Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Depending on the dish, you can also use asafoetida/hing as a substitute to garlic and onion if you don't want to miss out on those flavours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I recently made a chickpea, coconut and cashew curry. I feel I went a little too hard with the spices, and could keep a little more liquid in the final dish, but it was still quite enjoyable. The thing I like the most about this dish is that it's super quick to make.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I made Cajun style red beans and rice for dinner last night.

I've only made it a couple of times but my partner thoroughly enjoys it, so I think it's going to be a keeper. This time I added maybe half a tablespoon of vinegar to simulate the tang from the pickled pork that the traditional recipes have, but I don't think that was enough to add any noticeable tang. Oh well, I guess I better make it some more!

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Tonight's dinner was a sweet potato and black bean chili.

It's pretty simple to make and is definitely welcome in cooler weather. I normally add a bit of cashew cream once served but forgot to prepare that in advance this time.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I tried a new recipe for the first time. Caribbean sweet potato patties with a spicy coconut and spinach sauce.

It was quite nice. Plenty of heat in both the patties and sauce and enough diversity in the ingredients to give each bite a different flavour, if that makes sense. I served it with a side of rice, extra patties and some lime wedges.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I made a Cottage (Gardener's?) Pie, served with a side of steamed broccoli. The recipe calls for green lentils but I'm curious to see if using a smaller-sized lentil like black or brown will enhance the texture.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

This looks great, I’d try this if you care to share the recipe

Sure! It's probably a bit convoluted, but my partner enjoys it, so I'm happy to continue making it. I also added a bunch of extra veg like celery, carrot, zucchini and peas to help stretch out the number of portions. Using tinned lentils will probably also significantly reduce the cooking time.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I made a chickpea, coconut and cashew curry last night and served it with a little bit of lime pickle.

It's not much to look at, but my partner enjoys it a lot and has it with a mint/cilantro chutney. Normally I make the garam masala from scratch (which definitely bumps up the flavours) but I was time-poor so opted for store-bought.

The lime pickle is such an incredible hit of salty and tart, but it's very easy to overdo. So good.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Good question. I feel like the lime pickle lacks the fruity/floral elements but maybe more salty/sour. I've only had mango pickle a couple of times several months ago but can't recall the specific flavour.

All I can remember of it was that I wasn't a fan, mainly because each serving was filled with shards of mango seed.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

This looks really good!

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I tried baking for the first time recently and made some ginger cookies. I was quite happy with how they turned out and the only issue I had was that I didn't bake them long enough, so they collapsed a little once out of the oven.

My partner was happy to discover I'd also made them vegan, so she decided to combine them with some vegan ice cream she'd made.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I made some rajma masala the other night.

Dessert was a chilli and chocolate brownie with biscoff icecream, all home-made.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

angerbot posted:

This is simply outstanding looking, I don't even care for sweets and I'm still :eyepop:

Thanks! My partner made it all. I had to get a bit creative with the angles, because it was inside a bowl.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

My partner made some nourish bowls for dinner. I can't remember exactly what went in it, but it had plenty of nice textures and a tangy dressing that complemented everything perfectly.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Colonel J posted:

Looks like tempeh? I need to cook with that more.

There's regular tofu mixed throughout, but the stuff on top is a chilli marinated tofu that gets such a nice texture once it's tossed in a pan with some oil.

I'd like to try using tempeh more in dishes, but my partner finds the texture a little off-putting.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
First time trying out this recipe. It's a palak tofu paneer. The curry turned out a lot smoother than I expected. The images on the recipe itself have it looking a little more thick/chunky, but it's was still quite enjoyable. My partner really liked it, so that's what matters most.

I had leftovers and combined it with another first-time recipe. Paneer lababdar with tofu. I feel the curry was a touch on the thick side so I'll have to remember to thin it out a little next time.

I was pretty happy with the flavours and they've made it into a regular rotation.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I got a new pizza oven insert for my smoker so decided to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

My partner treated me to some improv pesto pasta. It was pretty good! I'd definitely have it again.