Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I love everything about this game, and the only thing they could improve about it would be the loading times on battles. it never bothers me when I play, but it's something that could definitely be decreased. they could up the graphics, but honestly I think they're perfect the way they are.

looking forward to the rest of the LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty baffled about why they created this elaborate minigame that can be played from here all the way to the very end of the game, and didn't give you any way to turn it into useful stuff for the 'main' gameplay.

... Why?

I like to think it's just them saying "you know, people play games sometimes, so let's give this world a game". I like that there's nothing of any real importance tied to it. it's just some card game people play with no extra point. like MtG or something

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Just "Ya! Ho!" So kind of a generic grunt. Nicely localized!

this whole game has a fantastic localisation. I don't think there's a better one in a mainline FF

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I mean I know it's not the end of the world, but I'm the kind of dude who will reset vs the Luca Goers and actually spent a day trying (and failing) to get a shiny starter. If I CAN do it, I feel like I should do it. This is one that, like the Goers, feels really unfair.

All this Steiner love is surprising to me. I just couldn't stand the guy. Even at this point, going into the game knowing he's a party member, I wanted him to go away.

Steiner always in the main party whenever possible is the right way to play

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Xenocides posted:

(future character)

I think Mega64 asked for spoiler tags for that kind of thing

I'm reading through TWD's LP again just because this one can't update fast enough. I enjoy the different tones each of you is going/went for though, as there's something to be said for mostly playing it straight.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
re: trance talk

I think it makes perfect sense that Trance wears off after a battle, because it's "induced by a surge of emotion". it wouldn't make quite as much narrative sense if you could just keep it and use it whenever.

I guess that doesn't necessarily mean you should like how that system plays out in battles, but I think it's a nice touch to try and connect the narrative effects to the battle system

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

In other words, Tetra Master was designed by Yoko Taro and Akitoshi Kawazu.

I think if Taro Yoko had a hand in it, losing a card game would mean a 25% chance of your save being deleted.

also you would have to play a card game right before the last boss

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm at work while reading this so i cant open any tindeck links but i still hear the music in my head. One thing I feel I should point out which I love is that in that last fmv, it plays a different more up-tempo version of the forest-escape theme from before. Any other game would probably have just pasted the other version over the movie and called it a day. Such a small touch but I loved it.

another thing of note is that a couple updates ago, when Garnet runs through the band during the kidnapping and knocks them all over, the music distorts as they spin around.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

How does Steiner reconcile the idea that he should be returning the Princess to the castle when she herself obviously doesn't want to go back?

It's for her own good and she doesn't understand how much danger she's in, pretty much

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
X is a much better game with the expert sphere grid, having played it with both

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I've never not had Zidane win. he's just too cool not to. plus, while Freya has been training, it's not like Zidane is a slouch in a fight, and he's quick, which seems to matter more in a festival of this nature

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I honestly have no idea what you need the Needle Fork for and I look forward to finding out.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

Another thing is that Brahne only became evil fairly recently.
Garnet remembers her from when she was good, and certainly thinks that Brahne can become good again just as easy as she became evil.
Even Zidane and Cid do not have actual proof about Brahne's corruption at this time in the story.

I don't know what you mean by proof of her corruption, but they know the Black Waltzes, which tried to kill them all, were sent by the castle; they saw the Alexandria war banner by North Gate, which leads to Burmecia; they know the black mages are being produced by Alexandria, and they now know the black mages are the ones attacking Burmecia. Cid said that Lindblum already knew bad things were happening in Alexandria, so they probably have either informants or friends there who relay information.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
it's astonishing when, in this day and age and with how easy it is to verify "if I remember right", how infrequently people choose to do so.

I love Lindblum. it feels massive, and there's always something new to discover

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Why are the best tracks one-time only?

because that's what happens when you write music for situations and not just generic music to be reused later

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kemix posted:

I would like to make a little note on Chocobo Hot and Cold (since I'm on disk 3 and a LOT of chocographs are available at this point) DON'T try to do it all at once. It'll probably take hours to do, even all at once. You WILL burn out and you might not complete the game if that happens, do a few story events between delving into the game-wide CH&C your mind will thank you for it. Oh, and rule of thumb? If you find an item and have about 5-6 seconds left on the clock? Dig like crazy and you'll get it most likely. You can get an item/10 second bonus/8 item cutoff on 0 seconds since the hidden milliseconds count.

if you don't dig up all the chocographs as soon as they're available, I don't know what to tell you, other than that's very wrong.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the best part is that people's confusion makes no sense in-universe. do they just sit at tables putting down cards and saying "... well, I guess you win this time for no reason"?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Shoehead posted:

This is how we played Pokemon when I was a kid.

....granted

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

We never see Red Mages actually cast any magic, colored or otherwise. We just assume they're Red Mages because they dress like the typical FF Red Mage. It's entirely possible they're not Red Mages at all.

One of them is named something like "Red Mage _______" or "Red Mage" (can't remember which), so they're definitely an in-universe thing. just their skillset is a complete mystery.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Maybe it's a really old map before the name of the region was changed to reflect a slightly different translation. My hometown's region was originally spelled with a "zur", after the family who settled it, but it's spelled with a "zer" now, presumably because it looks better/for no real reason at all. the realistic world building :v:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

zakharov posted:

Ironically, playing the PS version on a modern TV makes the game much harder, since chocobo tracks become essentially invisible in the pixelated world map.

if you don't know where they are by heart, then I don't know what to tell you

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know, after looking at the FFX LP, I came to realize just how few (if any) enemy recolors are in this game compared to its successor.

FFX wrote itself into a corner with that due to having the different enemy types and how only certain characters could attack them reliably to begin with. I don't think the game really suffered that much for it, though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

FFIX is super popular in the west these days. Everybody with an internet connection and a forum to post about it on goes on about how it's the most underrated game ever and way better than 7 or 8.

VII had a coherent story, goofy characters, and a terrible translation. VIII had a less coherent story (with a lot of its cool world building stuff hidden too well), a lot of great character moments, and a good translation. IX had a good story, great characters, a bunch of references to past games, and a great translation/localisation

for KH talk, I have recently been playing through Birth By Sleep in the 2.5 collection, and it's surprisingly good (way better than Chain of Memories). the battle system is actually fun and not stupid like some of the other deviations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
anyone who thinks the first KH is the best one needs to remember that for most of the game, you have to run slowly to everywhere, the mandatory gummi stuff was terrible, and the menu system was crap.

god if I don't love it though

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if you didn't play Chain of Memories you're better off just reading a wiki article about the story because it takes less time to do that than it does to play the game and figure out it's not worth it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Looks like I do. That should be in the next update.

I love that whatever's going to be in the next update seems to be as much a surprise to you as to us

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I have never wanted a video game character to die more than Brahne after that look of glee on her face when I first played this years ago

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Boy, Freya doesn't do it for me as a character. That reunion is, like, the climax of her character arc so far and it's a dud. Give me Puck instead, he has a personality and could act as the game's token rat person.

Edit: Is Dagger's plot line meant to be happening at the same time as Zidane/Freya's? Because in a relatively short time span, we saw Brahne in Burmecia, then in Alexandria for Dagger's capture, then here. That's a lot of travelling

they aren't strictly concurrent. it takes the party a while to get to Cleyra, and Brahne travels by airship.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

She's already stolen everything that matters and massacred them with impunity. That Odin-dunk was just spiteful. Or cruel.

she was just following the natural instinct of trying out a new summon when it became available. we should all be so fortunate to have it happen in a cutscene where the power is hundred-fold

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I want to say VII has the most sensible outfits of the lot? Even looking past Tifa's fanservice outfit it makes sense for a Monk. Nothing too glaring (hi Garnet), no dumb capes in the way (hi Rinoa), no weird bellybutton exposing thing (hi Ashe), no Spiran influence (hi FFX).

Garnet's outfit isn't really that ridiculous for a runaway princess, I don't think. I mean, she's wearing a jumpsuit(?) and a blouse.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I like Dagger more as a character, so that's who I use

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
there are a lot of hints that Zidane is more than just a skirt chaser, but once you get to the Outer Continent, it gets a lot more explicit that he's been through some poo poo but has come out okay, which I like

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 10, 2016

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Does it now? I could've sworn you could still get in. I know you can at least reach the entrance because that's where one of the moogles for the Mognet sidequest resides. I do recall seeing a stipulation that Quina has to be in your party to get there, was s/he on your team when you tested that out?

I'm pretty sure there's a gate that shuts

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Or actually working together. Where was Scarlet Hair this whole time?

I don't think they were ever really working together. Brahne just hired them at the same time, but you can tell from the beginning that Scarlet Hair is way more interested in Zidane than Garnet's jewel

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

Huh. Is this the first actual one-on-one fight in the game?

Other than, like, Zidane and Baku going at it?

technically, there's the Festival of the Hunt.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Doctor Tot ist tod

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

[Zidane]'s not especially smart

I'm not sure where you get that idea. he's not an academic scholar or something, but Zidane is quite intelligent. he's quick to see through people's schemes (like Steiner's in Dali) and he's generally quick on his feet. he's good at reading people's emotions and giving them a pep talk (Vivi), and while he's occasionally juvenile where Dagger is concerned, you can tell there are deeper things to his relationship with her than just chasing a pretty girl.

his motivations are simple, but that doesn't mean he is.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Plavski posted:

Those couple of hours give Eiko ridiculously huge amounts of plot development and she already becomes essential to the story. Amarant could never join and you'd never miss him.

how would they have gotten the stones back then, huh? :colbert:

also, to be fair, it's entirely possible that you don't get Quina until you go to Fossil Roo, so you could get all of them within a couple hours of each other

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I know this seems like a minor thing but, well, it does play into a problem with the character I think.

Beatrix. When you first meet and fight her, this is her theme. Mega went for the "Mystery Sword" title, which is indeed the first title I ever heard for the song.

However, YouTube has it called "Sword of Doubt" and FF Wiki calls it "The Wavering Blade." If anyone knows Japanese, this is apparently the original name: 迷いの剣, Mayoi no Tsurugi

Now, I have seen many FFIX songs with many different translated titles. Indeed, it can be irritating. But something like "Loss of Me" being Rose of May (Beatrix's other theme, the piano one) is less of a problem because they both work.

However, with the first song, the title seems to clearly be suggesting Beatrix is uneasy about what she's doing; that she is hesitating in her duty to her queen. We see only a hint of this later on and it only really arises when Garnet is to be executed.

The fact is, Beatrix led two invasions that resulted in genocide and showed absolutely no remorse for any of it, in spite of what the song would have us believe. She's forgiven a bit too quickly, in my view. I often see her likened to this General Leo guy but even though I never made it far into VI, it always looked to me like Leo was kept in the dark as to just how depraved his Emperor was. Beatrix knew full well the mind of her own power-mad monarch.

she really didn't, though. or at least we have no real reason to believe she was privy to all the plans. the black mages have done most of the killing, and as far as Beatrix knew they were only invading and occupying (see: post Cleyra). she was as surprised as everyone else with what Brahne did.

Beatrix's only known actions are dealing with the party and commanding the human forces. plus, she shows remorse in Alexandria after the party gets there for Dagger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Karia posted:

Alternate explanation: she thinks that the black mages and eidolans are overkill. Sure it's an ego thing, but it's also about honor. Her troops could take and hold Cleyra and Burmecia without needing to massacre everyone, but the magic can't do anything but kill. Beatrix doesn't understand why they aren't using her troops to take what they want without bloodshed. I will definitely acknowledge that Beatrix's characterization is pretty minimal, but it's clear from how she leaves your party alive every time that she doesn't like killing people she doesn't have to. The comment about gratitude is just reflecting on the changes she sees in Brahne as she comes to realize more and more that she and everyone else are just being used as tools by a monarch who is barely recognizable as the woman she first worked for.

this is the way I always read that scene. she immediately asks for forgiveness from the people of Burmecia when she gets back to the castle and turns on Brahne immediately when she confirms that she has gone completely off the deep end and is trying to off the princess.

• Locked thread