Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is the best Final Fantasy game, I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You missed a neat little reference in the town square of Alexandria.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Emy posted:

I think it's better in this game, because FFTA has the extra dimension where exp (gained by hitting things) levels you up, and your stat gains when you level up are determined by your job, which is unlocked with AP (gained at the end of battles). So for optimal stats you want to only level up in certain jobs, which means having that character sitting in the back not doing anything except wearing various gear for its abilities (until the right job unlocks).

Unfortunately this game kind of has the same problems because (surprise!) your stat gains at level up are partially determined by the stat boosts from equipment you're wearing at the time.

It's not a big enough difference to really matter, but it drives completionists insane.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

zfleeman posted:

Also, I can't see Zidane in cutscenes without seeing David Bowie from Zoolander.

Pretty sure this is actually intentional.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Vivi has Black Magic and Focus. Focus simply boosts magic power a bit. It has its uses.

This is a massive understatement.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Another useful thing is you can press Select to get more information on, well, anything. Beast Killer does 150% damage to beast-type enemies. Zidane also gets Protect Girls, which takes damage for girls if their HP is below 50% of max, and Flee-Gil, which nets you 10% of the gil you would've run from an encounter if you run away normally (L1 + R1, not the Flee ability).

The game doesn't make this readily apparent, but Beast Killer (and other "killer" type passives) only affect the Attack command. Special actions that do damage won't be affected.

quote:

You can also get information on weapons and armor, which is handy for looking up stuff like elemental defenses. Silk Shirts reduce Thunder damage by 50%! That might actually be useful!

That tooltip isn't just flavor text. You actually take 50% more damage from fire while wearing a silk shirt. There's other equipment in the game that has similar properties, but without the tooltip. Although those are mostly mage robes which have very high magic defense, so you probably won't notice it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Magic Sword is incredible in this game, but you have to look at the damage formula to see exactly how. The formula is basically (Weapon Attack - Defense) * Strength * Multipliers. Magic Sword adds a fixed amount to the Attack value depending on the spell, so it's actually like attacking with a better weapon. The first level elemental spells add 5 attack, and Steiner starts with 24 strength, so right off the bat Magic Sword is adding 120 damage before multipliers. On top of that, it ignores protect, and it doesn't break sleep. And the best part is that despite seeming like a combo attack, it doesn't cost Vivi a turn. I'm pretty sure it also ignores the penalty to attacking from the back row.

Magic Sword is what turns Steiner and Vivi into premiere shitkickers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pure damage. Status effects aren't that great in this game, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I don't know about that. There are plenty of strong enemies and bosses that Blind helps against. It isn't going to completely neuter them, but the difference in overall damage is noticeable.

The problem with status effects is that most of them wear off after a short time. Blind doesn't, though, so it is pretty useful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, this game practically throws ethers at you left and right. There's pretty much no reason to worry about your MP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The nice thing about Focus is that the damage formula is very simple, and there aren't any weird factors relating strength/intelligence to damage. It's just (Attack - Defense) * Intelligence * Modifiers. A 25% boost to intelligence means a 25% boost to damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Just saying that maybe 1 point in defense might not be worth being set on fire.

Pretty much yeah. Though interestingly, unlike a lot of other games in the series, hitting an elemental weakness doesn't ignore defense, it just multiplies final damage by 1.5. So if you've got 14 magic defense and are weak to fire, and you get hit by a fire spell (14 attack), you still take 0 damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For whatever reason the Sealion is flagged as an Aerial enemy, and is thus vulnerable to Bird Killer. I guess because it has wings?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The Mythril Dagger moves Zidane up to your premier damage dealer for the next little bit. 18 base attack power is no joke.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but because of the way the damage formula works, it literally doubles his damage from the mage masher vs. most enemies.

Also yeah, you're right about Blizzara and Tsunami. They can easily catch you off guard because they're free turns.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Oh god, the Black Waltz. I can't be the only person who always has trouble with him, can I? I think I've only died once but it's always been pretty close. My need to steal everything from every boss definitely doesn't help.

Not really. Both him and the sealion are actually really weak. They each hit for maybe 20 HP tops. If you're around level 5, which should be easy without grinding, you can go several turns without needing to heal, and you'll have plenty of breathing room. If you focus on stealing from the Waltz and then kill him first it's even easier. It seems scary because you're alone, but they're really pushovers.

Unless you're doing a level 1 game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Remember how I was complaining about the Silk Shirt? This rear end in a top hat is the reason why. You might think that it's safe to put flammable gear in a dungeon where the gimmick is ice, nope. He has Fire spells, which can make the early part much trickier than first intended.

And god drat you lucky son of a bitch with the Mythril Dagger steal.

The fire weakness from the silk shirt barely makes a difference. His fire spell (enemies use different spells with different attack values) has only 8 attack with an 8-9 multiplier. Unless you're stupid enough to take your leather hat off, you've got 6 magic defence. Without the silk shirt, he can do a maximum of 18 HP damage to you with the fire spell. With it, it goes up to 27. Not a big difference at all. Considering that both he and the sealion hit you with physical attacks as well, the extra point of defense from the silk shirt is worth it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Winklebottom posted:

Have some weird fanart:

Vivi's freakishly long legs make me laugh

This is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Qp38qT-xI

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vivi Ornitier does NOT skip leg day.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure the open disc tray only works in FF7.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I name her Kris.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

L5 Death posted:

The FF9 world has a sabbath? Fingers crossed the japanese developers didn't make Burmecian jews. That could end... badly.

There's definitely some kind of religion in the background of FF9, but it never becomes relevant to the plot. It's just flavor.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bewilderment posted:

There's a plot event almost everyone forgets where there's a religion involved. I don't even remember a god being mentioned, though.

It's not common but

Mega64 posted:

God help me!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really appreciate you showing off all of this game's little nooks and crannies, because holy poo poo this game has a lot of little nooks and crannies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Add Status is actually not too shabby to put on Vivi for a time. He gets a weapon that inflicts Slow with a much higher success rate than the spell. Granted, buffing and debuffing isn't the greatest in this game, but it's still a viable option.

The weapon you're thinking of has a flat 20% chance to inflict slow, while the spell itself has 60% base accuracy, increased by magic and level. Nice try though.

Also Dagger can completely destroy those ghosts with her cure spell. Healing spells ignore magic defense, even when used offensively, so it does around 250 damage when MTd. It's one of the few times she's good for something other than healing in the early game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Glazius posted:

Zidane is probably getting protective of Vivi because the kid's only eight and eight-year-olds shouldn't get kidnapped. ...or doubt their nature as a conscious independent being.

They really sold how corrupt this place was.

That, and a little bit of trying to impress Garnet with his heroism.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SorataYuy posted:

Something I'm starting to take away from this and the 7 thread:
A lot of Final Fantasy "fans" seem to be really fans of just a couple of them, the series as a whole is something only about 50-55% of the fans have played and enjoyed most of. I'm seeing more evidence for this theory as time goes on.

You mean you think that people have different preferences? That's a pretty bold theory there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's really hampered by having only one good, reliable damage spell.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is why you never engage FF11 players. They turn everything into a support group meeting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

The problem is it takes too drat long for the frogs to respawn. I mean, getting them is easy, if you're willing to leave the game running overnight all the time so they respawn. But by the time you have the transportation to farm all the swamps normally, it's late enough in the game that catching that many frogs requires sitting around doing nothing for hours after you've finished all the sidequests. By comparison, you can max out Dragon Crest really freakin' early in about 45 minutes.

Not really if you know what you're doing. But that's way ahead of the LP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zidane is confirmed as an rear end man.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The next boss is going to be Black Waltz #4, and everyone's gonna be running around looking for #3. Classic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought of this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It should noted that Steiner's trance only affects his Attack command, and not any of his special attacks or Sword Magic. His physical attacks do get the general +50% trance bonus though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TravelLog posted:

A funny thing to note, to the best of my recollection, is that if you use MP Attack, the bonus from that is added on BEFORE the trance triples his damage. Fun times with high damage.

The order doesn't matter since it's all multiplied together. But yeah, that adds up to 4.5 multiplier. Add a killer ability and an elemental weakness with an elemental boost from equipment, and you get a little over 15x normal damage.

I wish this game didn't have a damage cap.

KataraniSword posted:

Which is okay since his Attack command will end up doing more damage, for free, than all but one of his special attacks and pretty much all Sword Magic.

It's even better than that one attack, since special attacks don't get affected by MP Attack or killer abilities. But it's kind of moot because you'll probably be hitting 9999 with either one.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 28, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sum Mors posted:

FFVIII actually had the first damage limit breaking attack. Well, two of them. :eng101:(In single damage dealing instances, that is)

Besides Dbl Blk, you can also reflect a multi targetted spell against all 4 of your party members to break the damage cap, iirc.

Actually, FF1 was the "first" game to not have the 9999 damage limit. And no, reflecting a multi-target spell only hits once.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

McDragon posted:

Also drat that "chest" on the airship. You spend the whole conversation looking at it and thinking "oh boy oh boy, what's in that chest" and then it isn't one. It's a wonderful trick.

I guarantee that Zidane's line about it was thrown in because playtesters were frustrated by not being able to open it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Booourns posted:

I love that face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is probably about 2 hours in if you're not grinding anything or jumping rope a thousand times.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Endorph posted:

Also, minor gameplay spoilers, but am I the only one who was totally convinced she was a red mage?

I'm pretty sure that at some point in development, they wanted her to be a red mage, and then they changed their mind and decided that dragoons were more iconic.

Dastardly posted:

That concept art always reminds me of Leiji Matsumoto. Specifically Captain Harlock.

It's the hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dastardly posted:

Looks like a beetle/cockroach with a skull for a face.

How kafkaesque.

• Locked thread