Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

vyelkin posted:

If you were going to do this properly it should be a bonus point for scoring three goals whether you win, lose, or draw though, like in rugby. 0 for a loss, 1 for a draw, 3 for a win, 1 for a loss scoring 3 goals, 2 for a draw scoring 3 goals, 4 for a win scoring three goals. So if it's an exciting 4-3 both teams benefit more than a poo poo 1-0.

I ran the numbers on how this would have affected the MLS season and found some interesting stuff. First, Toronto has scored 3 or more goals 10 times in 31 games (and still might miss the playoffs); with those extra 10 points they would have secured a playoff spot. Los Angeles didn't have their first 3-goal game until June 20, but has done eight of them since. Houston is currently 3 points out of a playoff spot, but would be level on points (41+6=47) with San Jose (44+3) and ahead of Portland (44+2). Every team in MLS has done at least one three-goal game, with ten of the twenty-one teams having 5 or more out of ~30 games played.

For added excitement, 3-goal games could be the tiebreaker, instead of goal differential, in which case Houston would actually be in a playoff spot instead of San Jose.

I'm going to look at the EPL later and see if it would have made a difference in who won or who got relegated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

TheNakedJimbo posted:

I ran the numbers on how this would have affected the MLS season and found some interesting stuff. First, Toronto has scored 3 or more goals 10 times in 31 games (and still might miss the playoffs); with those extra 10 points they would have secured a playoff spot. Los Angeles didn't have their first 3-goal game until June 20, but has done eight of them since. Houston is currently 3 points out of a playoff spot, but would be level on points (41+6=47) with San Jose (44+3) and ahead of Portland (44+2). Every team in MLS has done at least one three-goal game, with ten of the twenty-one teams having 5 or more out of ~30 games played.

For added excitement, 3-goal games could be the tiebreaker, instead of goal differential, in which case Houston would actually be in a playoff spot instead of San Jose.

I'm going to look at the EPL later and see if it would have made a difference in who won or who got relegated.

That's all completely irrelevant. If these rules were in place then every team plays differently than they already did and the results are completely different.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Mmmm, loving this advanced stat trp meme, lads

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Please do 2013-14 and also a photoshop of Steven Gerrard lifting the League Trophy.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Blue Star Error posted:

Implement this and then be amazed when end of season Italian matches are suddenly goalfests

Yeah, this is pretty much what happened over here back then. The corruption was so rampant they got rid of it.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Suqit posted:

That's all completely irrelevant. If these rules were in place then every team plays differently than they already did and the results are completely different.

I'll grant that there were quite a few games which ended 2-1 or 2-0, where the team in the lead might have pushed extra hard for a third if this system were already implemented.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hmmm, there could also be an issue with gentleman's agreements where if teams were tied 2-2 they would both mysteriously score extra goals in stoppage time. But hopefully the game theory problem of cheating (i.e. scoring a cheat goal but then preventing the opposition from scoring their own cheat goal) would be enough to stop that, since teams would rather take the 4 points for a win once they went ahead than settle for the 2 points of a draw.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

mackintosh posted:

We used to have this in the 80s. 1 point for a draw, 2 for a win and 3 for a win by 3 goals or more.

I like this more than giving teams an incentive to just start the match at 3-3. That is just silly. Maybe also give teams -1 points for losing by 3 goals or more so the losing team is interested in the match as well.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

jyrka posted:

I like this more than giving teams an incentive to just start the match at 3-3. That is just silly. Maybe also give teams -1 points for losing by 3 goals or more so the losing team is interested in the match as well.

Nah because that would reincentivize negative play.

As vyekelin says, gentleman's agreements would never happen in a proper league with billions of pounds at stake, too much media attention and too much incentive for one side to break them. It's a non issue.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'd like to see my team not be poo poo anymore

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

FullLeatherJacket posted:

The Falklands should be in UEFA and teams should have to fly out for away matches

Hell, if anything, Israel are steeped in far less conflict. And are indisputably less european

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I'd change nothing as its fine as it is

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Goals ridiculously large with a series of ladders like Donkey Kong for the goalie to climb, probably best with making shots no closer than 30 yards

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also no Roberto Carlos shots allowed

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

You could even have the opposing team's captain just constantly scream the seconds at the referee's face with no negative repercussions

Don't talk to me about women's sports.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
i think football would be much more interesting if all the players were naked

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Imo if a refs red card gets rescinded they should take the ban instead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goals should count if they're scored by a streaker on the pitch

Fluo
May 25, 2007

A goal should count as a touch down for 6 points then you get a penalty for 1 point or a free kick for 2 points :rolleyes:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jose posted:

goals should count if they're scored by a streaker on the pitch

Or an inflatable toy. Let the fans contribute to the game they love.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

i'd like to see my team not be poo poo anymore

So you'd like a rule that would relegate Newcastle United to the conference?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

The Falklands should be in UEFA and teams should have to fly out for away matches
Or more simply, England can just move their home ground there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Yeah and France should put their home ground in New Caledonia and Russia should put theirs in Vladivostok.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

Vegetable posted:

"It's another sellout crowd of sheep here at Stanley Field..."

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
There are too many "matches"

there is soccer on all the time, play a lot less games. We don't need all the league and cups and champions league and uefa league and international friendlies etc its just all too much. Cut it down

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Agreed, also every 2 time zones should be allowed a maximum of 3 televised games at any 1 time. I can't keep up with it.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Agreed, also every 2 time zones should be allowed a maximum of 3 televised games at any 1 time. I can't keep up with it.

Alternatively there should be a channel which is a 24 hour global version of that thing NBC did where they show all the good bits from every game currently happening.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Players and clubs should be allowed to play a maximum of one game a week.

No Premier League games on at 3pm Saturday. Support your local club.

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the european cup should be for champions only

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bring back the cup winners cup

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

There should be 3 things: Europe-wide football pyramid, national cup competitions, Europe-wide cup competition. Maybe a super cup for the winners of the top league and the European cup.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
A Europe wide football pyramid would become regional after about 2 divisions because most clubs are broke as gently caress and couldn't afford the cost of travelling round the continent every other week

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

A Europe wide football pyramid would become regional after about 2 divisions because most clubs are broke as gently caress and couldn't afford the cost of travelling round the continent every other week

Yes. I've thought maybe 3-4 but it could be 2.

I'm offended that you though I suggested just throwing all the teams in the same pot. Not much would change for the likes of current lower league England or Finland and other places like that.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I guess the word pyramid made me think you meant all the way down rather than just a few European super divisions.

I'd like to see some of the more irrelevant leagues merge to try to generate some interest in the face of the Prem's massive TV deal, its a shame to see former European greats unable to compete because they are stuck in a league with no money.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Well, a few super leagues, then a few regional ones, then mostly the same we have now.

Some places have occasionally tried the regional thing but since UEFA do not allow allocation of the European spots(and therefore the money) to regional leagues there is very little interest for the teams to do well.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd like a Balkans league, would be cool and quite good.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Just make the champions league an actual league, make it so the top leagues get 1 champions league spot and they get promoted into it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Get rid of internationals all together. They suck rear end and are boring. Big loving fraud sham.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For all those reading along at home, "internationals" is code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I have read this whole thread in the space of an hour and I must state my disgust at arguably the worst thread in the history of TRP.

• Locked thread