Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Braking down hill into tight corners is somehow even more scary than IRL...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

OMG! I GET IT!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This is going to sound really gushy and cut/paste worthy but gently caress it cause I'm stoked...

I am not sure what changed across the last couple hours of playing but everything finally clicked and now its like the controller is a clawing and nose tilting device. It doesn't matter what car i'm in or what the surface is like, its just adjustments. The awful feeling where corner to corner you aren't sure what you did differently that made you turn or not slowly fades and you you don't even need to think about what you are doing, its just focusing 100% on seeing and hearing what is next. I swear it makes late calls, I've smashed quite a few times off a 6/5 which tightens to < 4 with the change called mid corner and too late.

For anyone getting into this from the start, turning off the aids is crucial, as has been mentioned. (except maybe abs and auto which ill ween off now) Took me until professional class to get there, so a fair bit of playing.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 11, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So the way to solve pace note issues and catapult this to greatest rally game of all time: move it further to the simulation side and make a pace note creation system.

This is the least effort for what the game could really use type solution:

Add co-drivers to team management with some kind of perk tie in. Add a recce option to event menu or even streamline it onto the end of shakedowns with an option like the restart/replay/etc. Skip recce/shakedown and use the basic codemaster notes or give a customizable timeline allowing you to move triggers for individual calls sooner or later visualized with your own shakedown. Save different sets of pacenotes like tuning profiles.

OR you could get really complicated and create your own notes with a speed limited recce drive using something like described at 1m24s in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7EYVJL9XU to automatically work out corner severity and maybe you hold a button during corners to work out length and press another to mark a crest/dip/jumps, pressed while holding corner button would include it in the corner note. Then you review after to tune the trigger for the notes or add in modifiers. Simple video editing software interface, video timeline is the replay with some mild augmented reality style markers, audio timeline would be all the notes synced to track position rather than time.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 12, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

On the topic of rally, this just blew my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKA9RaHW1c0

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Ive heard of the azores but I had no idea there was an island that looked like that. Its like a computer game... there is even a dirt road carved in that ridge line all the way around the island.

I want this place in the game so bad.

edit: another stage from this crazy place - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLE7Ab1BSME

Qmass fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 12, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Not mine but holy poo poo. Dyffryn Afon done fast.

Peugeot 205 T16 Evo 2 - 2:48.059 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAlQc0K3Oz8

Ford Fiesta RS - 2.55.126 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxXflS6kRVE

Qmass fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 12, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I must be the only person that hates the long stages...

so rally cross is a great change of pace. What lap times are people doing for the two full circuits? I need something to aim for while waiting on pvp.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Jehde posted:

Also Codemasters is impressed enough with Dirt Rally that they're going to port it to consoles after it's done.
If you didn't see this coming then I have some beans to sell you...

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

How are 4WD rally cars supposed to be set up to handle? I tried the Group A Subaru but the default settings make it drive like a boat in pretty much any situation. Not sure if it's supposed to be more like a FWD car where it slides around when you let off the throttle, or the other way around. Or if it's supposed to understeer at all times and you just drive it with the hand brake.

I think part of the problem is that driving the Stratos for a while ruined any sense of reference I have for how the other cars are supposed to drive.
Flicking the car into corners is important for AWD. I went from the stratos into AWD and was forever wondering why the car felt like it wouldn't turn in. Transferring weight forward coming into corners is also important. I think this video explains both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlBntwsOdA

Sort of like bUm I really only use the handbrake to turn in faster when I have missed a corner or because im feeling lazy, you can do basically all corners in this game with good setup (speed, weight transfer, positioning) rather than brute forcing it. I still use it on a lot of dirt hairpins because im bad :P

You can probably help all this with tuning but I never bother with it because I kind of enjoy adjusting to how a car drives by default.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 11, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Somehow just did 3:11 on bidno moorland in the fiesta, taking 103rd place... which shocked the poo poo out of me. Playing with game pad, I RARELY do a stage without crashing and was just taking it easy (I thought) trying to make cash to buy the new wrx. This game continues to baffle me :P

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

When you bring up the friend comparison for a stage, it also puts the global rank next to your name.

Has everyone seen this "rally driver plays dirt rally"? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xw8DJY7aZQ sounds like it was their first time playing XD

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Im sure you are better at the game than me but I was thinking while watching, I wonder if the throttle when you landed made you oversteer more + rebound harder from more weight going back and therefor more likely to roll. I feel like I would have tried handbrake there and maybe just skidded towards trees on the outside. I've found that handbraking weirdly catches a lot of oversteers, which seems counter-intuitive? I certainly wouldn't have gone for my handbrake on the road IRL...

I have spun out so many times on finland because of the unsettling on the crest before a turning crest thing. Sometimes it makes me wish the bloody fins would shell out for a couple of bulldozers to go around flattening their rural roads out.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

NO track racing game has ever come close to how awesome it feels to flat out scandi flick an open 3/4... I feel like this pretty much sums up why rally games are more fun to me. Also using power!! to turn tighter is the most manly of tactics.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

IMO Monte Carlo is over-hyped, much like other Monaco based Motorsport events. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMnvPt4oJ68 from about 8:00 is so much more exciting. Its like they paved over a dirt stage the week before the rally...

Qmass fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 19, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Someone has modded a dodge charger in - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhe3brybBFs

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

along with the dodge charger, someone has done a sega rally thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg9NnzYq8gE

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This is the Subaru I want, with the 'track' I kind of want, better in summer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKaPDP6V3g (Its tommi makinen driving around the hot version touge)

edit: check out 9:07 for a pretty good game face on moment.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 30, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

It says this is 85th in the world but it cant possibly be, beat my time goons:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

nice!

Spending about 8mins of the stage flat out, my trigger finger was starting to get bored.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I love the new handling but its such a huge downside that you can get air on so many bumps and the FFB is weak. (sometimes its almost like your nose generates lift in the air) I really hope they prioritize getting that fixed.

New cars are interesting. The straight line traction on the c4 is pretty cool, you can basically floor it in first and second without wheel spin. Haven't tried the R4 WRX but the EVOX is SUPER friendly and calm, which could be nice for the learning curve.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 2, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

haha oh god, the faster group B cars are even worse for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glQny40nOIc

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

On the dirt stream last night they said that they were in final testing for a FFB/tuning workshop style system for sharing profiles, hopefully that demystifies it some.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

quaunaut posted:

DiRT Rally: This thing is impossible. Do I need to feed it spectators?

Yes!

The 205 t16 now looks impossible to drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJSGc3PTP3k

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

alr posted:

Watching youtubes of people driving cars around courses I thought I was familiar with made me realise I have like half a second or more to make up on every corner. I was wondering how my "perfect" runs were so far off the top spots (45 seconds-ish on the 6 minute stages) until I realised just how much of the track you have to use to really keep that exit speed up
I think this is what is good about the 1960s cars. Since they accelerate poorly and can basically hold the gas full down the whole time because its not THAT fast, you have a little more time to set up your line and really flick the nose into a turn, which trains you to do the same thing with a high speed powerslide.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 5, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So have they managed to fix jumps being too big with the reduced aero downforce that came from v2 handling?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Its not the jumps that I have a problem with so much as the dumb little bumps that shouldn't be unsettling me as much as they are. It's pure laziness on my part. I got used to certain lines that I know I can't take now, I just gotta get used to eyeballing what will and wont bump me up.

In slightly less whiny news, I loving LOVE to hate how scary it is going flat out in 6th down some of the long snowy straights in Sweden. Just touching the edge of those really flat drifts is enough to virtually guarantee a spin and maybe even half a dozen barrel rolls.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This is going to be pretty whiny but I'm disappointed that the game is being frozen in this state. I'm thrilled with the driving but everything else is bad and its bad that they force you to play so much to earn the right to play what you want... even in 'multiplayer' (cant compete in an event if you haven't unlocked the car? seriously?)

Obfuscating the route to doing what you want and pretending early access development lets them off the hook on implementing features fully are like the design philosophies of this game. The community constantly asks for a rally school, it already has videos on how to drive. If there isn't a big rear end gravel lot, with some cones and some kind of graphical display showing how much throttle vs brake vs grip you are inputting so you can practice with feedback, then its just intentionally obfuscating the route to learning to drive so it takes longer. OR, "effort!". The community wants to use a mouse in menus, so CM does the barest minimum they can to check it off but you can't even get into a race with it. So much lazy implementation down the stretch, there are too many minor issues to mention. poo poo, the pace-notes still have some notes so wrong or misstimed they'll make you crash if you don't learn where they are.

The whole engineer and perk system is a pointless, punishing money sink on top of a punishing grind. Most free to play games aren't this painful and have less cynical ways to sap the funds you need to progress - perks that don't even get unlocked when you buy them, limited slots forcing you to sometimes lose perks you've bought, engineer salary and turning the amount you can repair down to basically zero if you don't (on top of taking away more money for repairs from your winnings and taking away a bonus for restarting in a punishing game where you will have to restart to progress).

If everything around the racing is this half arsed then there should be a proper custom event menu allowing you to do anything with everything and ignore the broken rear end poo poo. Why can't I drive my fiesta up pikes peak again? If CM aren't going to try to make a rewarding career then why are they expecting me to put more effort into that side of the game than they are ? I would love to do a career with one of the new 2010 VW/Hyundai but they cost 650 fucken grand. That is so much game-time just to unlock one more car when I still haven't even unlocked a central diff 2000 car. That is incredible to me... and I can't imagine how much worse it is for anyone that isn't an unemployed student that plays way more games than is healthy.

I am no god but I have a lot of free time and I can smash the community delta and even manage a competitive global time now and then

and if I have only been able to unlock a fraction of cars

1 1960
2 1970
0 1980
2 4WD B
0 RWD B
2 GRP A
0 Kit
1 R4
1 2000
1 2010
1Hillclimb
2 Rallycross

in all this

5615.4km @ 86.6km/hr = 64.8hrs of JUST DRIVING. plus the minute of loading/repairing/making sure it hasn't done something dumb with your setup for every two stages you drive and that's more time than I want to admit to anyone I know IRL. @ better $/time because I could eventually make it to master even if it took a bit.

and its not easy time. dirt rally is the most brutal racing game I have played. the concentration and effort required to be decent means its not like you can just play for 6hrs in one sitting cause you have a lazy sunday to waste.

I think you gotta conclude that the game isn't even close to finished and hopefully they will realize just how unpalatable this will be in the console market.

I would love to ask the devs when the last time any of them freshly installed the game and tried to progress the way a new player would.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 13, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Rally cars in hillclimb because, at least when I was playing a lot, the hillclimb physics did not engage me like rally does and I wanted to be able to drive the cars I enjoy up pikes peak because none of the rally stages change like it does.

entered vs. finished probably because stats were implemented in a half assed fashion and its bugged out at some point in development.

SA attitude to reddit aside, the dirt reddit is the only active community I can find for the game outside of places like racedepartment fetishists making endless skins or this thread. There is a new developer sticky each month that gets rallyschool posts and a positively received rallyschool thread every other week in general, enough for them to address the need for help learning to play publicly...

You can't deny the game would hugely benefit from it. I had to do bloody rallycross, where I could do the same corner over and over while still remembering the last time I did it so I could get the right brake and gas pressure/feel down to the point I could stay on the limit and practice poo poo without fear of loving up my multi-hour investment in a career season and bombing below progression placement. poo poo, if you try to go back down the course far enough to get up to race speed to retry a corner you crashed on, the fucken game puts up a 10s timer before it disqualifies you WHY ON EARTH?!

and does how you get around something change that a requested feature was poorly implemented ?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 13, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

The workshop tuning is a godsend.

I found this user's general-tarmac RS fiesta tune because its on the front page with 4 stars but all of their setups (one for each event in the fiesta, some general setups for the new WRC cars and a couple other random things ) seem like massive improvements over stock, from what I have tried. I'm actually having to adjust to how much faster the fiesta can accelerate in a straight line with a proper diff setup.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/job3k/myworkshopfiles/?appid=310560

Interested in what some more knowledgeable people think.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Shine posted:

If you're using a gamepad, map shifting to the right thumbstick. It feels way cooler than pressing buttons.
How do you handbrake and shift? I guess you could use stick-in but as a long time PC gamer I can't ever press it in without it feeling wonky as poo poo.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Using a gamepad without clutching I guess i'm just too comfortable shifting with A/X and rolling the knuckle to B to handbrake. I have previously tried using the thumbstick for handbrake so its closer to the handbrakes you see in rallying but I just hated how much longer it took to move between. When I think about it, obviously I am not shifting while the handbrake is engaged.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Quick question: Am I supposed to be going all Tokyo drift and taking corners sideways? I kept trying to do the hand brake drift a la burnout paradise but only managed to crash every single time I tried that,

Hairpin turns can go suck a dick though.
IMO, the bible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlBntwsOdA

quote:

ended up trying to get a racing line of sorts by slowing down before corners harder than, say 5.
If you were still on the brake a little bit as or just before you turned in, this is actually how you weight transfer which is crucial to turning, especially in the 4WD cars that will feel dead if you aren't loading the front with some brake. See video above.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 16, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Good review from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3Qc6KQ3YM

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

starting at 1 min 30 could be some of the coolest real life is like a computer game footage ive seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EojvVMoqN0&t=90s

edit: actually this whole video is gold.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 31, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

3hrs into first steering wheel trip report:

not as fast as gamepad yet but everyone is so right when they say its more fun. I miss how strongly a gamepad rumbles with tyre slip and I think that is the main culprit as far as time goes because I am MUCH MUCH cleaner with the wheel, just never quite on the limit of acceleration... yet.

What is the situation with logitech wheel FFB profiles? Is there a clearly superior option around yet ?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Got the real rally driver FFB (which kicks arse btw), got my monitor up on some books so its in a position that roughly approximates the scale of the game with real life and I can almost forget im playing a game. Its made judging distances and speed so much easier. Before, with a gamepad, I was never sure if the amount of input was what I was going to want, now I feel like I know when I turn in how far to turn the wheel. I can't quite manage exactly what I want each time yet but for two days in and the first time using the s4 I am SO loving HYPED for this game all of a sudden.

This is the 3rd stage in wales after doing 3 in finland. (quick round the world to get used to the car) I smashed real good earlier and understeered into a couple of those cresting 2s in the woods and after repairing a popped tyre around half way I ended up just 1:35 off first place in master. What is the tyre penalty anyway? About 1:25?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua4Ek0_J_Mw

tl;dr if you don't have a wheel yet, skip a few meals and get one.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 4, 2016

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I cant believe how much easier this game is with a drat wheel. First time on a Finnish stage in a 3/5 focus rs 2001. As always, I cant drive for poo poo at high speed and its a little shaky at first but I end up nearly 4 seconds in front on master and top 800 globally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQ5EaCsMpQ

Ill stop spamming poo poo now... None of my friends play racing games so I have nobody else to gush to :(

edit:

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 4, 2016

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

How exactly does soft lock work? Before I read about it I thought it was just letting you change how hard the lock (that you set in the profiler) was so you didn't break your wrists quite as much when you hit it but it sounds more like it automatically changes the rotation car to car? I gotta imagine modern rally cars are setup so they can essentially go lock to lock by letting go with one hand to get the last bit... Something around 540? Is there any way to check them so I can get a better idea of what rotation I actually want to try and set in the profiler?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

The steering wheel can rotate violently if a crash turns the front wheels. Lots of pro drivers are insane and can't help trying to wrestle for control even if the car is upside down and airborne so they end up with compound fractures in their hands.

So you look like this:

and have to threaten crazy poo poo like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/world_rally/1880808.stm

that is one amazing rudimentary circa 2002 website btw.

• Locked thread