Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I dunno, I think his design works because of how it clashes with everyone else. Steiner is very much out of place, and the difference between how he looks and how everyone else looks helps to reinforce that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Does Magic Sword have status effects like the Mystic Knight's ability, or is it just damage?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This is good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The issue with Amarant is that he shows up so late in the game that you probably already have a party and a playstyle worked out. You could take the time to figure out how to incorporate a new person, but if you've got something that works, why change it?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TravelLog posted:

Came across this earlier today and thought people might like to see it. Some dialog that's hidden in the game files that appears to be left over after having been cut from the game proper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvdrD0jmms

You might want to note that this goes ahead of the LP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ramc posted:

It was a lot of fun. We're pecking away at another run-though (not LP'd though, of course). He just switched me from all Red Mages on the Big Bridge to Dancer/Summoner/Berserker/Samurai around the Moogle forest.

You should keep records so that when he's old enough to play the game himself you can make him understand what he put you through.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you can listen to the bells without having unpleasant feelings, you're either way better at rhythm games than I am, or you just never played that part.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Forks have always been and will forever be random.

Have there been forks in any other Final Fantasy title?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

sleepy.eyes posted:

Though Kuja was a chick until someone referred to him as 'he'. I forget when that happens but I get the feeling it is some ways into the game, it's been years since I played 9.

His textboxes are attributed to "Mystery Man" before anyone says his name.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Man, kids these days....

(35, brb dying of old age)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dr. Tot is not forgot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

mateo360 posted:

My OCD acts up anytime I see the river dancing since she isn't dressed like the other 4 rat girls. Stupid I know.

It wouldn't be so bad if they put her in the middle....

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This is such a great track. Definitely worth a listen.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

...So you may have noticed that the localization choice for the dwarven dialect is to raise the "Scottish dialect" dial to 11. It's going to be an utter joy transcribing this.

For what it's worth, Scottish people are very particular about Scots being a separate language from English and not just a dialect. They have their own translation of Wikipedia which is about 95% intelligible to the most English speakers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't remember Lore in FF6 being that broken. Am I forgetting something?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think it's because this is the first place we've seen that isn't dealing with Brahne's war.

One of the things I really like about FF9 is how well it gives a flavor to each location. There are no generic towns here; everything stands out a little bit in a good way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Probably not an accident given all the intentional homages in this game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

: "I just look 16 because I haven't grown any since. Level 1 run, you know."
: "I guess that checks out. They say drinking a Her ♥ Majesty is an experience you-"
*has fled into the wilderness*

All of your suffering has been worth it because it lead to this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Some spoilers in that link. Also, the head chef seems to speak much better English than Quina, so I'm thinking that this is just a case of sprite reuse and nothing deeper.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

12 Phoenix Down, 14 Ores, an Iron Man card, and Kaiser Knuckles. Amarant's third-strongest weapon, they're wind elemental and can inflict Trouble with Add Status. In addition to Curse and Counter, these teach Countdown, which lets Amarant inflict the Doom status (target dies once the timer reaches 0, starts at 10) at 50% accuracy. Has this status ever actually been useful in a FF game? Enemies can wreak havoc with it, but I've never really seen much use for it in any game.

It's good for taking out a piece of Neo-Exdeath if you don't have any other means of inflicting instant death.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

They also changed Quina's portrait, although you probably wouldn't notice unless you were looking at the two side by side.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, the lack of these fights is one of the very few missteps in this game. I get not wanting to stick players who haven't leveled everyone in an unwinnable situation, but there had to be some way around that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sharparoni posted:

I think it'd be cool if in one of these games you could battle with all your characters at once. There's no narrative reason (usually) for people just to stand around and watch while other people whack baddies. I think controlling about 6 characters at once wouldn't be that difficult or intrusive for the player.

It's a big issue for the graphics system, which is why FF7 and FF8 were down to three members in the active party.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That moment when you pop out of Terra and discover the world is entirely covered in mist is one of the greatest "oh, poo poo" moments in the entire Final Fantasy series. Hell of a way to end the disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If it ain't broke....

• Locked thread