Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Welcome to the Dirt Megathread, here we drive cars through mud and crash into trees. So many trees...

Officially the evolution of the Colin McRae Rally series, Dirt expanded the CMR mainstay race types of rally, rally, rally, rally and rally to include Rally Raid, Rallycross and Hillclimb events. It was very good and provided a new base to build on as the WRC got more and more stale and boring (thanks Sebastian) and people started to lose interest in rally. It also better reflected McRae's career at the time, as he was competing in Dakar rally raids and the X-Games having left full time rallying.

Sadly a day after the release of the PS3 version of Dirt in Europe, Colin McRae, his son and 2 friends were killed in a helicopter crash. Dirt 2 added Landrush to the circuit racing options and replaced Hillclimb with Trailblazer (effectively the same thing but not always up a hill). The game also brought the Flashback feature, which had debuted in Codemasters' other racing series Grid, to the Dirt series. The part everyone probably remembers most however is the excellent tribute to Colin that ended the game.

Colin McRae's name came off the series for Dirt 3 and things started to go downhill. More ideas were taken from Grid including getting sponsors for your team but really this game is most notorious for one thing. Gymkhana. Having been popularised by Ken Block in the time between Dirt 2 and 3, Gymkhana was effectively a drifting challenge and while beloved by some people was despised by those who were here for the racing and didn't want to do incredibly fiddly drift challenges as part of the career mode.

Dirt gets EXTREEEEEEEEEME. Showdown doubled down on the Gymkhana stuff with an entire 'Hoonigan' class of events. It did however include destruction derby races and arena so wasn't a complete lost cause.

With everything having gotten a bit out of hand Dirt Rally was a much needed return to basics and was announced less than 30 minutes before being put up on Steam as an early access game. A new simulation-based physics model, focus on rally and the introduction of historic rally cars got it an immediate audience. The addition of Rallycross with an official FIA World Rallycross licence and the Pikes Peak hillclimb added some diversions. Mostly though the game got a repuation for punishing difficulty with the handling model and stage design making it very easy for new players (and old players) to throw cars into trees. It's a very good game.

Dirt 4 expands on Dirt Rally's simulation handling model but also adds in an arcade handling mode more similar to Dirt 3. It also adds in 3 more World Rallycross tracks and brings back Landrush to race trucks, buggies and the awesome Crosskarts around. Gymkhana is also semi-returned with block smash and time attacks, however this time these are split off into their own mini-campaign rather than being forced into the career mode. The big feature however is the Your Stage creation tool for rallying, giving the game a theoretical 100,000+ possible stages. However the game doesn't have any current WRC cars, instead having the lower level R4 cars as its most modern class.

Seriously, don't cut.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wegee posted:

Absolutely adore this game. Not sure if I want to spend 220 bucks for a g27 wheel, especially if it's only for this game, but it sure tempts me.

The audio of the co-driver as he calls out his pace notes is my favorite part I think. Nothing better than being told to be brave as you take a turn.

Edit: As someone who sucks, does anyone who's very experienced with the game mind writing down which cars to use in each class for those of us who haven't invested enough time to really get a feel for each one?

First off get a wheel if you feel tempted and can afford one, wheels and pedals make not just this game but most other racing games way more fun. I have a G27 and love it. As for cars I use the Lancia option in every class that has one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

It is worthy of adoration.

I tried each one I was considering buying in career in a Custom Event first (same stage, see what felt good and what put down better times) and would recommend that. Failing that, the most HP per kg is usually a strong bet for it being strong in class (unless it's really close to others, in which case you'll need to flip a coin or test drive to see which feels better to you).

Alternatively, once you reach Clubman level you'll be bringing in 60k credits per rally so you'll basically be done with money trouble and can just buy everything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jehde posted:

I still have troubles believing this game is a thing sometimes. It's more than I could ever ask for in a rally game. You might wanna add the state of the FFB in the OP. Currently they've released their first FFB patch which fixes a lot, but it still isn't ideal yet. There's a mod floating around that makes the patch even better supposedly.

Yeah I was considering putting that mod in since I use it myself.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SealHammer posted:

Germany having grip is a dangerous myth to perpetuate since you're constantly in an off-camber or downhill turn. It's too tempting to just stand on the throttle and fly into a bush when the track disappears out from under you.

Tarmac roads have loads of grip and there is never any danger of going off the road.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

Goon League: out of curiosity since I haven't played in awhile, did they make it no longer count down stages on your Career crews' contracts when doing online leagues yet? Seemed kind of dumb to cost career-mode money doing something that has no potential to yield money.

Rest: :ohdear:

I think any stage you run in any mode will run down your crew contracts, since miles driven outside career also go towards unlocking their perk slots I think.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

pik_d posted:

Yes, also I've heard him say "don't cut, be brave".

Be brave is my favourite note, basically I know it doesn't look like we can take this flat out but just trust me OK? He also stumbles over the pace notes occasionally which I like since it happens rarely enough to be charming without becoming annoying.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

I feel like I'll pass on manual clutching when making the jump (assuming it's optional). I've definitely seen possible gains in Dirt Rally with manual transmission (various points when the auto shifts when it shouldn't [that long, straight climbing hill on Greece where it keeps hopping up-gear/down-gear/up-gear/etc. :argh:]), but manual clutch just seems tedious and hand-straining (for little discernible benefit since even if transitioning to a wheel like I might at some point since it'd be a pedal).

I was torn between using A/X and LB/RB though so maybe this leverages A/X.

I always use auto-clutch in every racing game but you should really learn to manual shift, when I first started doing it I was cutting about 2-3 seconds off my normal lap times in some games. It also makes for faster starts in this game because the auto shift stays in first a ridiculously long time at the start.

E: Well this is interesting, they just announced on the Dirt blog that they have the FIA World Rallycross licence, so the rallycross tracks and cars coming in this month's content update are going to be the tracks used in that series. There's a little preview video here of the series drivers playing.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 9, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Stuff like that makes me sad I can't get Eurosport right now, though it does confirm my belief that lower level/feeder series' are always better than the top level in any motorsport.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 12, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SealHammer posted:

The Stratos is objectively the best car in the game, alongside the 037.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

pik_d posted:

You have a co-driver which reads out pace notes. I wouldn't even call it AI since it's just "call this note at this position on track".

There's a PvP update scheduled for this month, but right now the only thing you can do vs other humans is essentially the daily/weekly/monthly events (which are global), or leagues (against whoever is in said league), which are just "do a good time and compare it to others".

You can see the goon league here: https://www.dirtgame.com/leagues/league/13996/dirtygoons

The actual physical online racing is going to be in Rallycross which is due for release within the next few days. They've actually missed their deadline for it but no-one's really complaining because unlike the F1 2015 community the Dirt fans seem to be generally cool as poo poo.

E: I fiddled with the OP a bit and finally updated the FFB mod link. I also like the UI.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 2, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So I spent a little bit of time throwing the Rallycross cars around Lydden Hill Junior (specifically the VW Golf) and this is very much full-contact motorsport. As they admitted the AI is a bit slow, once I had a handle on the track I could crash fairly badly and still recover to a win. In career you have open-professional levels of Rallycross advancing through like normal but the actual FIA WRX championship is considered the Legend difficulty. Rallycross cars are all 350,000cr so up there with the 2010s rally cars. The most interesting thing to me is that they've given your crew chief a voice to give advice during races like in the F1 games like when you should take the joker and when your opponents are taking it.

Also don't try and race directly behind a group in front, the dust they kick up gives you no vision whatsoever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Spaced God posted:

Speaking of awesome rally-related youtube videos, I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETUkSlvlp78

McRae is a god and I wish a game had X-Games style stadium rally. Codies need to get on that poo poo because I don't think anything like that was ever in the DIRT games.

Meanwhile after driving around Wales and Germany with it, I've finally come to realise why the E30 is so beloved, christ is that thing fun to throw around.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Is the soft lock option in advanced wheel settings new? Because I've only just noticed it after seeing someone talk about setting up unsupported wheels with the game after the latest patch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DING DING IT'S UPDATE TIME!! V0.7 WRX Multiplayer is now live! Here's the basic changes. Big stuff is more RX cars, rain in RX races, AI improvements based on the times people were putting in and changes to the off-track timer. Update is an almighty 3.4gb.

quote:

-A new World RX track - Hell, Norway
-New Rallycross drivers including, Liam Doran and Petter Solberg
-Wet weather for all Rallycross tracks
-Three new cars: DS3, MINI Countryman Rallycross and Subaru WRX STI
-Brand new Wager Daily Event
-Some new advanced gamepad options
-Added a “Very Early” option for your Co-Driver calls
-A frankly amazing set of Hints and Tips for you to read during loading screens
-Removed the additional time penalty when the Off Track Reset Countdown expires and upped the limit on the timer
-We’ll now show you your 'Fastest lap' onscreen for an entire Rallycross Event
-Clutch Override which will give you the ability to use your clutch to override the automatic gearbox clutch

Full changelog is here, also it's not mentioned in the changelog but I'm assuming multiplayer has been added for rallycross races given this is the RX Multiplayer update.

E: Online rallycross is the exact crashfest you'd expect if you've done any online racing at all. Events are 3 races on one layout of each location. So the series I just did was Lydden Hill Junior, Holjes Full and then Hell Full. No heats or semis, just one race with the people in the lobby split into races according to their standings. Also you can earn credits from racing, though not much. Those 3 races I did got me about 10,000Cr. You can also do custom championships if you want to just race with friends, so we might try and get a race night together at some point.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 25, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a patch coming out sometime this week (v0.71 number fans) to fix and add a few things. Private lobbies for online rallycross is the big thing so we should try and get a Gooncross session going at some point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

After doing way too much Rallycross to be ready for goon rallycross that never happened (:smithcloud:)

My apologies there, I've basically been working non-stop since that last patch came out to the point where I've barely done any rally at all. I do still want to do it though, possibly as a pre-game event to the new Gooncar series the iRacing crew are starting this weekend. What times work for people?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

I haven't played this in a while, is the FFB mod still recommended?

Yeah, every update brings FFB tweaks and it is improving but the mod is still better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Just 4.7 Great British Gigabytes stand between you and DIRT RALLY 0.8!!

There isn't a changelog up yet because it literally just started downloading for me!

E: Changelog time, big changes are:

- FINLAND! 12 stages, 8 sprint 4 full you know how this works by now.
- The Subaru Impreza 2001 and Ford Focus RS Rally 2001, both forming the new 2000s vehicle class.
- Custom championships! Set your own championship length in events and stages, set the AI difficulty and actually earn career credits for it.
- Mouse support in menus!
- 60s, 70s, 80s, 2010s and RWD cars have all had their physics reworked, but the latest Road Book blog gave warning that this might have negatively affected their FFB. This'll be fixed when the rest of the cars get the new physics model.
- Replays now wrap around, so you can rewind from the start to watch the end of the stage.
- You can now invite people from your Steam friend list into PVP lobbies.

Here's the rest of the little changes and fixes.

quote:

-The audio FX levels for the surfaces and kick up have been brought back so that you can hear all that gravely goodness.
- We sent our Rallycross AI drivers to the opticians so that they can now see when they need to avoid other cars when they are approaching the joker entrance. Now that they can see better they are also setting faster laps.
- We’ve fixed the camera clipping in certain camera angles when you changed the Field of View.
- We’ve made some Hyper threading fixes that should now prevent those annoying stuttering issues that some of you were having.
- We’ve stopped the Engineer contract lengths and costs from being affected when competing in league events.
- Toggling Push to Talk or enabling/disabling voice communications through the pause menu is now actually working.
- The Reset Timer has now been increased to 15 seconds when attempting to get back on track. I know we said that before but this time it is actually in.
- Cars will no longer roll over on the start in PVP races, ROFL.
- We’ve made sure that the cars are visible on the start line even when collisions are turned off in PVP – they will still ghost during the race though.
- Your PVP opponents won’t be showboating and driving around with the handbrake on anymore.
- The gear setup will no longer be changing between stages without a service area.
- We’ve fixed those odd camera angles that were being used in spectate mode.
- The miles driven using owned vehicles in PVP now accrue towards unlocking upgrades for that vehicle.
- When viewing a replay using an interior camera, the speedometers now show the correct speed for all vehicles.
- We’ve fixed a whole host of other stuff too but they were too boring to call out in this list.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 30, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

One more thing, remember that with every update the price of the game gets a little bump. I bought in for £22.50 in the first week and it's now £33. Though it's also 15% off this week to celebrate the update.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Triple A posted:

Lines that you take on the road. Where you are three seconds later is far more important than where you are now.

Where I am 3 seconds later is usually the line of trees.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

In other news, I noticed a curiosity glancing at Custom Championship: is it for real that you get more reward for doing one on easier difficulties? I checked out creating one for all three options and every one increased the reward for making it longer (more events, more stages/laps, etc.) which seemed logical, but the reward multiplier was the highest for Open difficulty (300% for rally) and lowest for Master (100%). Has anyone completed a Custom to confirm this? Does the higher reward multiplier grow with you (AKA it's highest for Open the first time, then moves on as you climb the rungs so eventually Master yields the highest reward)?

I think the multiplier is for the credits you'd get at that difficulty. So an 8 stage championship would give double credits at open difficulty since it's double length, but normal credits at professional where that's the normal length. The higher difficulty still gives more money though, roughly 80k vs 150k.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

YEAH!

There's a really interesting bit about how they record the pace notes for the game in the newest Road Book blog, it basically boils down to they have a motion sim seat hooked up for the pace notes dude to sit in while someone else drives the stage. Though apparently they record multiple sets of pace notes for each stage so the delivery can be different depending on your speed. Also I added an essential mods bit to the OP with the McRae/Grist skin and the improved camera pack I've started using.

Also I want more than just my wrecks in the OP, so if you have an awesome wreck please screenshot it and post it.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 5, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Amazing

E: Speaking of amazing, I spent some time fiddling in the game's files to sort my FOV out and now the cockpit camera is pretty great.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 5, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I just picked this game. Where is the sweet spot for a novice with regard to assists? I'm never going to use a wheel and don't want an intense simulation.

Turn on ABS and auto shift, set traction control and stability control to 3 each, then just increase those if you feel you need it. Keep auto launch off though, since that's just holding down a button at the start and gives a 17% credit boost.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Keket posted:

Controller deadzone settings and stuff help a ton too, but i'd advice using manual and even possibly manual with clutch, made me feel like i have a ton more control over the car, and being able to not have the auto gearbox shift halfway through a corner and bog down is nice.

I've never been able to shift manually with a controller, and when I first got this game I just set my assists like that and jumped in. You can obviously adjust assists on and off and change transmission if you want to over time, but the game is just fine to play with a controller right out of the box. I think if someone has no interest in playing the game sim-style, they're certainly not going to want to have to deal with adjusting deadzones.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I did a full Finland run and got the Spirit of the Rally achievement. Think my wheels, driveshaft, engine, suspension and radiator were all heavily damaged. My radiator was at 0% in the 3rd service area.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Does Dirt Rally work with a Dual Shock 4 controller? Can I just plug it in and start using it?

I haven't tried it but it works just fine with an Xbox One controller so I'd assume so.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I got it all setup with my Dual Shock 4. Thanks guys. :D I've been wanting to play Dirt Rally for so long and I just got a GTX 970 yesterday so decided to finally it.

Great! The game is super pretty with everything cranked way up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Google Butt posted:

How's ffb now? Do I still need to mod it or what

Yes, but you should probably still mod it because not all the cars have gotten the v2 physics and the ffb improvements they bring.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Sooo... is Dirtygoons dead??

I've been thinking about this, if it is I'm probably gonna make a new league.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jehde posted:

Post your codemasters player ID and I'll make you a manager.

1497134 is it I believe.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jehde posted:

Uh the name you used to join the league.

E: That works I guess, promoted.

Cool, I'll set up a new season tomorrow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK, put together a quick season. Should go live in about an hour.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Done my run of the league rally, finished in not-last place. At Greece I'll take that. Germany in the Stratos should be much more my style.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Skwee posted:

I retried my run but using manual instead of automatic (both runs had no assists unless you consider automatic an assist.) my manual run (2nd) put me in 9th where as my automatic (1st) put me in 8th. I'll probably just stick with 9th.

Also, does each split section represent a certain distance? Some stages have more and some have less, so I am wondering if it is a set distance that I could judge how long a stage may be.

Not really, but you'll know a stage length by its splits. Sprint stages have 4, full stages have 8.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Did this, kinda hoping they have some way of finding and humiliating anyone who says they want gymkhana in any future Dirt games. I'm kinda hoping they start running Dirt like Forza works right now, you get Motorsport and Horizon alternating years. I'd like to see a Dirt 4 keeping the fun of that series before we get a Dirt Rally 2. That they're going out and asking about the future of Dirt though makes me happy that Dirt has a future.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I cannot handle the Stratos in the rain.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bsamu posted:

Yeah, it was probably a poor choice for this week, oops. There's a few REALLY fast straights that turn into decreasing radius turns and they get hairy in the rain as you struggle to slow down and keep the rear wheels behind the front wheels.

Control wasn't an issue, I loaded my Germany setup preset from when I was running the Stratos in career and that setup is very not good. Like going from 1st to 5th in under 10 seconds bad. I got a couple of corners in before realising wherever I was going I was not going to get there fast in a car that topped out on revs after 100m and couldn't brake for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

quaunaut posted:

Did the first two stages for this week's dirtygoons. The people at the top- are you normally in master tier? If so, I'm feeling pretty good, 'cause only being 20 seconds behind while having spun out twice on the second stage feels good. Even the rain stage I did pretty well, though I was way too scared of the rain. Oh well.

I'm not in love with the Stratos on pavement. It's got the same power problems as when it's on dirt, but now you lose the ability to ice skate with it, and instead just have to drive so technically. It's fine, but not a favorite role of the car.

If I do another all-tarmac rally for the next season I'll probably make it the F2's, because those things can go stupidly fast on the tarmac and on tarmac you want to be able to go stupidly fast.

• Locked thread