Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Is the overworld theme a remix of anything? It is very familiar but I don't think I remember it from this game.

Yes, and it is from this game. An instrumental version of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's a remix (or contains elements of?) the game's main song.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Uematsu is a huge fan of leitmotif.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like 80% of the songs in the game are derived from the same melody.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
A couple of things I really like that have been shown so far: The title text of each new area (which is always different font & design for every place), and the Cave Imp enemy. They programmed a sound effect for when you kill them so that you can hear when they slip and fall on their face when they die. I always liked that. It's just a little thing that they didn't have to do but also nailed the whole "you're fighting on ice" thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For whatever reason the Sealion is flagged as an Aerial enemy, and is thus vulnerable to Bird Killer. I guess because it has wings?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

A couple of things I really like that have been shown so far: The title text of each new area (which is always different font & design for every place), and the Cave Imp enemy. They programmed a sound effect for when you kill them so that you can hear when they slip and fall on their face when they die. I always liked that. It's just a little thing that they didn't have to do but also nailed the whole "you're fighting on ice" thing.

I like that the Ice Cavern is mentioned earlier in the game during the Alexandria Castle segment and then actually ends up being a place you visit. It makes sense that a cavern with a unique ecosystem like that would have a book about it in the castle's library.
XIII might have been a bit more charming if it had things like that instead of cramming it all into an in-game wiki.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Crossing The Knoll is one of my favourite Final Fantasy overworld themes - right up there with the one from FFIV, I think.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm not too sure of this, but I think Sealion doesn't start spamming Blizzara or Tsunami at Yellow and Red respectively, but rather uses those moves as a counter for being dropped to two thirds or one thirds of its health.

This is one of my favorite fights in the game since you really have to be careful at lower levels if you want to get the nice items from Sealion AND not explode when he pulls out his more wicked attacks.

The Mythril Dagger moves Zidane up to your premier damage dealer for the next little bit. 18 base attack power is no joke.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 16, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The Mythril Dagger moves Zidane up to your premier damage dealer for the next little bit. 18 base attack power is no joke.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but because of the way the damage formula works, it literally doubles his damage from the mage masher vs. most enemies.

Also yeah, you're right about Blizzara and Tsunami. They can easily catch you off guard because they're free turns.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Doesn't the last enemy only attack if you touch the blizzards, like you avoided? It's a neat monster, too, IIRC.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oh god, the Black Waltz. I can't be the only person who always has trouble with him, can I? I think I've only died once but it's always been pretty close. My need to steal everything from every boss definitely doesn't help.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I'm not too sure of this, but I think Sealion doesn't start spamming Blizzara or Tsunami at Yellow and Red respectively, but rather uses those moves as a counter for being dropped to two thirds or one thirds of its health.

This is one of my favorite fights in the game since you really have to be careful at lower levels if you want to get the nice items from Sealion AND not explode when he pulls out his more wicked attacks.

Yeah, most people don't really notice this because they're just having Zidane Steal from everything. By the time you get to the section where you actually want him to physically attack, you have stronger weapons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Oh god, the Black Waltz. I can't be the only person who always has trouble with him, can I? I think I've only died once but it's always been pretty close. My need to steal everything from every boss definitely doesn't help.

Not really. Both him and the sealion are actually really weak. They each hit for maybe 20 HP tops. If you're around level 5, which should be easy without grinding, you can go several turns without needing to heal, and you'll have plenty of breathing room. If you focus on stealing from the Waltz and then kill him first it's even easier. It seems scary because you're alone, but they're really pushovers.

Unless you're doing a level 1 game.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Remember how I was complaining about the Silk Shirt? This rear end in a top hat is the reason why. You might think that it's safe to put flammable gear in a dungeon where the gimmick is ice, nope. He has Fire spells, which can make the early part much trickier than first intended.

And god drat you lucky son of a bitch with the Mythril Dagger steal.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
If I remember correctly, another reason the fight is further simplified is that if you make the Sea Lion use Tsunami early, the Tsunami damages the Waltz as well as you. Free damage!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sum Mors posted:

If I remember correctly, another reason the fight is further simplified is that if you make the Sea Lion use Tsunami early, the Tsunami damages the Waltz as well as you. Free damage!

That's still kind of a bad idea because that means you're dealing with the Sealion at low health (where it'll bust out Tsunami) and a potentially alive Waltz. It's better to take out the Waltz first before even damaging the Sealion, since its attacks are the weakest when it's healthy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Remember how I was complaining about the Silk Shirt? This rear end in a top hat is the reason why. You might think that it's safe to put flammable gear in a dungeon where the gimmick is ice, nope. He has Fire spells, which can make the early part much trickier than first intended.

code:
  | • Once Black Waltz #1 is defeated, begin Stealing from Sealion.         |
  | • Use a Potion when needed and wait for the Trance gauge to fill.       |
  | • Reset if you don't steal the Mythril Dagger; if you steal it and have |
  |   extra turns left, make sure you get his Ether as well.                |
This could be a lot of Resets...but that is pretty much low level speedrun guide.txt.

I didn't find too much outrageous stuff to post so far, and what was there, OFC already covered it :D. I will try and find extra dumb nonsense you have to pull to be quick as well as low level after each low level update!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Does anyone else find it ironic that some RPG speed runs inevitably end up taking forever to pull off?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm a much bigger fan of RTA speed runs rather than segmented ones. The rolling with the punches makes the RTAs a lot more interesting.

For most people though, my advice on the sort of stuff from that guide is to do one of the following:

1. Completely ignore the benefits of level avoidance on stat gains, and of getting through the game really fast.
2. Bust out cheating options to have your cake and eat it too (e.g. reset levels but not cumulative stat gains, reset game timer).

There's also the option of doing that sort of poo poo legit for the personal pride in doing so, but it'll really only be personal pride: don't expect most other people to think it was a valuable use of your time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

David Corbett posted:

Does anyone else find it ironic that some RPG speed runs inevitably end up taking forever to pull off?

No, that's speedruns in a nutshell - most of the work is in the route/methodology planning.

(Note that I'm not saying there aren't very execution-heavy speedruns, but route planing and getting lucky are two very key components)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think the difference between "normal" speedruns (that is, of a game that is far more suited to speedruns, like a platformer) is that for platformers, you basically develop the skills to do The One Perfect Run and then do it. After some time-saving techniques, glitches etc. have been discovered, it's mostly about execution.

For an RPG, most of what you're doing is managing luck - that is, you know there is a certain (and sometimes considerable) element of randomness to things, but you try to minimize that as well as possible, but ultimately, you do a lot of crossing your fingers and praying. The elegance in that, and what I actually like to read about (it's not like I only checked out the perfect game guide to laugh at it, far from that!), is discovering those minimization strategies.

That might not be that fun to watch, however, and for me at least it certainly sounds like absurdly unfun to do - as you don't even improve after a certain point, you just hope for the best. Overall though, I think both types of speedrun might well take the same amount of time, as most skill-based ones take crazy amounts of practice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

The fire weakness from the silk shirt barely makes a difference. His fire spell (enemies use different spells with different attack values) has only 8 attack with an 8-9 multiplier. Unless you're stupid enough to take your leather hat off, you've got 6 magic defence. Without the silk shirt, he can do a maximum of 18 HP damage to you with the fire spell. With it, it goes up to 27. Not a big difference at all. Considering that both he and the sealion hit you with physical attacks as well, the extra point of defense from the silk shirt is worth it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Given the speed that this LP is moving at I wonder if it'll finish before the 4-year-old FF7 LP :laugh:

L5 Death
Oct 6, 2009
I edited the gif just a tad for Zidane's butt scratching glory.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Hell yes, FF9. Played it for the first time back when I wasn't very good at english and most of the time I just bashed my head against the bosses until I got lucky. There was a bunch of areas where I would get stuck for weeks because of me not understanding a vital clue or some gimmick (I ran into every drat blowing wind in the Ice Cavern and BW + Sealion was hell until i figured out how to target switch, I was not a bright kid).

Probably my favorite FF game. Combat is kinda clunky and slow but the world, characters and atmosphere are amazing. I still listen to the soundtrack now and again (actually loaded it up on youtube when I saw this thread :v:) and it is so good.

Have some weird fanart:

Vivi's freakishly long legs make me laugh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Winklebottom posted:

Have some weird fanart:

Vivi's freakishly long legs make me laugh

This is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Qp38qT-xI

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

FeyerbrandX posted:

It Begins

I'd asks for a Trance Wasted Counter, but I don't wish to cause you crippling depression and despair at that number.

Haven't played the game in like 3 years, but I remember that agony clearly.

I'm all for a Trance Wasted Counter, at least on Zidane. In my experiences of the game, lets just say his Trance Wasted counter would get so high for me that, on my most recent playthrough, if he got close to trance at any point, I would literally stop all damaging actions and wait for him to be pushed over the edge, just to say I at least got to blow SOMETHING up with Dyne.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
How about instead of just a Trance Wasted counter, keep track of both wasted and useful Trances. I would love to see that ratio.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
At least Zidane's Trance meter actually moves fast. There were some characters in the game who's literally never peaked for me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rarity posted:

At least Zidane's Trance meter actually moves fast. There were some characters in the game who's literally never peaked for me.

It's, to my knowledge, another one of those narrative/gameplay interactions. The characters who aren't as emotionally expressive (mostly people we haven't seen yet) don't Trance as easily.

Edward_Tohr posted:

How about instead of just a Trance Wasted counter, keep track of both wasted and useful Trances. I would love to see that ratio.

Easy enough!

Trances Wasted
Zidane: 1

Useful Trances
Zidane: 2 (1 plot-mandated)

sergeantz
Apr 27, 2015

Mega64 posted:

It triggered Zidane's Trance! Now we can-

Zidane stole the gently caress out of that potion.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

zakharov posted:

Given the speed that this LP is moving at I wonder if it'll finish before the 4-year-old FF7 LP :laugh:

Amusingly enough, I started my first LP the same day the FF7 one started. I've finished nine (soon to be ten) LPs since then.

But I'm hoping to keep a pace of every other day, plus maybe extra ones for weekends. Hopefully I won't burn out in the middle of this one.

L5 Death posted:

I edited the gif just a tad for Zidane's butt scratching glory.

Thanks for tweaking this, this is glorious and I may have to make an avatar out of this when I have more time.

And I could put together a Wasted Trance counter, wouldn't be the first weird thing I kept count of in a LP and likely won't be the last.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sergeantz posted:

Zidane stole the gently caress out of that potion.

*Becomes a furry, steals drugs from food*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This LP got me to want to replay this game again: turns out I had a save set just after this part. Right before fighting Black Waltz #3 That's a nice coincidence!

I turns out I missed the Mythril Dagger though. :negative:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MonsieurChoc posted:

This LP got me to want to replay this game again:

I'm gonna be spending the next several days in the hospital while my wife gives birth. Seems like as good a time as any for me.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
For everyone playing this for the first time, I would like to stress ONE little important fact. SELL NO EQUIPMENT it has it's uses even after the fact it sucks and you learned every ability from it...except not every piece of equipment gets that treatment...we'll see what I mean a few updates from now I'm sure.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kemix posted:

For everyone playing this for the first time, I would like to stress ONE little important fact. SELL NO EQUIPMENT it has it's uses even after the fact it sucks and you learned every ability from it...except not every piece of equipment gets that treatment...we'll see what I mean a few updates from now I'm sure.

Sell no equipment, keep at least two of every equipment, hoard like crazy :tinfoil:

FF9 is an absolutely horrible, awful game for someone with that "but what if I need it later" hoarding/OCD.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KataraniSword posted:

Sell no equipment, keep at least two of every equipment, hoard like crazy :tinfoil:

FF9 is an absolutely horrible, awful game for someone with that "but what if I need it later" hoarding/OCD.

Play Shin Megami Tensei. Expecially 3: Nocturne. You'll spend your elixirs like there's no tomorrow after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Kemix posted:

EDIT: I should probably talk less about that function until it's officially revealed.

• Locked thread