Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

My mom is a slut posted:

Great game. Does the co-driver actually say "jump, maybe" or am I mishearing it?
(also Wegee do get an impreza I'll miss my old 2000 2.5RS coupe forever)

Yes, also I've heard him say "don't cut, be brave".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

SealHammer posted:

I finished in the top 50 or something in the Owner's Club for the 205 T16 yesterday and I have no idea how. And the top dude was separated from the tenth dude by something ridiculous like 12 seconds. I really want to see how these guys play.

Unfortunately, my times disappeared from the last league event. Oh well, time to start from the bottom :getin:

Yeah that was weird, it showed you in 3rd before the time ended, then you were nowhere

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

God damnit, 3.6 seconds!!!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I just setup a new season since there wasn't one. It's set to go live tonight at midnight (not sure what time zone tbh). Can Spicy Guacamole or someone who knows what they're doing check over the season to make sure I didn't do anything silly? Just to note, for the 3rd event I intentionally put the service area on the last stage because of the length.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Looks good, man. Only thing I'd recommend is putting a service area on the first stage of each event so that people can make adjustments and do shakedowns. It doesn't do that automatically. :confused:

Oh, I didn't realize that needed to be checked.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Almost forgot to finish the league event, but squeaked in the last two stages at nearly the last minute! Maybe that's why I drove so fast. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3oCG3U3ccc

Yeah, I saw you ahead in the 2nd stage, but nothing else. Too bad sealhammer didn't do anything this time.

Also too bad the Mini sucked. I wanted to drive that but it just felt sluggish.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I have to say, on dirt, I really don't like the 60's Cooper S. It feels like any little bump well set me off bouncing over whatever cliff is closest. It was a nightmare in Greece in the career mode, but once I got through that it was more fun. I really liked it at Germany, which has exactly zero dirt.

I don't completely understand the settings that the game has by default. When I start an event, there are some settings, but then I can hit F2 to show the default settings, which are sometimes different from what is already there. What exactly are the settings that are already there, if not the default settings?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Legend has it that if you sacrifice four tires and say his name three times fast under a full moon, he'll appear in the night sky driving a flaming Peugeot.

You gonna post a time this round?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Well, I made a lot of new friends out there, today. Unfortunately, most of them were rocks. :)

Yeah, the "rocks outside" can really punish you on the German tracks. Not as bad as the gates in Wales just past blind jumps though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Somewhat low turnout for the Pikes Peak event (~4 hours left), not to surprising because it's much tougher than the other events. I have to admit I had no clue that there wouldn't be pace notes when I set it up.

Anyone else want to setup the next season?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ManicJason posted:

Ugh. I fired the game up for the first time in awhile last night and only got the first stage done. Oh well.

There's still 3 and a half hours!! Personally I think the first stage was the hardest. That may just be me getting used to driving without pace notes though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

bsamu posted:

I can do the setup for the next season if you tell me what criteria you were using for picking stages, if any. I've been enjoying the setup so far.

Two or three events with four days for each of them, midnight to midnight, either 2 short-2 long, or 6 short stages from the same environment. Not too demonic about the rain/night stages (I went for one of each weather, rain/night only on short stages), and service areas at all the odd stages (1st, 3rd, etc).

Say something when you're done and I can give it a look to see if it looks good.

Edit: I've only made one Season, do whatever you want really, so long as it makes sense and isn't too long.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 21, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

jonathan posted:

How do I go about participating in some rally events with other goons ?

Do I join a steam group or is there an in game thing ?

Click the second link in the OP, OP

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I really hate this game sometimes.

I was doing the daily event, 205 T16 Evo 2 at River Severn Valley in the rain, I smack some logs, right rear goes flat and I'm sideways.

I think "OK, just one tire, and I'm 80% done, I can do this", so I try to slowly point in the right direction "right front's gone" :suicide:

pik_d fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 25, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Did you forget again???

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

No!!! Yes :(

Whatever updates they did must have changed around the way car settings worked. I hopped into the Impreza for this event thinking, "this is my favorite car, piece of cake." Nope, not at all. hosed up pretty hard right out of the gate on the first stage, and it was all downhill from there. Managed to finally sort out the setup before the last stage, though, and gained back 14 seconds despite rolling twice. I got super lucky with each of those, though, and landed upright on the road both times. I guess the lesson from this is to double check your setup before rolling out. :downs:

This is a top top racing driver excuse right here folks. Glad to see you set a time though

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

shortspecialbus posted:

Jesus Christ I am bad at this game. I swear the car goes flying off into space at the slightest provocation and is allergic to staying on the road. Playing with a g27 and manual clutch + h shifter and you'd swear I've never been in a car in my life based on how bad I am. I simply cannot go more than 10 feet without the car wrapping around itself or launching off of something. What the gently caress am I doing so wrong? I've been playing rally games forever and my wife's first cousin is This Guy so I should get some sort of inhereted skill via marriage, right? Apparently not because while I've always done well in every other rally game ever I can't do gently caress all in this game.

Brake earlier, lift if the car unsettles, stay in a higher gear, worry more about clean lines than outright speed. Brake earlier.

Edit: Brake earlier.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

shortspecialbus posted:

The alternative FFB profile (the one in the OP is dead but links to the new one, which is at http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/impact-force-feedback.6603/ ) helps a good amount as does using a Group B 4WD car to get used to things. I actually made it through a stage. I think some of my issue is getting used to in-car camera, since for whatever reason I can't deal with external cameras with a wheel, and not being able to read distances as well as I used to when using external views and a gamepad. Braking earlier is a thing I need to get better about. These tracks are still loving brutal and I really wouldn't complain if they added an easier track for people to kinda get their feet wet if they're bad at driving games.

They did, it's called Germany.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

shortspecialbus posted:

I'll try that one. I'm still getting incredibly frustrated at the lack of gravity on whatever planet this is happening. Slightly bump a cutout on the right? You're tumbling into space. Cripes.

In a game called Dirt Rally, Germany is easy because there's no actual dirt to rally on. I find Monaco easier than the rest as well, due to being roads instead of dirt.

This may sound crazy, but Pikes Peak (the one with dirt on it) is actually somewhat "easy" once you learn the turns. There's not many ditches or random rocks to throw you.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

shortspecialbus posted:

I mean this isn't my first rally game, I'm not sure why I'm doing so loving terrible and getting so frustrated. I'll keep at it I suppose, so long as I can keep myself from throwing the wheel through the monitor the next time my car goes into a 800 spins per second barrel roll because I slightly clipped a rock.

Which car are you using? I found the 60s Mini was especially terrible at this, maybe because it's so light, maybe because it's just a really old car and just plain sucks.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

shortspecialbus posted:

I've actually been doing career so mostly fwd and I'm just getting into the rwd ones now. Not the loving Stratos though, I don't want to throw the wheel out the window

The Opel Kadett is really manageable and quick for that group of cars.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

bUm posted:

:cheers:

In other news, I am so confused how the repair cost at the end of rallies in tabulated. Finished my Peugeot 306 Wales and, despite repairing everything to 100% almost every repair session I came away with a 170,000 credit charge for repairs. :what: I barely made any credits despite getting first (Master's event, so 200,000 credits).

Decided to buy the Ibiza for the next event so I can fully upgrade both Kit Cars in a single Kit Car Championship. Used probably about 3/4 the total repair time as the previous run and even crashed hard right before the end of the last stage (breaking my radiator and roughing up my front end pretty bad) and the repair cost was *drumroll* loving 20,000 credits.

What in the world decides the repair cost that a not ridiculously different amount of damage would diverge the repair costs by 150,000 credits? I had assumed it was by lingering damage + damage from the last two stages, but that doesn't make sense since with the end-of-run wreck on the latter, the damage had to be higher post-rally than the first one.

I think the damage is all the repairs you made plus the damage at the end.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Three-Phase posted:

So if this is a rally game, do you have a navigator? Is it human or AI? (I'd have plenty of fun navigating. I think I'd be good I just have this bad habit of mixing up "left" and "right" occasionally.) Also, is there any real-time racing against other players/goons?

You have a co-driver which reads out pace notes. I wouldn't even call it AI since it's just "call this note at this position on track".

There's a PvP update scheduled for this month, but right now the only thing you can do vs other humans is essentially the daily/weekly/monthly events (which are global), or leagues (against whoever is in said league), which are just "do a good time and compare it to others".

You can see the goon league here: https://www.dirtgame.com/leagues/league/13996/dirtygoons

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

bsamu posted:

It looks like the ranking for the WRX League is just based on elapsed time for the final track? Seems like they should be a little more clear about that.

Yeah, it's a bit unintuitive until you've done it once, then you know forever, I guess.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Holy poo poo, rallycross is a panic. :stonk:

drat, about a third of a second in it

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, I really didn't think that was going to happen. I looked at the scores beforehand and figured I could maybe beat sealhammer, because I had managed something like 4:02 or 4:03 in career. Somehow squeaked it out, though. This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

I really thought my Top Gear strategy of "Choose the car they WONT EXPECT me to choose" was going to pay off yet again.

For real I think the Opel Kadett is my favorite car in the game

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, it'd be easier if the AI sped up a little bit.

Speaking of speeding up, if you haven't done the second event, there's still a couple hours left! You can still make it! pik_d??

Got a time in, caught the AIs on the last few corners, don't think it added 2 seconds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

InterFaced posted:

Like most goons I've got an embarrassingly huge steam library. Despite that I've noticed I've been playing this game almost exclusively lately, even if I just log in to do the daily run. I love this game. Do we have a goon league or anything?

Edit: the only thing I found searching leagues was one called "goon squad" with one member.

Its in the OP, literally the second line. Seems inactive though.

• Locked thread