Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

IX is such an easy game, overall, that the best thing to do is just stick with whoever you like best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Card Game just explains basic rules for Triple Triad. Since this is a short update, I'll go ahead and let the game discuss status effects and elements.

I suppose this would be the only thing more useless than explaining the rules for Tetra Master, but I think you have something a little mixed up.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I think this is where I first started to warm up to Steiner, and understand his character a bit.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

FinalGamer posted:

Or, yanno, just bring the loving game out on Steam or something. :eng99:

That would require a from-scratch rebuild - not only was there never a PC version of 9, but there was never an non-PS1 version. The only FF games that are on Steam right now were either made in the multi-platform era (XIII, XIII-2), already had PC releases (VII, VIII), or were already rebuilt from scratch (III, IV). If they were going to port I, II, V, and VI, they'd at least have the code for the process (from the Advance or mobile versions), but IX was never intended to appear off of the original platforms, and nearly all the assets used to make the game were discarded.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Endorph posted:

10 and 10-2 aren't on there either.

Neither is I, II, V, or VI

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Hmmm... Looks like there's no place to insert the medal.

I've always been under the impression that this is a Resident Evil 2 reference, as that game required you to insert a medal into a similarly-themed statue. Was that ever confirmed or refuted? It seems like an odd thing to reference in an FF game.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

I'm not even sure what the word oglop's origins are. I'm vaguely assuming that 'glop' is based off of the 'gwok' noises Cid is making, but past that... :shrug:

"Glop" is an English word that has fallen out of the vernacular that means an unpleasant mass of something mushy - a cheap diner meal might be, for example, described as oily chicken with a glop of mashed potatoes. I wonder if the translator was inspired by the sound of the Japanese name instead of the meaning.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Mega64 posted:

We've got plans for that Moogle Suit. Actually, I don't know if you actually do anything with the Moogle Suit, but it's ours now, dammit.

FF5 and FF6 both had opportunities where you could dress as a moogle, where in FF5 you can use a costume to seduce a moogle into giving you an elven mantle, and in FF6 it was a costume that Strago and Relm could wear and appear as a moogle in-battle.

Another example - X-2 opens with Yuna disguised in a moogle suit, and it's the costume for her Mascot dressphere.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Sum Mors posted:

Only system that makes me angry enough to not play through the game again is FF8. Why attach stats to drawn magic? It makes me want to never, ever use magic because my stats will then go down and I'll have to re-draw it all over again. Rest of it I can either ignore or grind at my leisure.

Just refine all your spells. Drawing is rarely useful in FF8 unless you hate the card game AND insist on keeping your level low so you never get any decent drops.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

Actually Aeris is pretty strong-willed and makes her own decisions quite a bit. It's Tifa who usually doesn't do anything unless she's told.

Meanwhile the entire plot of FFX is driven by Yuna with Tidus little more than a tag-along until late in the game, and XII's entire plot is based around Ashe and her decisions about how and if to reclaim her throne. The only FF female lead from this era that really fits the "no agency" concept is Rinoa.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

SorataYuy posted:

For that matter, except for Brave Fencer Musashi and Grandia II, have there ever been any RPGs where the legends and myths turned out to be wrong? Like completely, utterly, got everything completely the opposite of what the truth actually was, and it was mostly just made up because... well, just because.

FFT's Zodiac Brave Story?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I always thought that Quan was a "bigot" because the Qu had some sort of "food that talks is not food" rule, but Quan didn't apply that to non-Qu. Don't know where I got that from, and it's probably wrong.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Tactics explicitly mentions that moogles are extinct (in the description for Sweegy Woods/The Siege Weald), and there having been a global apocalypse is a significant backstory element.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It never clicked with me that this is why I remember FFIX being far too easy a game. I never consciously realized just how out of place the equipment you can get with Hot and Cold is.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

If I had to hazard a guess, I suspect that they originally planed to either make it available at the -ra level or have each of the -aga spells on a different piece of equipment the way the -ra spells work. If that was the case, it would be entirely plausible to only have one flavor of your most powerful spell tier available only to find that there's a lot of stuff immune to it (especially if they designed the ability list before they worked out the game progression), and this would give the player a way to mitigate that risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

From what I understand, it used to be very common for plays to include a lot of improvised and/or ad-libbed dialog. Not only did players had to keep so many different plays in their head, the authors tended to keep tweaking them as the performance went on - this lead to the wrong lines being said, or the right lines said at the right time, and the only way to avoid a disastrous flop was improvisation. Making matters worse, in Shakespeare's day the concept of "intellectual property" didn't exist, and printers ran off unauthorized copies of popular plays in large numbers, getting these plays by having players provide their half remembered parts. There might easily be twenty or thirty different versions of the same play being performed at any given time, and as actors traveled between companies this introduced further garbling.

• Locked thread