Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
After having watched the game speedrun and LP'd many times, I finally picked it up and played it for myself earlier this year. Good game, but not my favorite Fantasy. Used a Walkthrough cause I like not missing stuff when it comes to games I don't plan on playing more than once. I'll be keeping tabs on this LP, just because I like LPs of games more after I've played them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I couldn't help but hate Steiner. His antics in the early game weren't even close to endearing and they soured me on the guy. I threw him out of what would be my endgame party out of pure spite. FFIX was actually pretty up and down with me on characters. I can think of a few party members that I wanted nothing to do with. Maybe this LP will show me what I didn't grasp in my own playthrough though, that's certainly possible.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Brony Hunter posted:

Also, FFIX has an amazing attention to detail. Many of these little bits of dialogue, these seemingly unimportant NPCs and tidbits of lore you can find in the prologue will all come into play later in the game. FFIX rewards those with long memories.

This is the kind of stuff in RPGs that is either hit or miss and I'd call this one a miss. "Hey, do you remember this random tidbit of information from hours (if not days or weeks) ago? No? gently caress you." Unless you wrote it down, which isn't something I'd imagine a kid would do, who is going to remember that kind of thing? I mean it's not like it's relevant later on Disc 1. It's on Disc 3! That's preposterous. The Knight thing that is.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Twib posted:

The Knight thing comes into play once in what's probably the shortest sidequest in the game, and the only reward is nice, but ultimately something that's possible to gain multiple copies of. The sidequest is really just there to add more depth to the setting.

I mean I know it's not the end of the world, but I'm the kind of dude who will reset vs the Luca Goers and actually spent a day trying (and failing) to get a shiny starter. If I CAN do it, I feel like I should do it. This is one that, like the Goers, feels really unfair.

All this Steiner love is surprising to me. I just couldn't stand the guy. Even at this point, going into the game knowing he's a party member, I wanted him to go away.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Garnet is a character I walked away from this game really remembering. Her, Zidane, the main antagonist, and one other character we'll see later. Maybe it's the name, it's really great. Princess Garnet Til Alexandros. Comparisons to Yuna...just don't quite hit the mark to me. Garnet is a strong character sure, but she doesn't come close to the "plot centers around me and ends with me" thing that Yuna had goin on. Zidane, Garnet, and Vivi is already 3/4ths of my endgame party and I have no regrets about it.

David Corbett posted:

I didn't think that FFIV's end-game party was in any way deficient, honestly. There certainly weren't any characters I wanted on the team that weren't there, and the ones that were missing had darn good reasons for not being there. FFIV character discussion below.

Edward: Garbage. Hanging out in a castle populated entirely by women (and frogs).
Palom: Not as good as Rosa. Literally a child. Usually stoned.
Porom: Not as good as Rydia. See above.
Tellah: Went out trying to save the world from Golbez.
FuSoYa: Went out trying to save the world with Golbez.
Yang: Exploded in a cannon. Taken care of by fairies. Formidable wife. Not as good as Edge.
Cid: Exploded in a suicide bombing. Taken care of by Dwarves. Formidable beard. Not as good as Kain.

You switched the twins, mate.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
"Why are you glowing?"
"Oh, it's just a thing that happens sometimes. Then I can do crazy magic poo poo."
"That's prolly Trance."
"K."

I love video games.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Brony Hunter posted:

Steiner and Vivi make such a great team. The Tantalus crew are fun as well, you can really feel the camaraderie even whilst they're beating the crap out of each other or talking poo poo to each other.

It's a shame Magic Sword uses Steiner's low MP rather than Vivi's larger pool, it'd be even better if that were the case.

Magic Sword is already pretty OP. If it used Vivi's MP, it'd be even more completely insane.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MonsieurChoc posted:

Especially if you've also been extensively playing the best minigame.

Triple Triad isn't in FFIX though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You accidentally referred to Triple Triad in the tutorial. I really liked the Friendly Monsters sidequest. It's one that you can do without going way out of your way and it's not too complex to discover and complete. Plus the rewards are way worth it.

kalonZombie posted:

Triple Triad is garbage compared to this minigame.

Also Triple Triad is dumb.

I think this minigame is pretty overrated, but I've been wrong before. Also you're dumb. :colbert:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The only thing I don't like is you don't get the chance to change it back. At least from what I remember. I think there comes a point where you could have. And chosen from a few worthy choices to rename.

Auto-Regen is broken as all hell. There reached a point where I honestly didn't feel like I could lose. Sure some battles dragged, but I didn't think I'd die. More like I'd get bored and cut the game off.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't imagine what it must be like having an existential crisis with a monkey man next to you screaming about mist or whatever. And this update reminded me of why I didn't like Steiner. He's a pompous rear end in a top hat. The question "Who decides right and wrong? You?" is something he failed to answer and will continue to not answer for a while.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Endorph posted:

that's called a character arc

One I didn't find to be very good was the point, but of course we can't get into that for a few months or however long this ride may take.

mkwong98 posted:

A grown man would probably turn evil and become the final boss.

The screams of a monkey man can definitely turn a man evil, that's what happened to Broly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
How are people judging Final Fantasy fans? I've played every game in the main series except 11 at least once, beaten quite a few, but I still consider myself a fan. I dunno it feels like saying someone is only a "fan" of Batman if they haven't read every single comic including Detective Comics, And Robin, and all the other Bat titles. That's absurd. If you have played any Final Fantasy and enjoyed it, you are a fan.

W.T. Fits posted:

The entire plot of FF III was caused by an ancient, omnipotent wizard giving his three disciples the following gifts:
  • Vast magical knowledge
  • Dominion over the realm of dreams
  • Mortality
... and the guy getting stuck with the last one freaking the gently caress out and stopping the progression of time just to keep himself from eventually having to die.

I may not like FFIII, but that part of it is golden. Talk about sympathizing with a villain. How could you not get pissed off in that situation? Clearly you were the least favorite and you got completely hosed. That sort of "In the same situation, I might've made the same choice" is actually SUPER relevant to this game and I love it.

SorataYuy posted:

I just mean the Final Fantasy fandom in general has turned out, at least in my experience, to be one of the biggest group of overgrown, selective-memoried, apparently-drug-addled whiny babbies that are never loving happy with anything done with this series, that I have ever had the misfortune to run across. Here, it has been a little different for the most part - I've actually enjoyed the discussions most of the time, it's been interesting. Enjoying the heck out of the thread, too, especially since I've been unable to get my system running or emulator configured properly (I miss being able to play my PSX games. :'( )

If you wanted to, you could describe just about every fan base this way. Your contributions to this page have been amazing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its his off hand dagger, the one that doesnt change to reflect equipment changes.

That looks like something Squall would be using. Am I the only one who sees a gunblade?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Steiner's Trance is menacing as hell, no wonder he's the Captain. I'm glad they wrote in Zidane seeing straight through Steiner, I like competent characters. I also think BW#2's script is neat.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That's my fourth. Freya is a great utility player. She can serve the anchor role of doing whatever you might need that you aren't getting from Zidane/Vivi/Garnet. The remaining playable characters were all a waste of space at this point.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dastardly posted:

Looks like a beetle/cockroach with a skull for a face.

Oglops are great, because often in games there are characters who are "beautiful" or "tough" and you kinda have to take the character's word for it. In this game though, most people are freaked out by oglops, and they're legitimately freaky looking. They give me the creeps.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm loving this level 1 run, but I can tell we're just scratching the surface. We haven't really gotten to the "Holy poo poo, how is that even possible?" yet. Which is equally intriguing since that shows how far you can get in the game at level 1 without having to do much.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Sword of Kings is one of the story ones. It's either the Tournesol or Wyrmhero Blade blade you're thinking of.

I may be having a moment of stupidity, but I think you've missed an Earthbound reference.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I had Zidane win, because I couldn't resist killing the Zaghnol. I had no idea that Zidane would have to be KO'd to allow Freya to win. I figured Zidane would be the heaviest hitter in my party, so he might as well be the coolest as well. I also had no knowledge of the Wrist thing and gil sounded nice.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rarity posted:

Unlike the likes of Yuna

What. Tidus is along for the ride in Yuna's story. Everything that happens is because of her. She listens to Auron and Lulu sure, but the climax of the game comes when she makes a decision on what to do with Sin. She also took matters into her own hands regarding Gyscal and Seymour. You don't have to be Lightning to be a female character with agency.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I tried Chocobo Hot & Cold, but I didn't think much of it. It was okay. After this point in the game, I never went back that I can remember. You don't really need the ultimate weapons to beat this game and if the way of getting ultimate weapons isn't fun (I'm looking at you, FFX) then I just pass. The music is catchy though, that can't be denied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That tidbit about Vivi is amazing. I don't know why, but I love things like Grand Dragons in video games. It's something unique entirely to this form of artwork. Like I remember playing Kingdom Hearts 1 for the first time and being like "Oh, I wonder who ??? is. Holy poo poo, it's Sephir-" Dead. It gives you something to work toward assuming you don't know the tricks. Because, at least with my play style, the first thing on the list of things to do when the map is open to us in its entirety is to come back and beat that fucker into dust.

• Locked thread