Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Have most people moved to Dirt 4?

I'm only just getting into Dirt Rally but oh man this is the poo poo.

I'm bad but I'm getting better. Just finished my first couple stages without any car damage at all, getting some decent times.

Unfortunately I'm a bit salty because my session today ended with some kind of weird wheel error where the feedback would push the wheel all the way to the right no matter what I did, and then trying to turn the wheel off and on just made the game say "controller not detected" and fail to detect it so I had to quit out. To be fair, I think the bug happened because I went off-course and reset while the wheel was all the way to the side or something like that, so I just gotta git gud and stop crashing.

Its really incredible how different every car feels to drive, more so than any racing game I've played before. Doesn't hurt that I'm using a Fanatec wheel and a VR headset though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GutBomb posted:

I think you were actually experiencing some steering damage from going off the course. When steering or suspension gets hosed up it can pull the wheel in a certain direction.

I wasn't just pulling though, it was straight up locked completely to the left. I mean, maybe, but if the steering is THAT jacked up it should just call it and force retire because it was literally impossible to drive. I was worried I might break my wheel just trying to force it to turn any at all.

But either way, goin' off course is bad so just gotta get better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poo poo, my wheel is STILL doing it, so its not even the game at this point. Going to have to re-calibrate it or something, ugh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2

Had to fully re-flash the firmware to get the calibration to fix, but its good now, back to normal. Should dial down the force feedback a bit, I pushed it up to 100% but I used to run it at 50-70 and I've heard that's a good idea to avoid issues.

Bought a Lancia Stratos in career mode and I'm loving how this thing handles. I have way more experience with RWD than FWD. Next I'll probably save up for the BMW, and then a Subie.

Did a bunch of stages today and I'm definitely getting much better. Managed to place at least 3rd every time, although I'm racing against CPU open noobs. Should rank up and get into the next class after this championship.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Did some fantastic stages in the Lancia Stratos, love that RWD. Earned enough to buy the BMW but I'm gonna stick to the Lancia until the end of this championship.

Tried moving up rallycross from the mini to the Peugeot and drat rallycross gets hard fast. I was doing okay in the mini when everybody was slow as could be, but now that we have real engines its hard to keep up. I think I like normal rally driving better anyways though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wish Dirt 4 had VR support

The callouts in Rally are giving me some serious issues. Sometimes I swear he says square left when its square right which is a HUGE fuckup. Probably not but the problem is some of the callouts are given too early and others too late so its really hard to guess if he's talking about this corner or the next one. You can set "earlier" or "later" callout settings but then they're all early or all late, its not fine-tune-able. You basically just have to learn the course yourself and rely on your eyes. Not always, but for hairpins or square corners, yeah. Its really bad. He doesn't seem to adjust for your speed very well.

And the thing that kills me is the callouts create little icons on your HUD, which is perfect, but as soon as he calls out a new corner the last one disappears, even if you haven't reached it yet. That's hosed.

The need to queue the icons and only clear them out when you actually pass them.

He's also way too quiet and monotone. I had to turn voice volume to 100% and everything else to 50% to make sure I can reliably hear him over engine noise. And you'd think certain things like "caution slowing right 1 crest" would get a little more excited "CAUTION SLOWING RIGHT ONE" like, dude, let me know! When its "right 6 left 6 right 5" then okay fine, monotone is great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Haha, if I go rallying IRL I'd seriously be like, dude, don't be afraid to yell at me when its a hard corner! "left 5, right 6, left 6.... RIGHT ONE RIGHT ONE RIGHT ONE!" hahaha. I know, I'm bad.

The snow banks in Sweden are pretty annoying, the physics model sometimes has you just kinda push into the snow if you go too far to the side, but other times you car just completely flips into the air. Problem with having a pretty weak damage model I guess, ideally your car would just take a ding and crumple instead, maybe lose a fender.

Then again a couple of the stages in Sweden were pretty great, mostly straight so I could get up huge speed and then the few corners I could just oversteer and push hard on the gas and drift my way around.

Cars goin' sideways :cool:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I really hate Sweden, but I love Finland. I love how you can dig the front wheel into the ditch on the inside of a corner and swing the car around.

Only clip I could find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2E3qZWOrNc&t=132s

Its just like my Japanese Animes! :swoon:

(Now I'm gonna have Running in the 90s stuck in my head all day)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I SAID DON'T CUT DIDN'T I

Seriously an angry co-driver mod would be amazing.

Thief posted:

sweden at night was the hardest thing in DR imo

it just isnt as fun to snake through low walls forever compared to clutch kicking around hairpins and taking huge jumps

Yeah exactly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

julian assflange posted:

For anyone who doesn't know what we are referring too: https://youtu.be/Nh8pSPmKupc

This is so beautiful.

TRIPLE CAUTION! Listen to me! Medium left, medium left into short---LISTEN TO MY CALLS! I'm telling you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keket posted:

They need to let you make your own voice packs.

And possibly walk the track to place your own notes.

A co-op mode where the other player only has a microphone and a sheet of paper would be pretty great too.

GTA5 lets you do that and its pretty fun even though the driving in that game sucks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a mysterious cloak posted:

which I think is actually powered by consumption of human souls.

That's Group-B Baybee

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I bought Rally a few months ago but only played on a gamepad until I picked up a T150 wheel and pedals last week.

I also talked a buddy into being my codriver, so we spent an afternoon making our own pacenotes and racing the poo poo out of it and HOLY poo poo ITS FUN. Its also surprisingly fun to be the codriver too, pretty satisfying when you can talk the driver into going flatout over a blind jumping turn and he nails it.

That's super cool, I was kinda wanting a mode where somebody else could be your co-driver. Do you just turn down the in game voice volume or talk over it or what? And How do you get the pace notes, the old fashioned way? Very cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

They should learn from the sales that people preferred the experiment to their normal game.

Yeah was about to say the same. Clearly somebody at Codemasters marketing has no idea what they're doing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stratos maybe not the fastest but the most fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dirt Rally is still one of the best VR games there is, so that alone is gonna keep people playing it

Although I guess you need a wheel to really get everything out of it and not everybody who buys a VR headset is gonna buy a wheel

• Locked thread