Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

What is this?

Ushio & Tora is a new anime from studio MAPPA based on a shounen manga of the same name by Kazuhiro Fujita. Ushio is a 14 year old middle school student that lives with his priest father in a run down temple. One day while cleaning out the storage shed at the temple, Ushio discovers a hidden door leading to a basement which contains Tora, a yokai that looks very much like a tiger, and the beast spear which is impaling him. Opening the door unfortunately unleashes Tora's youki (demon energy or whatever), which attracts other yokai which start to threaten the lives of his friends.

In order to save his friends, Ushio frees Tora from the beast spear, changing his life dramatically...

Opening/Ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt8W_FA3QBE:black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2YALKm2WcQ

Characters

Ushio Aotsuki

A 14 year old middle schooler who is good at sports and loves drawing, though he's terrible at the latter. He's a single child who's never met his mother, very headstrong, and wields the beast spear to protect himself and his friends.

Tora

An ancient daiyoukai who's been sealed with the beast spear for over 500 years. Used to spend his days devouring innocents and making earth a living hell for all of humanity. Nowadays he spends his time looking for a chance to eat Ushio. Most people cannot see him.

Asako Nakamura

A hotheaded and tomboyish childhood friend of Ushio and Mayuko. Her family owns a ramen shop, and her father is a pretty swell guy. She has an extreme crush on Ushio but refuses to admit it.

Mayuko Inoue

Ushio and Asako's best friend, she is the most calm and relaxed of the three. Also harbors feelings for Ushio, but nowhere near as strongly as Asako.

Shigure Aotsuki

Ushio's father and a priest of the Kouhamei sect of Buddhism.

Where can I watch this?
Crunchyroll is streaming this series for US audiences.

What can I expect from this?
Comedy, Action, lots of death and tons of grotesque yokai. This series is very 90s, so if you liked series like YuYu Hakusho or Hunter x Hunter you may well like this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

reserved for more gifs

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Who's the best cat? It's you Tora!! It's you!!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's surreal seeing this series in 2015. I thought seeing Parasyte again was weird enough, but here we are.

Gonna be watching this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tora owns, especially when he demonstrates how different he is from a living organism.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

calvin & hobbes anime adaptation lookin good

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I am looking forward to weekly episodes of Ushio and Tora as well as Dragon Ball.

It is 1993, gently caress what the calendars say.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 8, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

1993 was a good year because japan was still on track to take over the world

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

1993 was a good year because japan was still on track to take over the world

And in the cool cyberpunk way, not the Bataan Death March way.

Show has some cool details, like I said in the season thread. I like how Ushio is actually the lead rear end-kicker, with Tora as his press-ganged sidekick (it's generally a good idea for the protagonist to have stuff to do), and how the masquerade works (basically, you get used to seeing youkai with consistent exposure, and Ushio just had a big head-start).

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I remember seeing episodes of this as a kid waaay back when I found some local access channel that aired subbed anime late at night. I read the manga recently so this gonna be great to get back into!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Episode 2 aired today. It was pretty good and stayed mostly true to the manga. There was some points where it had really obvious animation saving going on, but otherwise it was a good episode.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I was curious, but is it ok to post links to manga chapters the tv series skips? I was thinking I'd post skipped chapters in between episodes (there are none yet but it's certain to happen soon).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's cool to link stuff that hasn't been licensed, and since there isn't a legal way to read it go ahead and post.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I liked the first half of the show for the silly comedy bits, which it does really well, but the action stuff at the end left a bitter taste. I think my main issue is that the villain this episode had a super generic "evil rear end in a top hat monster" personality that annoyed the hell out of me, and Ushio and Tora's banter was pretty predictable during the fight stuff. I'll try one more episode, but I don't know.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ushio is such a weird dude that no one bats an eye when he brings a spear to school and starts waving it around.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i wonder if ushio will be in trouble when his dad gets back

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Ushio is such a weird dude that no one bats an eye when he brings a spear to school and starts waving it around.

Spear? Nah, it is just a spear-shaped object wrapped in cloth.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

Spear? Nah, it is just a spear-shaped object wrapped in cloth.

I love this show so much.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Paper Triangle posted:

i wonder if ushio will be in trouble when his dad gets back

Yes and no...

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Ushio ate his Chinese bun so you better believe there will be hell to pay

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

vibratingsheep posted:

I am looking forward to weekly episodes of Ushio and Tora as well as Dragon Ball.

It is 1993, gently caress what the calendars say.

It's not just those two, Ranma's back in spirit, there's a Sailor Moon episode popping out every once in a while (even if it's really weird looking), there was just two years of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure... Good anime is back.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
There's a new Ranma ½?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

rin-ne

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I read this manga some a while back and remember wondering why Tora couldn't just kill Ushio in his sleep.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I read this manga some a while back and remember wondering why Tora couldn't just kill Ushio in his sleep.

Because Tora always has to make a speech about it first, and he is very loud.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ytlaya posted:

it's explained in the manga

ushio sleeps with the spear and it sounds whenever tora even thinks about eating him

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Because Tora, as has been abundantly demonstrated so far, is dumb as a brick.

On the plus side, he's a diligent history student. :3:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Tora's a huge dork and I love him for it :allears:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I don't remember all the details of the manga anymore, but the OVA does have a scene where Tora tries to kill Ushio in his sleep, and gets slapped around by the Spear for his trouble.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This is fun so far. The spear is demonstrably the coolest melee weapon

so I'm glad it's getting some love.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ushio is all right, but it isn't fair to compare him to Balsa due to how unbelievably rad she is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Balsa is the best.

Ushio is rad as heck tho

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Shinjobi posted:

Balsa is the best.

Ushio is rad as heck tho

Balsa is completely rad--when something actually happens. But Ushio wins because his story isn't glacially boring.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Imma let that slide cause this is an Ushio & Tora thread, but watch your back on the net bro. I'm e-serious as gently caress.:boom:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'll hold him down while you hit him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, Moribito was a pretty great show but I can totally understand someone being bored by it, especially if they watched it week to week on Adult Swim instead of binging it on DVD/Netflix/etc.

If you don't like THIS show on the other hand you are literally a double hitler

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

The OP for this rules. It's by Kinniku Shoujo Tai who have been around a long-rear end time and are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRP4cx74OpE

The vocalist Kenji Ohtsuki has also done a load of stuff, you might recognise him from the incredible ED to Welcome to the NHK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rCrEsvdxKs

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm really glad this is getting remade. It's such a simple, typical-for-its-type story (at least from what I remember of the OVA) but it does it with enough personality that it doesn't matter.

also

Flavahbeast posted:

calvin & hobbes anime adaptation lookin good

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm really glad they went with the 90s style instead of updating the art like Parasyte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

ViggyNash posted:

I liked the first half of the show for the silly comedy bits, which it does really well, but the action stuff at the end left a bitter taste. I think my main issue is that the villain this episode had a super generic "evil rear end in a top hat monster" personality that annoyed the hell out of me, and Ushio and Tora's banter was pretty predictable during the fight stuff. I'll try one more episode, but I don't know.

It is literally a generic evil rear end in a top hat monster that eats humans viciously in a 90's shounen anime adapt

• Locked thread