Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Asked this in the general questions thread but it started going insane about the weight/volume of bacon bits or something.

franco posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for vegan brownies? I want to make some for a vegan friend and, although searching throws up a wide variety of them, reviews and methods of each recipe are all over the shop so I don't know where to start. It'd be nice to have one that's tried and tested by a trusted source (you lot!) tia.

I'm leaning towards this one at the moment. It seems like it should be good, but even then the comments are a mess of "the best!", "the worst!", "too oily!", "too crumbly!".

Anybody? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Apologies for the late reply. Cheers for the suggestions! I was a bit too time-starved to get my hands on that book before they needed to be done and that Minimalist Baker one looks great but same reason for not being able to get my hands on the dairy-free butter or the stuff to make flax eggs (difficult around these parts at short notice). I will definitely seek them out for future trials though, thank you :)

So I ended up braving the one I found/linked as I had everything to hand and can absolutely vouch for it. I don't know if the negative commenters were doing something vastly wrong or I got lucky, but they came out just the right combination of fluffy/cakey and fudgy/gooey.

Nice rise in the tray:

But! There is a criticism, only a small one. There is no drat way, no matter how careful you are, that they will come out in neat little squares. Behold the box I put together for the friend:

You can see I swiftly gave up on putting little waxy paper things in to keep them separate - it just wasn't happening. So, messy as hell but delicious. Vegan friend approved (and he is really fussy, even beyond the veganism, by his own admission, so that's high praise!). Omnivore me kept the rest and I honestly couldn't have detected that they were vegan if I hadn't made them myself. In fact I'd say they're better than a LOT of non-vegan ones I've had. Also really nice as a dessert, warmed with some cream (or vegan substitute, of course).

So, uh, I guess what I'm saying is: try 'em - they good :thumbsup: