Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

The newest slice of life show from two writers from the ero-novel company Nitroplus, neither of which have Wikipedia pages, this show focuses on the daily lives of 4 high school girls and their host teacher in the "School Living Club" and their interations both with other club members as well as other students and faculty in the school. Being fairly rewritten from the source material due to much of it not adapting well to the silver screen, this talkie looks to be the newest moeshit of the season! At least pink hair wears a cool hat!

Yuki Takeya
The genki pink hair one. She wears a cool hat and always tries to keep everyone looking up.

Kurumi Ebisuzawa
Chuuni twintails who carries around a shovel. She babbles about dumb stuff a lot, and acts like a protector for the group.

Yūri Wakasa
Longhair mother figure. She acts as the groups leader, and takes charge of situations.

Miki Naoki
Was originally introduced much later in the plot. She's oblivious to social situations sometimes, and can be cold sometimes.

Megumi Sakura
The host teacher. She helps the group out a lot, and she's really nice all the time, though she's really quiet and can get ignored a lot.

Tarōmaru
:shibe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't believe his lies.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The rug pullingest show of the season!

No really that first episode was great, and the fact that they made the material last until the very end, while annoyingly fillery, was a pretty good choice in this case.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ice rear end thread.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
:shibe:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is it me, or does the art in the show look a great deal more cutesy? The characters all look younger as a result. And the dog went from looking like a kinda stylized dog to looking like a mascot character

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Ice rear end thread.

I'll ice your rear end bitch. Just kidding, have a safe one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The true test is whether the gimmick will manage to be interesting past the first episode.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is it me, or does the art in the show look a great deal more cutesy? The characters all look younger as a result. And the dog went from looking like a kinda stylized dog to looking like a mascot character

The dog is anime original though.

edit: vvvv Oh yeah, guess I've failed my anime midterms.

.Clash fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 10, 2015

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

.Clash posted:

The dog is anime original though.

It's not completely.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ViggyNash posted:

The true test is whether the gimmick will manage to be interesting past the first episode.

depends on A. how close they stick to the manga and B. whether you consider what was most of the first episode the gimmick or the ending

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

the manga barely relies on it, but idk how close this will stick to it

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

depends on A. how close they stick to the manga and B. whether you consider what was most of the first episode the gimmick or the ending

By gimmick I mean the mc girl living in her own world inside her head. It made for a great bait-and-switch intro to the show, but that's a one-use opportunity.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I'd avoid this, except "slice of life by Nitroplus" sounds wrong and therefore interesting... maybe.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ViggyNash posted:

By gimmick I mean the mc girl living in her own world inside her head. It made for a great bait-and-switch intro to the show, but that's a one-use opportunity.

Just going by the manga, you don't ever see the world through that girl's delusional eyes again, IIRC.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Just going by the manga, you don't ever see the world through that girl's delusional eyes again, IIRC.

Hmm. I'll give it 3 episodes, but the next couple episodes better introduce something interesting to replace the gimmick or it's not gonna work out.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
Watched the first episode. Was starting to get bored of the dog poo poo so sort of watched half heartedly to the end. Glad I did.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I can't help but think of that dog as a Chekhov's gun at this point.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've heard about this show. I don't know if I'm going to watch it though. It does sound interesting I'll give it that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tarezax posted:

That's good to hear - I'm not really looking for a moeblob lol cute highschoolgirls show. Nothing against 'em, just never been a big fan. Even Sabagebu lost my interest after a few episodes.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is either a metaphor for relentless positivity in the face of adversity, or a metaphor for the decision to never abandon friends even after they have lost their god drat minds and have become a liability.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
What makes you think she's the liability just because she's openly crazy?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Walking outside, breaking barriers, attracting attention from outside, or getting turned by something they couldn't see. These are all possibilities.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Tarezax posted:

yeah and the manga becomes way better cause of it too. So hopefully so will the anime.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Walking outside, breaking barriers, attracting attention from outside, or getting turned by something they couldn't see. These are all possibilities.

Yuki is less of a liability than she seems, just going by the conversation after she leaves the clubroom.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I don't know whether to envy or pity people who went into this blind.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
People who went in blind probably stopped around the 10 minute mark like I would have if my friend didnt insist i watch it through.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's called gakkou gurashi, gaijin scum

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Iretep posted:

People who went in blind probably stopped around the 10 minute mark like I would have if my friend didnt insist i watch it through.

I went in blind and we were just making fun of it the whole way through.

"Why is she allowed to take her dog to school?"

- "Because it's moe."

"She wouldn't be allowed to wear that stupid hat either."

- "She could wear a whole fursuit if enough people watching thought it was moe enough."

Ten minutes later:

"What in the actual gently caress?"

Don't ask me why we were watching it, we can't stand moe stuff. I honestly don't really know. I think my husband was drunk, that might explain it. Plus, no stupid fan service or incest made us turn it off so somehow we got through it. I think maybe we were waiting for the real reason why they were allowed to do all that stuff at school, and I guess we got it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Retro Access posted:

- "Because it's moe."

- "She could wear a whole fursuit if enough people watching thought it was moe enough."

Ten minutes later:

Don't ask me why we were watching it, we can't stand moe stuff. I honestly don't really know. I think my husband was drunk, that might explain it. Plus, no stupid fan service or incest made us turn it off so somehow we got through it. I think maybe we were waiting for the real reason why they were allowed to do all that stuff at school, and I guess we got it.

This is the kind of reaction I was hoping to see. :laugh:

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I wonder how long until the second big reveal.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Retro Access posted:

- "Because it's moe."

Ten minutes later:

idk what's wrong with you, because moe is good

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Moe is the saviour of anime.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
See, I knew of the twist, so my concern while watching the show was: Will the twist be pointless? Will the twist be hideously overwrought and exploitative? Well, it is somewhat overwrought, but not intolerably so. And the core theme thus far, a decision to never abandon a friend even after they become a liability, is an interesting one. It works on multiple levels. It is entirely consistent with the moe aesthetic. And it is a deliberate contrast to other pieces of zombie media, where character immediately start infighting and jettisoning unreliable individuals.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boogaleeboo posted:

What makes you think she's the liability just because she's openly crazy?
recoiling into a delusional shell for self-preservation due to horrific mental trauma isn't necessarily crazy, it's your brain trying to keep things going instead of collapsing into a gibbering wreck

They go interesting places with Yuki and her delusions, I am interested in seeing how the anime handles it

also

Namtab posted:

It's called gakkou gurashi, gaijin scum

Please Enjoy Gakkou Gurashi, ADTRW goons. Thank you!

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I saw the thumbnail/poster for the series on anichart last month, and I decided to just give it a shot. Given the preview poster image, I was expecting some sort of post-apocalyptic sort of thing to happen, so the whole time I was thinking, "Okay, what's gonna happen? When's it gonna happen?"

But as I was watching the episode, something didn't feel right. Kids randomly walking through the hall, the subtle behavior of the other girls (like after the Yuki chased the dog back down from the rooftop, the other girls had very grim appearances,) what appeared to be a cross sticking out of an unplanted area of the garden, and obviously the brief second when Yuki ran through a hallway and the scene focused on the broken windows. I mean, it doesn't take a Sherlock to figure out that something's wrong, but I think it's subtle enough to keep the more attentive viewer's interest piqued 'til the reveal at the end (which gave me hardcore goosebumps; that was some freaky poo poo.)

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Ohh man I love a bait and switch. Now I just have to convince my non-anime watching friends into watching this blind and not shutting it off before it drops the switch.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/07/11/japanese-fan-discovers-interesting-fact-about-school-live-uniforms

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I like the stuff in the background. Also, a rewatch changes a bunch of things in the first episode, like the uncomfortable looks from the younger girl.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 12, 2015

• Locked thread