Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorBooty posted:

The only reason to say this is a bad final fantasy is because it gave us a taste of what a modern final fantasy could be, and instead we got something else.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a bunch of rich twats riding a sports car, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I love that the world has talking animal-human-hybrids and that it's just a thing.

Although it makes me think that it was some early idea by the writers that they decided not to develop further.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 7, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I like You Are Not Alone, especially the Tour de Japon version.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Steiner is the senex.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Aithon posted:

Her Japanese nickname was just (the katakana rendition of) Dagger as well. I suppose using the English word would have been more characteristic and less generic than whatever the Japanese word for dagger is? Then writing the scene as it is makes sense.

Skip forward, the translator to English figures that Dagger would still make a pretty good-sounding nickname that would also fit the space constraints and basically work throughout the entire game, but using it makes this one scene near the beginning a bit awkward. He or she makes the logical trade. :v:

^^^And yeah, this. She didn't know it was just called a "dagger" and that there wasn't a super detailed nomenclature before she asked, after all.

The German localisation seems like the right way to go.

e: Stiletto, Stabby, Misericordia, so many missed opportunities.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 22, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's about as substantial as the VIII and X romances. But the writers actually understood that, so they didn't make it carry an epic tale of love and loss.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 13, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AdmiralViscen posted:

The writing doesn't? The party intentionally deceives the player character about the true nature of the quest. When he finds out, he reacts strongly in the negative and they acknowledge that it was wrong to hide it. Ultimately he convinces them to find a new path and that's how the cycle is broken.

As for Yuna, she is definitely conditioned by her surroundings but she becomes a summoner under protest of her friends and after weighing the possibilities she chooses to sidestep the duties she took on.

The "traditionalists" in this game are all part of an evil conspiracy that is run by zombies lol.

From the very first scene at Besaid where Tidus' stupid sports symbol is shown to be an important religious symbol, their beliefs are less than idealized.

The "traditionalists" are actually just your standard "JRPG Catholic Church".

The critique of "traditionalism" is actually just anti-clericalism.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 30, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, they look a lot more like Buddhists. Their temples have a very Tibetan aesthetic.

Emphasis on "look". When you get past the aesthetic, the game is very much about the Medieval cult of Death and anticlerical readings of history.

The Rise and Fall of FInal Fantasy posted:

There are a whole lot of things for which I can criticize Final Fantasy X's writers, but not knowing their history isn't one of them. Spira's ecology might resemble Okinawa, but the politics and culture are all Middle Age Europe. The church controls everything and actively suppresses learning and progress to hold onto its power. The people are miserable and dogmatic. Everyone's dropping dead from forces nobody can explain (in real-life Europe it was the plague, in imaginary Spira it's Sin), and the church has everybody convinced that it's divine punishment. Then there's the Al Bhed, who've got to be analogous to the "Saracens" that Christian Europe feared and hated (despite the Islamic world's being far more advanced in just about every way possible).

If the art from the Dark Ages -- particularly the Black Death years -- tells us anything, it's that the culture of the time was preoccupied with death. Final Fantasy X's story illustrates this on a more literal level. Everything in Spira revolves around death. Sin kills everyone. The dead literally rule over the living through the Yevon theocracy. The fiends (for some reason, the word "monster" just isn't good enough anymore) are composed of dead souls who resent the living. The Fayth are limbo-trapped souls who desperately want to die. Summoners ritualistically travel to a dead city to meet a dead queen so they can sacrifice their friends, and then themselves, to hold the big death at bay for a little while.

Why some JRPGs are so enamoured with anticlericalism I can't say. One might surmise that it's indirectly pillorying the bureaucratic and political corruption of modern Japan.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 30, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kemix posted:

I had the unfortunate 'pleasure' of playing KH3D and...he DOES show up...in a minigame...which we never see him...which involves those loving STUPID DREAM EATERS WHY THE gently caress DID THEY HAVE TO BE TIED TO ABILITIES ALLIWANTEDWASFUCKINGSECONDCHANCEANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay...Okay, I'm calm...I'm calm...Anyways. Don't play Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. It's an exercise in frustration, forced grinding and...virtual pets that have to be in different dispositions to unlock certain abilities because gently caress you, Second Chance is tied to a Dream Eater you won't get the recipe for until...about two thirds through the game and gently caress the final bosses...gently caress the story...lets play a GOOD game and forget Kingdom Hearts even exists.

Learn to write, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

The best scene in all of the Final Fantasy games. I will fight you if you say otherwise.

- Barret date.
- The Irish jig from FFVIII.
- That part from FFXIII where they discuss their Focus.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 30, 2016

• Locked thread