Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I like it a lot but please give Taihei a break. He's literally doing his best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

get this: her friends come over all the time but think chibi form is a different person

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

nice la

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

pandaK posted:

i bet theres going to be an episode where her friends are so worried about her because of reason of the week so they visit her home unannounced and she panics and has to figure out a way to maintain her image at home

her friend will be like umaru where are all your dank poetics but umaru will not have poetics, only jumpu

She'd probably gonna throw him under the bus and be like "he works all day and isn't there to spend time with me, and when he comes home, he refuses to spend time with me and just plays games and reads Jumpu, waah why is my life so terrible".

I guess I'll see if this continues. Maybe I should've checked out the manga before watching the show for once, since I usually prefer to go in fresh.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Namtab posted:

The sister seems extremely annoying and unsympathetic. I hope blue hair beats her one day.

Just in case people are curious, the manga does show signs of her growing up:

However, I can definitely understand being annoyed with the character and not willing to read far enough to get to that point.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Yeah, I'm the kind of monster who dropped My Neighbor Seki when it gave the impression of "guy has wacky antics, never gets in trouble, but his classmates does for noticing". Not my style of comedy, but if you enjoy it, good on you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

graybook posted:

Yeah, I'm the kind of monster who dropped My Neighbor Seki when it gave the impression of "guy has wacky antics, never gets in trouble, but his classmates does for noticing". Not my style of comedy, but if you enjoy it, good on you.

That is not always how Seki plays out, and it is good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 11, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Seki was good, because seki wasnt an rear end

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Seki-kun is good because it's not just Seki getting Yokoi in trouble. Sometimes one wins, sometimes the other. As time goes on, Yokoi pretty much drops the pretense that she's just watching her classmate play and actively engages with him and it's great.

It's nothing like Himouto, really.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Umaru is one step away from being this: http://fckyeahbachelorettefrog.tumblr.com/

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Umaru learns to be a good girl, who is nice to her friends and loves her big brother.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I made it up the the tantrum then decided I'd rather be castrated by rusty barbedwire than watch 24 minutes of this, let alone more than one episode.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Umaru learns to be a good girl, who is nice to her friends and loves her big brother.

But she isn't even a bad girl. She's freaking smart, easy to talk to, likes the junk food people normally like. She's already a good girl. She just needs to give her bro a break from time to time.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I made it up the the tantrum then decided I'd rather be castrated by rusty barbedwire than watch 24 minutes of this, let alone more than one episode.

this sounds like some thinly veiled self loathing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My self loathing is never thinly veiled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Anyone who behaves like this should loathe themselves, though?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Serious Frolicking posted:

Anyone who behaves like this should loathe themselves, though?

teenagers are selfish, self-loathing bundles of energy, hth

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
This show is pretty good and fun and cute, but it's sad how awful Crunchyroll's translation is. It reads like a non-native English speaker wrote it and the team behind it didn't care to hire an editor. The slangy netspeak is 100% wrong too, which is a shame because that's half the jokes. Like the early joke about Umaru checking up on her RSS feeds (or aggregate blogs, since she was specifically talking about matome) that somehow turned into "wiki sites about me". There's other hilarious, inexplicable mistakes like the subs mistaking "that" (are) for "curry" (kare) when Umaru is thinking about the snacks she's going to eat. I don't even know. It's total nonsense, and it's unfortunate that I pay for releases like this. I hear it's Toho's fault and CR can't do a thing about it, just like Haikyuu and other Toho streaming shows. Oh well!

The encode is very bad too, as seen here: http://diff.pics/bx51aTye5DPc/1

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 12, 2015

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i didn't even know crunchy had it until a day or so before it aired, so maybe something there got rushed through

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

Seki was good, because seki wasnt an rear end

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Umaru's still a terrible person but Shrimp-girl is cute in that helpless moe sort of way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm marathoning the manga, pretty ftw.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I can forgive Umaru when she's normal and cute. it's just chibi that rubs me the wrong way.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I see too much of my younger self in her chibi form to stop watching out of guilt.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Space Flower posted:

I can forgive Umaru when she's normal and cute.

how could you? it's just her way of getting what she wants

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

The blue haired rival with the cleft palate is the best character in the manga.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

The blue haired rival with the cleft palate is the best character in the manga.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Blue haired girl is VERY ftw

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
As someone with 7 younger siblings I can tolerate Umaru easily. And at least she's being handled with originality and energy. The brother is the one that pisses me off. He's just the cardboard-cutout male protagonist who will go "what the heck!" in reaction to everything around him but is too devoid of character to actually do anything. And the idea that he just continuously gives in without building any sort of tolerance to her antics? I call pure bullshit on that.

Umaru is a little poo poo but she's not the problem with the show. It's the unrealistic older brother who bends over backwards to cater to her every demand and enable her. But it's anime norm at this point for female characterization to get blamed for things that are really the fault of the shoddy male self-insert.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Please don't get so offended by older brothers

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Older bros have nothing to do with it. I just dislike that so many anime protagonists are completely static and reactionary, making their every interaction with other characters stale and one-sided. Anime comedies would be so much better if everybody could follow Daily Lives of Highschool Boys' example and just write their Tadakunis straight out of the plot.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Space Flower posted:

Older bros have nothing to do with it. I just dislike that so many anime protagonists are completely static and reactionary, making their every interaction with other characters stale and one-sided. Anime comedies would be so much better if everybody could follow Daily Lives of Highschool Boys' example and just write their Tadakunis straight out of the plot.

I would agree in the right context of course, but this show is clearly about 1 character

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Space Flower posted:

As someone with 7 younger siblings I can tolerate Umaru easily. And at least she's being handled with originality and energy. The brother is the one that pisses me off. He's just the cardboard-cutout male protagonist who will go "what the heck!" in reaction to everything around him but is too devoid of character to actually do anything. And the idea that he just continuously gives in without building any sort of tolerance to her antics? I call pure bullshit on that.

Umaru is a little poo poo but she's not the problem with the show. It's the unrealistic older brother who bends over backwards to cater to her every demand and enable her. But it's anime norm at this point for female characterization to get blamed for things that are really the fault of the shoddy male self-insert.

Kill all men

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

hello new steam av

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

Kill all men

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Watching this anime is making me unreasonably mad. This is too close to real life for me. I'm okay with the brother because he seems to be able to work around her bs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is the new watamote..................hosed up

• Locked thread