Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
My wife is interested in getting a kei truck for her landscape design business. She deals mainly with gentrified yoga mums so there's a branding thing there, obviously, and she's sick of trying to park a full-size truck in those neighbourhoods and get stuff in and out of the bed (she's 5-foot-2). There's a local guy who brings in a lot of Hijets and Suzuki Carrys and random Mitsu trucks so finding one isn't a problem.

However, I would get stuck maintaining the thing. I already have PTSD from experience in working on micro vehicles from Smarts. My main concern is time/expense in sourcing parts. It'll be a giant hassle for her if the truck is out for ten days because I'm waiting for a ball joint to come by USPS from San Francisco, and her margin's thin enough that if normal maintenance is a $200/month bleed...

Anybody got long-term experience and/or wrench time with kei trucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Rabbit pickup is the obvious solution. Probably will get cred with gentrified yoga mums because "vintage" volkswagen.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Extra posted:

Rabbit pickup is the obvious solution. Probably will get cred with gentrified yoga mums because "vintage" volkswagen.

What I really want for this is a 1st gen Ranger, but we live in Ontario and so every vehicle with any utilitarian appeal whatsoever has a lifespan of about nine years before crumbling into brown flakes.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

1st Edition ADandD posted:

My main concern is time/expense in sourcing parts. It'll be a giant hassle for her if the truck is out for ten days two months because I'm waiting for a ball joint to come by USPS from San Francisco Japan, and her margin's thin enough that if normal maintenance is a $200/month bleed...

FTFY. Sorry, but any parts you will need for that thing will be coming from Japan. The only kei anything in the US will be 25+years old due to the import restriction, and the only people who will have them will be weirdos die-hard fans who have it as their 2nd or 3rd car and can therefore wait for parts to come on the slow boat. You would have better luck sourcing stuff from elsewhere in Canada (since you guys can get stuff 10 years before we do) , but I'd expect slim pickings there too.

If this is going to be a problem, I'd either buy a second one as a parts car (seriously) or scrap the idea. If you want a Ranger, why not take a weekend and fly down south to grab a nice clean rust-free example and drive it back up?

• Locked thread