Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Sub Rosa posted:

I played a game :toot:

how did it make you feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Amnistar posted:

Yea, but do you think it's a SCUM post?

this is a good post

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

idk what your forums userame is but gently caress you if you think we should redo votfindrr in php, fuvk you!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Epsilon Plus posted:

idk what your forums userame is but gently caress you if you think we should redo votfindrr in php, fuvk you!

I was half-asleep when I posted this please forgive me

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

alli again posted:

no problem I'll restart development on this tomorrow

:negative:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Mr. Humalong posted:

I PMed Genesplicer and calmly explained how mafia works over a series of 30 PMs so that he wouldn’t put me on probation for racketeering or something.

Now he constantly sends me PMs with the title line of “ok google”

lmao

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

failing that, if you get separated, hold votefinder's hand

not to speak for alli but I'm sure if we do a mass emigration that some info will be posted on votefinder to catch any stragglers

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Kicking around a setup, tell me how you feel about this and maybe I'll run it:

21 people total
2 scum teams of 3 each, remainder town - Fire and Ice rules are in effect (each team has a kill, if they both pick the same target the kill fizzles)
Each scum team is headed by a captain who picks two other players; those players do not know who picked them
A player can be picked for both scum teams, and if on both teams has both wincons
At the start of every day a random player is given a gun to use during that day; if they don't use it, they get some kind of boon (it's a secret, boons may be different for scum vs. town, boons may be one-shot or permanent)
No night actions other than NKs and the boon actions, if that player gets a boon

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 20, 2020

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

(originally it was just going to be one gun/boon on D1 but I thought with zero actual power roles it might drag out a bit)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Dennis Lee's Food Crime Mafia is up

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Oh I'm torn, I don't have the free time for a big game right now but I loving loved The Pizzle and went to Paulie Gee's Logan Square specifically because Dennis Lee started working there :blush:

You could be a sub, or just jump in and see what happens! Worse comes to worse you get lurker rule'd, and who knows when the game will fill up.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

we need one more person to get started, and I've never had a game this big fill this quick lmao

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

also if you wanna sign up to be a sub there's still time

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

yo I need a replacement

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Podima posted:

Here are a few important points for setting up a Discord:
  • You will want a single "announcements" channel that you generate your invite from (to not reveal channel names) and that has @everyone send-messages permissions turned off (read only). This is where you can post gamewide announcements like day start/end and abuse the @everyone tag.
  • Create an individual channel for each player - naming the channels by player name is easy. As each player joins, add them individually (by user, not by role) to their channel with read/send perms. This way you can put role PMs in there, answer individual questions, and receive night actions. Example of adding an individual to a channel (and not a role) screenshot at the bottom.
  • When all your players have joined the game, add them to their channels, and create a #scumchat or equivalent for your scumteam, and add them as individuals, not by roles - roles are PUBLIC - to that channel with read/send. Do the same for any masonries or other chats.
  • When you're ready to start game and roles are handed out, create a #day1 channel, give everyone read/send perms, and off to the races. I suggest pinning the current deadline.
  • It's up to you if you want to hide previous game days or keep them open for later reference - in Discord it probably makes sense to hide each day as it finishes or only show the previous day since it's a more fast-paced game vs. a forums game, but up to you.

I think that covers everything that immediately comes to mind. Stop back by and let us know how it goes!

This is what I did for my current game, the only difference I have is a spec role that has read permissions for all channels. I also disable reacting to messages so scum can't send each other sneaky notes when I'm not looking.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Rarity posted:

I am already in 5 discord channels and I don't want to join any more or else I'd never have time for anything else :(

tbh I solve this by muting a significant number of the chat channels in most servers I'm in, I have I think like 50-70% of the SA Mafia server muted, for example

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

get a chromebook?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

also I decided to run a dumb game:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940970

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I definitely go through Cycles of Mafia; sometimes it's the most fun in the world, and sometimes I strongly consider finding all of your homes and rearranging your kitchens

Retro Futurist posted:

Goodbye merk see you next month

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Mr. Humalong posted:

FOXNEWS Mafia has ended in a nail-biting Town, despite scum having the opportunity to win 2 days prior, victory!

I really don't have time to read the thread, please elaborate

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

as we approach page 2,000, have we given any thought to starting up a new General Mafia Thread? I was thinking we could do a new/updated OP, maybe with a section on Basic Mafia Tactics, I could buy a banner ad, maybe we could get some fresh blood pumping through this aging horse?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

taste, what would you tell a newbie to Mafia

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Bifauxnen posted:

Sounds good! Got any particular ideas for the banner ad? Maybe we could get some competition going in here for the best one.

competition would be good, all I can think of right now is "Call people on the Internet assholes for fun, but different from how you normally do"

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

if anyone else has Good Mafia Tips that could be useful too

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

my own personal mafia tips (I'm not the greatest at mafia but w/e):

- pay attention to the setup. if it's an open setup, there's no point in speculating about setup, because it's known. if it's closed, try to limit your speculation to reasonable ideas based on information present in the game and focus on the game. what-ifs are interesting, and potentially informative, but thoughts like "what if there's a serial killer who can only kill people at night who have an odd number of posts" or "what if there's a second cult" aren't going to go anywhere (yes I realize this is ironic for me to say)

- related to the above, mafia is primarily a game of social deduction - the best clues come from other people's posts. night actions can be useful, but without participation in the day, nothing useful happens. even if you don't think of yourself as a Good Player, asking questions can help get your teammates in the right mindframe, even if your questions don't directly lead to answers

- also related to the above, IMO nobody's really good at mafia. to elaborate: mafia is a team game and it's difficult for one person to be the decider of the fate of the game. don't be cowed by playing with someone who has one thousand games under their belt; experience is useful, they may be a little more skilled in asking the right questions or reading between the lines in posts, but don't let them intimidate you. more critically, don't let someone tell you you're Bad At Mafia. the person crowing about how you're obviously scum may be right this game, but they've been dead wrong in their last five, so gently caress 'em

- you win the game with your team even if you, personally, are dead. particularly as vanilla town, if you eat a kill that could be meant for the town doctor because you were asking the right questions, you're doing good! do not fear death, fear only a lack of posts

- Just Post. everyone has their own unique posting art, and especially for your first few games you might feel like you need to purposefully Post in a Special Way. just do what comes naturally!

- day 1 has a reputation of being a dumb shitshow, but it's absolutely possible to hit scum day 1! once jokephase settles, don't feel like day 1 has to be a random or lurker lunch. express an opinion and build a case, even if it's thin. the worst thing that can happen is that your assumptions are proven wrong, which is data in its own right.

- likable players live longer! you don't want to be a suckup, usually, but you definitely don't want to be a shithead. being insufferable greatly increases your chances of being removed from the game early because you're being a jackass, and no amount of claiming a PR will save you

scum tips:

- as scum, communicating with your teammates takes balance. too much coordination in your posting, and you may start inadvertently giving yourself away. too little, and swaying the rest of the town to your desires is a challenge. as a newbie, you definitely want to listen to your buddies and take their advice, but don't be afraid to have your own opinions and don't feel like they need to clear your posts or w/e

- scum who post more are more likely to be successful IME. a frequent assumption is that scum are low-effort posters, or that scum are evenly distributed among the range of posts (i.e. there's one scum player who's topping the postcount, one who's lurking, and one in the middle) - if your scumteam is posting up a storm, you break this assumption!

- bussing a teammate is a useful strategy from time to time, but don't feel like you need to immediately dogpile your scumbuds the minute they catch some heat. in most cases, one of your teammates dying means you have to survive yet another day to win - but if you can rack up a lot of cred by killing a partner and reduce suspicion, survival may be much easier

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

I mean that’s all well and good but it implies there are right and wrong ways to play mafia and I don’t think that’s accurate

it's definitely a your mileage may vary situation, these are kind of just my personal guidelines generalized out

t a s t e posted:

My only real game piece of advice is that the game isn’t about being right as much as it is knowing how to talk to, and in some cases talk through, others. Try as much as possible to shape the narrative you think you need, whether that’s posting a lot, posting at the right time, emotionally, logically etc.

this is definitely the good poo poo

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

to expand my thoughts a bit: it's okay if two people's bits of advice contradict each other, as that establishes that there's not One True Path, I just wanna try to give some new players some kind of foothold/structure to start with

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

in merk's case, do those conflict?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

what do y'all think of as a "reasonable" size? nine?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Hrm, I have some ideas I wanna try again. I could run a 13-man when Steak's game ends/when I die in it (I don't like modding a game while I play in case I let something slip on either end)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Scientastic posted:

What the gently caress, I need to think about all the weird interactions Steak and I had and maybe take a shower

this is probably a bit much, isn't steak like barely eighteen

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Jamuraan posted:

Never a good time, this place still full of dumb narcissists lol

taking a break from preening in the mirror to say: post better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006