Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's one specific part in this game that you can chug through Ethers if you don't feel like playing 'tactically', and I normally make sure Steiner's there for that part and just have him use basic attacks so I don't have to rely on it (and also because it's almost guaranteed you'll have Vivi in that section).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Leavemywife posted:

I played through this game a couple of months ago, and had no loving clue there was even a religion in this game.

I'm now wondering what other intricacies I missed in this game.

There's a plot event almost everyone forgets where there's a religion involved. I don't even remember a god being mentioned, though.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The real bad hoarding habit to do with shopping (tell me if this is a spoiler but I'm pretty sure it's not?) is that there's one item that teaches Vivi Firaga/Thundaga/Blizzaga. You can only get it from one shop. Accessing this shop isn't particularly difficult over the course of the game and you're unlikely to miss it.

But it only has that one item after a story segment in that area. If you've already been there, already checked the shop, and never check it again because you figure you already checked it?
Welp.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sum Mors posted:

Thanks, for some reason I thought there were more. I swear in my last play through a certain thing had more options to it than 4.

The certain thing is four questions asked in series, and each one has options.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Also, a little fun fact. If you gameshark in a Peridot or any of the items for Daggers missing summons on Disc 1, they all have a correspondingly huge MP cost attached. I think it 2-3 times the normal amount.

Actually, Dagger has all her summons (except Ramuh, because that one's totally new to her, and another one) from the very start of the game - but as you mention, they all have gigantic MP costs that you have no hope of using by the time you get there. No gamesharking required (but it's interesting to note that Ramuh has his MP cost multiplied as well).

When she has the Eidolons extracted out of her, she really does lose those abilities. When you get them back by getting more gems back, the MP costs are a lot more sane - possibly her coming to terms with her summoning powers?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

gbuchold posted:

I don't know if any FFIX clothing had a similar origin; very few FFIX people are still around in the office these days.

As far as I can tell the challenge was "Can we do a butt?"
And also probably to a degree, "Can we translated SNES-style clothing to 3D?"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I never before noticed the triangle symbol on the first Iifa Tree elevator. That's neat, since it shows up in a few other places.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Actually, it seems a little surprising that Zidane knows a play that Dagger is unfamiliar with - she knows most of Lord Avon's work by heart, after all. Maybe Ipsen's Tale is recent, or is more 'vulgar' than a princess would normally read about.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Iretep posted:

Yeah its probably a story more famous in Lindblum than Alexandria since it starts there. Which also probably means its more of a commoner story than what the nobles would care about.

Actually, the story starts in Treno. Which is probably what you meant since you mentioned commoners and nobles.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, Kuja's ultimate plan was to acquire Alexander, presumably so he could use it against his master.

But his master just showed that the big eyeball > Alexander so Kuja's plan was invalidated before it even began. I think there's a fancy Latin legal term for this maybe but hell if I know what it is.

Kuja called out for 'Invincible' (the big eye ship) to control Alexander. Instead, Garland was inside the Invincible, and destroyed Big Al instead.

Perhaps Kuja's plan involved owning both the Invincible and Alexander, since Garland was probably not meant to be in that ship at the time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fun fact about Esto Gaza - when you need to go there for the plot, the weapon shop sells different items!

If you don't realise this then you will be very sad.

e: Apparently there's another place to get the weapon I'm thinking of that I didn't realise? Weird. Still, it's probably the earliest place to get it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

AnotherGamer posted:

The worst thing about Esto Gaza is that it's the only place in the game where you can get the weapon that teaches Vivi his -ga spells, so if you miss that when it's available, his only endgame options for damage take tons of MP to cast and all have some sort of a drawback.

This is was I was alluding to, but according to the wiki there's one other place to get them. It's possible that it stops selling that item on Disc 4, though.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's always cool to leave Steiner behind in this section because it means he can keep on Sword-Magic-ing with Vivi.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Some notes on the last update:
Oeilvert's music isn't straight from the title screen, it's a little different. Oeilvert's track is 'Oeilvert', the title screen track is 'The Place I'll Return To Someday'. Oeilvert's theme sounds appropriately more ancient and aged.

Regarding planet merging:
From the hologram, we see that Terra is one of the planets, and that it has a single moon. The 'other planet' also has a single moon.
From the 'start of the play' cutscene way back on Disc 1, we know that Gaia has two moons, one blue and one red. The red celestial body seen in this update (referring to another one) is probably the red moon.

Aside from the moons, though, we haven't seen any other real evidence of Terra and Gaia 'merging' besides the very different architecture and technology in Oeilvert, and possibly Kuja's Palace.

And in one other place, where we've seen that distinctive tri-force-like symbol.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

AlphaKretin posted:

Or it's just a normal (for a villain, or hell, for the pseudo-medieval setting) torture/interrogation room? Not sure why it would have to be a sex thing. :raise:

Unless my eyes deceive me, above the whip are dice on the table.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bran Bal makes me sad about most fantasy works. You have the entirety of the realm of 'things that aren't in real life' open to you, but instead of blue pod-trees and mirror-water it's just another European-style grassy foresty land like Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think you'll find there's one more piece to the story of FF9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0svcC1dzv4

• Locked thread