

I have Sensitivity at 75 and Linearity at 20 for the Sport Quattro.

sens at 100 linearity at whichever end is direct input, get a thumbstick extension, and you're gucci

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Linnaeus posted:

Any tips for sharp turns with the mini cooper?

Yeah -- buy the Stratos.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Still no word on co-op, still not caring about this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Norns posted:

Cool. You're missing out on a great game waiting for a feature that wouldn't be widely used.

I'm not really missing out on anything since I've played the same tracks two dozen times apiece in every car and the game is now as stale and boring as it will get without throwing in a mechanic that makes things more dynamic :shrug:

• Locked thread