Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Wegee posted:

Absolutely adore this game.

Edit: As someone who sucks, does anyone who's very experienced with the game mind writing down which cars to use in each class for those of us who haven't invested enough time to really get a feel for each one?
It is worthy of adoration.

I tried each one I was considering buying in career in a Custom Event first (same stage, see what felt good and what put down better times) and would recommend that. Failing that, the most HP per kg is usually a strong bet for it being strong in class (unless it's really close to others, in which case you'll need to flip a coin or test drive to see which feels better to you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

ManicJason posted:

I just had a personal first while doing the goon league in the group B car. I was in a skid at full lock, then went to spin the wheel back around to center as things got back under control.

My hand slipped off the wheel, and I punched myself in the balls. Hard.
Goon League: out of curiosity since I haven't played in awhile, did they make it no longer count down stages on your Career crews' contracts when doing online leagues yet? Seemed kind of dumb to cost career-mode money doing something that has no potential to yield money.

Rest: :ohdear:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

I think any stage you run in any mode will run down your crew contracts, since miles driven outside career also go towards unlocking their perk slots I think.
Weak, especially since I unlocked the slots with the ~300,000 credits it took before they made the change to unlock them based on distance driven. :smith:

Kind of hope they change that at some point and just make league options for level of crews given to people (and, thereby, it doesn't charge them since everyone gets the same crew that is separate from career) rather than using the career-mode crew. Custom Events I've done for testing don't seem to count them down, but maybe that's because I tend to test on a single stage event that has no repair sessions.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Finally fired up Dirt Rally again for the first time in a month and a half and figured I'd finish out my current 1980's championship. Breezed through Wales to first by almost a minute (all that PCars seems to have kept my rally skills sharp). The last event is Monaco and I squeezed out a quarter second lead on the first stage, but on the second stage the AI (Elite) is murdering me. I tried it a few times and was consistently down by ~10 seconds by the halfway point (a short stage). When I screwed up in the last split just before the finish it seems like part of it is just bad AI split time balancing because I was closing the gap to only ~5 seconds loss for the stage, but I also struggled in the past (my Group B Master's where I got 1st place overall I ended up 2nd place on Monaco and during the daily events I tend to be lower, percentage-wise, on the totem pole on Monaco) so I'm pretty confident I have significant room for improvement on Monaco (haven't done Germany yet to see if it's something amiss with my tarmac game in general or just Monaco).

So: anyone who does well on Monaco got any useful tips (or better yet an informative video) for car configuration or techniques for it?

Parker Lewis posted:

I know it's a 10+ year old point of comparison now but could DIRT Rally be considered a modern equivalent to the RalliSport games? Based on the comments in the OP it sounds like DIRT Rally leans more to the simulation side of things.
Never played RalliSport, but, yes, Dirt Rally is a simulation game.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Go balls to the wall on the ice sections. Well, maybe not quite that fast, but the AI's time for ice is always terrible, so if you drive those sections a little more aggressively you can make up a lot of time.
I finished out the rally last night and I'm pretty sure it's just poorly done AI timings. Finished the stage I was getting wrecked on and lost by 10 seconds. Another short stage a couple after the one I got wrecked, I picked up 14 seconds. Then another one with a still solid run I lost 10 seconds again. Also: one of the longer stages included the first bad stage in full and at the halfway point (same start point) I was three seconds ahead at about the same point I'd been 10 seconds behind. I've determined there's simply no way with me having similarly good runs for there to be nearly 30 seconds of timing variation on short stages (sub-4 minute) making any sense at all.

The AI timings do seem generally worse on ascent ice sections, but I generally lost time to AI on descent ice sections (which seem annoyingly difficult because the car [BMW E30] either understeers for days or almost spins out entirely with no in between on downhill icy areas... one would think getting the back end out on a RWD car on ice would be easy, but apparently not).

Managed to net first by three seconds (with third place a solid 3 minutes back) thanks to holding a steady few second gain on all the stages that weren't landslides one way or the other.

Frankston posted:

How do the modern 2010 cars handle? I'm using the Subaru at the moment and I like it a lot. 4WD is awesome.
Finally bought the Fiesta after finishing the Monte Carlo above and all I can say is wow; I've only driven a single stage so far, but it is by far the most composed vehicle I've yet driven in Dirt Rally. If there was an easy mode in this game, it seems like it's hiding behind a 650,000 credit price tag. It even feels solid in the power category despite, unupgraded, sitting at 253 HP; it easily outshines my upgraded Group A Lancia and will only get better.

In other news, a little disappointed to see they decided to implement the new rally as just another event that features every single stage (back to Master again after intentionally dropping back to Pro for shorter events/to upgrade fresh vehicles). I wish they'd used the fact that they have more stages and just intermingled them to make championships more like the monthly events since now a Master Championship (vehicle locked) is about four hours (not including potential restarts), a sizable step up from the already lengthy three hours.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

I tried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOBQ_DWz-Y

I'll go back and try to explain ice sections again when talking doesn't cause me to lose focus and drive all retarded.
Thanks.

Yeah, for quite awhile after getting into Dirt Rally I opted to listen to music without lyrics because words were throwing my ability to concentrate; talking/listening to friends while playing is definitely still distracting, but considerably less so than it was when I was worse.

Besides my taking hairpins more aggressively that is easily remedied, I think I'm fairly close to parity with what you were doing for the road sections (albeit a little less composed, but looks like you're using a wheel which helps in that category).

The ice definitely blew me away; are you handbraking at all to get it to turn in so well for the tighter icy turns or is that just brakes and maintaining constant gas or brake to keep weight shifting to get it to come around so quick? I feel like I always end up flat in icy sections (glancing at the steam guides, I think I might be setting my suspension too stiff so weight isn't transferring enough for ice driving) where the car ends up really unresponsive to steering (usually going straight, not sideways though like you mention briefly) until I slow down a lot or get handbrake happy which is usually pretty risky.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

This is a lot more likely on something like the 205, which has a pretty significant rearward bias on the splitter w/ the default setup, as opposed to the Delta, which is more balanced.

Never use your regular brakes in the middle of a turn on ice if you need to lose the understeer -- you'll actually induce more understeer this way. Alternate some stabs on the throttle and use of the handbrake to get that rear end out. Otherwise, if you're looking for perfect entry, come in slow, give the steering a good flick from the outside to the inside, dab the handbrake, and feather that throttle as needed. You'll get a feel for it eventually.

If you feel like the car is too flat or unresponsive in the middle of a turn, it's because it's settled. Shift down and spin those tires if you have to. And like I said in the video, it's easier to approach the turn slowly and get more aggressive as you feel out the behavior of the car.

Also, if you haven't already: turn off the assists.
Yeah, I noticed that about the 205. It was like: what's the point of driving a 4WD if it's putting all the power to the rear anyway? I found I performed better after making it 50/50 power distribution.

Looks like Monaco is the last of the four for my current Championship so I'll have to try improving my ice technique when I get there. Finally got to Germany and it seems pretty fantastic so far: cutting a fine line between maintaining huge speed and rocky death from losing control due to high speeds.

Only assists (that affect driving characteristics) I have on are ABS and Semi-Auto gearing. Someday I'll work on trying to transition to manually gearing, but it seems like it'll be a pain trying to juggle for awhile learning whilst maintaining steering/throttle/brake precision on a controller (probably should transition to manual in PCars before this... PCars is much tamer and repetitive, even if the controller control isn't as good).

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Looks good, man. Only thing I'd recommend is putting a service area on the first stage of each event so that people can make adjustments and do shakedowns. It doesn't do that automatically. :confused:
Maybe it isn't automatic so you can make it so everyone is using the default car setup and it's a level playing field?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Well, managed to finish out my Master Championship finishing Germany and doing Monaco. Managed to squeeze out first on Germany (so intense! this is what a good tarmac rally races like, Monaco :v:) after starting it out in 3rd and slowly working my way to first, despite still only have half the upgrades for the Fiesta. The second to last stage the second place AI, a mere second back, wrecked though so the last stage was basically a formality with the new second place being 30 seconds back. Unfortunately, even with a full-up 85 rated crew, I ended the rally with some damage. Despite it only being some damage (nothing could've been too low; I was still getting everything to 96% or higher on last repair), apparently left over repairs are extremely expensive on 2010's because they set me back 127,000 credits (AKA: over half my earnings). :wtc:

Then I went on to Monaco pumped to try out the ice driving tips (and almost fully upgraded, a mere 12 HP shy finally) and things went exceptionally poorly. :smith: I got murdered so hard I was sitting in 5th after a handful of stages (the lowest I'd been, even including Wales when the car was bone stock). That was even after tuning a bit the first stage which I then decided to swap back to the Default and found myself getting wrecked substantially harder (losing about double the time per sector... which is lot given I was consistently running 10 seconds off first per stage). After that I did the ultimate move to getting better times (in addition to sticking to my way better than Default setup): turned off the timings so I wasn't distracted by worrying about how well I was doing. This helped considerably and I even started getting green sectors here and there (still leave the stage progress up so I make sure to be careful near the end) in addition to managing first on one stage, by four seconds no less.

Still only managed third by the end though which put me in 2nd for the whole Championship with 2nd/2nd/1st/3rd. I'm sure I could get first overall now with a fully upgraded vehicle since I'm pretty sure I'd be able to nab first on Wales and Greece with upgrades, but clearly Monaco is still the bane of my existence in Dirt Rally. I felt a lot better on the full ice sections thanks to the tips though (and indeed, many of my green sectors were on the bare tarmac or full/wide ice parts); apparently I need to work on the mixed tarmac/ice sections.

Bentai posted:

Try this config. All you need to is tap A+X or A+B to shift with the clutch, and you've got quick access to the handbrake if needed:

I feel like I'll pass on manual clutching when making the jump (assuming it's optional). I've definitely seen possible gains in Dirt Rally with manual transmission (various points when the auto shifts when it shouldn't [that long, straight climbing hill on Greece where it keeps hopping up-gear/down-gear/up-gear/etc. :argh:]), but manual clutch just seems tedious and hand-straining (for little discernible benefit since even if transitioning to a wheel like I might at some point since it'd be a pedal).

I was torn between using A/X and LB/RB though so maybe this leverages A/X.

bUm fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 9, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Trochanter posted:

So, how does this game play with an automatic transmission? :v:
Plenty playable with auto. It makes poor shifts occasionally and I'm not sure how much potential it has to improve times, but I've been able to compete for first place in Master (the most difficult) events when using fully upgraded cars with auto. Additionally, I've been able to snag top 100 times (out of a few thousand people) on the daily/weekly events.

Manual transmission might give a higher ceiling for putting up top times, but an auto transmission is not bad enough to blame for substantial performance shortcomings.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I think I found the most masochistic thing yet in this game last night.

Reverting to my old way of choosing what car to buy next, what I need for weekly/monthly online events, I picked up a Group B RWD and, naturally, went for the lighter and more HP Lancia (*A distant Jeremy Clackson yelling "Power!" rings out* No such thing as too hard to drive in the quest for power, right?). The first event in the championship to get some upgrades on it was Germany. At first I figured this would be ideal, but, after spending an hour and a half just trying to complete a single run on the first stage (granted a long stage, at night time to boot), I realized I was very wrong. Since I don't have the advanced setup unlocked yet, I can't go in and tone down the super aggressive camber/toe the Default setups run on Germany which, paired with the Group B RWD Lancia, is basically the perfect storm of control problems:
  • It spins if you get on the gas too hard too early after a turn (actually expected this to be more problematic than it was based on the 1970's Lancia).
  • It spins or veers un-recoverably off course if you turn the wheel too far in fast corners.
  • It cascades to leaning over further and further on long turns that often send you off one side or the other if you let it go/try to correct (and has lift-off oversteer so even letting up doesn't help you).
  • It spins 180 degrees instantly if you press the brakes while it is leaning hard into a turn (there's a few turns with long leaning curves into acutes/hairpins/right-angles that ruined me many times).
  • It insta-spins if you get a single wheel in the grass unless you're under ~50 MPH.
  • It has terribly ineffective brakes that suck at straight-line stopping like nothing I've yet experienced in this game (although I did seem to be stopping better after swapping to pumping the brakes 0%-100%-0%-100% rather than steadily increasing them).
The worst part of all: a lot of these steering problems are fairly speed agnostic, the thing is just genuinely unstable constantly (hell, it's probably more stable at higher speeds, but then, of course, you're in a much worse spot for unexpected mishaps). Oh, and, this instability was actually worse before I did pretty significant tweaks to the setup (as much as I could without advanced tuning unlocked) throughout the course. :ohdear:

10/10; would not recommend taking an unupgraded Group B RWD on Germany. I was getting better at managing it later in the runs though, maybe it'll click for me today when I'm fresh (although I'm very confident that I could tune away the instability if I had advanced tuning unlocked).

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Monte Carlo is still tough, even with a fast as poo poo car. Still did mostly OK on Pra d'Alart, though. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7cdIuIPLDs
Was a second slower than you in the same car (I think, I use hood cam but that looks like it's the Fiesta) for the weekly event (granted it was snowing and night... but night isn't a big deal on Monaco).

Kind of disappointed: was maintaining solid runs for the 2010's Weekly, but popped a tire halfway through the last stage (that ended up bare rim the last sector) and it cost me about 30 seconds. Would've been around 30th/320 if not for that instead of 70th.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Great Joe posted:

It's not that hard, you just give yourself more time to ease the car's weight off the rear. It's amazing what the 037 will give you if you just give it a bit of brake while keeping the throttle at around 50% or so in a corner.
By far and away the hardest thing I've run into in this game thus far (outside, perhaps, the initial learning curve). :shrug:

Just finally finished it. Took probably four and half hours all told to get through all 12 stages with non-car-murdering runs and it was probably the most miserable time I've had playing this game to date. Guess, on the plus side, my pace was good enough that, even going for just finishing runs, I managed second. Pretty sure this is the last time I want to bring a car without advanced setup options to Germany though. If the Fiesta (which I also found far worse to drive on Germany with Default than the other three) was anything to go by: you can greatly reduce the oversteer, have it be drastically easier to drive, and still lay down equal or better times than even a solid run with the finicky Default.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Some way to alter the pace notes would definitely be nice. Not sure they need to go full :spergin: to the point of including all that video offers (cool to know how actual teams do them though), but being able to alter any given call and shift timings to be earlier/later would be great. There's definitely some calls currently in game I would adjust if I could; usually ones where the current pace notes underestimate things that are the primary cause of incidents, but also a couple where they overestimate and I lose time needlessly slowing more than necessary.

SealHammer posted:

So does anyone think there's any chance Codemasters is going to try making some longer (25+ km) stages or are we basically boned as far as crazy realistic stage lengths. I really would like to see stages long enough that I can't just memorize them.
I would've guessed engine limitation also if not for the comment on Pike's Peak; even then, the fact that it's weaving up one side of a mountain makes it a lot less spread out than linking the two pieces of Col de Turini would be or having a much longer/more spread out countryside journey through Wales/Germany.

Unless they add user-generated rally courses I wouldn't count on it though since Codemasters, even if they did make a long singular run like that, would cut it into a bunch of pieces and run you through the ringer on them like the current selection so you'd memorize (at least the more memorable parts) them anyway. :gonk:

Long runs or not, I hope they get user-stage creation going at some point to make rallies far less repetitive as it is my biggest beef with Dirt Rally (which speaks to how good it is).

Great Joe posted:

Good, now record yourself getting through Monte Carlo in a Lancia 037 or Ford Sierra.
Turns out Monte Carlo was next after Germany for my Lancia 037 journey. It's really sketchy on ice (especially the more technical icy areas going downhill), but it's brilliant on tarmac; so brilliant, in fact, I might be able to get first (4 second lead 8/12 of the way) with only half the upgrades (still missing -200 kg and ~30 HP) on my worst rally. :dance: Naturally, due to the ice sketchiness, the first two stages were both the long versions that start in the village which made me have a pretty garbage setup till the third stage.

Edit: Finished it out. Lost my advantage thanks to solid AI runs in stages 9 and 10 to being down about one second. Stage 11 I busted out a pretty good Pra d'Alart (presumably, nothing to compare it to for Group B RWD; got a 6:50) to jump to a six second lead. The last stage the second place guy wrecked (this seems to happen fairly often when you have a slight lead on them... potentially a nice touch to emulate them trying hard to win) and I ended up winning by 32 seconds. :shrug:

Now the tough question: since the Lancia is fully upgraded, should I grab the Opel so I can fully (hopefully) upgrade both Group B RWD's in a single Championship? Probably lose the championship if I do, but I'm pretty sure there's no benefit to actually winning the overall championship (maybe an achievement? I already got one for winning the Group B Master's, not sure if there's per-class ones).
/Edit

SealHammer posted:

Yeah some of the default car setups are just unavoidably trash. The Impreza setup for Greece had me flying off cliffs regularly because I constantly expected more oversteer than it wanted to give me.
I don't remember altering my Fiesta's setup for the Greece rally too much, but, yeah, during the daily today it felt like it was understeering like mad. I wish you could load custom setups for the car owner's daily (and from the first stage for weeklies, instead of having to wait to the first repair session).

bUm fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 12, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

pik_d posted:

I don't completely understand the settings that the game has by default. When I start an event, there are some settings, but then I can hit F2 to show the default settings, which are sometimes different from what is already there. What exactly are the settings that are already there, if not the default settings?
Yeah, I don't know what the deal with this is either other than assuming it's a bug. :shrug:

Had it happen when I did the Group B RWD Weekly on Germany last night. Whatever random setup it gave me turned out to be pretty good (and better when I could finally tweak it for the third stage to improve acceleration/braking) and I found myself at 18/1018 on the Weekly when I completed it last night (with 5 and a half hours remaining). :dance:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I've had slight performance problems since some patch during my gap in play (never saw any FPS drops prior except occasional background processes mucking things up), but it doesn't seem weather related for me; pretty sure my issues are tree-related since I've only had stutters (still fairly rare) in the forest portion of Germany and periodically on Wales.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Are you playing in 3rd person view?
I doubt it since nobody should play in third person (also the video he posted was using hood). I started in third person for some reason and took awhile to realize the error of my ways; I cut a huge chunk of time off all my runs once I swapped to hood cam since good nose placement completely negates caring at all about what happens with the rear end end of the car and placing the nose deep into the turn is often much faster (and easier in hood than chase cam).

Maybe I'll eventually move to interior/UI off to get more bonus ducats for offline.

Gerblederp posted:

Since i got into Group B I've somehow forgotten how to drive RWD.

First corner always ends in a blown tire.
4WD's in general are so much easier.

On RWD :argh:: the Lancia 037 has proved to be a massive pain in the rear end to get around Wales. Fortunately, the Master AI is trash in Group B RWD around Wales. On River Severn (long), first stage, I went off and got a 15 second penalty and still only lost 1.5 seconds to the top AI. On the second stage (another long), I had a multi-barrel-roll crash costing ~10 seconds and still picked up five seconds over the top AI. The third stage (another long*), the top two AI (ones that are consistently 1st and 2nd if I'm not disturbing them) both wrecked. I'm sitting a full minute up at with 8/12 in the books and that's pretty much without restarts (aka: plenty of mistakes) after the first stage (dialing in a not completely awful setup was tough since the Default just bounced and slid off all over the place). Who knew once I got the setup in check, it'd be one of the easiest events I've ever run.

* Didn't notice until this freak championship with the first three stages being long that the long/short composition of every rally in the championship is identical after RNG decides their placement when you start it. I never want the opening three to all be long runs again; I prefer easing into things with some shorts and having the longs in the middle.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
AI wrecking in Group B RWD seems pretty common.

Finishing out Wales, second place (the usually third best AI, since first and second had already wrecked) crashed and I ended up winning a Master Event by over three minutes over second place. :laugh:

With first place overall secured regardless of outcome on the fourth event, I decided to pick up the Opel Manta to get some unlocks rolling on it. It's a pig compared to the Lancia 037 (granted, no upgrades... but it still feels a lot more sluggish than I remember the unupgraded Lancia) both in maneuverability and power. So I'm rolling along in 5th place after a few stages, as expected. Then the third best AI wrecks out, cool: 4th place. Keep chugging along and, a couple stages later, fourth best AI wrecks out, cool: 3rd place. Getting into the latter stages, 3 to go and second best AI wrecks out; neat: 2nd place. :dance: Cue fifth best AI turning on cheat mode: he obliterates both me and the best AI by a solid 10+ seconds over the next two stages, putting me in third by about five seconds (first place well ahead) and successfully making me pretty mad as I'd gotten my hopes up about getting second (after expecting 4th or 5th going in).

I head into the last stage and in the first sector am six seconds in the green. That doesn't seem right; I've barely been in the green all rally for any sector, let alone by even half that much. Second sector and I'm ten seconds in the green. I start grinning because if I hold pace I'll definitely get 2nd back and it seems likely first place wrecked. Sure enough, I finish out the stage gaining 12 seconds: easily passing the AI that'd surpassed me and the first place guy was nowhere to be found. Unupgraded car getting first place out of the blue because the best four AI all wrecked. :woop:

After that I picked up the Peugeot Kit Car to see if I can't get it upgraded in time to do the Kit Car Weekly. Only done a single stage, but drat if I don't feel like I'm driving the FWD version of the Lancia 037: it's ridiculously powerful and seems pretty frightening at first glance to do well with.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Well, I made a lot of new friends out there, today. Unfortunately, most of them were rocks. :)
:raise:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I recant my earlier words on calling the Peugeot Kit Car the FWD version of the Lancia 037. It just took a bit of practice with a high power FWD car to make it a rather easy and very fun drive (a bit of tuning also helped). Definitely became one of my favorites over the course of my first event with it (Greece); even managed to edge my way into a second place finish, up from 5th in the early goings (without any competition wrecking, unlike the Group B RWD). The default gearing kind of drives me crazy though: 1st gear till ~50 MPH, ~20 MPH per gear thereafter. Without advanced tuning you can't even really fix it without making later gears way too small (spend a lot of time shifting when they only cover ~15 MPH).

Couldn't get it fully upgraded in time for the Kit Car weekly and the default setup for it seems pretty rear end on Monaco (mad lift off oversteer/back swinging wildly around too much on bumpy stuff), but still did alright (~50th).

Pretty proud of my 1980's weekly though: snagged 25th. Drove like a dream loading up my old setups on it.

Still not particularly pleased with the way they seem to like doing weeklies though: both last week and one this week were six stages all of which are actually the same set of road (forward, reverse, the two forward sprints, the two reverse sprints). Way to highlight the weakest aspect of the game, how repetitive stages are. :thumbsup: Then the other one was six long stages which was kind of annoyingly long (~42 minutes, sprint stages are a nice respite).

Great Joe posted:

Well, it was the most fatal type of rally car.
I believe it.

After much tuning, I'm basically convinced there isn't a setup to make the Lancia 037 tame throughout the entirety of Wales; tamed it (off the ice, I don't think you can tame a high-power RWD on ice) on Monaco though and it felt real good. :dukedog:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

pik_d posted:

Brake earlier, lift if the car unsettles, stay in a higher gear, worry more about clean lines than outright speed. Brake earlier.

Edit: Brake earlier.
Driving slower to maintain a good line is unironically one of the best ways to improve your times (on offroad anyway, especially Wales) and, more importantly, reliability of finishing without wrecking. However, you can also go too slow and it gets harder again (no longer hopping over small bumps that can unsettle the car) so don't get too throttle-shy.

This is especially true with Group B. You can set immaculate runs in Group B if you can bounce just right through the stage and restart for hours until you finish a run at a ridiculous pace or you can slow down, still set solid times, and do most stages first try.

shortspecialbus posted:

No idea why I kicked rear end at Dirt2/3 and the old Colin McRae games but don't at this :shrug:
Well, Dirt 1/3 (didn't play 2 personally) were a frighteningly easy arcade games to the point I couldn't even find enjoyment in them.

The old Colin McRae games had much less detailed mapping of the ground and super wide stages that made them far easier because there was a lot less trying to knock you off the stage and there was much greater margin of error when you did mess up before your radiator was learning what bark tastes like.

Also, agreeing with advice to, if you're really struggling, use the 2010's Fiesta (or a Group A car). It's probably the easiest driving car in the game (the 2010's Mini might actually be a bit easier, but it's bulkier and less agile which I don't like). Learning with a Group B is extra dangerous since most of them have way more power than necessary which means you're going faster than necessary which often means you're wrecking.

In terms of the wreck potency: I get mad occasionally when I catch a wheel on something minor and going rolling or otherwise crash. At the same time though, it's probably not that unrealistic physics-wise when I was going 80 MPH when catching said wheel.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

The Stratos is objectively the best car in the game, alongside the 037.
Think I hit a new speed record last night with the 037 doing the Group B RWD weekly: just broke the 140 MPH barrier on those long German stretches (according to the speedo, didn't verify in my profile). Unfortunately, on the fifth stage I totaled my car going down the steep hill in the woods (got a bit wide round the bend into the steep descent and smashed into a tree at 100 MPH... both front wheels fell off entirely) and had to reset my weekly and run the first four stages again. :smith: Managed to snag a place in the 20's (think I was 26th with ~5 hours left) though with slightly improved times each stage on the second round. Pushing the 037 to the limit is exhilarating, even on tarmac.

After Group B RWD and Kit Cars (offline career), getting in my Group A Lancia for the other Weekly (haven't got around to buying/upgrading the Lancia Delta) felt so tame and boring in comparison. I thought about using the 037 again, but it is a very brazen beast on Wales and I was a tad gun shy after the Germany runs.

Out of Band II posted:

Really liked the kit cars from the league event, so light and fast.
Other cars feel so heavy and unresponsive after mucking about with the Kit Cars for awhile. Was there ever any Group B FWD? I'd be so down for them introducing even more extreme FWD than the Kit Cars even if it's a-historical because they're really fun.

Then again, I felt majorly let down we didn't see a Suzuki Escudo with the Hillclimb stuff which was a monster that actually raced (and Group B cars with their '85, '86 HPs of 500+) so I won't count my blessings on getting gimmicky non-existent stuff that are totally ridiculous.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

The way they drive. After getting so used to driving RWD, that exaggerated power-lift oversteer is maddening.
I had difficulties going back to my Kit Car last night after doing the Monthly (Fiesta is so good, so easy to drive*); Kit Cars are definitely a very different driving style to get used to compared to anything else (the 60's cars are so underpowered they don't really hit home the FWD difference).

I was doing Wales, but, if anything, I felt I was struggling with understeer and bump stability problems (I think because it's so light little bumps upset it a lot more than one might expect, especially with how well you carry speed). That is to say: maybe tool around in the suspension settings a bit because that might be able to make it react less extreme under weight transfer, just maybe giving rise to other problems instead. :eng99: Like the Lancia 037, I was unable to find a setup I was really happy with the Peugeot 306 on Wales; no matter what the setup just feels like a bad compromise that drives relatively stable for the longest periods, but occasionally just gets murdered by localized areas.

Did you happen to be doing Germany? I feel like every Default setup on Germany in general (haven't done it single player yet in my Kit Car which is usually where I hone setups) has weight transfer issues that turns into mad oversteer if you aren't careful; I've found softer suspension and less negative camber helps me a ton in general on Germany to prevent the car from entering the Default's stiff lean in high speed turns that causes the car to totally let loose if you don't un-lean it carefully prior to lifting off the gas or heavy braking.

* I even managed a 6:29 on Pra d'Alart for the Monthly, a quite solid time judging by our earlier talks on ice driving using that stage. On a related note: does the game keep track of personal best runs on stages per cars at all? Seems like a useful thing for it to do, but their UI is half baked so it's hard to find some stuff, if it even exists.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cyberbird posted:

I picked this up day one because I loved the previous Dirt games, and I knew it was going to be harder, but the challenge has been consistent in a way I haven't experienced with any other racing game.

But today,

I got my first win.
:cheers:

In other news, I am so confused how the repair cost at the end of rallies in tabulated. Finished my Peugeot 306 Wales and, despite repairing everything to 100% almost every repair session I came away with a 170,000 credit charge for repairs. :what: I barely made any credits despite getting first (Master's event, so 200,000 credits).

Decided to buy the Ibiza for the next event so I can fully upgrade both Kit Cars in a single Kit Car Championship. Used probably about 3/4 the total repair time as the previous run and even crashed hard right before the end of the last stage (breaking my radiator and roughing up my front end pretty bad) and the repair cost was *drumroll* loving 20,000 credits.

What in the world decides the repair cost that a not ridiculously different amount of damage would diverge the repair costs by 150,000 credits? I had assumed it was by lingering damage + damage from the last two stages, but that doesn't make sense since with the end-of-run wreck on the latter, the damage had to be higher post-rally than the first one.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

pik_d posted:

I think the damage is all the repairs you made plus the damage at the end.
Perhaps.

Some rallies I feel like I get really beat up though (using most of the 30 minutes to repair, occasionally not getting everything to 100% each time*) and it's a pittance to repair; other rallies I felt were not too bad (similar or better repair situation like the aforementioned Wales) and it's an arm and a leg, despite never having a component drop below 85~90% integrity per repair period. It just seems really inconsistent in my experience, but apparently I'm alone in that feeling judging by the responses.

* Does seem like cost and repair time is tied to car driven so that's probably part of it. I have always repaired everything to 100% but Kit Cars and 2010's since getting a full crew of 85 overalls since it takes drastically less time (and presumably credits) to repair lower-level/cheaper cars.

Triple A posted:

Seriously, drive cleaner if you can. That way, you will be faster than you thought you could be.
I do drive pretty clean and getting cleaner (usually making it through 12-stage events with restarts to spare, if using any at all, which never used to happen), but accidents happen sometimes and I feel like there's a degree of unavoidable wear and tear (especially on gravel, particularly on Wales with its very bumpy stages). I feel like I'm doing fairly good, still improving as well, on fastness: usually getting second against Master AI with unupgraded cars now, first with half upgraded cars; routinely top 5~10% on Daily/Weekly/Monthly Online Events.*

Maybe there's still work to be done though. Do people here manage to consistently do sub-5% damages per repair on gravel? I can usually manage that on tarmac and often find myself using under 15 (sometimes under 10) minutes of the repair window to get everything to 100%, but on gravel I usually have enough damage, even without notable accidents, that it's into the 15~30 minute range most repair windows with most components at 90~95%.

* At least you don't have to pay repairs for online stuff: should get a nice ~350k from the Monthly event ending imminently with no cut taken. :D

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Potentially useful info: if you dead tie in points with an AI for a championship, it seems to give you the benefit of the doubt. Ran 2nd/1st/2nd/1st getting both Kit Cars upgraded and the top AI did 1st/2nd/1st/2nd and it still gave me the win and the corresponding achievement.

Surprisingly, I think Monaco was actually the hardest to manage with FWD, but maybe that was in part to it being the unupgraded Ibiza so I couldn't fix the suspension being so oversteer-happy over bumps which is always a tricky condition to manage. The Default for Germany (usually a sore spot in most cars for me) was actually exceptionally good, all I changed was adjusting for more even gearing and making it turn a little more aggressively (toe out on the front wheels).

julian assflange posted:

Obviously it is early days but has there been talk of a console release? I so want to play this game :smith:
Think they said it was a possibility after it's out of early access. Judging by their timeline, it'd be probably Q1 2016 at the very earliest though (AKA the last item on their timeline is Nov 2015 currently).

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Did a few hours of it tonight. They weren't kidding when they said the AI was bad; got up through Pro difficulty and more or less felt like I was hot lapping the whole time because the AI was irrelevant after the first couple turns almost every time. Even with moderate mistakes, I didn't manage to not get first once. The few times I screwed up early, I got the impression AI weren't coded to give a poo poo about contact though; a couple times they got me sideways and just kept pushing me along sideways until I could accelerate to get off their bumper. They also, like PCars, don't seem to understand reversing and a couple times I saw them get stuck nose-first on a wall and sit there the rest of the race.

That said, racing against other players (and maybe even AI when they make it relevant) will probably be super fun since a bit of bumping and grinding is par for the course, unlike most circuit racing where you feel like a dick about contact.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Weird. I thought the devs stated a while back that had been changed.
Naw, that was just for custom events because people were annoyed they couldn't test out fully upgraded cars.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Did some more Rallycross tonight and bringing an almost unupgraded car (fully upgraded the Fiesta, moved onto the VW*) into Master's events finally actually made my performance matter quite a lot with regards to winning so I actually had to fight the AI; still managed to win, but I might have had to do some bullying. :getin: It was great fun not easily cruising to victory every time while it lasted (the VW is now fully upgraded and rolling them is pretty easy again). Guess I get to do it one more time with the Peugeot, right?

On another note, Rallycross seems great for farming credits hard since Master's events rake in ~150,000 credits (first place, no restarts used) in 18~20 minutes. I'm up over a million credits from 5~6 hours of Rallycross play (not even counting buying a second 350,000 credit car in there somewhere). Credits weren't really an issue since I was hovering around a million anyway, but Rallycross just rakes 'em in if someone was struggling to buy all the cars they wanted.

* Definitely prefer the Fiesta: I made the right call on which to go for first. It just feels more nimble with no real drawbacks for that benefit.

njsykora posted:

Meanwhile after driving around Wales and Germany with it, I've finally come to realise why the E30 is so beloved, christ is that thing fun to throw around.
Not only is it pretty badass, but the only other option for 1980's is a piece of trash (IMO) so that doesn't hurt it being the go-to.

Spaced God posted:

Speaking of awesome rally-related youtube videos, I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETUkSlvlp78
I like how little the roll phases him; I feel the same way after much Dirt Rally play.

Edit: Potentially useful info for anyone who hasn't tested/experienced it yet: the wheel replacement feature gives a minute 30 second penalty (on top of the fact that it only seems to pop up as an option if you do recover car first and don't move again, setting you back another 10~15 second penalty) so I'd use it very sparingly. Unless it's in the first half of a long stage or first sector of a short one, I doubt it's a gain (besides driving with a wheel down being miserable).

bUm fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 5, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

bUm posted:

It was great fun not easily cruising to victory every time while it lasted (the VW is now fully upgraded and rolling them is pretty easy again). Guess I get to do it one more time with the Peugeot, right?
Turns out I was very wrong: the WRX Peugeot is fantastic unupgraded; fully upgraded it might be my new favorite WRX car. Not sure how much of this is car setup though since I left them all mostly Default, but I think with no upgrades I'd put the Peugeot over the fully upgraded VW.

In other news: anyone else get extreme, game-stopping slow downs when they hit their full-physics, free-standing tire walls? My CPU is old, but it literally brings my game to pretty much a dead stop for ~five seconds when I hit a tire wall hard so I think there might be a serious game optimization lapse.

Also: I don't think the achievement to cross the line in reverse to win an FIA event works. I tried it and didn't get credit; it almost cost me the race too. I still won by .002 seconds. :smuggo:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, I really didn't think that was going to happen. I looked at the scores beforehand and figured I could maybe beat sealhammer, because I had managed something like 4:02 or 4:03 in career. Somehow squeaked it out, though. This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.
drat. Didn't quite get a time in before the first event ended and it invalidated my time of 3:57 (doesn't show the final times anywhere I see, but, based on this comment, I assume I'd be vying for first).

Ahhh well, think I set a pretty good second event time at a tick over four minutes, but it didn't feel as strong as my Holjes runs were.

If we do another Rallycross in the future (might be irrelevant after PvP is added and we can just Rallycross with each other), can we get a harder AI setting? Dealing with lapped traffic near the end of the Final is really sketchy and that's the one it takes the time from!

SealHammer posted:

I was hoping someone would beat my time considering two of the 6 laps (including the first) I rolled the Polo on its side in the second corner next to the joker. The physics on that car are really strange.
That right turn before the left into the joker/not joker has put me on two wheels many times.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Qmass posted:

I must be the only person that hates the long stages...

so rally cross is a great change of pace. What lap times are people doing for the two full circuits? I need something to aim for while waiting on pvp.
I don't like long stages much in the context of basically-never-screws-up AI (I like being first!). In league or online where I don't feel as compelled to push to maintain first and can go at a more comfortable, but still quick pace (managed a couple top 20 spots on Weeklies out of high hundreds people completing them), I like them more.

I'm not sure we'll get anything much longer than Pike's Peak (~10 minutes with a strong car) due to engine limitations; I'd assume with the quality of ground mapping and modelling of things, they probably can't manage anything close to a real life long stage of 20+ minutes (in a non-crap car... if you could take the 60's cars up Pike's Peak, that might take 20 minutes), let alone a Dakar of hundreds of miles.

I wouldn't be opposed to longer stages that are more about endurance--not screwing up disasterously--if feasible, but I'd probably have the same like/dislike relationship as current long ones except more pronounced (making a mistake-free 20 minute run at on-the-precipice-of-disaster speed to compete with AI would be so frustrating :argh:).

I'd probably prefer just more stages though. The stage redundancy still sticks out like a sore thumb as my far and away biggest gripe with the game.

On Rallycross: good pace with a fully upgraded car (upgrades aren't as important as other modes), I'd say 40±1 second lap times are admirable. Add 2~3 seconds on Holjes Joker lap and 4~5 on Lydden Joker. Think my lap records for both tracks are in the low 38 second range (might've even managed to just crack into a high 37 second on Holjes), so there's a pissing contest target. :cheeky:

bUm fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 14, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Private lobbies for online rallycross is the big thing so we should try and get a Gooncross session going at some point.
Sounds like a thing that would be fun.

I still haven't played since the second rallycross patch and should probably check out the new cars/track/AI anyway.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

bUm posted:

I still haven't played since the second rallycross patch and should probably check out the new cars/track/AI anyway.
Got some good time in the second rallycross patch finally. Fully upgraded the DS3 and started upgrading the :swoon: Subaru :swoon:. I'm loving the way the Subaru feels; it may dispossess the Peugeot as my favorite rallycross car.

Generally though, the patch is kind of disappointing:
- I'm pretty sure they added a new bug that makes dust/smoke hang in the air for stupidly long times (least I never noticed it this bad before). I can understand some dust (drastically less than there seems to be) maybe still hanging in the air when you come round ~30 seconds after the last car went through that area, but visible smoke from tires skidding on tarmac still hanging around ~30 seconds later? Nope. That doesn't add up unless the AI was doing donuts instead of racing. It's like there's a localized dust storm over all the gravel/dirt sections on the rallycross tracks and splotches of white smoke just constantly hanging around on most tight tarmac turns.

- The new AI seems to have forgotten that they are racing with other cars and will gleefully pit maneuver you and other AI alike with reckless disregard. I understand rallycross is contact racing, but it seems almost like they coded in malicious intent with how often I've just been blatantly spun out by the new AI, despite frantically trying my best to hold on turning full into them spinning me out. I only watched a few of the FIA Rallycross stuff the Dirt Devs linked, but I'm pretty sure intentionally spinning other racers is frowned upon in the sport and might entail a penalty.

- The new track is solid. A lot more turn/lower speed and technical focused that feels like longer laps, but are actually slightly shorter.

- However, the garbage AI strikes again here in that the AI follows their aggressive lines with zero fucks given to the presence of other cars and often will blindside you and other AI when they take their Joker because the line they take cuts straight through the best-approach-line to the first corner for people not taking their Joker and they will just up and T-bone you at 100+ MPH. I literally have resorted to taking my Joker the first lap every time so that I'm behind the AI and don't receive race-ending damage when they decide to take their Joker; if I pass them before they take it, I've opted to taking a slow line that hugs the inside curb going into the first turn despite it being far slower so then their Joker line takes them outside me rather than chancing it to being fuckin' Hot Wheels criss-cross derby on whether they'll take me out when going for their Joker. The only amusing part about this thing that even rudimentary beta testing (literally a race or two since it happens almost every race) should've caught and prevented from getting to live is that in the 6-car races the back three seem hard-coded to take their Joker first lap and this often forces the first three cars into taking their Joker the first lap too because they literally are rammed into taking it by the back three preventing them from turning down into the first turn.

- And, perhaps the saddest part: on top of giving the AI lobotomies and making them sociopaths that want to destroy other cars, they are still pretty piss poor competition for me. I struggled a bit with the unupgraded DS3 (playing against presumably Master AI, doing the FIA thing against the real world named AI) and got 3rd/2nd/1st my first championship, but got easy firsts for the second championship when I started with half the upgrades. With the Subaru I'm 1st/1st/ so far after going in my upgradeless championship. I guess the gap back to them is closer, around half the former 10~20 seconds to second place for Master AI before, but still seems much easier than Master AI for the traditional rally/hill climb stuff which is a little disappointing since the challenge there is the course and the challenge of rallycross should be the other racers since hotlapping the tracks isn't too tough.

Complaining aside, the patch njsykora mentioned has happened I think and we could get together a goon rallycross if there was interest. I haven't done any PvP or looked at the PvP stuff to know much about it though.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Looks like Finland could be fun: a faster Wales that is difficult more for speed/jumps than the camber trying to buck you off the road between technical/slower sections.

Other things to look forward to next patch if you aren't following their weekly blogs: they're continuing to improve Rallycross AI (the community told them what I whined about prior: the AI basically isn't aware you exist at all and is completely and totally awful about hitting/pit-maneuvering you) and their competitiveness (further modest improvements to their times). Also, they're finally adding Custom Championships to Career so you can earn ducats while not being confined to their difficulty/length scaling system which is awesome because being held to 12-stage events without intentionally lowering standing by abandoning down difficulties is kind of terrible as was being locked to a vehicle class for ~4 hours of driving (to be ~5 with Finland), assuming no restarts.

After doing way too much Rallycross to be ready for goon rallycross that never happened (:smithcloud:), I wandered back to Hill Climb that I had largely omitted thanks to taking a break for PCars and never revisiting and finished upgrading a car (the 405) and beating it at Master difficulty. Not going to lie, it's kind of lame that Master has three events and only two options for courses: full thing paved or full thing mixed surface, guaranteeing a repeat. Also seems pretty easy at Master, I was offing the AI by a solid 20~30 seconds on both variants, but maybe it's tougher with the 205/Audi that are modestly lesser cars (in theory, I haven't tried 'em). If I wasn't already swimming in credits from Rallycross (~5 million, maybe enough to just straight up buy every car I don't already have), Hill Climb seems like a great way to rake them in since you can abandon your second run (if the first was good) and rattle off event wins at 10 minutes a pop. Kind of weird how low credit basic rallies/online are in comparison, never mind how much more difficult they are, increasing likelihood of restarts/lower income bracketing.

After that, I wandered back to regular rally checking out the Opel Kadett since I never revisited the 70's after it was added. The Opel Kadett was fantastic on the first rally, Monaco (managed to rock the Master AI by a not-insignificant 25 second margin non-upgraded with very few restarts because it cut the tarmac up so cleanly and easily), and I was going to come extol the virtues of it until I moved on to Greece. Not sure if it's the heavy gravel or gravel in general, but it seems to be a pile of rear end on Greece. I can't get it to go around hairpins (uphill or down) for the life of me for some reason: it's either understeering maddeningly until I drop to almost a stop or abrupt oversteering and getting me trapped nose-first in the bushes/rocks inside the hairpin. Aside from the horrendously slow switchbacks, it's not terribly composed on the faster rough stuff between either. Poked and prodded the setup for probably over an hour (see: among the longest of any car/location pairing right up with the Lancia 037 on Wales) and nothing seemed to significantly tame it on the rough parts or appreciably up the pace on the hairpins. Want to try it on Germany, more than a bit leery about even bringing it to Wales (instead of grabbing the 70's Fiat or Ford which I also don't yet have).

As ever: Dirt Rally giveth much fun and then occasionally taketh it away with a bad car/location/setup combo just making it miserable to try and get around without flying off a cliff or feeding your radiator rocks or tree bark. :v:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

My apologies there, I've basically been working non-stop since that last patch came out to the point where I've barely done any rally at all. I do still want to do it though, possibly as a pre-game event to the new Gooncar series the iRacing crew are starting this weekend. What times work for people?
NA evenings (anytime after ~7:30 PM Central) are good for me regardless of day. Could do earlier on weekends (and sometimes weekdays), but probably more hit or miss on that.

Jehde posted:

Also the achievements have been added to Steam, detailing the Finland stages as well as the inclusion of a 2000s class. The achievement for the new class, "Friends - Rivals - Champions - Legends", implies that Colin McRae's Ford Focus and Richard Burns' Peugeot 206 are included in that class.

Still hard to believe how good this game is turning out to be sometimes.
Never really looked at the fully detailed achievement list, but I'd like to note that it's really dumb it doesn't count the beating the community delta ones if you do it in career. I feel like I'd probably have gotten every one of those achievements if they did (pretty sure the community delta is a pretty low bar based on the once-ever-I-saw daily that did delta instead of their tri-bracket) instead of having none because doing a run on every single stage in the game solely for an achievement seems like a waste of time when I've already done it a bunch in career.

Looks like my most obscure achievements are: winning a Group B RWD Championship ("We The Terrors"), Kit Car Championship ("Here's One I Made Earlier"), and Master's Championships with three different vehicles ("Nobody Knows I’m Famous").

Dirt Rally is proving to be a pretty solid endeavor. Kind of curious if they're going to announce more stuff in the pipeline as we close in on the end of their timeline (only two updates/months remain after Finland drops: "Modern Masters" [more 2010 cars? hopefully some post-80's Hillclimb cars?] and "Winter Wonderland" [Sweden]) or if they're going to "release" it and move onto DLC/expansion talk.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

quote:

- We’ve stopped the Engineer contract lengths and costs from being affected when competing in league events.
Nice to see they finally came around on that one that I pointed out as dumb literally the first goon league event.

Make playing in leagues with friends a money-losing-only proposition!*

* Was more important before Hillclimb/RX made making money hand over fist normal.

Jehde posted:

I just noticed this issue last night as I was trying to break my personal Pikes Peak record, the hitching made it pretty difficult in spots. My personal record is 9:11, set in Dirt 1, I managed a 9:13 in Dirt Rally but there were a couple notable gently caress ups. I'll try again after I get bored of running Finland non-stop.

Edit: There's no clickable 'OK' or 'cancel' buttons in the menu so you can't use the mouse entirely. :downs:
I should probably tend to setting a good record on Pike's Pike too (road version, I assume you're talking about mixed based on mentioning Dirt 1); had a great run going that was significantly faster than my current best, I flopped it hard near the top of the mountain, losing ~20 seconds between going off-penalty for off-getting moving again, and still came in ~5 seconds over 9 minutes (better than Master AI).

That's funny about the menus, but not surprising. It'll get resolved for the next big patch, if not sooner. I'm fine without mouse compatibility anyway, the only menu I feel really is getting long in the tooth is the car class select; they really need to turn it into a grid instead of a left/right only so it's easier to get to the later classes.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Desires Julien Ingrassia, gets Samir's co-driver.

Co-op could be neat, but I'd definitely prefer being the driver as well. Think a friend of mine mentioned thinking co-drivering would be cool, but they haven't picked up Dirt Rally. :cripes:

In other news, I noticed a curiosity glancing at Custom Championship: is it for real that you get more reward for doing one on easier difficulties? I checked out creating one for all three options and every one increased the reward for making it longer (more events, more stages/laps, etc.) which seemed logical, but the reward multiplier was the highest for Open difficulty (300% for rally) and lowest for Master (100%). Has anyone completed a Custom to confirm this? Does the higher reward multiplier grow with you (AKA it's highest for Open the first time, then moves on as you climb the rungs so eventually Master yields the highest reward)?

bUm posted:

[...] Opel Kadett [...] seems to be a pile of rear end on Greece.
Update: with the revised handling characteristics of this patch it seemed much better on Greece, but still not :swoon:-worthy like it was, hopefully still is, on Monaco.

Didn't check out Finland yet because my OCD beckoned me to finish my in-progress Championship first, but I made an adventure of it: after a couple stages (was already a couple in from before) I decided to, having started looking into jumping from controller to a wheel, swap cameras from my ol' faithful hood cam to driver cam. At first, it was hard and I found myself wrecking my car in the first sector over and over. Gradually I started making it further and having slightly slower, but not bad, splits compared with prior hood cam restarts. Finally a run came together and I finished the stage. The next stage was easier. The stage after that was even better still. After being only 1.5 seconds ahead of the second place AI after four stages w/ hood cam, I ended the rally 1.5 minutes ahead. Either using driver cam is significantly better or changing to it broke the Master AI somehow (reset their adaptive difficulty that's supposed to keep them competitive?). I honestly am taken aback: I see many definite perks to the camera change, but I must be gaining time in places I never even knew there was time to be gained to have just battered the Master AI harder than I ever have before.

To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I continued onto the next event (turned out to be Germany) in a newly purchased (unupgraded) Ford Escort Mk. II. I struggled initially which I think was a combo of a new car and right-hand drive vehicle*, but, after the first couple being rough, I rattled off the remaining 10 stages nearly without restart and was a full minute ahead of second place (granted, the usual top AI DNFed, but it's usually only 10~20 seconds between top AI and second AI by rally end).

Looking forward to Finland thanks to the comments here and my reinvigorated love of Dirt Rally with driver cam.

* Didn't seem like much of an imposition in PCars on a circuit, but it was throwing me something fierce on a rally course since it's a closer experience to street driving which I've only done in good ol' left-hand drives. Boo :britain:, hooray :911:.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
One thing I forgot to mention about patch impressions: not being able to turn off mouse compatibility (that I saw) was rather annoying. Used to using a controller and it functions fine so having a cursor sitting dead center at all moments not spent racing (even on the black-transition-to-race screen and sitting on the starting gate until the countdown starts) is just a nuisance.

njsykora posted:

I think the multiplier is for the credits you'd get at that difficulty. So an 8 stage championship would give double credits at open difficulty since it's double length, but normal credits at professional where that's the normal length. The higher difficulty still gives more money though, roughly 80k vs 150k.
Alright, that makes sense in the scope of comparing it to what you'd normally be getting for an equivalent non-Custom Championship. They should probably tune up the UI there to make it more clear, especially moving forward as new people buy the game and wouldn't know the existing reward values per difficulty anyway.

OhsH posted:

i uh..... poo poo did they confirm this?

Jehde posted:

Oh and I keep harping on about co-op rally, but I know there's atleast one other goon that wants this and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49yvjpP6gI0&t=2235s
Kind of in this clip of their monthly/content release stream. They don't know the finer details of implementation, but they want to include it and, worst comes to worst, will just PDF the pace notes on the Dirt site and allow muting of co-driver in game so you can manually do it.

I hope they can manage a fairly simple actual implementation through online because it doesn't seem like it'd work too well otherwise unless you were sitting together thanks to latency if you had to stream it to your co-driver.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Decided to give Custom Championship a try last night, after fully upgrading the Opel Kadett and Ford Escort, since one event (Wales) didn't quite fully upgrade the Fiat (last 70's car to upgrade).

First I was disappointed to see you have no say in even location, let alone stages, so I couldn't try Finland like I wanted. My 1/5 chance failed and I ended up on Greece, oh well. On the plus side: the Fiat felt really drat good on Greece compared to the Kadett so I had a lot of fun.

However, come the end, I found myself annoyed again. I ran a six stage, single event championship since I just wanted to finish upgrading and move on. This was 1/10 the length of a full Master Championship and correspondingly told me the reward was 10% so I figured first place would net me 100,000 credits (normally 200,000 per event, 5 events make it a clean million total now), but nope! Reward was 20,000 for first. Further still, the math didn't even add up for the expanded breakdown of income: it still told me +25,000 credits for no restarts, but didn't actually give it to me at all (only giving the 20,000 for win + bonus for preferences - repairs).

So, yeah, guess Custom Championship was a nice idea, but I probably won't be using outside of a quick way to finish nearly complete upgrades unless (until?) they fix their math to actually appropriately reward you per length overall.

Jehde posted:

Edit: Rallycross AI are still assholes.
After getting annoyed that I couldn't Custom Championship up Finland by choice, I decided to check out Rallycross with my in-car only camera and found it a lot harder than hood cam.

The AI seemed much better to me though. At the very least they aren't on rails anymore and I was able to push them around (as opposed to before where they were moving walls and even intentionally trying to spin or crash them was nearly impossible). If anything, they seemed to timid to me: being fine to hang behind me without really trying to contest.

They still go stupid fast against you and not each other though: my Holjes semi-final had 6th place in my semi tied with 1st place in the other.

njsykora posted:

E: Speaking of amazing, I spent some time fiddling in the game's files to sort my FOV out and now the cockpit camera is pretty great.

Will have to check this out since I figure my FoV settings could be better (the default in-game FoV doesn't seem terribly clear/useful) after switching to in-car and noting I can see my co-driver's feet as things are (definitely don't see passenger's feet looking ahead in a real car). Seems generally slower feeling though so it's probably still a better FoV than default hood cam was.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

OhsH posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/sa_ohsh hi im actually going to stream this for the first time in a long time thanks.

edit: finished now but is the dirty goons league still a thing?? we should do a 1970s session so i can drive in the only car i am good in. stratos for lyfe.
Watched for a bit and it was amusing watching someone else crash for a change. It also worked out that we could only hear you when you weren't accelerating since those were probably the choice frustrated moments post-crash. :v:

The league still exists, but it's been since Rallycross being added that we last had an event set up I think. I also picked up the Stratos for my initial pass through the 70's cars and, having now driven all the 70's cars, I think it's my least favorite (granted I didn't try it again when checking out the others... revised handling with last patch might've made it better) just because how unstable it is (short wheelbase, RWD rally car :argh:).

Jehde posted:

I think the custom championships are a nice compromise. If you want to drive a specific stage you can still just create a custom event however you want. You can also just abandon a custom championship if it's not what you want, they don't affect your ranked season placing at all so it's safe to just DNF it. The custom championship is there to add a way to still progress, albeit with a bit less earnings, while playing in however big of chunks you want. It would be kinda dumb to let you drive just any stage and make just as much money for doing so. The real money is in the full ranked championships, especially hillclimb and rallycross.
Their announcement on Custom Championship said they'd reward you fairly per distance.* Doing 1/10 the distance for 1/50 the reward doesn't add up; I legitimately think they screwed up the math. I'm pretty sure they have a # of events/5 they shouldn't have in there when giving the reward; for example, if I made one with 5 events and 6 stages apiece (half a normal Masters, 50% reward level), it should be 500,000 credit potential (100,000 per rally), so 1/2 distance for 1/2 credits like it should be. That's where my gripe lies: their math seems like it only adds up correctly if you have 5 events. I haven't tested it yet, but, theoretically, 5 events at 1 stage apiece has a much higher credit potential (83,000, 8.3% Reward; 16,600 per event) than 1 event with 6 stages (20,000, 10% Reward) despite being 1/12 the distance vs. 1/10. I'll have to run that test, but if that's true then their math is literally flawed.

Good point that there's no punishment for abandoning, but, per that point, they should also just let you choose location because if you want a specific location then make, abandon, repeat till desired result is just unnecessary tedium. I can understand not allowing picking of stages since you could cherry pick only short/personal best ones.

It's true that Hillclimb and Rallycross are the real money makers, but Custom Championship should still reward you appropriately for distance like they said it would; it clearly did not in my test case of 1/10 distance, 1/50 reward.

* "This will mean that you can set up an event that suits the amount of time you have available and get rewarded accordingly." - Patch Notes, emphasis mine

bUm fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 7, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

bUm posted:

I also picked up the Stratos for my initial pass through the 70's cars and, having now driven all the 70's cars, I think it's my least favorite (granted I didn't try it again when checking out the others... revised handling with last patch might've made it better) just because how unstable it is (short wheelbase, RWD rally car :argh:).

That's where my gripe lies: their math seems like it only adds up correctly if you have 5 events. I haven't tested it yet, but, theoretically, 5 events at 1 stage apiece has a much higher credit potential (83,000, 8.3% Reward; 16,600 per event) than 1 event with 6 stages (20,000, 10% Reward) despite being 1/12 the distance vs. 1/10. I'll have to run that test, but if that's true then their math is literally flawed.
Follow up to two fronts of my previous post:
Lancia Stratos still as finicky/unstable as ever, but was definitely a quick little bugger though (especially around the hairpins on Greece) when you can keep it facing the way you want it. Fun, but I think my personal 70's favorites are Kadett (on road) and Fiat (off road) for putting up good times whilst not also having to fight the car at every turn (and some straights to boot :shobon:).

:spergin: You do in fact get 16,666 credits per event for a five event, single stage Custom Master Championship so they screwed up the math. So, to recap: 5 event, 1 stage has a stated reward of 8% and you get 16,666 per "event" aka stage (so, 83,330 potential total; a proper 8% of the possible 1,000,000, within rounding error) and 1 event, 6 stages has a stated reward of 10% and you get 20,000 for the one event (so not 10% of the possible 1,000,000, but a mere 2%). They set it up to only multiply the Reward multiplier against the per rally incomes (200,000 potential for a Master of 12 stages) instead of the whole (1,000,000 for Master over 5 events) so it's inaccurately rewarding unless you do a five event championship. So currently you get a little over four times the credits for a shorter (per # of stages) championship if you configure towards limiting cases. :monocle:

That testing conducted, I should probably go post on their forums (if someone hasn't already) to get it fixed because I'm now confident it's a bug/bad math and not working as intended.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Continuing to probe the Custom Championship feature, I found a way to make fat stacks of credits faster than ever before. Make a Custom Hillclimb, make it four events of one stage each at Master difficulty, and reap in the massive credits per time because it doesn't force it to be mandatory full climb stages like Master does in the standard Hillclimb Championships (I got Stage 3 Paved, Stage 3 Mixed, Stage 3 Paved for the three "events" I did). I wasn't getting first place because I just bought the Audi (first against Master AI isn't working out heavy 200 pounds and short 100 HP), but I was making ~150k credits in 3~3.5 minutes (abandoning run on the second run since my first ones were as competitive as I was going to get unupgraded); think first place should be ~175k credits per 3~3.5 minutes.

I didn't test it, but it looks like a Custom Rallycross should also feasibly give more credits faster than the standard Rallycross/WRX Championship with it showing it giving 100% reward for shorter heats/semis/finals than the 4/6/6 of default.

Also finally got a glimpse of some Finland between my 5 event, 1 stage and dailies. Seems pretty accurate to my assessment of it being a faster Wales that tries to buck you off with jumps and high speed instead of bumpy/technical racing surface. Which is to say: way more cool than Wales and also much more dangerous if you aren't careful. Next I play I'll probably snag a 2000's car finally and hopefully get to see the full 12 stages of Finland (until it ends up being the 5th event and I don't actually see it for awhile anyway :smithicide:) forging ahead into a full championship.

njsykora posted:

Turn on ABS and auto shift, set traction control and stability control to 3 each, then just increase those if you feel you need it. Keep auto launch off though, since that's just holding down a button at the start and gives a 17% credit boost.
Agree with this except keeping TC and SC on; I feel they made driving actually harder in low-grip conditions (gravel, ice, wet tarmac... so basically everywhere except Germany in the dry and half of Monaco) because it felt like it really hindered your ability to go and stay sideways around corners which not only costs a ton of speed, but can also leave you sliding off the racing surface when it attenuates too much power and that power would've been enough to keep you on. You can test around, but I found going without TC/SC pretty manageable with a controller and you get a credit bonus to boot. Without TC/SC, you'll have to learn to have a bit of a deft touch on the throttle with RWD cars (Lancia Stratos and Lancia 037 being the toughest by far) to keep from spinning, but otherwise you should be good since FWD/4WD aren't liable to spin round from excess gas and, if anything, you'll do better with them thanks to better throttle management skills.

The only other big tip I can think of off hand for a new player is: use hood cam. Hood cam helps a ton with placing the car more aggressively in turns which is a huge part of rally racing and ought to pay massive dividends in both ease of driving (better visibility of hazards in front of you) and performance over trying to chase cam it. I'd say driver cam is better still because the awareness it gives with regards to what the rear end end of the car is up to (albeit at the cost of frontal visibility), but that might be a bit too far into "intense simulation" territory.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Finally went manual transmission after getting super annoyed with the automatic doing dumb as poo poo shifts* in my upgrading the Hillclimb Audi. Managed to cut ~3 seconds in just the first sector of the 3rd stage of Pike's (a ~50 second span) with manual due to all the hairpins that were drastically faster in second gear.

I occasionally found myself flopping like a fish out of water because of a shift and/or handling mishap (initially staying on the road proved problematic when paying attention to shifts), but when I don't mess up majorly I am definitely going faster than I was with automatic (usually proportional to how many hairpins... more hairpins = more time improvement). Will take some practice to be confident always using it, but it's a lot less intimidating than I assumed based on how often the automatic was shifting since you can often leave it alone for reasonable stretches of time. Was definitely tougher doing the dailies with the 60's Lancia because the engine is so wimpy it can be tough to tell when it's appropriate to shift because the RPMs are weak all around (and there's no shift indicator light[s] that I saw).

All in all, seems like it's a good transition to make. It definitely meets my expectation of it being rather complicated to focus on precise steering, precise throttle/brake, and shifting all at the same time though; seems like manual with a wheel w/ paddles (maybe even a stick) would be a lot easier since you have a lot more range of motion for both steering and throttle/brake so doing another task is less of a distraction (never mind that you're also using feet to take some burden off doing all three with your hands).

* Shifting to first every hairpin (first gear seems useless in many cars except if you find yourself at a dead stop outside the start line where you're handbrake starting); upshifting right before a fast turn so you have no power for a bit; downshifting sometimes when I'm full throttle because for a microsecond I dropped below its shift threshold thanks to climbing a hill.

bUm posted:

Continuing to probe the Custom Championship feature, I found a way to make fat stacks of credits faster than ever before. Make a Custom Hillclimb, make it four events of one stage each at Master difficulty, and reap in the massive credits per time because it doesn't force it to be mandatory full climb stages like Master does in the standard Hillclimb Championships (I got Stage 3 Paved, Stage 3 Mixed, Stage 3 Paved for the three "events" I did).
Turns out I found a way to make it more lucrative still: if you "Abandon Run" on the second run it takes away your no restart bonus, but if you abandon on the first run it does not so I started just abandoning the first run as soon as I left the gate. The 133% Reward for doing 4 events (it sticks with the same stage for all four bouncing back and forth between mixed and paved) applies to both the base and bonus earnings such that first place nets (+/- based on your Preferences; - if not first place) ~218,000 credits per event, in the ideal case, which only take ~3 minutes (unless RNG gives the full stage... in which case ~9 minutes); you earn ~equal credits to first place in a full 12 stage Master rally that takes ~45 minutes. :laugh:

On the one hand, it is repetitive, but Hillclimb cars take stupidly long to upgrade (gets repetitive regardless) so you might as well make bank in the process. Found myself soaring to over 10 million credits and the drat car still isn't fully upgraded yet.** :smith:

** Screw getting/upgrading the Hillclimb 205 unless they add a new hill to climb; 1.9 cars upgraded has been more than enough of Pike's Peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Finally snagged the 2001 Impreza last night after finishing out my Audi Hillclimb upgrading. It felt so calm and controlled on Germany that I only had one serious accident in 12 stages (I don't recommend driving on grass at over 100 MPH :v:). On the other hand, it was also slow as gently caress compared to the Master AI; I think I got in the green for two sectors of the entire 12 stages. :smith: Not sure if it's just exceptionally bad without upgrades (~70 HP [~23%] short, 200+ pounds heavy), the Master AI is extra tough in 2001's, or both, but I only managed 4th (~3.5 minutes off first) and that was thanks to two AI wrecking (usually flirting with 2nd/3rd in most classes unupgraded, not 6th/7th). Hopefully it's just lacking upgrades, but it was still a little demoralizing to be so drastically off the pace when putting up mistake-free runs.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

How are 4WD rally cars supposed to be set up to handle? I tried the Group A Subaru but the default settings make it drive like a boat in pretty much any situation. Not sure if it's supposed to be more like a FWD car where it slides around when you let off the throttle, or the other way around. Or if it's supposed to understeer at all times and you just drive it with the hand brake.

I think part of the problem is that driving the Stratos for a while ruined any sense of reference I have for how the other cars are supposed to drive.
Part of your problem might be that Group B and Group A haven't been updated to their new model for handling (and other) characteristics so they might feel a bit different than other cars even aside from drivetrain.

Other than that, 4WD is kind of the best of both worlds: it lift off oversteers like a FWD (and, correspondingly, understeers some under throttle like a FWD) or you can maintain a good angle and keep hard on the throttle to push/pull yourself through a turn depending on what circumstances dictate. I dare say sometimes the 4WD's can be boring with how easily they tackle things when properly configured.

Pretty sure the Group A Subaru is among several 4WD cars where the Default setup (notoriously on Greece) tends to understeer pretty hard and you should play with the settings a bit towards things that help oversteer/turning per their setup hints (I find a slight negative toe on the front wheels helps a lot when it's failing to turn in well, if you have advanced tuning unlocked). Alternatively, just make due because next patch will bring Group B/A up to the new vehicle models and wipe all your old setups for them anyway.*

In terms of handbrake use: I use the handbrake less than I do in FWD (most hairpins/acutes, occasional right angles/1's), but more than I do in RWD (almost never). Which is to say: I usually only use the handbrake with 4WD when I get a poor setup (either not braking early enough and needing to help stop/change direction or with a bad [not turning in] angle due to a turn right before the hairpin) going into a hairpin/acute and the front won't be coming around as hoped because of it.

I find there's a period of adapting whenever I swap to a different drivetrain because the three do all drive notably different; RWD is definitely the most jarring to transition to/from for me.

* Most of the Default setups on revised cars seem far better to me so hopefully the Defaults won't be liable to understeer badly after next patch.

• Locked thread