Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
This is the best Final Fantasy. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I only play Tetra Master a few times just so the tournament is less painful later on, but honestly Tetra Master is garbage. The numbers don't even matter. It's all random anyway. I do find it interesting that the cards have a sort of FF2 leveling system to them though. If you use them about a thousand times or something stupid, their numbers will go up a little bit.

I've never been able to jump rope past 20. gently caress jump roping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Arcade Rabbit posted:

How exactly does filling out the card list glitch things? Is it a minor thing, or something kinda big?

I think it's a game breaking thing, but no tester or player was ever crazy enough to do it, save for one.

And it's not just filling it out. Your card master score is based on how many unique cards you have PLUS how many unique arrows you have on those cards. If you have all 100 cards with 100 unique arrow setups, your score becomes perfect, and your game starts glitching out.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

dancingbears posted:

Baku is obviously a pigman

Actually Baku is a Tapir, but still, not human.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Yeah, OFS did a level 1 run for the game. I've done a few level 1 runs, but only because if I play the game normally it just simply doesn't challenge me anymore. I NEED to do stupid poo poo like level 1 and Excalibur II runs in order to make things in the game pose as obstacles to overcome.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm doing it again fyi. Or at least trying.

If Mega64 is okay with me posting about a dumb challenge run in one of his FF threads again, anyway.

:allears:

Please, help me improve my methods OFS.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I think the worst part about limits is that Garnet's is useless most of the time. It does literally nothing until about halfway through disc 2, and then most of disc 3 Garnet is mostly dead weight anyway.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

This game is full of reference to older Final Fantasy games. In this update, the song the band was playing was from FFVII.

There's another 7 reference late into this disc. It's completely missable and not important at all.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think its most people's, actually, with minor variations.

Actually only half of my final party is in play right now.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Squalitude posted:

I guess that's the successful steals? And does that bandit skill mean that you can even get the rare steals really easily?

Not REALLY easily, but more easily. There's another skill way late in the game that makes stealing even easier, but by then if you're getting everything you'll be decked out in poo poo that's mostly better than what you can steal by that point.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Triple Triad isn't in FFIX though.

Triple Triad is garbage compared to this minigame.

Also Triple Triad is dumb.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Auto-regen is basically an auto-win feature for this game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I've actually found Quina's Frog grinding the worst and most time consuming one. I've never gotten Frog Drop to deal 9999 damage until Disc 4, whereas by doing regular steals and fighting in that area where you're 75+% likely to run into a Grand Dragon, am usually able to max out Thievery and Dragon's Crest by early-to-mid Disc 3.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Iretep posted:

Why does Brahne have a mask that the Beagle Boys use anyway?

Pretty sure that's just supposed to be helmet shadows.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

MelvinBison posted:

If you don't watch that last ATE, can you get that chest Marcus opens up in the background?

Yes, but you miss out on a very important key item later, because technically Cinna never tries to make the coffee.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

mauman posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any rpgs (or hell, games in general) where the hippy/back-to-nature faction are the bad guys and the techno-guys are the good guys?

Cuz that would be awesome :allears:

Final Fantasy X, technically? The Al-Bhed aren't exactly "good" guys, but they aren't really wrong when they think technology isn't all that bad.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

zfleeman posted:

This may be too far ahead, but I just finished disk 1, and Beatrix's stealable Mythril Sword had me loading my save state over and over again until I looked up the odds and I just had to say gently caress it. Way too frustrating. I am curious, though. How much does Bandit (or whatever the steal+ ability is called) raise the odds of getting a rare?

That steal is completely not worth it because it's buyable in literally the next town.

Bandit doesn't raise the odds, it just makes it so that it doesn't try to steal from slots you've already stolen from. That ultra rare steal still has a less than half percent chance of being stolen, but at least the game doesn't try to take an item from a slot you've already stolen from.

That said, there IS a late-game ability that DOES raise the steal percentage, but if you've been getting everything through The Best Minigame Ever, you pretty much don't need it.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 14, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Rarity posted:

and Aerith

Actually Aeris is pretty strong-willed and makes her own decisions quite a bit. It's Tifa who usually doesn't do anything unless she's told.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Dr. Tot is the most important unimportant dude in FFIX if you think about it.

No I'm pretty sure there's about 2 or 3 characters who do far less with the same-ish amount of screentime.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Kuja is basically the best.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Are you also going to show off fighting the beastie in the shop? It's a loving rough fight, but it becomes way easier when you get the blood sword from turning in all your Stellazo coins you've been collecting, which you should barely have enough of if you've been collecting them all, and equipping it to absorb all the damage it deals to you. If I remember the reward is actually worth it for this point in the game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

RIP Burmecian Soldier Dan, and RIP Freya's involvement in the story.

Seriously, she basically does nothing the rest of the game aside from be an awesome party member.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Considering the entire purpose of that guide is obtaining a perfect save, I'd imagine he'd have you get Ramuh.

Actually it's probably faster to skip it and just get a peridot later from one of the griffons.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Real time footage of Quina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ytrovAyFiI

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Stealing rare stuff from bosses is basically useless, especially if you keep up with Chocobo Hot and Cold. There's an ability later that makes the hassle disappear entirely, but it's really late game and the stuff you'd be stealing with it is no better than the stuff you get by getting that ability.

If it's a happy accident, great, but unless some insane low-level strats rely on the rare steals, it's not worth sitting there and trying to get the fairy flute from Hilgigaris.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Level 1 runs are a good way for when you are like me and have beaten the game roughly 20 times and know it so well nothing really challenges you anymore. Granted I've never gone past disc 1 on a level 1 challenge before giving up, but I've entertained the thought a few times because there's only so many times you can play FF9 before it becomes apparent that nothing can stand in your way of the foreknowledge you have.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Why are Blank and Marcus suddenly night watchmen on Zidane's behalf...?

Haven't you ever read Discworld?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, here it comes, the best part of the game. :allears:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

That's because Garnet's only real form of offense is her summons. Meanwhile Eiko gets summons that deal damage AND, way later, holy .

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Just did a bunch of Chocograph splurging, and holy crap I forgot what cool stuff you can get even at this stage.

If you keep up with Chocobo Hot and Cold, this is the point where the game just rolls on its back and shows its belly in submission.

EDIT: One time I was at a Gamestop, and I saw the art book for FF9. I asked my mom if I could get it. She said it was a waste of her money and I should get the book that tells you how to beat the game instead.

I still have yet to forgive her for this.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

if you saw him play Ratchet and Clank, you'd understand

Hey, if you're going to make fun of my ability to play games, at least don't choose one of the two games I'm actually good at.

Now if you said Deus Ex Human Revolution I couldn't argue one bit.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

FUN FACT: The four Guardians are very explicitly inspired by the four Elemental Fiends from the first game. Earth Guardian is Lich, Wind is a one-headed Tiamat, Fire is a two-armed Kary / Marilith, and Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Game looks like Kraken's nerdy little brother. Less obvious, though, is Tahakra is supposed to be based off the first Final Fantasy's final boss, Chaos. If you squint and tilt your head you can kinda see it.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 24, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Glazius posted:

The most terrifying thing is that this has all been tried before but it didn't work.

Not this exact thing though. Garland used a more forceful method in order to speed the process up, which is the way it didn't work.

Also, Terra HAS done this before. Garland says that Terra survives by absorbing planet after planet. My theory is that Terra always used the forceful method, but when it tried it with Gaia it didn't work for some reason. So plan B, which had never been used before and is still going underway, a slower, gentler absorption.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Sometimes the secret boss decides to be the most challenging boss in the game.

Sometimes it is a pushover.

It's never in the middle ground though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Khmer_Ruse posted:

Am I missing something or did the old dude in Daguerreo plan on cutting off his fingers grafting on Gogo's dead ones and then make a creepy doll of his late wife?

That sounds like an excellent DnD campaign idea.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Also, I forget where it is, but it's heavily implied that Dagger is actually 17, not 16, and that if Kuja had known that fact the game would have never happened and he would have won.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Grinding for frogs is mind numbingly boring, and I say this as a man who has, on multiple occasions, grinded steals and grand dragon kills.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Mega64 posted:

To those who suggested I do the Nero Brothers side quest:

gently caress you.

Isn't the reward an accessory that you can find early disc 3 and has long outlived its usefulness by disc 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Things is that Hades was actually one of the few gods who didn't go out of his way to screw with humans. If they entered his domain then they were his but otherwise they could just frolic in the spring fields until their time came and he claimed them.\

Hades was quite chill as long as you didn't mess with his wife or his dog.

• Locked thread