Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I really only have one complaint about this game, but that's a ways away.

I have one complaint about the game as well. Well, not the game exactly.

To Find out what that complaint is, type "FUKU" Into Playonline!

On the other hand, Brady Games also published the actual artbook for the game, so that was a very big plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The only real piece of advice you need is to never EVER sell any equipment.

And buy more than one, because of game mechanics.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I hate you all for reminding me that every choice I make for the best song is wrong, even all the choices are right.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I remember Doctor Tot as well, since I was actively forgetting Zok's name in FFV and used that one instead once.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I've always internalized queen Brahe's voice like Captain N's Mother Brain. Kind of look similar too.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Seriously why does this ship have so many Ethers.

It's a flying party ship run by a band of brothers :cheers:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

It could still be tweaked and not lose the narrative sense. If you triggered trance and never used it (i.e 60-80% of the time trance triggers), instead of completely dumping the gauge, maybe just cut it by half. Heck, cut the unused portion in half since I don't think I ever used the whole gauge.

A surge of emotion isn't gone after 1-5 minutes, you're adrenaline is still pumping well after that.

Or maybe something like the stagger mechanic in XIII. Large spikes fill the trance gauge and settle back down to a default number (1% per 1000 damage or 20% of Max HP?)

In the narrative sense, I'm pretty sure the surge of emotion would come back 10 times stronger if Zidane tranced on a goblin right before Steiner eviscerated him and then came back around to fight a boss.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The "..." at the end is Steiner trying to remember how many Steiners he mentioned so he wouldn't forget any or say any of them a second time.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Also, that was before Nier 2 was announced. Though I doubt that one will come out before he finishes Drakengard 3, but who knows.

I would not put it past the Dark Lord Taro to have Nier 2 finished 3 years ago, and stored in the same warehouse as the Ark of the Covenant.

Note to self; don't be the first to play Nier 2, for fear of my face melting off.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Oh wait I forgot I had Zidane queued to Steal and Vivi to wipe the enemies already. Trance wasted!

It Begins

I'd asks for a Trance Wasted Counter, but I don't wish to cause you crippling depression and despair at that number.

Haven't played the game in like 3 years, but I remember that agony clearly.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Is the overworld theme a remix of anything? It is very familiar but I don't think I remember it from this game.

Yes, and it is from this game. An instrumental version of a thing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Especially if you've also been extensively playing the best minigame.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the castanet music that just popped into my head.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Tot? I'm afraid sno, er not. drat lack of auto correct.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

When I first played it, I didn't see the slight of hand. I just saw his face going side to side in close proximity

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The other things have fancy death animations that are technically spells. Otherwise the enemy just has a death rattle and fall over.

So while Dragon Mask goes down in like 180 damage, he really has 10,180 and casts the animation of the mask splitting and chiding the crew at less than 10k. BW #1 doesn't and has the normal fall-over and rattle.

That's why most bosses don't break 55,535. They have to be able to have fancy deaths.

If its good enough for Final Fantasy V, it's good enough for IX.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Also you know if there's any patch to restore 16 bit graphics, it sure as hell wouldn't be official. Square seems married to its "everything must be in HD at all times" motif as of late with remakes.

Which is really odd when the made that FFXIII recap video in FFVI era sprites.

The FFV/VI mobile ports don't look particularly HD to me, just.. wrong.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

small enough, but I don't know if it gives enough :smith:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Any chance of getting a .gif of Steiner :argh:ing it up?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

e: doublepost

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

There's skill, and then there's skill versus skill, experience, superior equipment and mental conditioning.

Since he's actually sired now and he still has bargain basement equipment he obviously had less than that during the duel.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Just leaving this for future use. It might be able to be made cleaner by someone better at it.

ZIDANE!!!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

There's a gap in two menus. TWO!

And who knows when you'd want to use that Dyne rather than the other similar Dyne? Hoard everything, trust nothing. The end is nigh, buy all the wrists!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

There's the other optional area we really want to visit when we get a chance.

The truly Evil Forest.

You'd wish you were petrified or turned into a plant parasite's incubator.

Who am I kidding go there now, now now!

The music compels you.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chrono Cross wants to hammer into your face how much humanity sucks and non humans (including genocidal heavy machinery loving dwarves) are soooo much better and in touch with nature and humans should crawl into a hole and die in a fire.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I never bothered with stealing anything but from bosses I knew had one of a kind or very rare stuff.

Point being that the real prize for stealing everything can easily be matched by 3 other characters without much work and a fourth with about equal effort.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

------

It doesn't help I waste a lot of time getting into Trance against a freaking Mu.

I saw it coming a mile away. I played too much of this game to not see the gigantic pile of despair coming.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I haven't actually played this game, but with the description for the master hunter mentioning the sky, does it change depending on the winner? What are the descriptions for the other winners?

Don't think so. Never really thought about the text until now (For some reason my only memory of key item text are the stelazao and the kupo nut).

The stuff about the sky is just fluff, of course. Or motivational text like "shoot for the moon, if you miss you reach the stars" except more :black101:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Actually, if you look closely, you can see him slink forward a bit which suggests he's fallen to his knees before getting caught by the table.

It's an incredibly small detail, but it's there.

Ooohhh yeah, he's got insect legs, so he probably just pivoted and hanging upside down.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I have my ukulele on standby for it.

And my castanets.

I remember Quina's idle animation fondly, since when I was in high school some of my friends were in some play involving pirates dancing vaguely like that.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Gau is the closest you can get to having General Leo in your party without glitching the game inside out.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently this is now a thing with threads made by Mega64 where children make things better.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think the forged ticket mentions "I want to be your crow" as Lord Avon. At least the playwright was right.

Also, Shakespeare being the "Bard of Avon"

And I know there's some other comments about the writer in-game, just can't remember where.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure that's what Cid I was referring to. Hunter's Mark Says "A true hunter must seek his targets in the sky"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't like those ocremix albums because the quality is always all over the place and each track is a completely different genre so they don't flow well at all. There are a few good tracks in there but most of them are pretty standard ocremix techno or heavy metal bullshit.

Also that cover art is pretty bad.

I used to look forward to them, then the Chrono Trigger album happened. Epochs of time and delays ensued. Then they stalled more for artwork or the website or some other meaningless fluff. Then completely underwhelming dreck.

Still will check this out. At least something will be worth it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

So this is like that except I don't hate everyone involved.

You can't hate Kungfu Shakespeare.

Also, can't remember where I read it, but I think the bell lock is related to some mythology. Either Norse or Arabic?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Forks/Axes dealing random damage is one thing I've always hated about the series.

And bags, don't forget the loving bags and flails, depending on the game

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

I really love the Beatrix fight because of the build up. I also have dumb-loving 100% obsessed sibling who stopped playing after an hour and a half of trying to get the rare steal and now considers this game "over-rated" after seeing me finish it because he's out of his mind a dumb-gently caress.
:bang:

If only there was some sort of guide back then to help him through it.

I can't wait til Simon lays the brilliance on us this time.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I must respectfully disagree; he comes across to me like watered down hybrid of Kefka and Sephiroth, and ends up failing to capture the essence of what made those two such good villains (and I'm not all that fond of Sephiroth, either, when it comes down to it).

I agree with you, the main thing I see about Kuja being a budget villain would be drifting off to spoilers.

The simplest thing I can think of that doesn't go in that direction is how that scene played out. Beatrix curbstomped you because she was challenged by some ignorant peon and you ruined her n00b-griefing fun.

Kuja somehow provided Black Mages. Kind of evil yeah, but Hojo-tier or Dr. Lugae evil at this point of the game. Sure some of the party might have a valid personal grudge against someone like that, but at the moment? meh.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kuja ain't got poo poo on Lord Yuna.

All my hate. :argh:

And that's why I did not include that monster on my list of "trivial middle-management level jerk face scientists"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Meh, there's a long amount of arbitrary age milestones between me and retirement and 11 since I was able to drink. Numbers mean nothing to me right now.

• Locked thread