Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Succumbed to the rally itch, will be Dirting later tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

My son is disappointment embodied: he selected Gamer controls instead of Sim. :frogsiren:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Nice run!

I'm currently trapped in the asphalt hell of that Sealed Euro series. I'm just trying to destroy the car at this point. It's sad. Gravel, snow, no problem. Tarmac? :lol:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hahaha, I love their optimism. I had a similar stage in Wales last night, "That was perfect, almost unbeatable!" while the car was basically resting on bare metal with all the fluids pooling underneath.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

So... I've never been able to play the competitive multi-player matches, I queue up and wait for 7 other people to show up, but the most I get is one, and they give up after a minute.

Anybody else have that happen?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I do use sim handling, I guess I could change it and see if I get to play with other people or not. I played my son with gamer mode, it just felt weird after sim-style. He killed me doing a random landrush event and thought it was hilarious that I was yelling at the game because "the stupid truck handles weird!"

e: Ohhhhhhhhhh Group B weekly <3<3<3<3

Also changed the handling to gamer, actually had TWO other people lined up in matchmaking! Feels a little like cheating, but it probably saved a lot of spectator's lives with me throwing the Quattro around.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 18, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Been playing quite a bit - it's fun, but there have been more than a few stages when I feel like I'm having deja vu because "Hey, haven't I seen this descending right 1 turn before..." Super disconcerting that the reuse of sections is so obvious. I haven't bothered with multiplayer yet, is that very compelling? Because at this point I don't know how long racing for video game $ will carry me.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Humbug posted:

Cool rally video with the majority of the historic cars in the game, plus a load of other cool cars. I would love the Alpine A310 V6 as a H3 RWD model in the game. There is a pretty ridiculous Merc S class and almost all the generations of Audi Quattro up to the Pikes Peak hillclimb version. The end shot of a 205 T16 is really cool too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb6xglWpV6Y

Awesome! I showed it to my family, my son was dying laughing when the cars slammed into stuff and just kept going.

Sadistic posted:

Kind of glad though cause I really like the R5 Turbo. I've already finished the monthly, and I think I put in a fairly good time.

It's still early and there is plenty of time for people to knock me down, but i'm happy with it for now.

You make me want to puke. I barely finished the weekly with the R5, the last stage I spent actively trying to destroy the car. Co-driver was all, "Great job, well done!"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Finally murdered a car last night. I was flying full-bore along the daily challenge (Mini in Michigan), entered a turn shallow... clank. I thought for sure I could kill the R5 in the weekly challenge last week but no joy.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Heard the co-driver screw up a pace note, he was all "left 5 over bump, I... Uhhhh...." Then picked up after the missed note. Also had radio issues a week ago. Kind of cool.

That being said, I'm having way too much fun with the historic Mini. I try to drive a modern car now and I feel like I'm going 10000 mph.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Finland isn't in the game, is it? I thought it was just Sweden, which is still pretty fun, but not the same :(

The snow physics seemed... better in Dirt Rally, maybe? Or am I just imagining things? I felt like in Rally I could use the snow to slow down a little if I wanted, whereas here it seems more likely I'll either spin it or flip the car entirely. Still, Sweden is fun, particularly when you get that rhythm down and feel the car using the terrain instead of getting beaten up by it.

The bad part of me kind of wishes they would introduce a spectator casualty count :unsmigghh:

What was the mode in Dirt 2 (?) where it was basically a super high-speed run through the desert/canyons and stuff? I miss that. It horrifying and awesome.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Trailblazer, and yeah it was awesome. Definitely my favourite mode in that game. Tricked out rally cars with absolutely huge gently caress-off spoilers.

Yeaahhhhhh, that's the one! I loved Trailblazer.

I'm still having fun with D4, but like you guys have mentioned the pace notes are killing me. There's no scale-to-speed, so god forbid I go from historical FWD cars to anything modern. Just last night there were 2 distinct crashes that wouldn't have happened if I'd gotten the call a couple of seconds earlier, and would've bumped me up on the podium. Having to go into the menus to tweak the timing of the calls sucks. But still enjoying it.

Looking at getting Rally for the Xbone since my PC is rapidly dying, looks like Amazon has it for $26 on disc...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Wow, I forgot how tough Rally was. D4 is a cakewalk. But the pace notes are pretty tight and the environments seem... better? More vivid? Maybe it's just because I'm playing it on a big TV instead of a PC monitor.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I've caught up to the calls a handful of times, too - if it's an easy turn, no biggie, but forget it if it's over a crest or otherwise hidden. That's how I kill most of my spectators - slow calls from the co-driver followed by me hurtling through the cosmos at full speed. Most recently with the Audi Quattro, which I think is actually powered by consumption of human souls.

The co-driver thing that cracks me up is you can essentially bumper-car your way around a course and get "Hey, perfect run, nice job!", but I've also had solid, clean runs, moved up from say, 5th place to 1st, and you get, "We need to push harder on the next stage and gain some positions." Ummmm... what?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Quattro 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Goddammit

• Locked thread