Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I get an alert on my phone that there's a new LP on the SA forums. "Hmm... wonder what it is?" Pushbullet mirrors it to my computer. "Final Fantasy IX".

Oh hell yes! I've been waiting for someone to do another LP of this. I missed The White Dragon's LP when it happened.

And Mega64's gonna do it? Bonus! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I posted a "99 Rosetta Stones by playing cards and extensive RNG manipulation, it will literally take 17 hours" guide in the FF8 LP, these things amuse me; rest assured, the FF9 thing is far, far, far worse.

You're gonna do that for this game, too? I can't wait! :allears:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I could have sworn someone (probably Orange Fluffy Sheep) did a Level 1 challenge run in the last LP thread, but it didn't seem to get archived on a casual glance. So I can't tell you to just consult that for the casual manic obsessiveness :v:.

Sure, then, I can try to remember which normally completely mundane parts of this game require insane work-arounds to keep the party at the lowest level possible and post excerpts, why not?

Er, no. I didn't mean a Level 1 run...

Simply Simon posted:

Well, then!

code:
 It should go without saying that if you're going for a perfect save, you'll
 need to perfect the individual runs that get you there.

Play and read each section once or twice before attempting it seriously; you
 need to acquaint yourself with treasure locations, shop lists, menu
 operations and the overall route through each area. Read a circuit or two
 ahead so that you have an idea of what you will be preparing for and what is
 waiting for you.
Remember this, boys and girls!

You should have figured out by now that this particular guide is for beating the game as quickly as possible as well as staying at Level 1 the whole time. This means poo poo like this:

code:
     .====================.                                          ____
  .--| BATTLE: MASKED MAN |-----------------------------------------(0 AP)--.
  |  '===================='                                          ¯¯¯¯   |
  |                                                                         |
  | • Have everyone Steal once; reset if you don't get the Mage Masher.     |
  | • Its rarity is 16/256, so it shouldn't take too many attempts to get   |
  |   it within the first round.                                            |
  | • Once you get the Mage Masher, simply have everyone attack themselves  |
  |   to end the battle; you won't get a Game Over.                         |
  '-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
For the very first battle in the game is just par for the course.

The Jump Rope Minigame is serious business in a Perfect Game Oh My run, and there are some options for it which I really don't get related to a high score board on it which only really shows up in a Mognet letter which is completely optional and may not even be viewable at the end of the game or something? I am not even going to comprehend the loops of logic required to justify doing that, but even under the serious time constraint this run puts you under, the guide's writer allows you to get 1000 jumps three times "if you want to", of course once is mandatory, this will take 8 minutes.

Impressing the nobles...

code:
  | * Here are some tips:                                                   |
  |     1. Turn of the volume on your TV.                                   |
Nope sorry I'm done

code:
 o Breathe a sigh of relief once you're done; this can be one of the hardest
   parts of this challenge.

THIS. This is what I meant. I love your posting and mocking of these. :allears:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The original designs of his 3D render did actually give him visible eyes, but then they put a belt on him.

Little did we know that this was only the start for Nomura...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I just started reading this LP and I'm posting from a few pages back right now but if they ever gave IX a full cast Steiner should be voiced by Patrick Warburton and nobody else

That would be awesome. I also want him to become the new voice of Gaston.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Man, Blank has one hell of an arm, to toss the map that far.

Mega64 posted:

[steiner[ And how dare you claim that you have rescued her!?

Missing a Steiner portrait here.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Name her Shank or Shiv.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Gonna go back and rename her Buster.

Please do this.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kemix posted:

Also, IMO, what made FF9 good was that the main character wasn't some sort of emo gently caress face like Cloud and Squall were.

You don't remember Cloud and/or your memories are tainted by the EU poo poo. Go read Elentor's freshly finished FF7 LP. It's a work of art.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kemix posted:

There's a reason people make emotes. Popular LPs tend to spur people to so it. I mean from the Etrian Odessy 2/3 LP we got ourselves the :atlus: emote and thanks to Leave's Chrono Trigger LP, we got the :frogleave: emote. Wouldn't surprise me if someone bought a vivi flavor :smith: emote.

Only problem I see there is the height. Smilie limits are 90x25. I'm sure someone out there can make it work, though...

Edit
This was the best I could come up with:

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 31, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The whole Regent thing bothered me, since a Regent is just someone who rules in the interim because the actual ruler is a minor/absent/incapacitated, while it's pretty clear that the Cids are actually the Kings.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Oglops are great, because often in games there are characters who are "beautiful" or "tough" and you kinda have to take the character's word for it. In this game though, most people are freaked out by oglops, and they're legitimately freaky looking. They give me the creeps.

Until that art was posted, I just though they were a type of frog. Now I think they're related to Skulltulas. From the family Creepyas Fuckus.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

It helps that it's memorable as all heck. I can't remember half of Midgard thanks to that half being the nebulous slum section with filler travel-through rooms in it to bulk it up. Lindblum doesn't have those (though it does have 'filler' rooms that exist to be places unto themselves.)

I'm the opposite. I remember Midgar really well, but not Lindblum.

But that's probably due to my only ever having played this game once, around 2001 or 2002. I could never beat the game on my own. I had to go download a save file that was made at the very last save point, copy it to my card via DexDrive, and play from there. The farthest I made it was the save point before that one, so I came close.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Polsy posted:

It's actually that in Japanese too, I'm not really sure why the English translators went with Regent. Regent is probably (slightly) more familiar to people than grand duke, at least.

I want to say that we're more familiar with Duke/Grand Duke than Regent, but that might just be me, because I read a lot of fantasy...

Gnoman posted:

"Glop" is an English word that has fallen out of the vernacular that means an unpleasant mass of something mushy - a cheap diner meal might be, for example, described as oily chicken with a glop of mashed potatoes. I wonder if the translator was inspired by the sound of the Japanese name instead of the meaning.

It's also a form of onomatopoeia. "When the lunch ladyman put the mashed a-taters on muh tray, they went 'GLOP!'" :v:

TravelLog posted:

Since it owes so much to Shakespeare

Ugh. :suicide: gently caress Shakespeare.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TravelLog posted:

The file is 1020 x 500, but I'll scrounge around and see what I can find. As a gift for those of you with ENEMIES on the forums, here is Brahne's palette.

It's coming up 200x98 for me, too. Maybe try rehosting it on imgur? This one is also small.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I dunno about Patrick Warburton as Steiner, but I want a redub and/or live action version of Beauty & The Beast with him as Gaston. :allears:

Brony Hunter posted:

Patrick Stewart should play everyone.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

But there's a lot of poo poo to miss

Including a sidequest that wasn't discovered until 13 years after the game's release.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

...wait.

Which sidequest was that? :tinfoil: oh god I'm trying to remember every single one desperately.

It's not available until Disk 4, so we're a long way off.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

Just leaving this for future use. It might be able to be made cleaner by someone better at it.

ZIDANE!!!

:rusty:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Cid's father was the one who invented the idea of Mist-powered airships, making airships a pretty recent development in this world.

The real question is whether the guy's name is Hunk or if that's just a way to describe him.

Is there an image missing between those two lines of text?

Oh, wait, no. The text about Hunk should go up one image, right under this one:

And before the first one in my quote.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Make Zidane lose. Cock-block him... for the Ring!

Nah. Let Zidane win, and then use Memoria to add the ring to your save file.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Still doing moving stuff so updates will be slower the next couple weeks.

And after that updates will still be slow because of Super Mario Maker. :unsmigghh:

Next LP?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It can't have different text, because you can't get it if Zidane, Freya, or Vivi don't win.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

drat you, Mega64! :argh: Any time someone talks about Brahne, all I can think of is this:

Mega64 posted:

This is Queen Brahne. She is a reference to the FF4 airship The Big Whale.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TravelLog posted:

(If anyone could let me know starting HP/MP, that would be great. I can't seem to track it down for some reason)

Even though I've only just entered Lindblum in my playthrough, Memoria lists them as:

Freya: 100 HP, 32 MP
Quina: 75 HP, 32 MP

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SorataYuy posted:

Wait. Wait, wait wait, wait.

Gau had a use beyond padding the game and drawing fire for your more useful party members? :aaaaa:

Check out Let's Break Final Fantasy 6 by Elephantgun to see the poo poo Gau can do.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

David Corbett posted:

Sorry, who were we talking about again?

Doctor Tate R. Tot, inventor of the Tater Tot.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Meh. I did CH&C. I didn't like it. And yeah, I got everything.

Also: It is, always has been, and always shall be, Wark!, not this Kweh! crap. :colbert:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wonderslug posted:

It's only WARK east of the Mississippi.

Weird BIAS posted:

Wonderslug posted:

It's only WARK east of Midgar.

OK, I'll give you guys those. :golfclap:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

cdyoung posted:

I personally only bought the Prima guide for XI for the 10% discount on the game from Electronics Boutique.

Doesn't that mean you actually paid more for the game?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PlayOnline is still alive. It's FFXI now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only thing that could've gone better is the tents both landing the first try. Mostly it's two characters die instantly and I'm trying damage control the whole time while trying to stab with a fork whenever possible and one falls over GODDAMMIT why do forks deal random damage, stuff like that.

Forks/Axes dealing random damage is one thing I've always hated about the series.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

FFT has books actually being read

Or thrown.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bufuman posted:

I kind of want that first one, but I'm not sure what would be a good line to go as the title.

It's from 6, but how about :
*Gobble... snarf... snap...*
Well! I've stuffed down all I can... Let's go!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm on phone or I'd grab that picture of Nooj that popped up in the FFVII thread. Remember the artist we're talking about here. If there's even such thing as dumbest, not wearing much does not cut it. :colbert:

Ah, Nooj. I'm not sure who has the best hair, him or Seymour...

And we can't forget Leblanc!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Also poo poo I'm loving thirty tomorrow what the gently caress.

I'm older than that. Age is just a (mostly) meaningless number. Don't let it bother you. It ain't worth it.

Also, Happy Birthday!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kanfy posted:

It's true, I'm only here for Garnet butt shots. I don't even know what this game is called.

Garnet Butt Shot Simulator IX

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

To the best of my recollection, my first RPG video game was Adventure...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mauman posted:

33 myself. Wonder if anybody is older than 40?

That would be kinda neat.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cast members we've already met, as designed for Pictlogica Final Fantasy:

• Locked thread