Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I think it might be a little early to be bitching about a mechanic that literally hasn't even come up in the LP yet, guys... :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

No, that is the mission of the Pluto Knights, it's just that actually guarding the queen's bedroom is under the purview of a group of female knights. Think of the Pluto Knights like the secret service.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Fister Roboto posted:

There's definitely some kind of religion in the background of FF9, but it never becomes relevant to the plot. It's just flavor.

A JRPG where the world religion isn't the root of all evil? Blasphemy!

:v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Vivi fulfills the required Bildungsroman for FFIX.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I loved FFXI, but that was about 90% for the story and 10% for the gameplay. I still think it's had some of the best story beats of any of the FF's, Chains of Promathia blew me the gently caress away, but it mired them in just the most horrible loving tedium imaginable.

The one exception, of course, was Blue Mage. Blue Mage was loving incredible to play, and I've still yet to play a game, single-player or MMO, that's given me the same feeling of incredibly joy playing a character as I did soloing poo poo as a BLU/NIN.

But still, you couldn't pay me money to pick the game back up, even with all the great memories I still have of it. I'd love to see it LP'd, just to see the storylines play out again. God I loved that game.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Haha, holy poo poo, I'd almost repressed memories of loving Colibris, this thread is Nostalgia Road...

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Or oddities like giving paladins a solid rating in clubs... but there being absolutely no decent clubs to wield barring a few rare exceptions. And staves, which were similarly nigh worthless as an actual weapon.

[True Strike]

Edit: For those who never played FFXI, let me lay some of the bullshit out for you. Everyone knows about the big things, like the boss that people spent 24 hours fighting, or the various Absolute Virtue dick moves the devs pulled, but the worst poo poo was small, innocuous, and absolutely frustrating as poo poo.

So, say you want to level your Black Mage. It was one of the most important jobs in the game for end-game content, and it was pretty much necessary to have dozens of Black Mages for Sky, Sea, Salvage, you name it. So you want to get your Black Mage up to snuff. As was already mentioned, almost every other job in the game is taking down enemies that you are incredibly useless against. Black Mage was a terrible solo job, it had no damage mitigation, no way to heal itself, it was the second-most Glass Cannon job in the game. (lolDarkKnight)

So here's how you level as a Black Mage. You get 5 other Black Mages, or 4 BLM and a Red Mage, and travel to the most hellish zone in the game. An active volcano, full of enemies that can

A: Murder you effortlessly
B: See through invisibility
and best of all
C: Detect when you cast magic

So you get to your camp spot, after probably eating a couple deaths, and find a corner you can hug where you won't immediately die. You then send one brave soul out to cast something on one of the mobs running around, and pull it back to camp. (If that motherfucker casts poison, you kick him from the group and loving run)

Once back in camp, you and your 3-4 Black Mage friends chain-cast sleep on it until it falls asleep. One of them casts an ancient magic spell that gives it an elemental weakness, and everyone else casts their biggest nuke of that weakness. You cast in sync, so it doesn't wake up early, and then you all chain-cast sleep again and hope you don't get killed. Eventually it dies, and you get a tiny bit of experience. Everyone pops a squat, drinks a little juice, then you repeat. You repeat that poo poo for hours And don't forget, FFXI had XP loss on death, so every hosed-up pull, every mob that resists sleep too long and murders you, all of that poo poo sets you back and you have to stay longer as a result.

It was the most mind-numbing, tedious, stupid loving bullshit imaginable. From Aht Urghan until Wings of the Goddess, that was basically the only realistic way to gain xp for your endgame Black Mage.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 25, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

IAmTheRad posted:

I guess people have "fond" memories of FFXI because it was their very first MMO. Remember, WoW came out a year after FFXI. I quit FFXI and bought my own copy of SWG so I could stop playing on my Brother's account. Not to mention that game cards were easier to manage than the backwards way FFXI did subscriptions.

I actually played WoW first, I started my MMO experiences in '06, and I couldn't stand it. I switched to FFXI from Warcraft. However, my experiences were way different than anyone else, because I had a group of friends that all played. So we had guaranteed parties, and I had people that didn't bitch when it was time to unlock Paladin or run through the Bahamut fight in CoP. I never truly felt the full sting of ffxi until my friends stopped playing, and I joined a dedicated endgame linkshell. When I actually had to deal with the same poo poo everyone else did, I soured on the game pretty quick. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Brunom1 posted:

I think you're misremembering something. Even if your nation didn't control the outposts, there was that port town in the dunes that had a crystal...or are you talking about that end-game desert region where Aspidochelon spawned?

He's talking about the nation points thing that you used to purchase stuff like your national Aketon for the slight movespeed bonus. It was never a very important element, but he's correct about how it worked.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I like that Vivi's trance has his floppy hat pop straight up. :3:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Rarity posted:

I just realised so many awesome things have happened already and we're only about 15% through the game

15%? :raise:

The game hasn't even thrown us in a proper dungeon yet, unless I'm remembering way incorrectly I'd say we've just barely scratched the surface.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Endorph posted:

you can also tell that zorn has a club design on his sleeves, and thorn has a diamond. It's a weird detail, since I don't think anyone has a heart or a spade.

Zorn has a club on his right sleeve, and a spade on his left. Thorn, who is red, has a diamond on his right sleeve and a heart on his left.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

:smugdog:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Quantum Toast posted:

We're talking about Zorn and Thorn. You can't tell me it's not appropriate for us both to say the same thing, at the same time, in different ways.

:vince:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'm fairly certain that's not actually true, but to clarify would require a shitton of spoilers, so how about we put a pin in that theory for now?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Attendant: "The Strange Gourmand is on top right now. He's a self-styled gourmand who eats anything that moves. The judges can't keep track of his score because he's eating everything he catches. Good hunting!"

I wish it were possible to make this contestant the victor. :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

TravelLog posted:

Freya used to be a distinguished member of the Burmecian army, but in recent years she has spent her time traveling the world, for what purpose she will not say. Freya is loyal and fierce, but not terribly talkative or warm for the most part.

Uhh, she does kind of say. The game tells you, but it's from stuff in her conversations and things she lets slip.

Mega64 posted:

No...
Oh... Well, I'm sure you'll find him someday.
...Are you ever gonna go back?
I have no reason to return to Burmecia.

Mega64 posted:

Sir Fratley, where are you...? I need you...

And Freya laments about her lost love. Hey, we've only seen her for a minute so far, of course her hook's not gonna be as big right now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I dunno if this counts, but in Chains of Promathia it's revealed that The Dark God Promathia, that legends say created the beastmen to plague the 'civilized' races created by the Goddess Altana, is actually the father of the 'good guys'. Humans/demihumans were created when Altana split his power up, so it could be sealed and therefore not a threat to her. Upon learning this, you then murder the gently caress out of a reborn Promathia, because his revival means that everyone dies anyway, so gently caress it. :unsmigghh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

You should fill two buckets with water balloons, red filled with warm water and blue with cold, then take the game outside. Nothing makes a tiny person shriek with joy more than watching daddums flinch as he gets beaned with a cold water balloon. :3

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

An evil subordinate doesn't necessarily imply an evil ruler quite like a hidden weapons factory does.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Don't forget, guys, Gizmaluke was being mind-controlled or some poo poo. The enemy forces probably put the whammy on him for the express purpose of gaining control over the grotto. Assuming the "Gizmaluke opens and closes the doors" theory is correct, anyway.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Leaving your PS1 on for two years just to get a sword when the timer overflows seems a bit excessive, though.

Casual detected. :spergin:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Mega64 posted:

This seems pretty lame until you realize Stop doesn't wear off in this game, making Stop essentially an instant death spell (albeit one that doesn't give rewards other than AP).

If there are multiple enemies in a fight, can you Stop one to prevent it from attacking, then kill it to receive xp? Or when you cast Stop on an enemy does it hard-code it to not give xp and items?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

liquidypoo posted:

I want to know how Vivi and Quina got to that courtyard to join in on the Beatrix fight.

Remember, Quina told Zidane that she would eat the food inside the palace. S/he found a backdoor and Vivi followed h/er, then they stumbled into the courtyard (on the way to the dining hall) right as Beatrice finished up her speech! :v:

Edit: Alternatively, Quina wanted to know what Beatrice tasted like.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 24, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ferid may not have been a King, but the setting was still a monarchy where the Queen had primacy. If a male heir becomes king, the woman he takes as his wife becomes queen and rules the nation.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Huh, I thought there was a conversation in that game where one of the female party members says that if she married the prince and Lym died, she'd become queen? Maybe I'm misremembering that.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Right, that's what I'm saying. Queens have primacy, it's a queendom and it'll always be led by a queen. But in the circumstance all the female royals die off, the male heir would be king until he married, in which case his wife would become the queen and take control.

Although, maybe in that situation once he married he would no longer be king? Would they strip his title when his wife is crowned? I don't know, man. But it keeps me up at night.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I feel like Zidane would be much more comfortable as a Prince Consort than a King anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Kemix posted:

lets play a GOOD game and forget Kingdom Hearts even exists.

Mega already is:

Mega64 posted:

Sorry, Fallout 4 got the better of me.

:v:

• Locked thread